This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pogo01
    Remember this is a sci-fi fiction show. In the show all they said to explain the shield fluctuations was something about how when firing their main weapon (which makes me wonder what their secondary weapon is lol) it uses so much power the shields fluctuate. It says nothing about the laws of physics such and such. The writers control everything that happen and when they created the shield fluctuations it wasnt just a law of physics thing because if you want to look at it from that perspective half of everything that appears in stargate wouldnt have happened. The shield fluctuations will no doubt play a major role in the future SOMEHOW. ( Or it might've if SG1 had not been canceled )
    Maybe the writer's know their audience is smart and will come to the conclusion that the amount of power passing through the shields everytime they fire is what causes the fluctuation. It is the reason why they said it happens at that time instead of at random intervals.

Writers having episodes of the Ori being as strong as all mighty zeus in a few episodes and as ignorant as a snail in another couple episodes is getting annoying and predictable. And remember Stargate is fiction so dont give me no law of physics bull**** unless they mentioned that in the show.
    It's science fiction so some parts of the story are based on real science.
    From time to time they do bend the laws of physics for dramatic purposes, hence the fiction in science fiction, but a lot of the time they do try and explain things based on the laws of physics which is what happened in this case.

Because if it were possible the Ori would posess such technology not saying they already dont but it sure doesnt seem like it.
    Why would the already posess it? As has been stated numerous times the Ori don't know everything! Also, maybe they don't need that type of power on thier ships since the one they are using is perfectly fine. It can power shields that can't be damaged by an entire fleet and a weapon that can take out a ha'tak in one shot. They don't need their ships to be any more powerful than they already are.
    "At least my heroes exist. If this was a Trek convention, you’d be all dressed up like a Klingon."

Comment

I really like the idea of the Ori. Not only an enemy that is vastly technologically superior to anything in the show thusfar. But, an enemy that rivals the ancients themselves, even in their ascended state. It will be really interesting to see how this all ends up.

A very wise man once said...."Reality is an illusion created by a lack of Alcohol."

Comment

Originally posted by Ravroz
        I really like the idea of the Ori. Not only an enemy that is vastly technologically superior to anything in the show thusfar. But, an enemy that rivals the ancients themselves, even in their ascended state. It will be really interesting to see how this all ends up.
        I agree. I have always loved the Ori and thought the way they have developed them is great. I love the idea of an enemy who is so powerfull they are almost unbeatable.
        Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
        "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
        Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogo01
          Remember this is a sci-fi fiction show. In the show all they said to explain the shield fluctuations was something about how when firing their main weapon (which makes me wonder what their secondary weapon is lol) it uses so much power the shields fluctuate. It says nothing about the laws of physics such and such. The writers control everything that happen and when they created the shield fluctuations it wasnt just a law of physics thing because if you want to look at it from that perspective half of everything that appears in stargate wouldnt have happened. The shield fluctuations will no doubt play a major role in the future SOMEHOW. ( Or it might've if SG1 had not been canceled )
          Just because the story doesn't say why something happens doesn't mean that there is no explaination. They make sure that they dont do anything that doesn't make sense, but they don't necessarily explain it. I mean, can you imagine having to explain how every single piece of technology in Stargate works? Episodes have a time limit, and the writers dont have the luxury of giving a crash course in the physics of shields like I did every time there is something that may not make perfect sense on the surface.

Writers having episodes of the Ori being as strong as all mighty zeus in a few episodes and as ignorant as a snail in another couple episodes is getting annoying and predictable. And remember Stargate is fiction so dont give me no law of physics bull**** unless they mentioned that in the show.
          Strength and intelligence are two entirely different things. Besides, I don't think that there are any episodes where the Ori are portreyed as "stupid". Maybe they underestimate us, but they are not stupid. If you could provide examples of Ori stupidity, perhaps a graph on the average Ori IQ, then I would be happy to concede.

For the Mr and Mrs Miller Episode yes it is still pointless. I'm almost certain when the writers wrote the script for the show htey didnt think about the Ori at all. I'm sure they didnt go.. hmmm why are we creating a story line where Mckay and Mrs.Miller are trying to create a unlimited energy source which was started by the ancients if its impossible? Why is it impossible? Because if it were possible the Ori would posess such technology not saying they already dont but it sure doesnt seem like it. They just wrote it because like you said they needed a way to make the Asurans attack seem more dangerous blah blah and depleted ZPMS. Although there are an infinite amount of things that couldve happened which can cause the ZPM to be completely depleted while making Rodney the center of the show.

As others have said, project Arcturus may not be the best way of getting energy for the Ori's needs. For all we know, it may be impossible for the technology to work in our own galaxy. The technology worked fine in Mckay and Miller, just at the expennse of another universe.
          Now, considering that the Ori are above our dimension, is it not possible that they exist above the dimension of probability as well, in which case there are no parallel universes for them, and they all exist in one multiverse? In which case going to a parallel universe would still infringe upon their multiverse, and be maleficial for the Ori?
          Or, is it not possible that the Ori have a better means of gathering energy, as others have said? I mean, if Project Arcturus is as phenominal as you say, then that means that the energy that they originally gained from using it at 5% should have been capable of being used to seal the hole instead of the ZPM. Obviously, because they didn't do that, it shows that 5% is not a lot of energy, so 100% is not that phenominally large as well. I mean, when in you'r own universe, its maximum capacity is that of 25 ZPMs. Now, the diminishment in power is not explained in the episode (probaly getting u very angry), but it can easily be explained as a result of sending it across parallel universes. So, if the power is this diminished, it probably isn't much use to the Ori, who could just as easily use a few ZPMs, which require less resources. So, obviously, their power sources are superior to that of a ZPM or Project Arcturus, which shows why they aren't using it

You need to stop looking for plotholes, and put away your disbelief in the plot. Suspension of disbelief is a fundamental part of fiction. I mean, if you want to be like that, you might as well bring up thae fact that SG-1 cant lose, because, Cassandra still has to be around in a lot of years to send them back after 1969.

Comment

I personally like the new Ori story arc, and cannot wait to see where it all leads. Remember when the Goa'uld were introduced they were a highly advanced race of Aliens that seemed impossible to defeat; but Earth went through the gate to find advanced technology that we could use to defeat them... well the same thing is happening again with the Ori.

And please everyone remember... it IS fiction and the stories told are not all about action, but about relationships with others. The Stargate programmes are fun to watch (as they should be), and although they try and base what they can on fact, a lot of it is guess work and the writers I feel do a damn good job.

If you guys and gals are looking for everything in the show to based on facts only, then watch the Discovery channel!!

And for everyone who is complaining about the current story arc of the Ori; please also remember that the writers when creating this new enemy were planning on at least two/three years of story telling, hence a slow start with it. And if you want it to get better, then help save the show to allow the writers to do more with it and visit http://www.savestargatesg1.com/

Mini-rant over!!

Comment

Pogo, you seem to be running on some flawed facts (Spoiler):

- Ascension does not make one a genius in any way. It gives you a clearer understanding of where you fit into the universe, nothing more (Daniel established this in "Fill Circle" and "Abyss")

- The Ori do not know everything. They're technology is a bit beyond that of the Lanteans, but they are not perfect. That's why their ships are not indestructible; their technology has weaknesses and limits just like our own. They're limits are just higher. (In "Camelot", "Flesh and Blood", and "Unending", we see that their shields fluctuate, for instance)

- A shield fluctuating just shows that the Ori "death beam" is so powerful, it has to drain power from the shields to fire. This, in turn, only proves that the power source on board Ori warships (built by Middle Ages-esque villagers, remember) has a certain limit, just like a ZPM.

- The Ori are by no means stupid. At times, Earth and the Jaffa have surprised them with their understanding of various technologies or their resorcefullness, but that just proves that the Ori did not anticipate our actions (which goes back to the "Ascension does not make one all-knowing or all-powerful" thing)

- Earth wasn't necessarily "saved for last because of a 10,000++ yr old weapon", although someone in the show (can't remember who, sorry) did suggest that. It could be a number of things; 1. The Ori weren't sure at the beginning of their invasion of Earth's defenses. 2. Our reputation for beating enemies made them adopt a "wait and see" approach. 3. They decided the Jaffa were a more pressing enemy to eliminate.
              Last edited by s09119; 20 April 2007, 08:34 AM. Reason: Forgot to say "Someone in the show", not just "someone"
              Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
              Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

I don't think the Ori were a mistake and are a nice contrast to the Goa'uld and all. I mean to say that they are a mistake because they are so powerful because they are ascended beings is like saying the Goa'uld were a mistake because Earth managed to topple a few System Lords (with help of course) or cause a lot of damage to the Wraith but thats my personal opinion. Not surprising really considering the avatar, signature and name... but I really just like all the bad guys that have been developed by the show so its not a 'mad Ori fan' fanaticism and defending them.

As to the ship fluctuation issue, it made no difference as even if bombs were beamed on board then they would have been disabled as seen in Flesh and Blood.

And technically from their perspective, the Jaffa were a prime target to strike. They were the dominant military force within the galaxy but more importantly they had the potential of easily being converted to the Ori's teachings and that almost happened.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

The only reason Ori soldiers exist in thew 1st place is to die in a rain of machine gun fire.
                  Calvin grows up to be Frazz. The logical continuation of this is, of course, that Frazz then grows up to be Edward Norton's character from Fight Club. And thus, all four of these characters are gods.Let's go one more step. Calvin grows up to be Jeremy, who grows up to be Frazz, who grows up to be "Tyler Durden," while Suzie grows up to be Haruhi Suzumiya; since Kyon becomes The Doctor, this leads to the inescapable conclusion that after the end of Fight Club, Calvin becomes Captain Jack.

Comment

The fluctuation issue is something I've always had a problem with. Atlanti's shields NEVER fluctuate and that was made by pre-ascended Ancients which in terms of StarGate canon should be lesser beings when compared to Ascended beings (Ori or Ancient). Therefore the Ori ships should have totally impenetrable shields. Their ships should also be heavily armored, incase they get attacked when landed on a planet.

And as impressive as the Ori Beam Cannon is... it would be more impressive if it was a type of "slicer beam" as well, such as the Shadow ships beams CUTTING ships in half.

Aside from secondary pulse weapons, they should also have had Drones or at least some kind of an equivalent to Drones.

The ORI are supposed to be unstoppable... yet they have all these retarded "weaknesses" given to them just to make a crappy plot device.
                    http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
                    http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

Originally posted by Peoples_General View Post
                      The fluctuation issue is something I've always had a problem with. Atlanti's shields NEVER fluctuate and that was made by pre-ascended Ancients which in terms of StarGate canon should be lesser beings when compared to Ascended beings (Ori or Ancient). Therefore the Ori ships should have totally impenetrable shields. Their ships should also be heavily armo]red, incase they get attacked when landed on a planet.
                      First we don't know if they do or not... as whenever they are needed its always how long can it hold! additionally Atlantis only has drones which I believe haven't yet been fired with the shield up, In The Siege the drones where powered by reactors so no shield,
                      Spoiler:
                      Beckett fired them in the return part 2.... but that was on the city its self i.e. within the shield not passing through.

So its impossible to compare the two as we have never seen Atlantis fire drones through its shield.

Also the Ori were arrogant they had no idea of how resourceful we are with our primitive tech, or how much understanding we have of the gate past making it work! They would not send they're best tech just good enough to wipe the floor with us or so they think.
                      A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

I don't know why people think the simple fluctuation was a huge Ori-shattering weakness. I mean they sent a nuke on board and it didnt even work. And sure Daniel got sent in but honeslty... who expects Daniel to survive alone against a Prior?

As for the comparison with Atlantis, its a cityship not a warship so its priority would be more on defense then offense. So of course their shield wouldnt fluctuate since it doesnt have some super beam weapon firing through it. But meh.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogo01 View Post
                          Well.. Ori are suppose to be ascended right? They have unlimited knoledge of the universe so they are almost perfect. Therefore everything they create is like 99.9% perfect. So how is it they designed an Ori ship where its shields fluxuate when it fires its weapon. I think Stargate really messed things up with the new enemy and all. I mean In Atlantis Mckay and Mrs. Miller they have this thing where they can get unlimitd energy from other dimensions or w/e. Not really paying attention to that episode. "if" that were possible then the Ori would've created it already which just makes the episode competely useless.

I mean Ori are asceneded they should have created weapons of mass destruction which can possibly destroy a planet in 1 attack. Theres so much to think about. I think it was a mistake for the creators of stargate to create an enemy which is ascended.
                          The Ori were a definite mistake and were the direct cause of the fall of Stargate: SG1, no matter what anyone says.

Ascension is not just part of the New Age rubbish, it has been sort after by all religions for millennia and can only be achieved through ENLIGHTENMENT.
                          The evil Ancients DO NOT act anywhere near being enlightened, but then neither do the Alterans either really, with their pathetic squabbling and primitive attitudes.

Enlightenment is the ultimate of wisdom and knowledge, hence the word, therefore I find the Alterans to be fraudulent at best.

Sorry if I seem rather rude, but it annoys the hell out of me when I see a show with so much potential, go down the rabbit hole in to oblivion just because of some idiot with a stupid idea.

The Ancients being human is bad enough, but evil Ancients please!!!
                          THERE ARE THINGS KNOWN...
                          AND THINGS UNKNOWN...
                          AND IN BETWEEN...LIES THE STARGATE

Comment

Originally posted by Kal-El View Post
                            The Ori were a definite mistake and were the direct cause of the fall of Stargate: SG1, no matter what anyone says.
                            Ignorant much? We know what the downfall of Stargate was, it cost too much to make, pure and simple.

Originally posted by Kal-El View Post
                            Ascension is not just part of the New Age rubbish, it has been sort after by all religions for millennia and can only be achieved through ENLIGHTENMENT.
                            No, you've got that backwards. Enlightenment is achieved through ascension, not the other way round.

Comment

There is no need for insults, only small minds resort to such primitive mockery.

As for Ascension and enlightenment, think again, regardless of what is in Stargate lifefoms can only acheive non-corpeal form when and if the life lessons of the physical, i.e. knowledge and intelligence have been exceeded - enlightenment.
                              THERE ARE THINGS KNOWN...
                              AND THINGS UNKNOWN...
                              AND IN BETWEEN...LIES THE STARGATE

Comment

What?

Comment

Working...
                                X