• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PG15
    The party was for Stargate SG1.

Simple.
    Not for some.
    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82
      Not for some.
      I believe the word for that is overanalysis(which admittedly I do a lot too)
      Such a shame that I wouldn't know by now your revelations
      Cut me in, I don't wanna live without your revelations.
      -Audioslave

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
        They gathered all the SG teams and sent them offworld with a cake to celebrate the 200th time that Mitchell walked through an event horizon? A random factoid that no one but Mitchell had anyway of knowing or caring about?

That makes no sense whatsoever.
        LOL

I love Mitchell's character to death, but they wouldn't be celebrating his 200th trip through the gate... especially when he admitted it was 200 total times, not through the one Stargate we have.

It was definetely for O'Neill...

Mitchell wanted a surprise party for his dad, you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Smashman
          How about they were going through the gate to a party about the 200th ep of the show, kind of admitting it's just a show within the show?

Given the tone of the rest of the ep, I thought this was an obvious conclusion.

Yeah, that's what I thought. As "real" as the trip through the gate seemed at first, it quickly became unreal when first Landry decided to go in his regular clothes, then he asked Walter to go and Walter changed in the blink of an eye as he left the control room, then Jack even asks the writer guy to go. All of these things told me that we had left reality behind and were now in the metaverse of the show within a show.

Then when the very next scene is the Wormhole Extreme celebration, I just sort of assumed that we had morphed into their party.

Comment

Whoever the party was for, I'm sure the cake was delicious.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo
              my god people.

Look.

Going through the gate, to a SURPRISE party offworld to comemorate Mitchell's 200th trip was the point of the episode.

WHAT?? If that was the *actual* point of the characters all being together, than it is no wonder I quit watching after season 8.

Comment

Originally posted by Kri
                WHAT?? If that was the *actual* point of the characters all being together, than it is no wonder I quit watching after season 8.
                I don't think that was the actual point. TPTB left it open for us to interpret as we wish. That way, everyone can be happy in their own way.
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I don't care if Mitchell counted and I don't find it arrogant...it's kind of endearing. I just can't imagine the SGC expending the time nor resources to set up a big party to celebrate something that only means something to Mitchell.

For people to suggest that the SGC would plan a massive party offworld with all the SG teams in attendance...with CAKE...because one of their officers had stepped through a puddle 200 times just seems ludicrous. I mean how many times did Jack step through? Or Sam? Or Daniel or Teal'c? Why would they throw a party for something so...frankly...TRIVIAL? Unless the SGC is all about Mitchell and making him feel good, which again, seems patently ridiculous.

It makes a lot more sense that the party is related to Jack...the "gate error" meant to stall things until he got there and the location of the party somewhere safe where they could relax and enjoy themselves.

But what's big enough to set up such a massive undertaking? I'm wondering if it's a retirement thing. People do celebrate things like that and it'd make sense that all the SG teams would want to attend that.

Of course the party might have no internal logic at all and simply be a fun way for the characters to celebrate 10 years of Stargate SG-1.
                  I agree with your last suggestion. The party probably has no meaning except to celebrate 10 yrs and 200 eps of SG-1.
                  Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
                    I don't think that was the actual point. TPTB left it open for us to interpret as we wish. That way, everyone can be happy in their own way.

..and by happy in their own way, you mean angry & venting on a forum as they would regardless of what actually happened on the show?

Yep, that's how everyone interpreted it.

Comment

That makes a little more sense...but I still wonder what the occasion was.
                      I think the party is for Jack, to announce his retirement. Landry and Walter knew what was up, and Landry didn't seem surprised when Jack dropped in.

Comment

Originally posted by Seshat
                        Yes, of course. That's why writing it into the episode was just another joke the writers were having. It works if you don't take any part of the ep so seriously, which the writers obviously didn't.
                        I agree with Über. I just think it's ludicrous that they'd have a party for that. I think the point is to pull us over to Jack's other SG-1 episode this season. I think that's when we'll find out what the party was for.

Either that, or it was meaningless...but I don't think the SGC throws parties for such occasions as a character's 200th time stepping through the gate. LOL! They'd be having cake every day!

Comment

Of course the party might have no internal logic at all and simply be a fun way for the characters to celebrate 10 years of Stargate SG-1.
                          In terms of the show, yes, that's exactly what it was.

In terms of the show's world, it's all in Mitchell's head.

Comment

this thread and the people in it make me want to punch my mother in the face.

Comment

The party was for the entire SG community. That's why they showed all those people who are involved with the program going through the gate. It's just collective symbolism. Everyone involved with SG- cast, crew, fans- are symbolically going through the gate and collectively celebrating the 200th episode. It's tongue-in-cheek.
                              They figured he was a lazy, time-wasting slacker. They were right.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude
                                The party was for the entire SG community. That's why they showed all those people who are involved with the program going through the gate. It's just collective symbolism. Everyone involved with SG- cast, crew, fans- are symbolically going through the gate and collectively celebrating the 200th episode. It's tongue-in-cheek.
                                I can also lend agreement to this idea as well - which someone else said earlier that infact everyone was going through the gate to celebrate the shows 200th episode and they were having cake.

It's an idea I hadn't thought of, and a good one too. It makes sense on its own, and it can also allow the idea that it was for Mitchell in the actual episode, but still remain symbolic.

The fact remains though, the party was not for O'Neill.
                                Why would he randomly show up.....for his own surprise party?

THINK people.

Comment

Working...
                                X