This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hungrytrash
    Is it just me, or did the power source for the Ori ship look a lot like a blackhole covered in one of those fancy energy-absorbing shields? It would explain why the shields of the ship are so ridiculously strong...

I've watched again the scene where the ship Adria reactivates the ship.
    At first we can see 3 rings spinning around an energy ball. Then the
    rings start to spin faster, which makes the emaned energy grow so much
    that we can barely see the spinning because the amount of energy is
    tremendous.... So the core of the device is an energy ball that
    gets bigger when those rings spin faster. This doesn't seem like a
    blackhole (which is supposed to be ... black :-) ).

I'm thinking that ... hmm ... well ... the device might be one of those
    special mice (half-ascended by the ori in a twisted manner) that
    run very fast inside an energy sphere and creating huge amounts of
    energy.

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
      If they get the chance, I'm sure they will. IMO though, so far, I'm loving the designs of the inside of the Ori vessels. Very cool and sleek.
      Yes they are much cooler than the goa'uld Motherships.
      Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
      "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
      Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by HyperspaceDaemon
        I've watched again the scene where the ship Adria reactivates the ship.
        At first we can see 3 rings spinning around an energy ball. Then the
        rings start to spin faster, which makes the emaned energy grow so much
        that we can barely see the spinning because the amount of energy is
        tremendous.... So the core of the device is an energy ball that
        gets bigger when those rings spin faster. This doesn't seem like a
        blackhole (which is supposed to be ... black :-) ).

I'm thinking that ... hmm ... well ... the device might be one of those
        special mice (half-ascended by the ori in a twisted manner) that
        run very fast inside an energy sphere and creating huge amounts of
        energy.
        Unless you're manipulating the energy with muon radiation in the catalytic converter to the square root of pi. Of course, then you'd have to throw in some dihydrogen monoxide, and release a significant amount of saliva into the device.

Comment

it's a trinity power source. which is almost the same as a simularity
          A CORNERED FOX IS MORE DANGEROUS THAN A JACKAL!

Comment

God forbid anyone bring up real science on these forums but powering a ship with a black hole would produce a couple of very big problems. First, the gravitational tidal forces would tear the ship apart, gravity from the singularity would be pulling on the inside of the ship much harder than the outside, thus pulling it apart. This effect occurs around all massive bodies (even earth) but is much more pronounced around extremely dense objects like black holes. Furthermore, this effect is caused by the warping of space-time, so no ammount of shielding would help. Second, because of that warping; time dialation would occur, so clocks and equipment towards the center of the ship would run significantly slower than ones towards the outside (this would be a serious problem). Also, any current theories about derriving energy from black holes involve "feeding them" and using those tidal forces to turn that matter into energy. "Feeding" the black hole would cause it to expand, thus swallowing the entire ship. So, at least with our currnet understanding of physics, powering a ship with a black hole would be extremely problematic at best.

btw.... has it ever been stated what the main power source on the odyssey class ships are? I doubt naquadah generators put out enough juice for intergalactic trips.

Comment

Originally posted by D0nk3y
              btw.... has it ever been stated what the main power source on the odyssey class ships are? I doubt naquadah generators put out enough juice for intergalactic trips.
              I think it was a naquadriah generator?

Comment

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but the energy shield that surrounded the black hole (forgot the episode, but there was a massive energy shield on a planet, and the planet became a black hole, or something...) was used to absorb the energy from it, right? This energy then powered the super gate?

I like donuts and good rep . P.S. If you send me good rep, I send it back . If you send me Donuts...I'll...umm...*Silence*

Comment

Not quite right.

The force field surrounding the planet basically "crushes" the planet into a microsingularity, and the gravitational energy from that powers the supergate.

Or something.

Comment

Originally posted by thenimf
                    I think it was a naquadriah generator?
                    yep - SG1 managed to overcome the instabilities & use it successfully for the 1st time on the X303 (Prometheus)
                    Last edited by SoulReaver; 28 August 2006, 08:23 AM.

Comment

For some reason I thought that the prior dialed the stargate on the planet to a black hole, and that was what crushed the planet.

I like donuts and good rep . P.S. If you send me good rep, I send it back . If you send me Donuts...I'll...umm...*Silence*

Comment

Originally posted by unknown.entity
                        I believe the Ori Warship power generator is a working version of Project Arcturus which by the way "would explain why the shields of the ship are so ridiculously strong". I took screenshots of both the Ori Warship power generator and Project Arcturus to help compare the two:
                        Spoiler:

Hope this helps.
                        Hello there.

I doubt that for a couple of reasons.
                        Remember, in Trinity, Radek did say that the very act of trying to contain vacuum energy from our own space time creates an environment where the laws of physics cease to apply.
                        As power output increases, new and exotic particles are continuously created and destroyed inside the containment chamber, interacting with each other and with the field itself. Eventually particles are created that cannot be predicted in this space time, and they breach the containment field as hard radiation.
                        You cannot predict something that is inherently unpredictable.

Now, you are saying that the Ori have managed to predict the inherently unpredictable, and have managed to design and build fail safe systems that can automatically compensate for such unpredictability, with no breach in the containment chamber, and no hard radiation?
                        Doubtful.
                        Watch Trinity again, when the Arcturus device powers up. Check out the distance between the containment field, and the power generation/extraction.
                        With the Ori ship, the ball of energy can be seen to visibly glow and diminish. Get bigger, and smaller. And there appears to be a shield of some kind around it.
                        My guess, would be a micro singularity. After all, the Ori are known for such technology already: such power sources power the supergate. It wouldn't be such a stretch to say that their ships are also powered by such energy sources.
                        Also watch how the energy is transferred. The Arcturus device does not have any kind of energy flow in any particular direction that can be seen. The Ori power source, however, flows in one direction, that can be seen.
                        Ori ships powered by Zero Point Energy extracted from our own space time? Nope. If the writers say the Ori ships possess a working version of Arcturus, it would be a massive cop out in my view. Contradicting their own canon.
                        The only way to really control something like this (in my view) would be if an ascended being was there, controlling everything coming in, so to speak. That might work.
                        Whilst such power sources are as powerful as the scope of our own universe, our universe is limitless, and who is to say that our understanding of physics will ever end? I'm sure that there are more bits and pieces to be found
                        strength must be balanced with sweetness of temperament

Comment

Originally posted by D0nk3y
                          God forbid anyone bring up real science on these forums but powering a ship with a black hole would produce a couple of very big problems. First, the gravitational tidal forces would tear the ship apart, gravity from the singularity would be pulling on the inside of the ship much harder than the outside, thus pulling it apart. This effect occurs around all massive bodies (even earth) but is much more pronounced around extremely dense objects like black holes. Furthermore, this effect is caused by the warping of space-time, so no ammount of shielding would help. Second, because of that warping; time dialation would occur, so clocks and equipment towards the center of the ship would run significantly slower than ones towards the outside (this would be a serious problem). Also, any current theories about derriving energy from black holes involve "feeding them" and using those tidal forces to turn that matter into energy. "Feeding" the black hole would cause it to expand, thus swallowing the entire ship. So, at least with our currnet understanding of physics, powering a ship with a black hole would be extremely problematic at best.

There was an experiment done in a US Lab where scientists created a micro- black hole for less than a second. They said the reason it didn't survive is because it needed to be in a vacuum.

Best Stargate quote:
                          Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                          Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by dosed150
                            i thought it might be something like the power source in romulan warbirds in star trek tng onwards they use an artificial quantum singularity , creating something like that would be fairy easy for the ori
                            yep in TnG (can't remember the episode) they mentionned those warbirds using an artificial singularity as power - when I saw the ZPMs in SG I immediately though of the romulans, the 2 technologies do sound familiar (semantically at any rate -)

ZPMs draw energy from vacuum (ie. "nothing") and romulan warships are powered by a singularity (which mathematically speaking is basically a "dot" in space, ie. 0-dimensional)

Comment

Originally posted by freyr's mother
                              There was an experiment done in a US Lab where scientists created a micro- black hole for less than a second. They said the reason it didn't survive is because it needed to be in a vacuum.
                              would have been funny if they'd accidentally created a bigger black hole than they expected :|

(of course that also would have "sucked" -)

Comment

as for the comparison with the Arcturus project - that was deemed impossible since it would basically create a bunch of particles that would violate the laws of physics of the universe ("exotic particles") - but who said our universe is THE Universe? How about parallel universes that together with ours would form a bigger universe (more like a multiverse)? Perhaps the ancients/Ori transcend the interdimensional barrier...or perhaps they can't yet, but have the potential of ascending to an even higher plane where they can (eg. to counter Merlin's weapon)

duh...come 2 think of it such conjecture based on a single scene of a single episode is kinda pointless as we'll never know unless the writers want us to

Comment

Working...
                                X