Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Cameron and Vala are alright, but i just think that their script, acting whatever....lacked. I just think that Jack did a much better job at acting than both Cam and Vala

Comment

See I am feel a little different not about the script but the acting. I see it more as a "writing", "directing" and "show vision\running" issue. I have seen these actors in other things and know they are good. But what the heck can they do with cheesy characters, unnecessarily hammered into a place where they did not fit.

They were the ultimate "fish out of water" and not in the good, well planned, lets see how they react way. It was just that TPTB did not appear to have a plan at the end of S8. They did no setup at all like the Atlantis guys just did at the end of S3 or the SG-1 guys did at the end of S5. It was just cut to break, come back with Brand new show with brand new characters that (in cams case) not only never existed before but was given ZERO reasonable reasons to be there. Then after doing that they castrated him.

They could have easily said Cam had been a member of another SG team and given him some kind of experience. If they wanted him to be in charge they could have easily made it clear WHY he should be in charge other then just "oh...well.....ummmm.... SG-1 broke up...yeah, yeah, that’s it, that’s the ticket". Or if SG-1 was going to break up they could have easily intimated it at some point that that was a possibility. As it was so OOT OOC that it was unbelievable. Then when Carter came back, given cam has no actual experience there most definitely should have been a problem about command that was addressed on screen. But no, just bury your head in the sand and pretend like its not there. Good professional writing there I tell yea /sarcasm

Vala could easy have been a cool Maybouresq anti hero. They possibly could have even made her a full time character consulting the team had they had the skills to do it. Instead they bring her in acting just as criminal as she did in PU and then somehow we are expected to believe the SGC would ever be stupid enough to trust her a THIRD time. Especially after they found out she enslaved a planet for personal gain. Having an known and unrepentant thief on SG-1 is laughable in light of episodes like Shades of Grey.

I guess the best example of it being writing and direction is JACKSON. Because I know MS can act and I know the Daniel character was a great character. But the character was just changed. It wasn’t natural progression, it was throwing out everything about the character that is not useful for the new plot and re-writing him. It was sad. I LIKED Daniel but JACKSON I have no time for, he's an ass.

RDA's acting is what it is but it was the Character of Jack O'Neill that was great. He suffered too under this show runner as the Jack of S7-8 was not as great as the Jack prior. But RDA being an executive producer could at least mitigate what the writers and directors were doing to the character. No wonder they all seemed so happy he finally left so they could get on with creating their new show ... which is basically a spoof of what Stargate had been. It’s a cliché sci-fi show based on boring ships.

Where was the STARGATE in the last ep of Stargate? Gee they gave it a nod at the end of the show. Relegated to the after thought the new TPTB seem to think it is.

The Stargate is the best (and most static) actor-thing on the show.... and they EVEN CHANGED THAT after S9 (wormhole is different). What does that tell you? It’s all on TPTB. Writing\showrunning\directing.
      Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Nice summary of the problem AGateFan. When you're right, you're right.

That is how it looks from this end of the product. And that doesn't even take into account demoting the female 7 years as 2IC then a year as *team lead* to in favor of an inexperienced pilot who never even saw the gate before male *team lead*. Again, that's what the end result looks like *to me*. As if the demotion wasn't bad enough they added a female character they wrote as a hostage-taking, sexually harassing and in her actress's own words "whorelette" and called her "sexy" and "fun". And in the process of making her a "sustainable character" - which they should have done from the first - they subtracted IQ points and added pigtails. But kept the *over*pairing with Action Jackson.

Yeah, I'm a woman with issues. But I think they are reasonable ones.

suse
        Last edited by suse; 01 August 2007, 09:43 PM.
        sigpic
        Mourning Sanctuary.
        Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Working...
        X