Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Teams of 4-5? What happened to OVERWHELMING FORCE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think that sending to many people in a team is bad, stealth is a big factor sometimes though i think a platoon of troops could help , but as said before more sheep to the slaughter

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space
      Snipers wouldn't be helpful in a good majority of the battlefields we see (i.e.- deserts) and don't Navy Seals specialize in areas with water near-by? I'd go with Marines in the terrain SG1 goes to.
      i think the point was that the real military does use small units in many situtations. it makes sense that the SGC would. they don't have the authorized resources or people, the transportation, or the reason to pull off so-called "overwhelming force". they usually tend to use the right degree of force for their mission. and to be completely beside the point, has it been proven that most of the battlefields are deserts?
      sigpic
      "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
      Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

how would you explain entire brigades or even divisions suddenly going missing from the US Army's TO&E?

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
          how would you explain entire brigades or even divisions suddenly going missing from the US Army's TO&E?
          LIES! it's all lies!
          sigpic
          "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities View Post
            i think the point was that the real military does use small units in many situtations. it makes sense that the SGC would. they don't have the authorized resources or people, the transportation, or the reason to pull off so-called "overwhelming force". they usually tend to use the right degree of force for their mission. and to be completely beside the point, has it been proven that most of the battlefields are deserts?
            Well no most battlefields arent deserts. You are right about them not having enough resources to pull off overwhelming force every mission. And it's not needed every time. A 4 or 5 man team is enough for scouting, recon and stealth. When backup is needed they esend extra SG teams. Until it is needed it's overkill.
            Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
            "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
            Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Isn't SG1's goal reconassaince and stealth sort of operations? That's what I have been told and if that is true then it makes little sense for them to go in guns blazing.

I am also told there are other larger teams? . . .

Comment

Originally posted by B O Y S C O U T View Post
                Isn't SG1's goal reconassaince and stealth sort of operations? That's what I have been told and if that is true then it makes little sense for them to go in guns blazing.

I am also told there are other larger teams? . . .
                No all teams are 4-5 men. But yes Sg-1's goal is reconassaince and stealth and to attack as necesarry.

Comment

Is all parts of the army involved in Stargate Command or is it just the air force and marines?

Comment

Originally posted by Sweetsong View Post
                    Is all parts of the army involved in Stargate Command or is it just the air force and marines?
                    I don't recall the Army but I could be wrong.

Comment

It would probably be pretty hard to put together a large formation of men with the necessary security clearance to even be in the SGC to go without notice to the rest of miliary personnel.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                        Well no most battlefields arent deserts. You are right about them not having enough resources to pull off overwhelming force every mission. And it's not needed every time. A 4 or 5 man team is enough for scouting, recon and stealth. When backup is needed they esend extra SG teams. Until it is needed it's overkill.
                        exactly...isn't that what i said?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities View Post
                          exactly...isn't that what i said?
                          Sorry I was tired and misread your post. ooops

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
                            It does not make sense for the SGC to still be sending out teams of 4. Aren't they at war? Wouldn't you expect a dozen or so Marines or Army Rangers tagging along, especially with 2 Lt. Colonels to command. Aside from priors and Adria Tau'ri soldiers are at least as effective as Ori soldiers.

The American policy is (at least "was") to use overwhelming force, did Hayes, O'Niell, and Landry take a page out of Bush jr.'s book?

Teams of 4 made sense for s1-9.5, because it was rarely an all-out war with the Gould, and small teams were optimal for exploration. But now there's a full scale war with the Ori, and ground offensive is the only area they can compete with them.

Before the US invasion of Afghanistan, they sent 2 (TWO) Special Operations soldiers as US representatives to meet, negotiate, and recruit/ally with the Northern Alliance (a bunch of Afghan militia groups who were at war with the Taliban.

This is how SG1 and the other SG teams operate. They're basically a recon, first contact, and skirmish group. Not a full blown invasion force...

As for your suggestion to fight the Ori at a ground war.... ever heard of ORI fighter and starships, and PRIORS who ALWAYS accompany the Ori Crusader Army? They're the reason why it's best to send a few, rather than many incase of a possible slaughter.
                            http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
                            http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

Originally posted by Peoples_General View Post
                              Before the US invasion of Afghanistan, they sent 2 (TWO) Special Operations soldiers as US representatives to meet, negotiate, and recruit/ally with the Northern Alliance (a bunch of Afghan militia groups who were at war with the Taliban.

This is how SG1 and the other SG teams operate. They're basically a recon, first contact, and skirmish group. Not a full blown invasion force...

As for your suggestion to fight the Ori at a ground war.... ever heard of ORI fighter and starships, and PRIORS who ALWAYS accompany the Ori Crusader Army? They're the reason why it's best to send a few, rather than many incase of a possible slaughter.
                              Those Spec Ops guys parajumped there with mindbogling amounts of cash...nothing talks like money

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
                                It does not make sense for the SGC to still be sending out teams of 4. Aren't they at war? Wouldn't you expect a dozen or so Marines or Army Rangers tagging along, especially with 2 Lt. Colonels to command. Aside from priors and Adria Tau'ri soldiers are at least as effective as Ori soldiers.

The American policy is (at least "was") to use overwhelming force, did Hayes, O'Niell, and Landry take a page out of Bush jr.'s book?

Teams of 4 made sense for s1-9.5, because it was rarely an all-out war with the Gould, and small teams were optimal for exploration. But now there's a full scale war with the Ori, and ground offensive is the only area they can compete with them.
                                SG Teams are supposed to be the elite of the elite. And like what was said before, US Military special forces groups (no matter what branch they come from) are experts at unconventional warfare.

Special Forces (AKA: Green Beret) A-Teams (Yes, they're really called that) is a 6 man group of highly trained, highly effective fighting force who's mission, normally is not to attack the enemy directly but to make contact, organize and train the local population or resistance fighters in the fight against the enemy.

I don't know about you but that sure sounds a lot like the SGC mission statement.

Why did I enlist during a time of war? Because I'm "Army Strong," not "Army Smart."

Forget this "Army of One" BS. I signed up to "Be all that I can be!"

Comment

Working...
                                X