Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kpnuts View Post
    They wish.

Hang on, are you talking about how they put shadows on the grass?? And 'that' makes it look real?? LMAO.

It looks pants (imo of course)
    No, on the wings. On the underside of the wings I meant.

Spoiler:

"...it looks pants..." - What do you mean by "pants"?
    Last edited by Dark Falcon; 05 January 2007, 08:49 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

I'm thinking "pants" = "bad".

Well, IMHO a living, and MOVING creature is a lot more difficult for SFX artists than ships and stuff like that. I hate to bash Enterprise, but did you see the Gorn in "In a Mirror, Darkly Part 2"? Geez...but, luckily the Defiant compensated for that.

Comment

Terrible CGI. So what if it's on a tv show budget? Don't tell me that now the special effects are getting lazy just like the writing! Enterprise and Battlestar Gallactica had/have amazing visual effects and they're tv shows.
        The quality is on par with other TV series. The Cylon centurions in nBSG have similar blending problems in an outdoor environment which is a bit less noticeable because they're a relatively straightforward metal material. The best example of composited character CG in Enterprise was the Gorn in the mirror universe episode and it wasn't any better even though it was shown in a darkly lit hallway. Xindi insectoids? Never shown in daylight.

Originally posted by Falcon_06 View Post
        No, on the wings. On the underside of the wings I meant.
        Looks like global illumination to me (some green light reflecting from the grass onto the wings, you also see blue lighting from the sky where the legs are in shadow). Probably just a good lighting set up rather than real global illumination rendering.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
          I'm thinking "pants" = "bad".

Well, IMHO a living, and MOVING creature is a lot more difficult for SFX artists than ships and stuff like that. I hate to bash Enterprise, but did you see the Gorn in "In a Mirror, Darkly Part 2"? Geez...but, luckily the Defiant compensated for that.
          True the Gorn was truly awful lol. I see what you mean about living, breathing creatures being harder to model but still...

Comment

True the Gorn was truly awful lol. I see what you mean about living, breathing creatures being harder to model but still...
            You know, that same problem appears in just about every television show/ movie I've seen. The reason Stargate usually looks so great is because they hardly ever have all-CGI creatures.
            Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
            Yes, I am!
            sigpic
            Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
            Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
            Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
              You know, that same problem appears in just about every television show/ movie I've seen. The reason Stargate usually looks so great is because they hardly ever have all-CGI creatures.
              I think it's because movies like Lord of the Rings have set the bar so high that anything else looks pale by comparison. Still that isn't really an excuse as to why it looks bad... It means they need to work with their limits and not try to match the big budget VFX that people are pretty much expecting these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
                I think it's because movies like Lord of the Rings have set the bar so high that anything else looks pale by comparison. Still that isn't really an excuse as to why it looks bad... It means they need to work with their limits and not try to match the big budget VFX that people are pretty much expecting these days.
                Actually, I'm counting LOTR in those films. The only exceptino is Gollum, and I think a part of the reason he worked out so well is because of th emotion capture bits. When they had an all CGI monster - like the Balrog or the troll - it looked CGI, just like any other movie/ television show.
                As a matter pf fact, both SG1 and SGA have one of the best VFX department I've seen in television, if not the best.
                Yes, I am!
                sigpic
                Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Actually, I'm counting LOTR in those films. The only exceptino is Gollum, and I think a part of the reason he worked out so well is because of th emotion capture bits. When they had an all CGI monster - like the Balrog or the troll - it looked CGI, just like any other movie/ television show.
                  As a matter pf fact, both SG1 and SGA have one of the best VFX department I've seen in television, if not the best.
                  What are you on? Gollum was incredibly done, as were the vast majority of CGI on Lord of the Rings.

SG1/SGA best CGI on television??? Puuhleeease.

I'm afraid that award would go to the likes of Enterprise or Battlestar Gallactica. Stargate's special effects have gotten better but still not a patch on either of those.

Comment

What are you on? Gollum was incredibly done, as were the vast majority of CGI on Lord of the Rings.

I'm afraid that award would go to the likes of Enterprise or Battlestar Gallactica. Stargate's special effects have gotten better but still not a patch on either of those.
                    I have to agree. although SG1/SGA's CGI has been exceptional in some areas( stargate event horizon, Atlantis, various ships) There are still some that are better. LOTR is a great example as well as SW. and yes, Gollum was very incredible( except the first TTT night scene). And the Balrog and troll were incredibly done as well. They weren't like the poor CGI seen on the normal Scifi movies. But the dragon does look fake. In fact, its probably among the worst of SG1's CGI models( among those being the 'Crystal Skull' alien).
                    Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                    encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                    3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                    4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                    5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Er, about Gollu, that's what I said. I'm talking about all CGI creatures, like the troll and the Balrog, both from fellowship. And BTW, even Gollum, at some point, you could spot was only CGI. You know hat they say about CGI? The less you notice it, the better it is done. My point about CGI as general could very well be deduced from Gollum - whenever they used the motion capture technique, he came out amazing. In the scenes they couldn't - for example, when he's crouching above Sam and Frodo in the beginning of Two Towers and trying to catch the ring - that's where you spot the CGI, and it becomes apparent, and TBH ruins a bit - for me.

As for SG1 and SGA... well, from the little I've seen from BSG adn Enterprise, I wasn't impressed - but then, I would admit to have seen very little of both. I do recall I've used the "best VFX I've seen on television" bit.
                      Yes, I am!
                      sigpic
                      Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Er, about Gollu, that's what I said. I'm talking about all CGI creatures, like the troll and the Balrog, both from fellowship. And BTW, even Gollum, at some point, you could spot was only CGI. You know hat they say about CGI? The less you notice it, the better it is done. My point about CGI as general could very well be deduced from Gollum - whenever they used the motion capture technique, he came out amazing. In the scenes they couldn't - for example, when he's crouching above Sam and Frodo in the beginning of Two Towers and trying to catch the ring - that's where you spot the CGI, and it becomes apparent, and TBH ruins a bit - for me.

As for SG1 and SGA... well, from the little I've seen from BSG adn Enterprise, I wasn't impressed - but then, I would admit to have seen very little of both. I do recall I've used the "best VFX I've seen on television" bit.
                        TBH i could always see throughout LOTR that Gollum was just CGI, the only film that's ever convinced me the CGI was real was in Hulk, I haven't seen a film yet that has matched that.

As for BSG and Enterprise well really both those shows only deal with ships (enterprise has used creatures a few times but looked terrible imo), stargate is adventurous and challenges itself by using creatures and pull it off pretty damn well imo.

Comment

Ok it's pointless comparing Lord of the Rings CGI and Stargates because 1 is an example of the most perfect special effects in cinema history and the other is an example of fairly average to good looking effects for a television show.

I don't believe Stargate has ever won an Emmy for visual effects and if they churn out more stuff like that dragon then I can't see them ever winning anything.

Having said that part 2 of the quest is on tonight and it's possible that those are early composites. Perhaps the moving, final version will look better.

Comment

Thankfully, the final version wasn't QUITE as bad as those screencaps. Having said that they were taken from the final cut and that shot is still as cringeworthy, but the others are fine.

Comment

Thankfully, the final version wasn't QUITE as bad as those screencaps. Having said that they were taken from the final cut and that shot is still as cringeworthy, but the others are fine.
                              Yeah, they look fine to me
                              sigpic

Comment

Watching the episode now!
                                I HATE SY-FY

Comment

Working...
                                X