Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still, given how many people d/l episodes (ableit a small number compared to the general population), wouldn't it make sense for whoever could make it happen make it available to d/l -legally-? Like a number of popular tv shows are doing, either via their own network website or through itunes. I mean.. that's money they could be making right there, quite easily.

Comment

Originally posted by nyxlily
      Still, given how many people d/l episodes (ableit a small number compared to the general population), wouldn't it make sense for whoever could make it happen make it available to d/l -legally-? Like a number of popular tv shows are doing, either via their own network website or through itunes. I mean.. that's money they could be making right there, quite easily.
      In the opinions of the networks, it wouldn't be money they could be making, unless you paid a certain fee for downloading. Advertising revenue is key to them, and if you could skip past commercials from a download, advertisers wouldn't pay the networks as much. They want people to watch these shows on tv.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by SMEAGOL2
        I dont think they will cancel them. Not yet. Any word on how episode 4 did?
        I think we'll at least get an 11th season of SG-1, and a 4th of SGA.

As for "Insiders", not sure yet. We should know in a few days.
        sigpic
        "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Hunter

It isn't a scare tactic, it's the truth!
          It's a slippery slope. Believe me, every show out there gets downloaded, including Monk (SG1's competition), but I don't see it being on the verge of being cancelled.

Besides it's the old adage here, the 2 of you claim that it doesn't matter. If everybody that downloads it illegally takes this view, then what's the point of even trying to explain the long term consequences.
          Beats me. There aren't any long-term consequences as far as I'm concerned. There just aren't enough downloaders out there (18000 vs. 2 million?)

This is obviously something that you don't understand. However I'm fairly certain that you will within the next year or 2 when one or both of them end. As much as I'd hate that, in a way I almost want it to happen. Just to see all the new eps that you can download then.
          And, we're back to the scare tactic. At least you're consistant.

Comment

Hmm. My bet is they'll cancel the show if the numbers don't improve. Best case senario is one of the shows will survive-probably Atlantis as it's the newer show.
            Networks are quite ruthless with these things.

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
              I think we'll at least get an 11th season of SG-1, and a 4th of SGA.

As for "Insiders", not sure yet. We should know in a few days.
              I agree. The show is in a bit of a drought but by no means id it over. The shows have so much more life left in them. I have a very good feeling that we will get both shows next year. Hey optimisim dosent hurt now does it?
              I hope insiders and Sateda got better ratings we shall see.
              Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
              "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
              Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82
                I hope insiders and Sateda got better ratings we shall see.
                If they didn't, people don't know what they're missing. These shows still pack quite a punch.
                sigpic
                "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
                  If they didn't, people don't know what they're missing. These shows still pack quite a punch.
                  INDEED!
                  Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                  "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                  Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Hunter
                    Problem is that it isn't Dutch is it. It'd come under US copyright because it's being shown only in the US, which is how your getting it from a tped SciFi copy. This ofcourse is obtaining it by illegal means. It isn't beiung shown on Dutch TV, so that rule does not apply! Therefore you are breaking the law.

It isn't a scare tactic, it's the truth!

Of course you don't affect the ratings of any station. When it's shown on something like TMN, you'll watch the repeats when they air, plus buy all the DVD boxsets & all the rest.

Besides it's the old adage here, the 2 of you claim that it doesn't matter. If everybody that downloads it illegally takes this view, then what's the point of even trying to explain the long term consequences.

This is obviously something that you don't understand. However I'm fairly certain that you will within the next year or 2 when one or both of them end. As much as I'd hate that, in a way I almost want it to happen. Just to see all the new eps that you can download then.
                    Unless the Dutch want to deliver me to the US I am only subject to the laws of my country (and the forum rules )

And I'd be happy to pay for episodes if they got english subtitles..
                    Last edited by Dutch_Razor; 06 August 2006, 02:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
                      Beats me. There aren't any long-term consequences as far as I'm concerned. There just aren't enough downloaders out there (18000 vs. 2 million?)
                      Indeed, and out of that 18000 number how many of those are US viewers with a Nielsen box who also skip the show? A very small number, I'd imagine.

Comment

They should factor in downloads to their ratings.

I personally download SG1 and Atlantis, I live in the UK and Id rather not wait so long to watch it when it finally comes over here.

I do however watch it on Sky one aswell when we finally air it, as in when Seasons 10 and 3 start here I will watch them again (if sci-fi factor that into their ratings).

You have to remember people around the world love Stargate but only Canada and the USA get it aired first on their tv, the rest of us have to download or wait ages.

I would also think a lot of people like me who download and watch the ep's later aswell will also buy them.

I have all the box sets on dvd and I will get each box set that comes out so Im not denying any income to Sci Fi by downloading, I just want to see my fav show asap

You also have to remember there are internet series streaming services where people pay a fee and can then watch and of their fav series over the net through streaming.

Stargate is probably close to 2x more popular than just the ratings of who watches it in the US on SciFi show, you have to factor in the rest of the world to realise just how popular it is. For example I can basically go onto any forum I visit in various areas of life or any game that I play and instantly find someone who likes and watch Stargate. The fanbase really is huge and vast.

Comment

Indeed, 2/5 times when I said "I'm gonnsa watch SG" the reply was "wth is it on now I'm missing the beginning, cya!"

Well it was "hey I watch it too" but that sounded better

Comment

I wonder when we will get the numbers.?

Comment

Don't think they work in weekends

Comment

Originally posted by SMEAGOL2
                                I wonder when we will get the numbers.?
                                From "Insiders"? Probably in a couple days or so. Someone will post them once they're out somewhere.
                                sigpic
                                "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Working...
                                X