Season 10 - Promotional Photography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michelle05
    Amen to that. And, the SGA ones are actually 3-dimensional looking!

Geez, I know it's a nightmare to schedule these photo sessions, but I wish they'd do them over with real props and natural images

I saw shadows in those.

Comment

I agree with ShardsofGlass I think it was a deliberate choice to make the shots stylised. It don't think it had anything to do with budget, because the post work on these shots would have cost a fortune.

I just think they were trying to stylise the shots a bit, update them. Whether or not they worked to everyone satisfaction I have to say as a whole I like them. They're HOT.

But Claudia, you're gorgeous, but that shade of green just doesn't suit.

And incidently, I think they were using defused lighting which would account for the seeming lack of shadows.
      Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by ShardsofGlass
        I see the airbrushing as an artistic choice to give the pictures a very stylized look. IMO, they aren't supposed to look totally natural. I think they look very nice, and I like them a lot better than last year's. And no, I'm not an oldie, for whoever said that. LOL
        Airbrushing faces is fine for fashion models where perfection is demanded, but for actors, it's unrealistic. They're not going to look like that on the series, or in other shots. The sandblasting <G> they did on the SG1 folk reminded me a photo of Ed Harris for a movie - they did the same thing to him and I didn't even recognize his picture. Photoshop the stylized unobtainable fashion models all you want, but please leave the actors alone! (not that TPTB are gonna read this, but just in case...)

Comment

I'm liking the new pics myself!

Comment

Yikes.

Some of the shots are fine, while others are awkward. I expect a certain level of photoshopping to clean things up, but this is going so far it's cartoonish.

Looks like Atlantis has the better batch this year.

Comment

I don't think it's been designed to look stylised otherwise they wouldn't have gone for an (almost) realistic background. Looks like some poor sod had to use photoshop with a mouse.
              The cynic in me says they are trying to make the actors look younger. Noticably MS is nearly un-touched. Unfortunate for CB they've decided that even though she's in her early 30s she needs to look much younger (pigtails?!). Shame that in the process they've managed to bland her up and lose what makes her look striking.

Comment

wow - all I can say is in 10 years this is the worst quality in a set of promo shots ever (oh well guess it goes with the pattern of the show).

Comment

I think the Amanda/Claudia, Claudia/Ben and Amanda/Ben ones looked the best. The others had some issues lol. But I didnt' think they were that bad overall.

Comment

Originally posted by prion
                    The airbrushing was done with a broom! An industrial broom! Overkill. When I saw Claudia Black, Iwent, geez, what the heck did they do to the poor woman?
                    I must agree with Prion. I do PS retouching for a living every single day and IMO it was WAAAY overdone in these pics. It may have been a stylistic choice to let the clothes and hair have texture, depth and shadow and remove them from the facial features, but I wouldn't call it a good one. IMO it's just heavy-handed overkill, and completely unnecessary to go so far, it just makes them all look like plastic Barbie dolls. I feel sorry for the actors! I understand that many of you may not care about this, but to a professional it's completely laughable.

And I think Daniel's new glasses are absolutely horrible for the shape of his face. Sam's shots come out the best, the photographer must love her. I like that they used casual clothing, although I fear for some of the choices.

All just my opinion, of course. YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by Seshat
                      I must agree with Prion. I do PS retouching for a living every single day and IMO it was WAAAY overdone in these pics. It may have been a stylistic choice to let the clothes and hair have texture, depth and shadow and remove them from the facial features, but I wouldn't call it a good one. IMO it's just heavy-handed overkill, and completely unnecessary to go so far, it just makes them all look like plastic Barbie dolls. I feel sorry for the actors! I understand that many of you may not care about this, but to a professional it's completely laughable.

And I think Daniel's new glasses are absolutely horrible for the shape of his face. Sam's shots come out the best, the photographer must love her. I like that they used casual clothing, although I fear for some of the choices.

All just my opinion, of course. YMMV.
                      Same here. I live and die by Photoshop and can't imagine turning out product that looks that blatantly and painfully "re-touched."

Was it intentional? Like as in stylized? Because I hope they don't think we buy that as being au naturale.

Although I will add that a couple of the shots look more natural than others...so I don't get the need to smooth out their skin to the point of making it look like plastic.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by Zelda
                        Some people are never happy. I think these are really great cast photos. They all look hot!
                        I don't mean to seem ungrateful, really. I'm very glad to see the shots come out, and I do hope they're used for good publicity.

It's just the retouching is so over-the-top, it's almost an insult to the actors, as if they aren't good looking enough on their own, you know? I do like the photos in general but they just could have been post-processed a lot less, IMO. The Atlantis ones are not like this. It seems it was totally different staff doing the 2 sets.

I also wonder why there's no Daniel/Vala photo, yet there is a Farscape one

Comment

Ya know, I don't like the re-touching at all. But season 7 re-touching was so much more painful then this one... much more painful.

For me at any rate.
                          Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

SG-1:

SGA:

5th Season of Supernatural Premiering September 10th!
                            Spoiler:

Comment

The Atlantis one is definitly better- I love Tori's outfit and Hewlett and Flannigan both look great but I think that Rachel should wear something a little more natural, she's so pretty but the " we've got a hot alien chick" thing sort of ruins that.

Comment

Personally, I love the SG-1 photos. They all look great IMO. Especially AT.
                                sigpic
                                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                                "...phu...ah..."
                                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Working...
                                X