No announcement yet.

Why the Ancients won't interfere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I told my earlier idea in an other thread, but I will repeat here. I think that the Ori get energy from the follower's faith, but the Ancients get energy from using their tehcnology. This is similar to LOST - "man of science (Alterran), man of faith" (Ori) as the two main philosophical directive about life. I think that the Alterrans were completly forgotten after the ascension. The first Goa'uld System Lords used the Ha'taks and the travelling by stargate was not allowed for servants between planets. But now, thanks to SG-1, more people use stargates, ring platforms, ancient designed engines and shields, they will be more and more powerful. So the Alterrans don't need to do anything, they have to wait, also they won't make any miracle.
    Last edited by Platschu; 16 February 2007, 02:51 AM.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
      I told my earlier idea in an other thread, but I will repeat here. I think that the Ori get energy from the follower's faith, but the Ancients get energy from using their tehcnology. This is similar to LOST - "man of science (Alterran), man of faith" (Ori) as the two main philosophical directive about kife. I think that the Alterrans were completly forgotten after the ascension. The first Goa'uld System Lords used the Ha'taks and the travelling by stargate was not allowed for servants between planets. But now, thanks to SG-1, more people use stargates, ring platforms, ancient designed engines and shields, they will be more and more powerful. So the Alterrans don't need to do anything, they have to wait, also they won't make any miracle.
      That's actually a very interesting idea (might explain why the Ancients left so much advanced technology just lying about), but Ancient technology uses up energy, it's highly unlikely that some of that energy is also transferred to the ascended Ancients (it would be an even bigger drain on ZPMs).

However, we have seen how knowledge of the Ancients has spread over the ten years that SG-1 has been airing. At first, everybody thought the Goa'uld created all their tech, but now most people know about the Ancients and their roles in creating not only technology, but seeding all human life in the galaxy (and beyond). Now, Orlin said in "Fourth Horseman" that the process of drawing energy from your followers wasn't simple, but he never said that actual worship was required, merely many humans must "relinquish their will". With the Goa'uld defeated, and many human-populated planets now missing their "gods", it's only natural that some of them would see the Ancients as "true Gods" (they know all, see all, created us and sheltered us from evil; they sound like Gods to me).

Maybe knowledge and belief in the Ancients by so many people in our galaxy and Pegasus allows for the Ancients togain energy from them. The fact that they left behind so much advanced technology would only strength that belief for some people. For beings that don't like to "interfere" with our plane of existance least they become like the Ori and become corrupt with power sapped from the lower planes, the Ancients sure have a funny way of trying not to appear god-like.
      Coming soon to Syfy and DVD... hopefully!

Comment

Originally posted by Calhoun View Post
        That's actually a very interesting idea (might explain why the Ancients left so much advanced technology just lying about), but Ancient technology uses up energy, it's highly unlikely that some of that energy is also transferred to the ascended Ancients (it would be an even bigger drain on ZPMs).
        Bah, you're over-thinking this. Ancients are OLD. And old people leave their stuff lying around cause they have the memory span of a goldfish.

In any case I don't see how wiping out the Ori helps SG1's cause... The Ori never directly interferes anyway.

Comment

maybe the Ori are more powerful than the ancients. maybe the ancients were a tear off group to the Ori and didnt believe in their ways. much like the Tok'ra and the Goa'uld

P.s probably not but just a thought
          Thankyou SG-1 for 10 great years!
          sigpic
          sig made by kidwizz

join Stargate Atlantis: save the lost city and lets get our show back

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
            It's never been stated as being able to destroy the Orii, just that it would create a wave or pulse which would be the exact opposite of the energy an ascended being becomes and in essence just cancelling them out.

The wave could have killed them, could have drastically weakened them or hell, maybe it cancelled their energy turning them Alteran again, like some sort of failsafe incase it was against the Ancients
            Exactly. I doubt it kills them just weakens or strips them of the force.
            Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
            "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
            Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Zamboni View Post
              Wow, load of good that did, the Ori soldiers still run around with Adria spreading their belief... Daniel did more damage to Milky Way than its enemy.
              As the episode said, just because you got rid of the Ori doesn't mean you got rid of their followers. They still have legions upon legions of soldiers and Priors willing to die for them, which is bad enough. At least with the Ori gone we don't have to worry about new ships being built or new Ancient technologies being thrown at us.

And now we don't have to worry about the Ori being able to directly affect the galaxy. That's a battle on a scale that we simply have no hope of fighting, let alone winning. Their ships and priests and soldiers are beatable, the ascended Ori are not.
              sigpic
              http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Originally Posted by Platschu View Post
                I told my earlier idea in an other thread, but I will repeat here. I think that the Ori get energy from the follower's faith, but the Ancients get energy from using their tehcnology. This is similar to LOST - "man of science (Alterran), man of faith" (Ori) as the two main philosophical directive about kife. I think that the Alterrans were completly forgotten after the ascension. The first Goa'uld System Lords used the Ha'taks and the travelling by stargate was not allowed for servants between planets. But now, thanks to SG-1, more people use stargates, ring platforms, ancient designed engines and shields, they will be more and more powerful. So the Alterrans don't need to do anything, they have to wait, also they won't make any miracle.
                I hate to speculate, I simply look at what was said on the show, and simple logic. The reasoning they gave was that the sangral cancels out the Ori. Whatever that means exactly, we know that if used the ascended Ori are no longer a threat to the Milky Galaxy or Ascended Ancients on their plane. Their followers, however, are. As for the theory that the Ancient technology gives them power like the Ori followers give the Ori power by worship just doesn't make sense logically. If that were the case the ascended ancients would just build technology that gives them the most energy and activiate it themselves over and over. We've seen ascended ancients take human form and interact with this plane. They also appear to be able to manipulate lower planes without taking corporial form. Plus, the Ori followers wouldn't be targeting humans to get stronger, they would be destroying Ancient technology in the galaxy to weaken the ascended Ancients. As far as the theory that Ancients fear being corrupted by stealing the will of followers and ending up like the Ori doesn't make sense, because the writers have never said the Ori were corrupted by power. They specifically said that they are bent on destroying the Ancients because of their differences in philosophy which lead to the war between the two factions (science vs. religion.) They've said this was the disagreement which led to the war between the two in the first place, which is why the Ancients left their home galaxy. The writers have only ever said the Ancients don't interfere with lower planes of existance because they have laws prohibiting the intentional aiding of evolution (whether it be technological, philosophical, etc.) A good example is when Orlin helped a civilization build a weapon to defend against the Gou'ald and then used it against their neighbors wiping out their civilization. It could be any number of things. They may just think they're better than humans, it may be for our own protection because they don't think we're ready, or it could be for some reason that has never been explained. Who knows.
                Last edited by jrd231; 16 February 2007, 11:41 AM.

Comment

This may sound like its coming from left feild, but...

Spoiler:
                  Maybe humanity or other sentient beings are like drugs to ascended beings and the alterans dont wish to get addicted

what do you guys think.
                  Check out My directorial work (please leave comment. if possible).

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=coreyeasy

Or,

Leave comment on the off topic board.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=29121

Comment

Originally posted by Artha O'neill View Post
                    This may sound like its coming from left feild, but...

Spoiler:
                    Maybe humanity or other sentient beings are like drugs to ascended beings and the alterans dont wish to get addicted

what do you guys think.
                    Sort of I guess. My theory is that the more they interfere the more the risk of turning into what the Ori became. As Merlin stated the Ori atarted out with the best of intentions.
                    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch_Razor View Post
                      Well we learned to kill the Ori ourselves didn't we maybe it's better this way or we'd be begging the ancients for everything.
                      Good point. Perhaps they saw that from a planet they DID interfere in, where they started to give advice/help out, and eventually it turned into where the locals did not do for themselves cause they knew the ancients would 'bail' them out..

Originally posted by LORD MONK View Post
                      They can't interfere because it is the law and I don't think they made that law. Someone else will enforce it if they brake it has a hole. Because if that wasn't the case then why don't the Ori just act. I will tell you, it's becasue they are affraid of someone more powerfull stepping in and bringing order.
                      That is also a possibility.. Remember Oma said assention is only ONE of the paths to power and there were many levels (or something like that..)..

Originally posted by Zamboni View Post
                      a) The "bomb" doesn't kill the Ori at all, but simply shield them from siphoning power from Tom Cruise.
                      Perhaps that is what it does... put up some sort of 'shield/barrier' between the physical realm and the energy plane..

Originally posted by Calhoun View Post
                      Maybe knowledge and belief in the Ancients by so many people in our galaxy and Pegasus allows for the Ancients togain energy from them. The fact that they left behind so much advanced technology would only strength that belief for some people. For beings that don't like to "interfere" with our plane of existance least they become like the Ori and become corrupt with power sapped from the lower planes, the Ancients sure have a funny way of trying not to appear god-like.
                      Interesting idea... and perhaps why they DID that.. cause they knew the "love' people in our galaxy have for using/manipulating tech, would be like the 'faith' those int he Ori galaxy had for the Ori... But this way, they are not having to force it on us.

Originally posted by jrd231 View Post
                      As for the theory that the Ancient technology gives them power like the Ori followers give the Ori power by worship just doesn't make sense logically. If that were the case the ascended ancients would just build technology that gives them the most energy and activiate it themselves over and over. We've seen ascended ancients take human form and interact with this plane. They also appear to be able to manipulate lower planes without taking corporial form. Plus, the Ori followers wouldn't be targeting humans to get stronger, they would be destroying Ancient technology in the galaxy to weaken the ascended Ancients.
                      I disagree. First off, the ;worship' part for the tech, might come into it, from those less advanced, "marveling" at the tech, which in some peoples minds, is the same as marveling at a god. Second on the Ori warriors destroying it,, that would assume the Ori know about it.

Comment

Working...
                      X