This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the fifth man
    If the TV movies were to do well enough in the ratings, believe me, I firmly believe that Sci-Fi would reverse their decision about SG-1's cancellation and try and negotiate a Season 11. Not that they even deserve this great show anymore.
    SciFi was trying to negotiate another season. MGM wanted too much money.
    I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger
      SciFi was trying to negotiate another season. MGM wanted too much money.
      Says who? The guy who cancelled the show then denied it would ever be back even if MGM asked for less.

Don't blame MGM, blame Sci-Fi

Comment

I also doubt the show is being canceled because of the religious fanbase leaving the show
        I think the majority of fans who left the show are people who were disappointed with season 9, which is a pity, because so far season 10 has been really excellent.
        I can't believe they're gonna cancel stargate now it hasn't been this good in years!

I'd hate to see SG1 as a TV movie, simply because it would likely be the end for stargate.
        I'd much rather see SG1 continue as a spinoff series.

Comment

As a 'hardcore' Christian, I wasn't run off by the Ori storyline, although I will admit the first couple of episodes made me uncomfortable wondering if others would draw allusions. But as I watched more episodes, those worries went away.

The reasons I think it was cancelled are many of the same reasons I think viewership has dropped and why I've lost a lot of enthusiasm for the show - RDA leaving, the show changing focus from exploration to action, and the whole loss of character dynamic resulting from both. Add in the loss of 'freshness' in the stargate concept, and there's no surpise in it being cancelled.

I'll watch whatever SG1 comes out with - movie, mini-series, direct-to-DVD, but if it ends, I'm satisfied with the great run it's had.

Comment

Originally posted by Heaven
            I also doubt the show is being canceled because of the religious fanbase leaving the show
            I think the majority of fans who left the show are people who were disappointed with season 9, which is a pity, because so far season 10 has been really excellent.
            I can't believe they're gonna cancel stargate now it hasn't been this good in years!

I'd hate to see SG1 as a TV movie, simply because it would likely be the end for stargate.
            I'd much rather see SG1 continue as a spinoff series.
            Agreed. I have really enjoyed seasons 9 and 10 and they have not left me disapointed one bit. I agree it is really good now but I think it's been this good all along. If there is the series of tv movies then yes it's likely the end of SG-1 but not the franchise. I will watch anything stargate and whatever I get to finish off SG-1 I'm happy.
            Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
            "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
            Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Argono
              As a 'hardcore' Christian, I wasn't run off by the Ori storyline, although I will admit the first couple of episodes made me uncomfortable wondering if others would draw allusions. But as I watched more episodes, those worries went away.

The reasons I think it was cancelled are many of the same reasons I think viewership has dropped and why I've lost a lot of enthusiasm for the show - RDA leaving, the show changing focus from exploration to action, and the whole loss of character dynamic resulting from both. Add in the loss of 'freshness' in the stargate concept, and there's no surpise in it being cancelled.

I'll watch whatever SG1 comes out with - movie, mini-series, direct-to-DVD, but if it ends, I'm satisfied with the great run it's had.
              I agree on the Christian viewpoint as I am also. I agree on your reasoning for the cancelleation even if I don't feel the same. I think the show has alot of freshness to it and I have really enjoyed the new direction. But again I'm not surprised either. A too taking whatever SG-1 you can get I feel the same.
              Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
              "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
              Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Nah SG1 is kinda like Friends... It got old... Really old. Honestly SG1 has already defeated all the super powers in two galaxies. Soon we'll be handing the Ori their ascended asses on a naqudah plate. Even the writers can't think of any more "bad guys" to top this one... Who are they gonna challenge next, Jesus Christ?

Just let it die... Maybe we'll get a movie out of it (I very much doubt it) but personally I think the best we can hope for is cameos on Atlantis. SGA is still in its infancy and hasn't cleared any galaxies of baddies yet so let's put our faith in that!

Besides, if SGA turns sour, we will still have BSG... Sweet, sweet Cylon hotness...

*drools over thoughts of Six and Boomer*

Comment

We've had "false gods" since day one on this show! Why wouldn't that have driven religious people away? If those "gods" are false then any of them can be.
                  Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Originally posted by Zamboni View Post
                    Nah SG1 is kinda like Friends... It got old... Really old.
                    There are millions and millions of fans from hundreds of countries across the world who will disagree with you about that.

Soon we'll be handing the Ori their ascended asses on a naqudah plate. Even the writers can't think of any more "bad guys" to top this one... Who are they gonna challenge next, Jesus Christ?
                    Personally I don't believe the new enemies have to be more powerfull than the Ori. SG-1 have a way of defeating the Ori (Merlin's weapon) without really having to use the technology available to them but if we don't give such a luxury with the next enemy, then SG-1 (or whoever, if it is a third series) will be forced to have to solve it without any super weapons, and will just have to go back to developing and finding new technologies to beat them, which will actually be alot harder.

Just let it die... Maybe we'll get a movie out of it (I very much doubt it) but personally I think the best we can hope for is cameos on Atlantis. SGA is still in its infancy and hasn't cleared any galaxies of baddies yet so let's put our faith in that!
                    You doubted correctly. We get atlest two!

Besides, if SGA turns sour, we will still have BSG... Sweet, sweet Cylon hotness...

*drools over thoughts of Six and Boomer*
                    Hmm, really. If the opener is anything to go by, then BSG in all fairness shouldn't last more than another two seasons. But then again, a stargate series getting ratings between 1.4 and 1.7 is pathetic, but it will be praised if BSG gets it.

When sci fi put as much advertising into SG-1 (200) as they do into BSG (season opener), SG-1 got higher ratings. If there is any justice, BSG should be cancelled too.

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
                      When sci fi put as much advertising into SG-1 (200) as they do into BSG (season opener), SG-1 got higher ratings. If there is any justice, BSG should be cancelled too.
                      i don't recall SciFi or MGM saying it was pathetic, they spun just as hard for SG-1. as for cancellation, i seriously doubt BSG costs as much as SG-1 to make.
                      sigpic
                      "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                      Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

I think you're right, but that's hard to believe. Not only do they have more cast members and a bigger support cast, they also have better SFX and production values as a whole.

I'd say they're dead even on the cost.

Comment

The supporting cast of BSG rivals that of "Lost". There's so many recurring people! But if anything, yeah, the budgets are probably close. But I keep hearing that BSG is cheaper to produce because of the deal with SkyOne, but that may have only been for season one. But the big factor is that Scifi/NBC gets all the DVD/Itunes profits, which are considerable. Scifi never got a dime of SG-1's profits.
                          Music Profile: 83710 Songs --- 3714 Artists --- 7051 Albums

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
                            There are millions and millions of fans from hundreds of countries across the world who will disagree with you about that.
                            Well they should stop living in denial. The 90's are over!
                            Personally I don't believe the new enemies have to be more powerfull than the Ori. SG-1 have a way of defeating the Ori (Merlin's weapon) without really having to use the technology available to them but if we don't give such a luxury with the next enemy, then SG-1 (or whoever, if it is a third series) will be forced to have to solve it without any super weapons, and will just have to go back to developing and finding new technologies to beat them, which will actually be alot harder.
                            Yeah. SG1 (now only composed of the cast from Farscape) will fight the war in Iraq and get killed within the first three episodes.
                            You doubted correctly. We get atlest two!
                            Ok. Personally I like SG1 so I won't argue with you there, the more the merrier.
                            Hmm, really. If the opener is anything to go by, then BSG in all fairness shouldn't last more than another two seasons. But then again, a stargate series getting ratings between 1.4 and 1.7 is pathetic, but it will be praised if BSG gets it.
                            Unless they decide to utilize SG1's tactic and create another enemy more powerful than the Cylons but brutal all the same and replace Adama with a younger version of Cylon clone that laughs inappropriately at the face of his or her enemies.
                            So your idea of justice is that when SG1 dies, it should drag EVERY sci-fi show on the network down to its grave along?

Frankly sci-fi just isn't interesting to the general public anymore. People are more concerned with Earthly matters and younger generations are hooked on xbox360 and their Wii (ps3 will fail, mark my words). BSG is the way it is because the writers are smart enough to include events that non-sci-fi audiences can relate to.

SG1 has long since gone past the line of impossibility... They've practically destroyed every civilization in the universe!

Comment

There is something rotten in the state of whatever here. The ratings for Sg-1 and Atlantis were almost the same but Sg-1 get the boot and Atlantis lives for another season(although probably it's last I am so disgusted with Sci-fi I could spit). I guess what I am saying I don't buy the ratings thing , it sounds more like a pissing contest between Sc-i fi exec.s and MGM. I hope I can say that.

Comment

Originally posted by becauseitissoclear View Post
                                There is something rotten in the state of whatever here. The ratings for Sg-1 and Atlantis were almost the same but Sg-1 get the boot and Atlantis lives for another season(although probably it's last I am so disgusted with Sci-fi I could spit). I guess what I am saying I don't buy the ratings thing , it sounds more like a pissing contest between Sc-i fi exec.s and MGM. I hope I can say that.
                                SG-1 is a 10 year old show and thus wwwaaayyyyy more expensive then Atlantis. Ratings is incoming, expenses are outgoing. Equal or lower ratings + Higher expense = lower revenue. Equal or Higher ratings + Lower expense = Higher revenue.

Low revenue show is cancelled.
                                Higher revenue show is retained. As cost go up if Atlatnis ratings do not go up it will get cancelled as well. IMHO next year could be the last unless it sees an uptick or unless scifi is just that hard up.
                                Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Working...
                                X