This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Freekzilla
    I'm a little perplexed as to why the shows are not doing so well. So far, both shows are better than last years. S10 is clearly better than S9 od SG-1. And S3 is atleast as good, if not better than the same time period of S2 of Atlantis. Frankly, I am very enthusiastic about the performance this year. Based on what I've seen, I think the quality warrants atleast 2 more years of each show, and a budget increase to go along with a better advertising system for the shows.
    I'd have to disagree about S10 being better than S9 at this point for me (maybe 200 will change that soon) but I agree that so far S3 Atlantis has been better than S2. Don't know what happened to all the viewers frankly, Allies and Camelot weren't bad so how come only 2/3s of the viewership came back?
    Last edited by Descent; 16 August 2006, 07:52 PM.
    sigpic
    "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
    DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Originally posted by scifi woman
      Hi! I have a stupid question.

What are the ratings like in other countries?

The USA is not the only country that SG-1 and SG-A are shown in. The shows are immensely popular world-wide. What are the Canadian ratings for instance?

Even if they are still a year behind in some countries, I'd be really curious at looking at all the numbers.

Do they measure the 18-49 adult male demigraphics as well globally like they do for the USA?

I don't see how a decision to end the shows after this season can be made if it so extremely popular world-wide.

(Not to mention DVD sales, merchandising, syndication deals .......)

Thanks for any insights.

That's a good point. How does international ratings affect the decisions? I know the US ratings affect the amount they charge for commercial time shown here in the US, but how do they do it elsewhere? Could the international contigent actually save the day the SG shows? I hope so.
      Wraith, the OTHER white meat.
      Loyalty above all else, except Honor.

Comment

Originally posted by Descent
        I'd have to disagree about S9 being better than S10 at this point for me (maybe 200 will change that soon) but I agree that so far S3 Atlantis has been better than S2. Don't know what happened to all the viewers frankly, Allies and Camelot weren't bad so how come only 2/3s of the viewership came back?
        Actually, I said Season 10 is better than Season 9, not the other way around. Please double check that. And otherwise, Season 2 and season 9 got better towards the end, and Camalot, well, all I can say is WOW! I thought Allies was good, but a little predictable. As soon as Rodney volunteered to go to the hive ship, I knew what was going to happen.
        Wraith, the OTHER white meat.
        Loyalty above all else, except Honor.

Comment

Actually, I said Season 10 is better than Season 9, not the other way around. Please double check that.
          Oh man, sorry, now I feel stupid. What I MEANT to say was: "I disagree with your comment that S10 is better than S9 so far (maybe 200 will change that)" Sorry, im kind of out of it today.
          sigpic
          "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
          DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDuh
            Yeah, because that happens to all cancled shows.
            Those with a big fanbase, it does happen quite often, although often not as well as would be liked.
            Firefly got a movie.
            Farscape got a miniseries.
            Such a shame that I wouldn't know by now your revelations
            Cut me in, I don't wanna live without your revelations.
            -Audioslave

Comment

I'm a little perplexed as to why the shows are not doing so well. So far, both shows are better than last years. S10 is clearly better than S9 of SG-1. And S3 is atleast as good, if not better than the same time period of S2 of Atlantis. Frankly, I am very enthusiastic about the performance this year. Based on what I've seen, I think the quality warrants atleast 2 more years of each show, and a budget increase to go along with a better advertising system for the shows.
              Season 10 is very good this year but I happen to think season 9 was also very good. S3 of atlantis is very good and I also thought season 2 was good too. I agree about the quality and would love to see 2 more years of each show. Personally I'd be happy with one mor year of SG-1 and then see Atlantis continue.
              Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
              "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
              Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Padme18
                Hopefully they will go up with RDA returning friday night.
                Strangely if the ratings do suddenly jump up to say 1.8 or 1.9 for the 200th episode it may not be a very good thing for franchise? Why?

Because for three years RDA wanted to quit the show and for three years Sci-Fi refused to renew the show unless RDA agreed to remain on the show. It was only after Atlantis did well in the ratings without RDA that Sci-Fi agreed to renew Stargate's contract without RDA as lead. And while season 9 did do fairly well in terms of ratings in the first part of the season, for whatever reasons the ratings began to drop and have nearly bottomed out for the first five episodes of season 10.

So if the 200th episode with RDA suddenly jumps substantially in the ratings, what do you think the odds are that Sci-Fi suddenly request that RDA be a part of S11 in order to renew their contract?

I know many people are hoping that the episodes with RDA increase the ratings and there is a very good possibility that that may, but don't be shocked at the end of the season to find out that RDA is back in the top billing spot, because in the end it all comes down to ratings and money.

Now for fans like myself who miss the old chemistry of the show that's a pretty good thing, but I can't imagine those who are enjoying things the way they presently are to be jumping for joy. I suppose time will tell.
                Last edited by ForeverSg1; 16 August 2006, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                  Strangely if the ratings do suddenly jump up to say 1.8 or 1.9 for the 200th episode it may not be a very good thing for franchise? Why?

Because for three years RDA wanted to quit the show and for three years Sci-Fi refused to renew the show unless RDA agreed to remain on the show. It was only after Atlantis did well in the ratings without RDA that Sci-Fi agreed to renewal their contract without RDA as lead. However, while season 9 did fair in the first part of the season, it continued to drop in ratings throughout the season and it's nearly bottomed out for the first five episodes of season 10.

So if the 200th episode with RDA suddenly jumps substantially in the ratings, what do you think the odds are that Sci-Fi suddenly request that RDA be a part of S11 in order to renew their contract?

I know many people are hoping that the episodes with RDA increase the ratings and there is a very good possibility that that may, but don't be shocked at the end of the year to find out if there is a S11that RDA is back in the top billing spot, because in the end it all comes down to ratings and money.
                  I don't see aproblem here. I mean the ratings are lower but I wouldn't say that they bottomed out or that the show will be canned. If RDA comes back it wouldn't be full time. I am more than happy to see him back but full time will hurt the show IMHO because they have finally established the new guys and to have him back full time will ruin that.
                  Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                  "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                  Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

I'm going to avoid every "It shouldn't be lower becasue the shows are better" posts because I've officially given up explaining how opinions and facts are different
                    Originally posted by scifi woman
                    What are the ratings like in other countries?
                    Both shows get around 10 million viewers worldwide every episode
                    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                    - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod
                      I'm going to avoid every "It shouldn't be lower becasue the shows are better" posts because I've officially given up explaining how opinions and facts are different
                      What are you talking about? My opinions never diverge from the facts...

*whistles*
                      Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                      Yes, I am!
                      sigpic
                      Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                      Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                      Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

I'm a little perplexed as to why the shows are not doing so well. So far, both shows are better than last years. S10 is clearly better than S9 of SG-1. And S3 is atleast as good, if not better than the same time period of S2 of Atlantis. Frankly, I am very enthusiastic about the performance this year. Based on what I've seen, I think the quality warrants atleast 2 more years of each show, and a budget increase to go along with a better advertising system for the shows.
                        People's opinions of what is good or bad differ. What you may see as an improvement somebody else might see as a decline in quality.

As far as a budget increase, or a better advertising system goes, the execs at Sci-Fi may consider it too risky to devote more money to the shows if they don't think that they will get a good return on their investment.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Both shows get around 10 million viewers worldwide every episode
                          How do you know that? I've never seen anyone even post what the ratings are in Canada, let alone the other countries.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82
                            I don't see aproblem here. I mean the ratings are lower but I wouldn't say that they bottomed out or that the show will be canned. If RDA comes back it wouldn't be full time. I am more than happy to see him back but full time will hurt the show IMHO because they have finally established the new guys and to have him back full time will ruin that.

Actually I'm still waiting for the new guys to be established. I still don't think they fit in. Though the toned down Vala is doing better - she makes me laugh, not all the time but enough - than I thought she would. Mitchell, no way. He needs to go. The Ori galaxy sounds good. As long as it's permanent,
                            Please note this sentiment has nothing to do with Ben Browder as an actor/person.

I'd like RDA back if they are going to use him. Though I'd prefer him back mostly behind the scenes. I think Gekko leaving SG-1 was what started the downward spiral, Starting when Michael Greenberg left (S8 was rather spotty) and really escalating when RDA left as Exec. Producer. IMHO.

Suse
                            sigpic
                            Mourning Sanctuary.
                            Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant
                              How do you know that? I've never seen anyone even post what the ratings are in Canada, let alone the other countries.
                              Someone mentioned it on one of the latest Sci-fi Wire interviews to do with "200"
                              Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                              - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Someone mentioned it on one of the latest Sci-fi Wire interviews to do with "200"
                                That number wouldn't really surprise me at all. This show is awesome, and people all over realize that.
                                sigpic
                                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                                "...phu...ah..."
                                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Working...
                                X