X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gatebuster64
    i thought sci fi owned atlantis

isn't the james bond series owned by mgm, or am i a complete idiot
    Oh, yeah, JB is owned by MGM. Atlantis is owned by MGM I think.

Best Stargate quote:
    Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
    Green is your friend.

Comment

make there own network Host there shows on it....as for internet TV....would be great too cuase i am always infront of a comp anyway
      DAM YOU SCI FI.....DAM U TO SCI HELL arghhhh.....

Comment

Originally posted by [SGC_ReplicÅtors]
        make there own network Host there shows on it....as for internet TV....would be great too cuase i am always infront of a comp anyway
        I actually prefer TV. Because you gotta sign onto a computer, get booted off six or seven times, get back on, sign in. And you're up in front of it for a couple hours at a time; can't be good for your eyes.

Best Stargate quote:
        Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
        Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Hunter
          Lol, I never said they should create a network specifically for SG alone! EN put a whole list of shows, so why not air all them throughout the week along with new shows being added all the time. As well as movies they hold the rights to etc. Wouldn't that doop de doop do fill up the timeslots for them.
          I thought the whole point of everyone talking about creating a new network is that it can run "serious" sci-fi shows. Really, that is all everyone talks about these days. Pairing Stargate/Outer Limits up with shows like Dawson's Creek and Married with Children make about as much sense as airing ECW on Sci-Fi.

MGM/Sony can't add more sci-fi related programming to this new network you're proposing, because they don't have any. It would all be regular TV shows, and how is that any different than what Sci-Fi is essentially doing now?

Originally posted by freyr's mother
          Probably. Makes sense actually. They own both series'. What other shows does MGM own? We should look into that. Make a few phone calls, write a few letters....
          Seriously, do people not read the threads they are posting in? A list of shows that MGM/Sony own was already posted. And on the same page too.

ETA: It's not the absolute most comprehensive list, but it's a pretty darn good one.
          "May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Susan Ivanova

"The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest. " - Citizen G'Kar

"I will see you again, in the place where no shadows fall." - Delenn

Comment

Uh, wouldn't what you're proposing kinda kill the DVD sales...? Not that I wouldn't watch it. Probably even put a drop of super glue on the remote so the channel couldn't ever be changed (at least on one of my TV's).

Comment

Originally posted by Elitenova
              There should be a channel, call it The Stargate Channel. What do you think?
              That'd be over saturation, that's whut I think. One or two shows is plenty. I really don't want to see 3+ shows being produced simultaneously.

Comment

Should I have a mod turn this thread into a poll to see if this is worth pursuing or not?

Best Stargate quote:
                Green is your friend.

Comment

[QUOTE=Orion's Star]I thought the whole point of everyone talking about creating a new network is that it can run "serious" sci-fi shows. Really, that is all everyone talks about these days. Pairing Stargate/Outer Limits up with shows like Dawson's Creek and Married with Children make about as much sense as airing ECW on Sci-Fi.

MGM/Sony can't add more sci-fi related programming to this new network you're proposing, because they don't have any. It would all be regular TV shows, and how is that any different than what Sci-Fi is essentially doing now?[QUOTE]

I never said all related to Sci-Fi myself! I simply originally said it was a viable alternative because my football/soccer team does it & I subscribe every month. I even put why that it could realistically work which is if they put in behind the scenes specials, exclusive regular interviews etc.

They could even do what a lot of shows here in the UK do on Sky as well. They don't run during the day & only come on in late afternoon or around 8pm etc. So they could do a barebones channel, show repeats, interviews, specials, phone-ins etc. Then at certain points of the day they could let screenshop rent the space or have someone else broadcast their shows. Sci-Fi UK does this just after midnight with another Quiz Channel. They link up & do a Sci-Fi related puzzles until 4 am.

While that could work on it's own. It would stand a far better chance if they would add in their other shows, such as theme-nights. This way they will get the channel far greater exposure & a far bigger fanbase watching regularly. Some me even begin watching other shows then be caught on the SG bug & start watching that etc.

However most importantly, they own exclusive rights to all the broadcast content. Therefore they can pick & choose whether a show goes on or not. Nobody else gets to say a show is canned or cannot be shown ever again for however many years & so on.

It's simply that Sony/MGM are multi, multi, multi billion dollar corporations. Have a crapload of exclusive content be that TV or Movies. However they are forced to play waiting games or chicken with some other outside broadcaster to see who makes the 1st move. I'm simply surprised that they haven't do it before now. Guess it must cost a crapload of cash for them to not be able to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Hunter
                    They could even do what a lot of shows here in the UK do on Sky as well. They don't run during the day & only come on in late afternoon or around 8pm etc. So they could do a barebones channel, show repeats, interviews, specials, phone-ins etc. Then at certain points of the day they could let screenshop rent the space or have someone else broadcast their shows. Sci-Fi UK does this just after midnight with another Quiz Channel. They link up & do a Sci-Fi related puzzles until 4 am.

While that could work on it's own. It would stand a far better chance if they would add in their other shows, such as theme-nights. This way they will get the channel far greater exposure & a far bigger fanbase watching regularly. Some me even begin watching other shows then be caught on the SG bug & start watching that etc.

However most importantly, they own exclusive rights to all the broadcast content. Therefore they can pick & choose whether a show goes on or not. Nobody else gets to say a show is canned or cannot be shown ever again for however many years & so on.

It's simply that Sony/MGM are multi, multi, multi billion dollar corporations. Have a crapload of exclusive content be that TV or Movies. However they are forced to play waiting games or chicken with some other outside broadcaster to see who makes the 1st move. I'm simply surprised that they haven't do it before now. Guess it must cost a crapload of cash for them to not be able to do it.
                    If you think that any company would spend hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars to start up a network television station, or even a cable network television station, to only run half the time and only run one or two shows along with what essentially amounts to DVD extras, I think you are kidding yourself. What would be the point of starting up a new channel that only runs for a couple of hours during the day? How could they possibly make money? Especially when their line-up is comprised of TV shows that already have limited audience appeal?

As for the idea of running their slate of old programming during the rest of the day, or running theme nights, they already have channels like that: they are called TV Land and Nickelodeon (with Nick at Nite), along with several other random channels. Unless you are saying that MGM/Sony is not only going to spend all the money to start up a new network, but they are going to start throwing around oodles of cash to start up production on brand new TV shows as well.

Most of the good shows in the MGM/Sony catalogue are already firmly entrenched on other networks and would take serious finagling to break free from those networks. What you are proposing just does not seem to make good business sense.
                    "May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Susan Ivanova

"The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest. " - Citizen G'Kar

"I will see you again, in the place where no shadows fall." - Delenn

Comment

Originally posted by Elitenova
                      There should be a channel, call it The Stargate Channel. What do you think?
                      That would be too much of a good (great) thing and therefore cheapen it. We have our DVDs and there's always syndication...

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Working...
                      X