This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kazzyk
    I agree. People just didnt come back this year.
    The rating of 1.5 actually includes DVR. Live +DVR in an attempt to take in account those that tape.
    Which means the live rating was a tad lower.

I suppose there are all kinds of things folks can blame this on but IMO---the formula that made SG what it was is now gone and the "new" has not been accepted by a good number of people.

I see Sci-Fi already backing off SG and once they get that coveted 200 number I feel we will see further distance.

Maybe the writers are tired or bored like Sky said--the scripts certainly do not seem to have the well thought out stories we watched for 8 yrs.
    Who knows--personally--I think its over and TPTB already know it.

There is good news--I think the franchise will continue in some fashion IE: movies, specials etc....
    7 years. Season 8 wasn't that much of an improvement but that's just me.
    Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
    encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
    3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
    4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
    5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

If this is the last season of SG1...they will do some sort of mini series to tie up the Ori story.

Comment

Originally posted by GateMan2000
        If this is the last season of SG1...they will do some sort of mini series to tie up the Ori story.
        It depends. TPTB and Sci-Fi may not want to leave the Ori story open. It's possible that we might see a miraculous victory over the Ori in the last episode and that any miniseries - they may or may not make one, so I don't see them wanting to leave the show on a cliffhanger - would deal with another villain.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

wow 1.5 for the best episode in years thats just crazy.
          BRING BACK THE NOX!!!!!
          Also bring back Jack and get rid of that other guy whatever his name is.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefreyu
            wow 1.5 for the best episode in years thats just crazy.
            Which episode are you referring to?

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
              And does that also imply that the ratings for SG1 and Atlantis have been higher in the past season or two thanks to BSG or, vice versa, would have been lower without it?

I'm all but convinced that the lower ratings this season are due to losing BSG as the anchor. Not much you can do about it now though.

ETA: Just curious - who would get the profits if they stuck Stargate eps on iTunes like BSG? SciFi? MGM/Sony? Both?

Sony/MGM would be the one to share the profits, since they own it. But I don't see that iTunes in Sg-1/Atl. future, MGM has a deal with Fox to distribute DVD's and MGM wants that all alone.

Comment

Ratings such as these aren't fair assesments. Nielsen Ratings and boxes are completely stupid...they should determine a proper way to asses it before becoming doomsayers

Comment

guys

let's remember please that this thread is to discuss the RATINGS, not the show itself.

Yes, i know that some comparison is inevitable, but this thread should not descend into a lengthy 'this is why it sucks' thread.
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                    if people who recorded episodes didn't count towards Nielsen ratings before, this cannot be blamed either.
                    FYI--VCR recording has always counted toward ratings and is still does. What has changed is how DVR's are counted. Due to technological advances in metering technology, more detail is possible and playback behavior is counted, not just recording. Hence, a different way to show the ratings has arrived. Technology giveth and technology taketh away.

The number of DVR owners does not even approach the number of VCR owners yet.

Comment

The ratings also don't and can ever take into account folks like me, I dont' have digital cable. My dvr records off air (and it's really a dvd recorder anyway)

and i'm in the midwest, and a vast majority of our people do not live in large metropolis'. nor do they have cable (some do fit in because they have teh mini dishes)

my point is that there's huge chunks of the population that are ignored because the measuring technology isn't available

and i'm not even gonna start on teh Big Brother potential for spying on people with said technology. Every little bit of this tech just chips away at an individual's privacy
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Another reason why ratings are down that I have not seen discussed here is that Scifi, in many locations, has gone from Basic cable to Premium. Chicago's Comcast provider made the genious decision of putting Scifi with the premium package, as of August 22nd, 2005. This might also account for why ratings of part 2 of that season were lower.

It makes the reason for BOTH shows (BSG, too) ratings lower make a little more sense, rather than the amusing "the writing is bad" theory.

I'm also hearing now that more areas are doing this?

And as for SG-1 and SG-A being the number 3 & 4 shows, cancelling them might be stupid from that point of view, but remember that Farscape was cancelled when it was their #2, behind SG-1. Invisible Man was cancelled when it was their #2, and Lexx was killed when it was their #3. First Wave was cancelled at #3 also.

The station might be thinking that a just a couple extra tenths of a rating point not be worth the million of extra dollars. BSG would be spared this fate to a dregree because of it's "acclaim". The one thing almost more salivating to a station than a Nielson point is to have TV Guide rave about one of your shows every night of every week. Farscape was cancelled when it was only achieving numbers of 1.0! Had the show not been a critics favorite, Scifi would have been far less lenient. Sadly the Stargates don't get this type of recognition.

But either way, all this doomsday talk happened at the end of season nine and two as well. A couple different topics on the 1.6/1.5 ratings both shows started experiencing near the end. Scifi still renewed. Too be honest, sometimes you guys get a little too naysay.

Sure there's more reason now more than ever to be that way, but lighten up. Try enjoying the show while it's on. I have been since season five ended.
                        Music Profile: 83710 Songs --- 3714 Artists --- 7051 Albums

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                          and i'm not even gonna start on teh Big Brother potential for spying on people with said technology. Every little bit of this tech just chips away at an individual's privacy
                          I don't see it that way at all. I wouldn't mind networks being able to track what I watch. Who cares? At least if they could track accurately what people are or aren't watching, good shows wouldn't get axed so darn much. I don't like the future of programs I enjoy coming down to if someone with a stupid box in their home decided to watch or not watch it. I want my viewing to count.
                          sigpic
                          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                          "...phu...ah..."
                          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I don't see how knowing what your watching harms your privacy. There's not watching you shower :/

Your internet provider (cable, at least) tracks what sites you visit, so...
                            Music Profile: 83710 Songs --- 3714 Artists --- 7051 Albums

Comment

Originally posted by Chricton
                              I don't see how knowing what your watching harms your privacy. There's not watching you shower :/

Your internet provider (cable, at least) tracks what sites you visit, so...
                              Yeah, I wouldn't see it as a privacy issue. If people are concerned, they should make it voluntary then. I know I'd sign up for it.
                              sigpic
                              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                              "...phu...ah..."
                              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Chricton
                                Another reason why ratings are down that I have not seen discussed here is that Scifi, in many locations, has gone from Basic cable to Premium. Chicago's Comcast provider made the genious decision of putting Scifi with the premium package, as of August 22nd, 2005. This might also account for why ratings of part 2 of that season were lower.

It makes the reason for BOTH shows (BSG, too) ratings lower make a little more sense, rather than the amusing "the writing is bad" theory.

I'm also hearing now that more areas are doing this?

And as for SG-1 and SG-A being the number 3 & 4 shows, cancelling them might be stupid from that point of view, but remember that Farscape was cancelled when it was their #2, behind SG-1. Invisible Man was cancelled when it was their #2, and Lexx was killed when it was their #3. First Wave was cancelled at #3 also.

The station might be thinking that a just a couple extra tenths of a rating point not be worth the million of extra dollars. BSG would be spared this fate to a dregree because of it's "acclaim". The one thing almost more salivating to a station than a Nielson point is to have TV Guide rave about one of your shows every night of every week. Farscape was cancelled when it was only achieving numbers of 1.0! Had the show not been a critics favorite, Scifi would have been far less lenient. Sadly the Stargates don't get this type of recognition.

But either way, all this doomsday talk happened at the end of season nine and two as well. A couple different topics on the 1.6/1.5 ratings both shows started experiencing near the end. Scifi still renewed. Too be honest, sometimes you guys get a little too naysay.

Sure there's more reason now more than ever to be that way, but lighten up. Try enjoying the show while it's on. I have been since season five ended.

I think you're on to something there...when Sci-Fi switched to the upper packages, I know a lot of people who couldn't afford to upgrade...therefore forcing them to download the episodes...
                                It feels good to be alive.
                                Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

Working...
                                X