This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's all about the money$$$
    And since they got there baby Battlestar Galatica they have decided to clean house.
    And do an anoying wait for the final 10 episodes of Sg-1
    Come see Kingomon's Stargate stories about:
    Poseidon, the Ancient's King and
    new enemy of the Ori
    At: http://www.stargate-sg1.hu/fanfiction/

Comment

Originally posted by Kingomon View Post
      It's all about the money$$$
      And since they got there baby Battlestar Galatica they have decided to clean house.
      And do an anoying wait for the final 10 episodes of Sg-1
      Eck. Yeah and now that they realized their little boo boo BSG's ratings have slipped, MGM has gone behind their backs making two movies, getting a third series greenlighted. Mabey they have realized their mistake?
      Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
      "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
      Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
        I do agree that finacially it may have made sense if the ratings were very low but the seasons lowest rated show was BSG not SG-1.
        But BSG makes them money in other ways, so the ratings are not as important. Even if the ratings are low, it doesn't matter anywhere near as much if they can compensate with DVD sales and airing the show in syndication and in other countries. If they were getting a share of DVDs, syndication and overseas airing with SG-1, the ratings it got may have been enough to merit renewal.

I understand that they had issues with MGMs price but it could have been handled way better and they should have allowed one more season but IMO all they cared about was the record.
        It's very possible that Season Ten was their year to turn things around. Once they had committed to Season Nine, there was going to be a tenth season but, looking at the drop in ratings as Season Nine progressed, I know that in Sci-Fi's shoes, I would have been concerned. I think that the show may have been on probation from the beginning of Season Ten and the ratings for the first five episodes were pretty dismal; 1.4, 1.6, 1.5, 1.3, 1.4.

Maybe it did better than BSG has this year, but it did considerably worse than the last half of Season Nine, which in turn did worse than the first half of Season Nine, which did worse than Season Eight - the ratings weren't just low, they were falling.

Maybe it might have been given another year had it still had the original cast and storylines but given the number of major changes made to the show it is possible that, whether it is true or not, Sci-Fi saw the ratings drop as a rejection of the changes and had no hope that the situation would improve.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
          But BSG makes them money in other ways, so the ratings are not as important. Even if the ratings are low, it doesn't matter anywhere near as much if they can compensate with DVD sales and airing the show in syndication and in other countries. If they were getting a share of DVDs, syndication and overseas airing with SG-1, the ratings it got may have been enough to merit renewal.

It's very possible that Season Ten was their year to turn things around. Once they had committed to Season Nine, there was going to be a tenth season but, looking at the drop in ratings as Season Nine progressed, I know that in Sci-Fi's shoes, I would have been concerned. I think that the show may have been on probation from the beginning of Season Ten and the ratings for the first five episodes were pretty dismal; 1.4, 1.6, 1.5, 1.3, 1.4.

Maybe it did better than BSG has this year, but it did considerably worse than the last half of Season Nine, which in turn did worse than the first half of Season Nine, which did worse than Season Eight - the ratings weren't just low, they were falling.

Maybe it might have been given another year had it still had the original cast and storylines but given the number of major changes made to the show it is possible that, whether it is true or not, Sci-Fi saw the ratings drop as a rejection of the changes and had no hope that the situation would improve.
          Agree about the BSG situation though you could be right about the ratings and if compared to season 9 were lower but not not awful and scifi themselves has said so but it is hard to believe some things scifi says. In truth we may never truly know exactly why it was cancelled.

Comment

Agree about the BSG situation though you could be right about the ratings and if compared to season 9 were lower but not not awful and scifi themselves has said so but it is hard to believe some things scifi says. In truth we may never truly know exactly why it was cancelled.
            Because it's become too expensive to produce, SciFi/NBC/Universal don't own it or make money of it and they needed time slots for their own shows plus ECW. If TPTB were allowed to rebrand the show after season 8 like they wanted to do, 'cause season 9 in fact is the first season of almost the new show, SG-1 would be still on air.

Comment

Originally posted by Truskawka View Post
              Because it's become too expensive to produce, SciFi/NBC/Universal don't own it or make money of it and they needed time slots for their own shows plus ECW.
              Scifi made bundles of money off SG-1. It's called advertisement; You pay X for a series, and you charge X+Y to air commercials during.

If I had to guess, I'd say each season of StarGate cost about 40-45 million dollars to produce. Since ratings are what determines the price for advertisement, the low ratings in season 10 is what ultimately killed SG-1.

If TPTB were allowed to rebrand the show after season 8 like they wanted to do, 'cause season 9 in fact is the first season of almost the new show, SG-1 would be still on air.
              No, StarGate: Command would be on the air, but it's ratings would have probably suffered even more since it would no longer be SG-1.
              Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Because it's become too expensive to produce, SciFi/NBC/Universal don't own it or make money of it and they needed time slots for their own shows plus ECW. If TPTB were allowed to rebrand the show after season 8 like they wanted to do, 'cause season 9 in fact is the first season of almost the new show, SG-1 would be still on air.
                To be honest, I think that it was a huge mistake on TPTB's parts to treat Season Nine as a new show; regardless of what they had wanted to make, they were making SG-1 and it's what the audience expected to see.

Comment

Compared to some other shows, the ratings weren't bad but compared to Season Eight, they were poor and, worse still, dropping. Had they stayed steady at late Season Nine numbers, it might have had a chance but I think once it started Season Ten with 1.4, the next episodes would have had to score 1.7-1.8, minimum, to save it.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
                    Compared to some other shows, the ratings weren't bad but compared to Season Eight, they were poor and, worse still, dropping. Had they stayed steady at late Season Nine numbers, it might have had a chance but I think once it started Season Ten with 1.4, the next episodes would have had to score 1.7-1.8, minimum, to save it.
                    It's possible. If they were a bit higher it may have made a difference but in truth we will likely never know.

Comment

Because they were idiots.

Scifi has form in this.

I think you will find that some bigwig with more power than sense did not like Stargate and killed it as soon as possible. This is on a par with the B5 Crusade issue, which came down to some pen pushing manager not liking sci-fi with spaceships! (PS Horror is not Sci-fi - it is horror, at a push Frankenstein could be described as Sci-Fi, Jekyll and Hyde is Sci-fi but that is about it).

The cost can not have helped. SG-1 has successfully brought Cinema quality FX to TV and that is not cheap!

In addition Sci-fi had a very successful night with the threesome of Stargate, Atlantis and BSG. Once seperated it can be no accident that they all lost audience in the interim.

As for not letting the show go to another channel - words fail me!

Comment

Originally posted by paulschapman View Post
                        Because they were idiots.

Scifi has form in this.

I think you will find that some bigwig with more power than sense did not like Stargate and killed it as soon as possible. This is on a par with the B5 Crusade issue, which came down to some pen pushing manager not liking sci-fi with spaceships! (PS Horror is not Sci-fi - it is horror, at a push Frankenstein could be described as Sci-Fi, Jekyll and Hyde is Sci-fi but that is about it).

The cost can not have helped. SG-1 has successfully brought Cinema quality FX to TV and that is not cheap!

In addition Sci-fi had a very successful night with the threesome of Stargate, Atlantis and BSG. Once seperated it can be no accident that they all lost audience in the interim.

Agree 1000%! They did a grave mistake though I really hope they keep the third series far away from scifi.

Comment

Originally posted by paulschapman View Post

In regards to Sci-Fi breaking up Sci-Fi Friday, that was just pure stupidity on their part. Now they're paying the price (and sadly, so are we).

As for not letting SG-1 be shopped to other channels, that was just spite.
                          sigpic
                          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                          "...phu...ah..."
                          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                            In regards to Sci-Fi breaking up Sci-Fi Friday, that was just pure stupidity on their part. Now they're paying the price (and sadly, so are we).

As for not letting SG-1 be shopped to other channels, that was just spite.
                            Yeah lets just be thankfull that we still have SGA, they could have axed that too.

Comment

If they would have axed both shows it would without a doubt been only a matter of time until they went bankrupt. Hell it might only be a matter of time now. Their flagship show (sorry to those that actually like this show) BSG sucks in comparision to the Stargate franchise!

A very wise man once said...."Reality is an illusion created by a lack of Alcohol."

Comment

Originally posted by Ravroz View Post
                                If they would have axed both shows it would without a doubt been only a matter of time until they went bankrupt. Hell it might only be a matter of time now. Their flagship show (sorry to those that actually like this show) BSG sucks in comparision to the Stargate franchise!
                                Agreed. I tried to like BSG but it was too much IMO. Grant it I love sex and sexual themes as much as the next guy but it was too much IMO. BSG went to far and one of the reasons I love the SG franchise so much is b/c it is a family show.

Comment

Working...
                                X