Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did anyone consider that maybe they didn't care how fast they were going? Just like the replicators, the Ori are not in a rush for time because nothing they encounter can stop them, save perhaps accidently running into an Asgard fleet.

Remember Mitchell said that they wanted the word to get out about how powerful they were, they were probably waiting for word to reach Chulak so that they would encounter less resistance and make things easier.
    www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

The reason they might want the supergate to travel instead of hyperdrives is that it's much, much faster.

Was it just me, or did the hyperdrive effect look alot cooler for the Ori ships? Both while traveling in hyperspace, and when opening up a window.
      An all new Stargate spinoff presents

Stargate: The B Team

The galaxy just got a whoooole lot crazier!

Comment

I don't think the Ori need extremely fast hyperdrives, if they need to improve them, they can give the information to a Prior, or Adria can do it. The Ori, like the Ancient's, probably just have two types of hyperdrives, the Asgard only the one.

Comment

The answer to the question is simple.

The Ori were unable, or unwilling to transfer the technology for trans-galactic travel. My bet - the people of the planet were simply too far inferior in terms of technology to create the drive systems necessary. Just as likely - the Ori like the super-gate system - something for them which is more controllable perhaps.

In any case, it appears that the Ori motherships (yes, motherships) have the standard hyperdrives for galactic travel. I would also surmise this has to do with thier weapons systems. The 'stellar lance' probably takes such a massive energy requirement, that it makes trans-galactic travel improbable.

One major problem for me though.

When the original 'supergate' modules shot through the gate, they were able to fit through a stargate. IN the next shot, they were as wide as the standard cargo ship. Ok, I thought - they're transformers - more than meets the eye.

In the season finale last season, each segment of the supergate was about a 6th of the size of daedulus. Carter floats down the side channel to get to the gate crystals. She was substantially smaller than the segment of the gate. And it was too damned large to get through the gate. Now seriously - did the first gate create one 'semisupergate', and then that one had bigger pieces come through to make the 'supergate'?

Just my 2 cents worth.

Tech Junkie

Now, upgraded with 1 forum demerit point for the use of sarcasm.
          "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."

Ambassador Koch, Believers, 1.10 B5

Comment

Originally posted by Ace-Ventura
            Is it just me or Ori hyperdrive SUCKS? It took them about 30 minutes to reach Chulak. Asgard go through galaxies faster.

It was actually more like hours in the storyline, if you consider the fact that Carter was floating in space for a long time, etc.

Asgard hyperdrives are silly fast too. Nothing else comes close in any capacity. They could cross the (estimated) diameter of the entire universe in about a year if you run all the numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by OriWillKillUsAll
              It was actually more like hours in the storyline, if you consider the fact that Carter was floating in space for a long time, etc.

Asgard hyperdrives are silly fast too. Nothing else comes close in any capacity. They could cross the (estimated) diameter of the entire universe in about a year if you run all the numbers.
              Yep, its probably more like hours and not 30 minutes. Carter said she only had a couple hours of life support when she first made contact with the Odyssey after the battle. It is then probably several hours before Bratak arrives and almost kills Teal'c. Even by that time, the Ori are still in hyperspace (You can see the hyperspace window in the background in the following scenes). The battle at Chulak probably started as Bratak prepares to leave for Chulak. The thing is, Carter was almost out of air when Mitchell flew the Odyssey and picked her up, and by that time, the Ori was still on their way to Chulak.

So it probably took several hours. If the Ori's hyperspace was equal to that of the Asgard, they probably wouldn't have needed a supergate.
              http://www.bentsynapse.net/images/zidane_dethstar.gif
              If only we have Zidane on Stargate.....
              **Mentally replace that deathstar with an Ori ship**

Comment

Its not a matter of need. So much as a preference of travel. Think about it, they can literally send anything they like through that thing at a moments notice. But it would take a while, be it hours or weeks, to get here using hyperdrive. Therefore they probablyput less powerful hyperdrive on their ships so they could have room for more important things and allocate power to more important things.

Comment

The two most likelly anwers as I see them are that they were timing their arrival so Adria would be old enough to lead the fight and that Chulak was on the oposite side of the Galactic core.

This would force the ships to either go slower, or go around to avoid the extremelly massive stars and black holes in the core that would interfear with ftl travel.

Comment

Originally posted by techjunkie
                    The answer to the question is simple.

The Ori were unable, or unwilling to transfer the technology for trans-galactic travel. My bet - the people of the planet were simply too far inferior in terms of technology to create the drive systems necessary. Just as likely - the Ori like the super-gate system - something for them which is more controllable perhaps.

In any case, it appears that the Ori motherships (yes, motherships) have the standard hyperdrives for galactic travel. I would also surmise this has to do with thier weapons systems. The 'stellar lance' probably takes such a massive energy requirement, that it makes trans-galactic travel improbable.

One major problem for me though.

When the original 'supergate' modules shot through the gate, they were able to fit through a stargate. IN the next shot, they were as wide as the standard cargo ship. Ok, I thought - they're transformers - more than meets the eye.

In the season finale last season, each segment of the supergate was about a 6th of the size of daedulus. Carter floats down the side channel to get to the gate crystals. She was substantially smaller than the segment of the gate. And it was too damned large to get through the gate. Now seriously - did the first gate create one 'semisupergate', and then that one had bigger pieces come through to make the 'supergate'?

Just my 2 cents worth.

Tech Junkie
                    I agree with your sizing theory, but maybe they had the StarGate sized components and used more of them?

Also, W/ the SuperGate it's more secure, on the odd chance one of their ships were to be taken over, they wouldnt know where the Ori Galaxy (Or Galaxies) were, and thus making the DHD or equivilant unable to dial out to the other SuperGate (Maybe Carter's plan wouldnt have worked to begin with?) No chance of "Unbelievers" Becoming a threat to the Ori worshippers thus more security

DarkBlade
                    Last edited by DarkBlade; 17 July 2006, 02:07 PM.

Comment

we can't go to the Ori galaxy and attack their followers. Why? because the Ori can interact why lower plains and kill the attackers. The ancients killed the people of the world that Orlan helped remember?

Comment

Originally posted by cooky
                        The two most likelly anwers as I see them are that they were timing their arrival so Adria would be old enough to lead the fight and that Chulak was on the oposite side of the Galactic core.
                        I agree, that they wanted to give Adria enough time to grow, and be able to defend herself. Also, they could just simply not care about fast travel.

Comment

Originally posted by techjunkie
                          The second supergate is bigger then the first supergate.

Thanks to Captain Jake for the sig!

Comment

plus don't forget adria grew every few hours
                            A CORNERED FOX IS MORE DANGEROUS THAN A JACKAL!

Comment

Originally posted by Ace-Ventura
                              we can't go to the Ori galaxy and attack their followers. Why? because the Ori can interact why lower plains and kill the attackers. The ancients killed the people of the world that Orlan helped remember?
                              i thought that was because they had abused the tech that was given to them to be used for peace only, and then turned it on eachother?
                              SAVE SG-1
                              www.savestargatesg1.com

Proud Member of F.O.R.D.
                              Say No To The Six Month Hiatus

Comment

i would go with they have no need or dont want to go fast.

everything they have done so far seems to be well planned. if they had sent a fleet of warships first then what would make them any more belivable then the gould. they had to send the priors first, strat spreeding the word which sure is off topic but anyway

also the reason they may have paused is they are in a new galaxy they never new exsisted and has been hiden from them they had to get their bearings. it may have taken then a little while to scan or chart the galaxy to know where to go. as for why they went to chuluk i would like to know. seems like a significant place to go for anyone in the galaxy but for someone new how did they know about it or even care about its significance?

and as for the supergate its self, they were damn big peices who says they even came through the gate? sure the gate on that planet may have been used to create a blackhole to power the gate but the segments may have been launched from the ori galaxy and used their own hyperdrives to get to ours.

basicly 1season and 1 ep in we know nothing about the ori and the majority of their tech or power sources. ask again later when we know more

Comment

Working...
                                X