know your Asgard Ships...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JernejL
    the problem with o'neil ship scale in the fight scene is not that the ship was made smaller.. it is just that OUR SHIPS have grown.. prometheus was SMALL SHIP... we only saw o'neill compared with the prometheus.. the korolev, oddisey and deadalus are actually much BIGGER than the prometheus...

in the fight scene you can see the korolev and ha'tak both onscreen... ha'tak is 1/8 of the korolev mass, the korolev is 3 times bigger in height than the ha'tak...
    The Daedalus, Korelev, and Odyssey are not that big. Their designs are based on the Prometheus, the only difference is that they were built with more alien technology so they can't be that much bigger than the Prometheus. They carry 16 F-302's, the Prometheus carried 8. The Daedalus could only hold something like 400 people in addition to its crew, Ha'taks carry thousands of Jaffas. Ha'taks also carry dozens of gliders.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo-DR
      I refuse to believe that an Asgard ship was so easily cut to shreds by the Ori. no matter how powerful they are, the Asgard are smart enough to run away if they need to.

My guess would be that Kvasir was still on Daedalus when the battle began and never transported back to the Asgard ship, and the Asgard onboard the Oneill abandoned the site when it was clear they couldn't win against 4 Ori ships. I bet 4v4 they would put up a very good fight against those jerktards.
      How can you refuse to believe it, the Ori tech was built with Ascended knowledge, while the Asgard have admitted that they haven't even begun to scratch the surface of a pre-ascended Alterra database.

Granted, being that the Alterrans were gone for 1000's/100,000's years, then it's likely that they have gained an advantage of Ancient tech in some areas like beaming tech etc.

In 'New Order' they couldn't do anything up to that point, yet O'neill with ancient knowledge designed a weapon in a matter of mins/hours. Compare that to Ori knowledge which is most likely a step up again & I'm sure you'll begin to get the picture.

Isn't this what they want, a villan that seemingly nobody can do anything about. A fleet of Ha'taks, Tau'ri 304's, plus the most powerful ship in multiple galaxies can't even scratch them.

What kind of enemy would they be, had they sent an O'neill class, which had managed to seriously damage, even destroy 1. They would seem far less invincible then wouldn't they? Especially since all that would need to be done then, is stop the super gate, which blocks new Ori ships from coming through. Then have the Asgard send a fleet of O'neill class warships & BAAMMM there you have it, the Ori are gone! Sorry never going to happen!

The Asgard have some cool tech, like fast ass drives, beaming tech etc (which even Asgard can't beam through shields etc). So while they may be able to take on Goa'uld etc, they couldn't handle the Reps & they certainly ain't going to be able to handle Ori ships, that I feel I need to remind some people was constructed using Ascended Knowledge. The Asgard could send a fleet against 1 Ori ship & even then, they'd probably only be able to scrape a little paint off the sides of it.

The Asgard ships can't compare, O'neill class ships can't compare. Nothing bar a fully working Aurora class warship loaded with Drones will do anything against them. The Ori will be about for a few seasons yet, so their ships ain't going to be outfought by anyone. What they might be able to do is sneak tech on board etc to blow the crap out of them from inside. The key to eventually defeating the Ori won't be Asgard, it will be Alterran/Lantean=Ancient.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead
        The Daedalus, Korelev, and Odyssey are not that big. Their designs are based on the Prometheus, the only difference is that they were built with more alien technology so they can't be that much bigger than the Prometheus. They carry 16 F-302's, the Prometheus carried 8. The Daedalus could only hold something like 400 people in addition to its crew, Ha'taks carry thousands of Jaffas. Ha'taks also carry dozens of gliders.
        Goa'uld life support and service systems are probably much more advanced than human systems. For just the same range as the BC-303: With twice as many F-302s, you need twice as many pilots, more than twice as much air, more than twice as much food, much more logistics personal and equipment, twice as much amunition, twice as much fuel for the 302s, more than twice as much fuel for carring the additional mass. Then there are the additional scientific and longer-range capacities of the BC-304s. The Prometheus needed preparation to make the 2+ week journey to Pegasus. The Daedalus, OTOH, was designed to make the journey. Not to mention resupplying Atlantis for over a month at least each time. The BC-304 is essencially a large supply ship with weapons. It makes sense for it to be much bigger.

Comment

Season 9's camelot its a science vessel... WATCH THE EPISODE! your paying to much attention to detail and not enough to fact.. THEY SAID SCIENCE VESSLE!
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

The Asgard ship in camolot was an ONIEL ClASS WARSHIP. there is no other ship it could be, i dont care what gateworld said, they are wrong, it IS an oniel class warship because there is no other ship is could be.
            Gateworld is not a Sg bible, its close but they got that little bit totally and completely wrong. And while we are at it, so did the graphics team in the scaling department. The oniel should have been giant compared to every other ship in the battle, including the ori ships, the driector just made it loko the same size as the rest for simple dramatic effect. The oniel should be 10x the size of the hatak and 20x the size of the deadali's...
            AND IT IS AN ONIEL CLASS!
            sigpic
            You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
            Stargate : Genesis |
            Original Starship DesignThread
            Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
            11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Hunter
              Isn't this what they want, a villan that seemingly nobody can do anything about. A fleet of Ha'taks, Tau'ri 304's, plus the most powerful ship in multiple galaxies can't even scratch them.
              The bad guys don't have to be invincible. The best example is the original War of the Worlds novel by H G Wells, where the British Army and Navy manage to destroy a few Martian war machines but still end up losing just because the aliens had better tech. So what happens is the humans get a bit of hope occasionally, and then are even more devastated when the remaining Martians just turn around and lay waste to their last great hope.

Likewise, it would be okay if maybe a group of three or four Asgard vessels could take out one Ori vessel, but then the others would come back and waste them.

A sci-fi/steampunk/fantasy novel... with color pictures!
              My Blog

“This summer on Sci-Fi... as part of our five year mission to find the lowest common denominator, we bring you… Extreme Psychic Reality Makeover…!"

Comment

Maybe this comparison thread was useful if the TS would actually post a pic from Camelot as well since my memory isn't that good.

Comment

Originally posted by Metonic
                  Season 9's camelot its a science vessel... WATCH THE EPISODE! your paying to much attention to detail and not enough to fact.. THEY SAID SCIENCE VESSLE!
                  Are you at it again! You done this in another post in S3 of Atlantis about the Wraith Lantean war supposedly lasting for 1000's of years. When it's been stated that it was fought for 100 years.

The fact is that they didn't say anything what your suggesting. The fact is they said no such thing.

You want facts, the fact is that we know there is only 3 types of Asgard ship currently. Beliskner, which is no longer used. Daniel Jackson class, which is a science ship & O'neill class that is a warship.

It sure as heck ain't a DJ or Beliskner class. If you watch 'New Order', 'Small Victories' & 'Revelations'. Then compare that to what was seen in 'Camelot' (Below), then I think it's quite clear that it was an O'neill class warship.

Comment

Is it just me but I watched all the episodes and I can't remember the Asgard ever saying they named the "class" of warships as the "Daniel Jackson class" or the "O'neill class".

I remeber them saying this is the "O'neill" intending they named 1 ship after him kinda like giving a boat a name. Same for the Daniel Jackson. Am I wrong? if so where does it say it at?

Comment

Originally posted by Sheppard
                      yeah kvasir's ship was definently destroyed and thats why he is on the oddesy
                      No fraking chance. His ship was making evasive maneuvers, it took far less hits than did ours. You're suggesting that an asgard ships shield would be weaker than the ones they provided us with? I don't think so.

Best Stargate quote:
                      Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                      Green is your friend.

Comment

It's still a science vessel so it would make sense

Anyway if you compare the pics from Camelot and the source pics, the Camelot one has a darker color, and the top of the backside is all smooth, instead of those BSG-like hull on the back of it in the source pic. And the cannons stick out a bit more I think.

So it's definately not a DJ but if it's an O'neill?

Comment

regardless of what the ship looks like it was explicitly said it was a science ship i don't care what it looks like unfortunately alot of things were messed in that episode like scaling why couldn't they have used the wrong CGI...and the asgard beamed onto the odessy before the battle to help carter dial into the supergate...
                          Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf
                            regardless of what the ship looks like it was explicitly said it was a science ship i don't care what it looks like unfortunately alot of things were messed in that episode like scaling why couldn't they have used the wrong CGI...and the asgard beamed onto the odessy before the battle to help carter dial into the supergate...
                            I don't remember them even mentioning what type of ship it was in the episode. You're just getting that from the episode guide from gateworld. Gateworld members write that stuff JTLYK.

Best Stargate quote:
                            Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                            Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch_Razor
                              It's still a science vessel so it would make sense

Anyway if you compare the pics from Camelot and the source pics, the Camelot one has a darker color, and the top of the backside is all smooth, instead of those BSG-like hull on the back of it in the source pic. And the cannons stick out a bit more I think.

So it's definately not a DJ but if it's an O'neill?
                              Colour can't even be considered to be taken into account for a number of reasons. The most obvious is the screencaps, could easily account for that because of the users different settings on the computers etc.

Then comes the other possible reasons, the ship in camelot could have been 1 that's been invloved in conflicts with the Reps, compared to that of the shiny new 1 in SV. They could have found a better formula for the hull construction etc compared to that of when it was first put into service all those years ago.

However if you watch SV, Revelations & New Order. Then compare that to what was seen in Camelot, then nobody should even be doubting it.

It was an O'neill class ship, the Ori ships are far superior. This simply re-enforces the fact that of the Asgard can't do nothing against them, then they must be good.

Tech vs Tech won't win them the battle. It's basically back to the beginning where they used strategy & technique against the Goa'uld in the early seasons. No ships will take them on & beat them, so the way is to disable the ship from the inside out etc.

In the epsidoe it wasn't stated what it was. Simply someone here put that up wrongly. I can point you to more sites that say it was an O'neill class warship.

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf
                                regardless of what the ship looks like it was explicitly said it was a science ship i don't care what it looks like unfortunately alot of things were messed in that episode like scaling why couldn't they have used the wrong CGI...
                                Scaling was definately messed up. The official Stargate Magazine states that a Ha'tak is 650 meters in diameter and 315 meters in height, but in Camelot they're shown to be about half that size; about the same length as the Daedalus class should be.

The Asgard ship, if the script said is was supposed to be a science ship, should have been a Daniel Jackson class ship. But they used an O'Neill class model, which was scaled to be about the same size as the Odyssey and the shrunken Ha'taks.

So it's scaling problems as well as not knowing which model is the right one. The funny thing is, In the last interview with Brad Wright he said that entire sequence was done by their in-house effects team, which is apparently their first major sequence to do. I guess it wasn't too bad for their first time, but it definately wasn't perfect either.
                                Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Working...
                                X