Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And not to mention the fact that SG-1 will go where no other series has gone before, setting new boudaries for other series and making a series obbey to the economic rules in the true sense. Fans (consumers) will buy the product if they like it and only if they like it.
    And if SG-1 makes it this way there will be practicaly nothing stopping it, except the costs.
    School is overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by dec55
      In can be a good idea...when you put in perspective that your major outlet just canned your show.....the idea of direct to DVD is a alternative that can change things..... If SG1 the series can't find a cable outlet......straight to DVD is a viable alternative that may keep the show a float in a different form.

If MGM and Sony is willing to take the financial risk to open new territory....
      Sg1 may open the way to revive shows that have devoted fans who will be
      willing to pay top dollar for a beloved series......and bypass the TPTB channels altogether.
      This would be a huge risk, but I'd commend MGM if they were to try it. Sony, by the way, has nothing to do with Stargate except for the fact that it releases the slim-line DVDs or whatever. That or maybe it doesn't have anything to do with Stargate at all.

Last time I checked, Stargate is fully funded by MGM.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII
        This would be a huge risk, but I'd commend MGM if they were to try it. Sony, by the way, has nothing to do with Stargate except for the fact that it releases the slim-line DVDs or whatever. That or maybe it doesn't have anything to do with Stargate at all.

I believe Sony owns a percentage of MGM......

Stargate 200
        Science-Fiction Series 'SG-1' Is Cable's First to Reach Historic Milestone
        By Mary McNamara 5/8/2006

Standing in front of the 21-foot-tall stargate prop on the set, immediately following a celebratory gathering and cake-cutting, is Sony Pictures Television executive vice president of programming Jeanie Bradley, a 30-year veteran who started out at Norman Lear's Tandem T.A.T. production company. (SPT oversees production.)

Stargate SG-1 came under her auspices after MGM was sold last year to a consortium led by Sony, Comcast Corp. and several private-equity firms. The largest single shareholder is Providence Equity Partners, which specializes in media and communications investments (including cable operator Bresnan Communications and the Yankees Entertainment & Sports Network), followed by Texas Pacific Group, known for investments in such branded companies as Continental Airlines and J. Crew. Comcast and Sony are strategic shareholders in MGM, owning 20% each.
        Link:

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6332083.html

ast Update: 6:30 PM ET Aug 21, 2006

DOW JONES NEWSWIRES
        Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. said episodes of its science-fiction television series "Stargate SG1" and "Stargate Atlantis" will be now available as downloads on Apple Computer Inc.'s (APPL) iTunes Music Store.
        The studio said the agreement is the first step in an ongoing program to increase electronic distribution of its productions.
        Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc.'s owners include Providence Equity Partners, Texas Pacific Group (TGP.XX), Sony Corp. of America (SNE), Comcast Corp. (CMSCA), DLJ Merchant Banking Partners and Quadrangle Group.
        Link:
        http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Stor...FF%7D&keyword=
        Last edited by dec55; 22 August 2006, 11:14 PM.
        Actor:"A zombie has no will of his own. You see them sometimes, walking around blindly with dead eyes. Following orders." Not knowing what they do, not caring."Bob Hope :" You mean like Democrats?"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWpU8...elated&search=Bob Hope in the movie ghostbreakers.

Comment

Originally posted by dec55
          I believe Sony owns a percentage of MGM......

Stargate 200
          Science-Fiction Series 'SG-1' Is Cable's First to Reach Historic Milestone
          By Mary McNamara 5/8/2006

Link:

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6332083.html

Link:
          http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Stor...FF%7D&keyword=
          Yes, but I read a Gateworld article where it said that Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis are shows that MGM funds everything and stuff. >_>'

Comment

Yes, but I read a Gateworld article where it said that Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis are shows that MGM funds everything and stuff. >_>'
            Yeah but SONY is in charge of there Advertising , and DVD sales ... So SONY does have there intrest in the show as well .... Also if you read some of the new stuff about Sci-Fi Cancelling the show , it stats that MGM and SONY arnt letting STARGATE Die ...

Comment

I agree and think it would be too big of a risk.
              Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
              "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
              Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82
                I agree and think it would be too big of a risk.
                SG1 going for 10 years as a series was always a risk.........
                All I am saying, the days for griping at bottom line execs who cancel shows
                that clearly has a devoted following should be over....

MGM took a risk by going to Canada to make the series...and got 10 years out
                of it.... By all accounts SG1 should have not made it this far going by network standards. I say it is time again to do something different. The benefits are there. DVD is the future. Time to exploit it to keep the series going..if needed.

DVD's got Firefly it's movie......I think the film would have been more successful if it just bypassed theaters altogether and got more profit for Universal by way of the DVD market.
                Actor:"A zombie has no will of his own. You see them sometimes, walking around blindly with dead eyes. Following orders." Not knowing what they do, not caring."Bob Hope :" You mean like Democrats?"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWpU8...elated&search=Bob Hope in the movie ghostbreakers.

Comment

Yes that will be cool, but we will have to support it
                  Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

Originally posted by creed462
                    Yes that will be cool, but we will have to support it
                    Thats the problem. It would take huge support and while I would I'm not sure enough would.

Comment

i'd be fine with 10 eps as long as they were ownage. family guy showed that dvd sales can revive series. buy dvds guys
                      A CORNERED FOX IS MORE DANGEROUS THAN A JACKAL!

Comment

If they were to do direct to DVD they would have to release it EVERYWHERE. Unlike Sci-Fi that makes certain countries wait 6 months after one country gets it. If you ask me it could work just for the fact that ANY & ALL FANS EVERYWHERE would be willing & would buy the straight to DVDs stuff. Sci-Fi has a ratings problem because they alienate more then half of the fan base by making them wait & not doing including them at all. Straight to DVDs would certainly get more itno Stargate if you ask me

Comment

Direct to DVD cheapens the perception of the series. I'm against it!
                          sigpic

Comment

what you need to understand is that doing it direct to dvd means you need money upfront, when its shown on tv like on sci-fi, they will usually put up the money at the beginning to make the show, if it was to goto dvd, that money wont be there, if they dont have the avaialble funds you cant really expect them to work for a year for free in the hope they'll make the money back from the DVD's

Comment

rather have a Movie... this is Stargate not Mary kate and Ashley Franchise... We dont have the PErverts to buy the DVDs. lol
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

Originally posted by Dusk
                                Direct to DVD cheapens the perception of the series. I'm against it!
                                So am I!

Comment

Working...
                                X