Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latin Phrases Uttered By The Prior And Their Translation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OutThere
    Okay. Just seems odd because Latin is just one branch in a whole family of related languages called Indo-European, that includes such diverse languages as Celtic, German (English belongs to the same Germanic branch of Indo-European as German), Latin, Iranian, Hittite (dead language), and Sanskrit (dead language). I was just wondering if there was a good story behind it, or if it is one of those "just because" things that one shouldn't think too much about.
    Yes, it is slightly odd, but I think it's one of the "just because" things.
    Such a shame that I wouldn't know by now your revelations
    Cut me in, I don't wanna live without your revelations.
    -Audioslave

Comment

i tried to figure the latin phrases like that:
      "calium videri esset" - she will be showed to all

"et terrarius et sidera toleret vultus'- the stars and earth favour her face
      "ex uno discent omnes"- From one all will learn.

And i have a question. Tomin does indeed say "from one all will learn?" or something else?

Comment

if we let alone the latine phrase thing there are some points in the episode where the characters do not express themselves coherently. There are several situations.

1) When the Korolev female officer notices a flaw in the Ori shields she shays:"Sir, sensors are indicating inside energy fluctuation in their shields....??????." What she said subsequently (she mentione "all weapons fire") remains a puzzle implying that the ori shields were actually weakening as the intensity of the gunfire increased.

2) In that very same scene, colonel Chekov ask Daniel how to lock on coordinates on the transport rings. Daniel mumbles something quickly ending with "it's worth a try"?

3) Colonel Landry, on metioning the politicians' salaries, makes an unclear remark to the guy in front of him. "I'm sorry. Did i say I...?????" I somehow missed the point of the joke if it was any.(i suppose it was judging from the guy's countenance)

Comment

Originally posted by Squalll
          3) Colonel Landry, on metioning the politicians' salaries, makes an unclear remark to the guy in front of him. "I'm sorry. Did i say I...?????" I somehow missed the point of the joke if it was any.(i suppose it was judging from the guy's countenance)

He sais "Did i say that out loud?"

Comment

ok, can you clear up the other points as well?

Comment

not really, didn't understood those myself.

Comment

Don't know if this will help much, but I found a Latin-English dictionary on the web a while back.

Here's the link:
                http://humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexis/Latin/

I'd take the time to do a translation, but I need to sleep.
                Mammals suck!

"Real men don't need inertia dampers."

Check out my GURPS campaign setting wiki, Islands of War!

Stop sending me friendship requests. I will deny them all, regardless of who they come from.

Comment

Originally posted by ascendedancient42
                  Don't know if this will help much, but I found a Latin-English dictionary on the web a while back.

Here's the link:
                  http://humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexis/Latin/

I'd take the time to do a translation, but I need to sleep.
                  I'd do a translation as well, but I don't know of any transcripts and I couldn't really understand what he was saying.
                  Such a shame that I wouldn't know by now your revelations
                  Cut me in, I don't wanna live without your revelations.
                  -Audioslave

Comment

still know clue yet of wheter the original latin words were?

Comment

if we let alone the latine phrase thing there are some points in the episode where the characters do not express themselves coherently. There are several situations.

1) When the Korolev female officer notices a flaw in the Ori shields she shays:"Sir, sensors are indicating inside energy fluctuation in their shields....??????." What she said subsequently (she mentione "all weapons fire") remains a puzzle implying that the ori shields were actually weakening as the intensity of the gunfire increased.

2) In that very same scene, colonel Chekov ask Daniel how to lock on coordinates on the transport rings. Daniel mumbles something quickly ending with "it's worth a try"?

1) the fluctuaction happened right before it fired the big gun, perhaps taking a litle energy from shields to power it, or perhaps shields were so strong they had to lower it to get their own weapons out..

2) Daniel mentions he can send a nuke thru by setting coordinates on the rings to the ori ships(or it was switch a crystal to program it to go thru their shields like they had to do with anubis)

3) General Landry said that if he had the salaries of the politicians in his budget he'd... and then stopping insisting that he wouldnt have as many problems as the SGC has.. then saying Did i say that outloud as the common expression is when you intentionally say something outloud that points out a rude obvious fact. like screaming "its a fire truck!" at the fat girl with a sunburn, and then saying "oh crpa did i say that out loud, or that loud" lol... same stuff..

I heard it pretty clear.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

1 - answer)
                        Spoiler:
                        She's refering that the Ori's shields appears to have some sort of fluctuation following the main weapons firing. The energy released operates on a number of 'levels' disrupting the conhesive energy fields - in english - they 'think' there might be a whole in the shields they can beam through.

2 - answer) After the answer in #1 -
                        Spoiler:
                        the Odyssey reports having no effect with beamin attempts - Daniel suggest trying to 'ring over' because the matter stream may be able to 'punch through' - as opposed to energy beaming through. The general orders a warhead beamed to the ring room - where daniel attempts to ring over the warhead. You know the result of that.

Tech Junkie

Now, upgraded with 1 forum demerit point for the use of sarcasm.
                        "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."

Ambassador Koch, Believers, 1.10 B5

Comment

While I have no idea what the Prior was saying in "Flesh and Blood", it sure did sound pretty cool.
                          sigpic
                          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                          "...phu...ah..."
                          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

well, it's pretty cool alright. that is what he actually said:

"caelum videri esset et terra rus ad sidera tollere voltus. ex uno discent omnes"

Comment

well, it's pretty cool alright. that is what he actually said:

"Caelum videri esset et terra rus ad sidera tollere voltus. ex uno discent omnes"
                              "Ex uno, discent omnes", Tomin already gave. "From one, all will learn."

(though I've got to say, listening to it over again, what the prior says sounds more like distra than discent)

caelum=sky (sg. nom. or acc. case)
                              videri=to be seen
                              esset=3rd person imperfect passive subjunctiveform of "to be"
                              et=and
                              terra=land
                              rus=country sg. nom or acc. case
                              ad sidera=towards the starry/of the stars/gleaming (pl adj)
                              tollere=to be raised (infinitive)
                              voltus=archaic form of vultus, "face" sg. nom.

"Caelum videri esset et terra rus ad sidera tollere voltus."

My stab at it? the "esset" is used to express a past optative statement incapable of fulfillment.

"If only the sky was being seen and the country land, (its) face, was raised to the stars."

The prior wishes the people of Tomin's homeworld could see the birth of this Ori child?

Oh well, someone will straighten this out, my latin is rusty

Comment

I think that is not really the proper translation.
                                Maybe it is: If only the sky was seen and the country and land raised its head to the stars.

I am not really sure, but it seems clearer than the other one. Because tollere can also be tollerunt as a short form, and because this is plural you need two subjects.
                                Last edited by TheNarims; 22 November 2006, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X