This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Webgodfather View Post
    I started watching SG-1 at season 7, then quickly watched ALL seasons, all episodes.

I have been thoroughly impressed by the evolution of the story. I loved the movie, but never watched the show till year 7.

Just because someone at Sci-Fi made a bone headed scheduling change we have to stop the story??? I think the Ori thing could go much further than the Goauld thing.

Now BSG has suffered in the ratings, SG-1 is vanishing, SG-A is awesome and I am glad it is growing.

Can't we just publicly execute the person for changing the schedule at Sci-Fi, OR, is there no creative power in the Sci-Fi marketing machine that can create a way back to green pastures?

I for one would be willing to pay for the continuation of the show. (online purchase of episodes) But that shouldn't be necc.

C'mon Sci-fi, learn from a mistake, don't go on to make a bigger one. Everyone makes them, but you have a chance to in humility boost the loyalty factor with your viewers enormously, by communicating your commitment to them. (there is money in humility too)

Anyway, blah blah. I will go now back to the real world and leave my feelings of betrayal in this message. It is just a show, but the story intrigues many of us. It is sad that I do not have the finances to support the continuation of the broadcasting of this brilliant show. (starting my own tv network)

Respectfully Yours,

The WebGodFather
    We've been lobbying for bad things to happen to Hammer & Co for months.

Unfortunately, Sci-Fi is like the company Dilbert works for:
    They're reaaaaally bad at figured out what they're doing wrong. If something goes wrong, it's obviously not the fault of the executives and decision makers, but obviously the fault of their "employees" (the shows).

So they reorganize, they fire (cancel) shows and when it all goes wrong, they blame the market (us) and the employees (shows).

They'll screw the customers (us) over for profit by making really bad decisions that give momentary revenue, hence making them look good and worthy of fat bonuses.

You know that Pointy-Haired Boss who's stupid beyond belief? All the Sci-Fi execs are like that.

Comment

Webgodfather, THANK YOU so much for your post. It was my first laugh of the day.....and trust me, I doubt many more will be forthcoming. You deserve green for it, and I'll get you some, promise.

Thanks again and it's too bad they outlawed public stocks.....I'd love to see Hammer and Stern in one.
      On fighting:
      Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
      Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

(First post in months.) Very good post.

I myself cannot say that it's ended aloud without getting raspy...

Comment

Originally posted by Lida View Post
          Webgodfather, THANK YOU so much for your post. It was my first laugh of the day.....and trust me, I doubt many more will be forthcoming. You deserve green for it, and I'll get you some, promise.

Thanks again and it's too bad they outlawed public stocks.....I'd love to see Hammer and Stern in one.
          Nah what we need to do is tie them to posts butt ass naked and start tearing 100 dollar bills in half and burning them till they scream and give in to our demands.
          Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
          "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
          Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
            Other than the BBC and probably a few others, the only reason channels make good shows is for money, it's a pretty sad state of affairs but that's the way it is
            TV has fallen to the Darksde of money.

I still go with my revenge earlier.
            Come see Kingomon's Stargate stories about:
            Poseidon, the Ancient's King and
            new enemy of the Ori
            At: http://www.stargate-sg1.hu/fanfiction/

Comment

Oh for goodness sake.

SG-1 has had ten seasons. TEN. Do you know how lucky it is that they got that far? Better shows have been cancelled in season 1. Better shows were not picked up by another network when they weren't renewed after season 5.

Speaking of which, am I the only one who remembers how grateful every was when Sci-Fi did pick up SG-1? Showtime didn't want it. It had already been on the air for five years, chances are it wouldn't have lasted much longer...or that's what the network would have thought. And it's clear to see from the way the contracts were negotiated and the season arcs were written that every year, they honestly believed it was the last one. And every year, Sci-Fi granted us a respite and gave us a new season.

Until now, when the producers themselves have told us that by this point, it makes very little profit. Only phenomenal ratings could have saved it.

"But they didn't give it a chance! They didn't advertise it! They moved timeslots!" So? Have you people never heard of TV guides? It's been running for ten years. Surely if people want to watch it, they'll watch it. Sci-Fi decided to promote their new shows, which nobody knows about. They knew that even if SG-1 lasted another year, it wouldn't last forever. They need a replacement. So they adertised their new show. Battlestar Galactica no longer the lead-in show? It wasn't the lead-in show the first couple of years either.

"But what about Doctor Who! They still make that after 28 seasons!"

One, Doctor Who is made by the BBC, who are completely different to any network in America. Two, the cast changes every couple of seasons. I believe that would defeat the purpose of continuing SG-1.

"They didn't let other networks pick it up! They totally would have!" It was in the contract that another network couldn't pick it up. And, to be honest, to say that other networks would leap at the chance is ridiculous, for the same reason that SG-1 was cancelled in the first place.

"TV is about quality entertainment!"...I don't think I even need to respond to that. Yes, it should be about that, but it isn't.

SG-1 was cancelled by Showtime in season 5. The Sci-Fi channel has given us five more seasons of Stargate than I'd ever thought I'd see. It's given us a spin-off series heading for four seasons. It's producing another spin-off. After cancelling the SG-1 series because it was costing them too much money, they have said they will give the fans not one but two tv movies.

Make no mistake, the Stargate franchise would not be what it is today without the Sci-Fi channel. Did they make mistakes? Oh, undoubedtly. Nobody is perfect. Would it be great if there was a season 11? Yeah. And 12, 13, 14, 15...it would be great if it could go on forever, but it can't. I'll say it again: ten seasons. That's a lot more than most shows get, and yet, I've never seen any group of fans more petulant and whiny about their show not being renewed. Not Firefly, cancelled mid-first season. Not Angel, which failed to get a season 6. Not any of the Star Treks, or Oddyssey 5, or Jake 2.0, or Invasion, or Mutant X, or Birds of Prey, or any of the other shows that have been cancelled in the past few years.

Yes, we all love SG-1. Yes, we all want more of it. But complaining about Sci-Fi like a bunch of spoiled children is not going to do any good. Please conduct yourself with the dignity that I hope all Gaters posess.
              To TPTB and SciFi: thank you for ten wonderful years of SG-1. Thank you for three slightly less wonderful but still very good years of Atlantis, may there be many more to come. Thank you for the two SG-1 movies and the new spin-off being considered. SciFi, thank you for picking up SG-1 when it was cancelled after its fifth season, few other networks would even consider a show with so many season already behind it.

Mistakes have been made, but we are all only human, and coming up on fourteen season DVD box sets and two DVD movies are more than good enough for me.

Comment

Sci-Fi Channel = STUPID

LOL!
                http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
                http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

Originally posted by Teotl View Post
                  Oh for goodness sake.

SG-1 has had ten seasons. TEN. Do you know how lucky it is that they got that far? Better shows have been cancelled in season 1. Better shows were not picked up by another network when they weren't renewed after season 5.

Speaking of which, am I the only one who remembers how grateful every was when Sci-Fi did pick up SG-1? Showtime didn't want it. It had already been on the air for five years, chances are it wouldn't have lasted much longer...or that's what the network would have thought. And it's clear to see from the way the contracts were negotiated and the season arcs were written that every year, they honestly believed it was the last one. And every year, Sci-Fi granted us a respite and gave us a new season.

Until now, when the producers themselves have told us that by this point, it makes very little profit. Only phenomenal ratings could have saved it.

"But they didn't give it a chance! They didn't advertise it! They moved timeslots!" So? Have you people never heard of TV guides? It's been running for ten years. Surely if people want to watch it, they'll watch it. Sci-Fi decided to promote their new shows, which nobody knows about. They knew that even if SG-1 lasted another year, it wouldn't last forever. They need a replacement. So they adertised their new show. Battlestar Galactica no longer the lead-in show? It wasn't the lead-in show the first couple of years either.

One, Doctor Who is made by the BBC, who are completely different to any network in America. Two, the cast changes every couple of seasons. I believe that would defeat the purpose of continuing SG-1.

"They didn't let other networks pick it up! They totally would have!" It was in the contract that another network couldn't pick it up. And, to be honest, to say that other networks would leap at the chance is ridiculous, for the same reason that SG-1 was cancelled in the first place.

"TV is about quality entertainment!"...I don't think I even need to respond to that. Yes, it should be about that, but it isn't.

SG-1 was cancelled by Showtime in season 5. The Sci-Fi channel has given us five more seasons of Stargate than I'd ever thought I'd see. It's given us a spin-off series heading for four seasons. It's producing another spin-off. After cancelling the SG-1 series because it was costing them too much money, they have said they will give the fans not one but two tv movies.

Make no mistake, the Stargate franchise would not be what it is today without the Sci-Fi channel. Did they make mistakes? Oh, undoubedtly. Nobody is perfect. Would it be great if there was a season 11? Yeah. And 12, 13, 14, 15...it would be great if it could go on forever, but it can't. I'll say it again: ten seasons. That's a lot more than most shows get, and yet, I've never seen any group of fans more petulant and whiny about their show not being renewed. Not Firefly, cancelled mid-first season. Not Angel, which failed to get a season 6. Not any of the Star Treks, or Oddyssey 5, or Jake 2.0, or Invasion, or Mutant X, or Birds of Prey, or any of the other shows that have been cancelled in the past few years.

Yes, we all love SG-1. Yes, we all want more of it. But complaining about Sci-Fi like a bunch of spoiled children is not going to do any good. Please conduct yourself with the dignity that I hope all Gaters posess.
                  Well all very good points. Yes we are damn lucky we have gotten 10 seasons. You say better shows like SG-1 is a bad show if I missed something I apologise no offfense meant. I too was ecstatic when scifi picked up SG-1, and thrilled every year when it was picked up each year for another season. We fans are upset at the way the cancellation was handled. We sorta understand why it was done but it was handled extremly bad.
                  Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                  "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                  Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

To clarify, by better shows I meant simply what I said. SG-1 is a great show, it's my favourite TV series, but I'd be lying if I said I thought it was the best show out there. There have been shows better than SG-1 that were cancelled long before their time.

On the point of how the cancellation was handled, I'm not convinced it was handled badly. Okay, they made the announcement after the 200th episode, but so what? It's not like they had to wait for it to air to get the record or anything. Regardless of when they made the announcement, they would have gotten the record all the same. The fact that they waited until after 200 does indicate there's a reason behind it, but fans automatically seemed to have assumed foul play. What if they waited so that some people wouldn't think "Oh, well if it's cancelled, I'm boycotting it!" and the ratings would not have been as good?

I'm glad they made the announcement early in the season, otherwise I would have thought it was like all the other seasons and would get renewed. It would have been so much worse to hope for season 11 only to have it snatched away at the last minute. This way, we've had reasonable time to convince them otherwise.

I think it was handled as well as could be. No cancellation of a tv series goes without a hitch, but again, I've never seen fans behaving quite as spectacularly as the Gaters have been. Not everyone is in this group of course, there are many people who have voiced their opinions in a respectful manner, but the bad has far outweighed the good.
                    To TPTB and SciFi: thank you for ten wonderful years of SG-1. Thank you for three slightly less wonderful but still very good years of Atlantis, may there be many more to come. Thank you for the two SG-1 movies and the new spin-off being considered. SciFi, thank you for picking up SG-1 when it was cancelled after its fifth season, few other networks would even consider a show with so many season already behind it.

Mistakes have been made, but we are all only human, and coming up on fourteen season DVD box sets and two DVD movies are more than good enough for me.

Comment

Oh for goodness sake.

Very nice post! Of course most of us want more SG-1, but we have to know that there's going to be a limit- it's always going to be about the business side of things, and SG-1 was going to become a victim of that at some point just like nearly every other show. I am very grateful for the ten seasons that we've had, and am ecstatic at the prospect of a new series. Fans of SG-1 have gotten what fans of nearly all other cancelled shows don't get: continuation. We've got Atlantis, movies and potentially another series on the way! SG-1 isn't over, it'll still be around through these new incarnations. I don't think we should have anything to complain about (though I still adamently believe that the timing of the announcement to the cast was in very poor taste ).

Comment

We're not complaining because SG-1 is ending. We're complaining because it's doing well enough to not get cancelled and they cancelled it at a bad point in the storyline.

Why did they even give the show a 10th season (since viewership was pretty much the same last year) if they were gonna announce its cancellation so early in the season?

Obviously because it wanted a coveted 200th episode.

The shows have all been doing badly because of the bad decision-making that lead to the breaking up of the Triumvirate (SG-1, SGA, BSG). And none of them could and still can't figure this out.

Comment

Well as much as I enjoy SG1 I think after ten years its time to move on. I personally love change, and if SG1 continue I'm afraid it might go stale and loose its finess.
                          Change is part of life and living there's no exception to SG1, anyway I'm really looking forward to the third series. At lease it will live on in another form.
                          sigpic

Comment

Oh for goodness sake.

So let us praise Scifi?
                            No No No and No!!!!
                            It's nice that it made it this far but they Anconuced just after 200. Come on could they have anouced after the first half was finished instead going half way threw the first half. To at least make it look like they thought about it instead of saying it after the 200 mark.
                            Come see Kingomon's Stargate stories about:
                            Poseidon, the Ancient's King and
                            new enemy of the Ori
                            At: http://www.stargate-sg1.hu/fanfiction/

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                              We're not complaining because SG-1 is ending. We're complaining because it's doing well enough to not get cancelled and they cancelled it at a bad point in the storyline.
                              If SG-1 really was doing well enough not to get cancelled, they would not cancel it. They are out to make money. As soon as one of their shows stops making them money, they will no longer produce it. It is of absoultely no interest to them to cancel a show that is doing well. They have had five years of dealing with SG-1, they know how much money it makes for them. If they have decided to cancel it, it's because it's just not worth it any more.

Why did they even give the show a 10th season (since viewership was pretty much the same last year) if they were gonna announce its cancellation so early in the season?

Obviously because it wanted a coveted 200th episode.
                              I have absolutely no illusions about this. I believe the reasoning at Sci-Fi was "We'll do season 10, get a record breaking show. If the ratings improve significantly, we'll do season 11 as well, but if not, it's over."

And I can't figure out why fans have a problem with this.

They gave us a 10th season, which we would not otherwise have had. Season 9 would have been a terrible place to end it. This way, we got the conclusion to a cliffhanger. Are you saying you'd rather it ended in Season 9?

The shows have all been doing badly because of the bad decision-making that lead to the breaking up of the Triumvirate (SG-1, SGA, BSG). And none of them could and still can't figure this out.
                              While I have no doubt that the break-up of Sci-Fi Friday has contributed to the falling ratings, it would be stupid to assume it is the only cause. You said it yourself, last year the ratings were pretty much the same, and that was when there was a Sci-Fi Friday.

Originally posted by Kingomon

So let us praise Scifi?
                              No No No and No!!!!
                              It's nice that it made it this far but they Anconuced just after 200. Come on could they have anouced after the first half was finished instead going half way threw the first half. To at least make it look like they thought about it instead of saying it after the 200 mark.
                              Yes, yes, yes. Curse them all you want for cancelling the show, but do not forget that there wouldn't be seasons 6-10 of SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, two TV movies and a another spinoff series without the sci-fi channel.

I am compeltely failing to understand why anouncing it after 200 was a bad idea. Regardless of when they announced it, they had already made the decision. The producers knew early on, and as such they were given the opportunity to finish the show with a proper ending. Do you know how many shows get that? The fans knew early on, and as such they were given the opportunity to start up a Save Our Show campaign with plenty of time before the show was well and truly dead. Do you know how may fans get the opportunity to do that?

Not many.

The earlier the announcement comes, the better.

Now, as somene else said, I'm not sure when it was announced to the cast was in great taste.

Comment

If SG-1 really was doing well enough not to get cancelled, they would not cancel it. They are out to make money. As soon as one of their shows stops making them money, they will no longer produce it. It is of absoultely no interest to them to cancel a show that is doing well. They have had five years of dealing with SG-1, they know how much money it makes for them. If they have decided to cancel it, it's because it's just not worth it any more
                                If thats the case then why are Sc-Fi being ****ing *****es & is not allowing MGM to find SG-1 a new home ? For this reason alone you have to admit there is more going on that we dont know about between them. If it was simply not worth it anymore then Sci-Fi would have no problem letting SG-1 move to another station. In my opinio we do not & will never know the whole story. At the end of the day there is more to this cancellation then meets the eye.
                                Last edited by Starxgate; 18 December 2006, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X