No announcement yet.

Teal'c's age in "Unending" -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you're right about time travel, however they did not use time travel, they reversed time, before they did that they put the time dialation shield around teal'c so that everything and everyone else was affected by the reversal of time except for teal'c that means that future teal'c never regressed back into past teal'c and that was why there was no old teal'c, at least thats how i read into it.

Comment

Teal'c didn't go back in time.
      Time from the universes perspective didn't change.

Inside the time dilation field it sped up and experienced 50 years or so, then it reversed back to how it was when the field was first activated. Except for Teal'c.

Outside the time dilation field, all this happened in the slightest fraction of a second.
      Thus it will come to pass... the dying leader will know the truth of the opera house... the missing 3 will give you the 5 who have come from the home of the 13th... you are the harbinger of death, Kara Thrace - you will lead them all to their end. End of line.

Comment

ok so i got the semantics wrong... he didnt travel back in time, he was... reversed through time? haha...

but even if ure talking about reversing time around teal'c... i dont think he should've replaced teal'c from that time period... doesnt your body renew itself every 8 years or something? like, eating replaces the chemicals that make up your body over time, so that in 8 years or however long this takes, you're still you, but most of the atoms in your body arent the ones that made up your body 8 years ago?

so what im asking is... did they get the "science" wrong, or was there another explanation?

Comment

He didn't replace a different Teal'c. There was no other Teal'c to replace because there was no time travel involved.
          Time was sped up in the ship, then it was reversed back to its original state within the field, but Teal'c remained untouched. No one traveled time so there was always only 1 version of each character.
          Thus it will come to pass... the dying leader will know the truth of the opera house... the missing 3 will give you the 5 who have come from the home of the 13th... you are the harbinger of death, Kara Thrace - you will lead them all to their end. End of line.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Fonz_Solo View Post
            you're right about time travel, however they did not use time travel, they reversed time, before they did that they put the time dialation shield around teal'c so that everything and everyone else was affected by the reversal of time except for teal'c that means that future teal'c never regressed back into past teal'c and that was why there was no old teal'c, at least thats how i read into it.
            Can't argue with that really.

Comment

-_- ok forget i called it "science"... call it logic or common sense... ok so 50 years pass... in that time, teal'c has been eating food and through normal metabolism, his cells have replaced the the matter that makes up his body with the new material he has eaten. once every 8 years or so, his body's matter has been completely replaced by new matter... this has happened several times, so its safe to say that most of the matter in teal'c's body after 50 years, is totally different than the matter that he started out with... main point: the teal'c that's 50 years older is made up of atoms completely separate from the ones he started out with, going into this timeout... so, when the ship was rewound back to when they created the time dilation field, if the matter that teal'c had at the start of the time dilation was rewound (not the matter that the teal'c that is 50 years older is made up of) then the teal'c in the beginning wouldnt have been replaced by the tealc that is 50 years older...

does that make sense...? does anyone understand me...? and finds me incorrect? or correct...?

Comment

Originally posted by Charles17 View Post
                -_- ok forget i called it "science"... call it logic or common sense... ok so 50 years pass... in that time, teal'c has been eating food and through normal metabolism, his cells have replaced the the matter that makes up his body with the new material he has eaten. once every 8 years or so, his body's matter has been completely replaced by new matter... this has happened several times, so its safe to say that most of the matter in teal'c's body after 50 years, is totally different than the matter that he started out with... main point: the teal'c that's 50 years older is made up of atoms completely separate from the ones he started out with, going into this timeout... so, when the ship was rewound back to when they created the time dilation field, if the matter that teal'c had at the start of the time dilation was rewound (not the matter that the teal'c that is 50 years older is made up of) then the teal'c in the beginning wouldnt have been replaced by the tealc that is 50 years older...

does that make sense...? does anyone understand me...? and finds me incorrect? or correct...?
                I understand what you are saying but Teal'c was protected from the reversal of time by a shield. Time travel was not involved so there was no other teal'c to be replaced.
                Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                  I understand what you are saying but Teal'c was protected from the reversal of time by a shield. Time travel was not involved so there was no other teal'c to be replaced.
                  yup he's the same old teal'c we have followed for 10 years just a lot older ow.
                  https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

This is why I hate it when any sci-fi show used time travel. Time travel did occur, but it was localized the the dilation field.

Also since the field was never activated how did carter do that research which was brought back.

Comment

Originally posted by hypochondriac View Post
                      This is why I hate it when any sci-fi show used time travel. Time travel did occur, but it was localized the the dilation field.

Also since the field was never activated how did carter do that research which was brought back.
                      Because time was still moving forward from the universes perspective. She did do that research, but in only a fraction of a second "universe time", then she reverted back to how she was before doing the research, but the research wasn't affected. It wasn't really time travel because those 50 years still took a few milliseconds of real time, which couldn't be undone. So it was more like a state reversal, everything inside the field changed to the state it was in when the field was created.

There are certainly problems with the scenario though. Like how did they escape the blast when there shouldn't have been enough time? The whole problem was that no matter what they did, there wouldn't be enough time to execute a plan. Carter says they can only reverse time in the field, and only to the point the field was created. The Ori blast was already too close at that point, so it shouldn't have helped them escape. Carter also said she may be able to give them an extra minute, but they don't mention how she could do that. That would only be possible if she could reverse time for the entire universe, which she already said she can't do. They contradicted themselves there

I just choose to ignore that problem though, they needed a way to write them out of that situation. There will almost always be minor problems when dealing with time dilation/reversal/travel etc...

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidKal View Post
                        Because time was still moving forward from the universes perspective. She did do that research, but in only a fraction of a second "universe time", then she reverted back to how she was before doing the research, but the research wasn't affected. It wasn't really time travel because those 50 years still took a few milliseconds of real time, which couldn't be undone. So it was more like a state reversal, everything inside the field changed to the state it was in when the field was created.

There are certainly problems with the scenario though. Like how did they escape the blast when there shouldn't have been enough time? The whole problem was that no matter what they did, there wouldn't be enough time to execute a plan. Carter says they can only reverse time in the field, and only to the point the field was created. The Ori blast was already too close at that point, so it shouldn't have helped them escape. Carter also said she may be able to give them an extra minute, but they don't mention how she could do that. That would only be possible if she could reverse time for the entire universe, which she already said she can't do. They contradicted themselves there

I just choose to ignore that problem though, they needed a way to write them out of that situation. There will almost always be minor problems when dealing with time dilation/reversal/travel etc...
                        The crystal Teal'c brought back allowed us to jump to hyperspace and get the hell out of there.

Comment

The crystal Teal'c brought back allowed us to jump to hyperspace and get the hell out of there.
                          Yeah, i understand that.
                          The crystal contained a program to isolate the Asgard core and jump to Hyperspace.
                          But Carter had said earlier that there was not enough time. There was 0.08 seconds (or 0.8, I can't remember) until the Beam hit the ship. Either way, there was no where near enough time for Teal'c to even give Carter the crystal. She also wrote that program a long time ago for the event that they solve the time problem.

Somehow they gained a minute before the field was activated, which shouldn't have happened based on what Carter said. Unless I missed something, but I've seen the ep 3 times now, so I don't think so.

Ultimately it doesn't matter though. If it was just a necessary inconsistency I can live with that
                          And the episode was awesome overall!

Comment

Yeah, i understand that.
                            The crystal contained a program to isolate the Asgard core and jump to Hyperspace.
                            But Carter had said earlier that there was not enough time. There was 0.08 seconds (or 0.8, I can't remember) until the Beam hit the ship. Either way, there was no where near enough time for Teal'c to even give Carter the crystal. She also wrote that program a long time ago for the event that they solve the time problem.

Somehow they gained a minute before the field was activated, which shouldn't have happened based on what Carter said. Unless I missed something, but I've seen the ep 3 times now, so I don't think so.

Ultimately it doesn't matter though. If it was just a necessary inconsistency I can live with that
                            And the episode was awesome overall!
                            Teal'c materialized in the room where Carter was and allowed it to happen but time is never correct in movies tv. An example I love giving is the countdown on the bomb in Stargate:The Movie. It says like 5 minutes and it is like 8-10 in reality. It might be aplot hole but the episode was awsome enough to ignore that mistake.

Comment

Teal'c materialized in the room where Carter was and allowed it to happen but time is never correct in movies tv. An example I love giving is the countdown on the bomb in Stargate:The Movie. It says like 5 minutes and it is like 8-10 in reality. It might be aplot hole but the episode was awsome enough to ignore that mistake.
                              Yes, I agree. I do believe it is a mistake, but easy enough to ignore.
                              Just something that I was thinking about.

Comment

Yes, I agree. I do believe it is a mistake, but easy enough to ignore.
                                Just something that I was thinking about.
                                Agree. The ep was awsome. I usually let the small things slide.

Comment

Working...
                                X