Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe I just wasn't in the right frame of mind when I watched it - but I really didn't like this episode. Apart from yet another 30 second Jack appearance it just didn't flow. I liked a lot of the inside jokes - but thought the Furlings bit and the Wizard of Oz bits were just badly done. The concept was ok, but badly executed (maybe another inside joke, who knows). On top of all that, I had high hopes for this episode because I seem to be one of the few who actually liked to 100th episode and what it was trying to do.

More on topic, and to the episode itself, did I miss something or was the cause of the gate not working actually mentioned?

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
      True, but guess what, a lot of people are different from you, and they can't control their feelings.

Nope, sorry, not buying it. Do these people have a medical condition or chemical imbalance that would explain their inability to behave? If not, they choose to do everything they do. And, they can choose not to. I also assume that everyone here is above the age of reason and understands basic rules and tenants of society. And, it's not about feelings. This is about actions.

People don't choose to dislike something (well, unless they're maschocists and into pain). People do choose how they behave.
      I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by AdamRLeggett
        Maybe I just wasn't in the right frame of mind when I watched it - but I really didn't like this episode. Apart from yet another 30 second Jack appearance it just didn't flow. I liked a lot of the inside jokes - but thought the Furlings bit and the Wizard of Oz bits were just badly done. The concept was ok, but badly executed (maybe another inside joke, who knows). On top of all that, I had high hopes for this episode because I seem to be one of the few who actually liked to 100th episode and what it was trying to do.

More on topic, and to the episode itself, did I miss something or was the cause of the gate not working actually mentioned?
        The cause was never mentioned.
        Such a shame that I wouldn't know by now your revelations
        Cut me in, I don't wanna live without your revelations.
        -Audioslave

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
          Nope, sorry, not buying it. Do these people have a medical condition or chemical imbalance that would explain their inability to behave? If not, they choose to do everything they do. And, they can choose not to. I also assume that everyone here is above the age of reason and understands basic rules and tenants of society.

People don't choose to dislike something (well, unless they're maschocists and into pain). People do choose how they behave.
          I think some people do choose to dislike some things. Especially if they've been unhappy with something for sometime, and just don't want to change their position. I know some people like that. Even if they like it now, they still "officially" hate it.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
            I think some people do choose to dislike some things. Especially if they've been unhappy with something for sometime, and just don't want to change their position. I know some people like that. Even if they like it now, they still "officially" hate it.

Have these people confessed to liking it somewhere and are posting that they hate it somewhere else?

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Comment

Have these people confessed to liking it somewhere and are posting that they hate it somewhere else?
              I'm not just talking about on this forum. Just in general. But yes, there is one such person I used to PM with quite a lot. Just not naming any names.
              sigpic
              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
              "...phu...ah..."
              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Don't need names. Just wondering about what kind of person would admit to lying about their feelings. It seems to defeat the purpose of the lie.

Comment

Actuallly, i don't agree. For instance Jazz is a very subtle type of music that some people may not like it at first hearing but some may change their opinions after being educated to the rythmic.

This also applies for classical, suchi and sarcasm. It's not simply a matter of tastes, it's because you can only like what you can perceive from things. And you can choose to try these things out.

Comment

Originally posted by jeb
                    Actuallly, i don't agree. For instance Jazz is a very subtle type of music that some people may not like it at first hearing but some may change their opinions after being educated to the rythmic.

This also applies for classical, suchi and sarcasm. It's not simply a matter of tastes, it's because you can only like what you can perceive from things. And you can choose to try these things.
                    That's not choice though. Actually, Dani is wrong about that because although you can't consciously choose to like or dislike something you can subconsciously do so.
                    -Audioslave

Comment

Don't need names. Just wondering about what kind of person would admit to lying about their feelings. It seems to defeat the purpose of the lie.
                      I think it might be some imagined peer pressure thing.
                      -Audioslave

Comment

Originally posted by jeb

This also applies for classical, suchi and sarcasm. It's not simply a matter of tastes, it's because you can only like what you can perceive from things. And you can choose to try these things out.

But, even if you spend years studying jazz, there's no guarantee that you'll ever like it. You might end up liking it later, but not because you chose to like it. You can choose whether or not to give something a chance, and after that, it's all a matter of taste.

I also disagree with full.infinity that people subconsciously choose to dislike something. Or, I'm wondering how anyone except the person doing the disliking knows that they're subconsiously choosing. (and if it's subconscious, the person themselves wouldn't know either, would they?)

Comment

I bolded the may, but yeah.

I actually agree with full.infinity despite quoting me, as things that you do not know (which make you unsafe) can subconsciously be avoided/disliked. It's a human even mamal safeguard to avoid potential danger (and increase reproduction).

And when i was a kid, i remember choosing to dislike stuff just to be hip. I never got into some types of music and now i still dislike them, maybe simply because i never paid attention.

Comment

I really would like to know the ages of the people who hated it. As I'm one of the more 'mature' viewers I found this episodes to be absolutely side splittingly funny.

The best thing about a sci fi show is one that can look at itself and laugh about it. Another one that did that but this was on an artistic scale was Farscape.

This episode encapsulated most cult sci-fi shows and I found it extremely funny and worthy of respect in that it paid homage to so many sci fi shows.

It seems the writers take on board what people say about the show and incorporate it. I loved it when Jack shows up and everyone says the lantern line but then says that it won't be a surprise cos he'll be in spoilers and the trailer for the episode.

Classic! Dont fault it. Kudos.

Comment

Nope, sorry, not buying it. Do these people have a medical condition or chemical imbalance that would explain their inability to behave? If not, they choose to do everything they do. And, they can choose not to. I also assume that everyone here is above the age of reason and understands basic rules and tenants of society. And, it's not about feelings. This is about actions.

And you just insulted anyone who isn't acting like you as having mental problems.

Well done.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
                                And you just insulted anyone who isn't acting like you as having mental problems.

Well done.

I so freaking, bloody, absolutely did not. I said, I don't believe these people have mental problems. I said if they do, they would have a legitimate excuse for behaving that way. You really can't blame someone with Tourette's syndrome for blurting out obscenities. If they haven't been treated, they can't help it. I said, as far as I know, everyone here can control themselves, because they don'thave mental problems which might be mitigating excuses.

Did you just read the words mental problems and assume an insult without reading the whole post?

Comment

Working...
                                X