Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First details on SG-1's 'The Shroud' (SPOILERS)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh...my... ... ... ... ..!

Originally posted by nyxlily
    I don't know.. I understand how you guys feel.. and I know I don't want Daniel to stay evil or have his character permenately 'damanged' by this (though I personally would like to see a fallout on this, not just going back to the way it was with no reference to it happening in the future.. Smurf put it best: at least some residual emotional consequences is a must).
    Total agreement here. I am shocked, excited, and fearful: shocked that such a spoiler has been released, excited about the possibilities and fearful that it won't be fully explored and used.

But I think an 'undercover' job is such a cheap way out. It's been done. Multiple times across many many fandoms. Fanfictions done it to death. So, for me, being undercover is just so unoriginal (ha, though what IS original nowadays?). I want a little (or big) twist that I don't see coming.. and a reason as to how this happened shouldn't be so obvious and easy. That's just the way I feel..
    This I disagree with, at least in general. Yes, it would be boringly dull if Daniel is just 'faking' it for whatever reason - maybe to save the populous before a real prior comes to wipe them out - but is that even possible? Seriously? HOWEVER, if you add a nice unexpected twist, like Daniel going undercover for the Ancients (not Earth)... He becomes a Prior in everyway except a small core of 'self' that is protected and hidden by the Ancients. Remember that the real aim of the Ori in the MW is to destroy the Ancients. I can see Daniel 'volunteering' to help them learn everything he can about the enemy...

I also like the idea that only some with the power of a Prior can activate the sangraal which could well have been found and hidden in Celestis - in anycase, if it's in our galaxy it has to be transfered to the Ori Galaxy before it's activated or our Ancients will be destroyed as well (hmm... wonder if it can be limited to only a galaxy or if the effects would be wider?)

Enough babbling. This is a really daring move and I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually part of the season cliffhanger leading into either season 11 or the much hinted at Stargate SG-1 movie.

Comment

I have to say "wow" also, I really was not expecting this, after reading many disappointing spoilers, this one has the potential to be a fantastic storyline, I just hope they can do it justice.

I hope they can somehow coincide this storyline with Jack's second SG1 episode, which I believe is yet to be revealed?
      There could be some very interesting scenes between Jack and Daniel here
      I also hope they will eventually get the real Daniel back, I'm sure as always SG1 will find a way out of trouble.
      However I guess we don't know whether they intend to have this go for a few episodes or until the end of the season?

Whatever it's now given me a reason to look forward to at least some of season 10.

Thanks to Kidwizz for sig

Comment

Originally posted by Maj_Cliffhanger
        This is a really daring move and I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually part of the season cliffhanger leading into either season 11 or the much hinted at Stargate SG-1 movie.
        While it would be good if it was part of the season finale and led into season 11 - although I would be mightily p***** off if this happened and it didn't get renewed - I don't want it to lead into the movie. The movie should be SG-1 going out and kicking Ori/Goa'uld/Replicator/whoever butt as a team.

Comment

That's a really interesting idea, Maj Cliffhanger. Now I have to take back what I said I guess an undercover job for the Ancients themselves would be great.. if the great and powerful Ancients have to approach Daniel to help them out.. in a convoluted and roundabout way to stopping the Ori invasion.. and since the team is 'shocked' to see Daniel as a Prior, I suspect no part of him being a Prior as a plan or otherwise was discussed with them, or with the SGC. I just know that the undercover story has been done with Jack before (and like I said, across many fandoms) and I just want something unpredictable, some plot twist that I wouldn't see coming (and here I am reading spoilers.. someone stop me, point me to a support group or something!)

Grasshopper, thank you SO much for pointing out the Jack factor! If there's one person on Earth who can get through to Daniel, it's Jack. I would so love a scene (or two or three) of Priorized Daniel and Jack. I can see them bringing him in as a last resort in getting him back. I was excited before, but now I know I won't be able to stop thinking about this. Umm.. I sound a tad obsessive, don't I...

Comment

I'm also hoping that with the release of this spoiler and no other info whatsoever, it's not just hype so people will tune in and watch, then the ep or spoiler we got turns out to be something other than what was expected, or not that important at all. Why do I think this? As someone said earlier, there's no mention of Daniel being missing, captured etc, in this or any other spoilers. A lot of shows I watch have recently had the teasers air "don't miss this ep, shocking ep this week on.....blah blah blah..." and it turns out to be be nothing special.

Thanks Suekay for the sig!
            http://www.fanfiction.net/~gatergina71

Comment

Oh boy Daniel Jackson will die again. This hasn't been done before.

Can he stay dead for once?

Comment

Yes, today's my day off and I'm just sitting at a cafe passing the time (ie no life) and watching this thread like a hawk.. and I just had to respond to Ginalynn as what she said reminded me of the the 1980 BSG series.. where the promotion showed the cylons invading Earth and all these battles going on.. and when the show premiered, it turned out it was a 'simulation' of what could happen.. it was a HUGE letdown for fans.. well, at least that's what I read as I wasn't around back then..

Anyway, I hope it's not something like that.. like.. after the teaser.. the team confronts him.. and Daniel reveals that he wasn't really a prior but just in makeup

Comment

mky sig has said all i need to for months!
                  sigpic
                  You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                  Stargate : Genesis |
                  Original Starship DesignThread
                  Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                  11000! green me

Comment

If they had done something like this when the Goa'uld were the main enemies, (turning Daniel into a Goa'uld) I would have been really excited. And, hoping for some emotional fall out once he got de-Goa'ulded. But, I don't want Daniel to be doing that Ori stuff, which I HATE HATE HATE!!!!. I usually mute it when those priors start talking. I don't want to have to mute Daniel! But, if they have to do it, I really want some emotional fallout.

And, reading the thread, now I'm scared that he'll be a stinkin prior for the majority of the season and be separated from SG1 (I really hope whoever speculated on this being a way to make it a 4 person team is wrong, wrong, absolutely without a doubt wrong) for a long time.

But, if Daniel is coming across as benevolent and reasonable, then he's either undercover (although why would he take that route? It seems so unlike him, unless this is like Crusade with Vala -but then how did his eyes get that way?) or he's been brainwashed, only they can't fully take him over.

Since they're going to do this thing what I can think of to make it okay is if it lasts two (maybe three if they absolutely have to) episodes. SG1 fights him, manages to get him back, do a sort of human form malkshuran (I know I spelled that all wrong) like when Teal'c went back to Apophis. I don't care if it's been done before. And, if they did it right, a lot of angst for Daniel when he came to himself. Angst for probably being persuasive to a whole planet(s) to lead them to the Ori. And, making him want to fight that much more.

But, I fear that the angst, and more importantly the comfort (when he comes back to himself he'll be miserable) will be skimped on. Well, the misery might come, but tptb seem to be scared of comfort.

If he really (temporarily and not for long at all) a prior, maybe some of the Ancients help turn him back. We know they don't all believe in non interference, and Daniel was ascended, so he could be considered part of the club by some of those who think more like him. Maybe if they had some like Oma or Orlin.
                    Last edited by Dani347; 06 June 2006, 09:49 AM.
                    I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Don't want to make my other post too long, so I'll put it here. Okay, reading other places, someone mentioned Joe said you can't become a prior unwillingly. But, they said that he's a complete prior with the white hair and eyes (so, not only is he corrupted, they've taken his looks? Oh, this gets worse and worse), so he doesn't seem to be faking. Unless someone sells contacts and hair dye on whatever planet he's found. So, he must be one, and there's probably something that makes him choose. Unless I'm wrong about having to choose, or tptb have decided to rewrite that fact to suit their needs. But, if I'm right, it has to be something really really big. Torture? But, would he crack under torture? I mean, crack in a way that makes him want to be a stinking prior as an alternative. But, if they manage to brainwash him, then he wouldn't know what he was doing, but he could still make a choice. But, there's something in him that even if he thinks he's always been like this, he can't really change his fundamental character, it's just subverted.

And, other people have speculated that maybe it's really Adria. I don't know about that, but if it is, maybe real Daniel is trapped somewhere, deprived and tortured and after Adria is defeated, he needs to be rescued and comforted. But, that kind of messes with it being a controversial arc for Daniel, if it's Adria. Maybe one for MS.

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Comment

holy crapola is this the controversial daniel ep?

anyway this episode is gonna own!!!!!!

daniel a prior? i wonder how they priorized him.

hopefully the alterans will unpriorize him but leave his powers (lol)
                        A CORNERED FOX IS MORE DANGEROUS THAN A JACKAL!

Comment

I can see the Alterans fixing him. But, please, no powers. Reckoning was wonderful, but it was a once in a lifetime thing, or should be. I don't want Daniel to have to rely on supernatural powers to be important or worthy or meaningful.

Comment

This particular episode is happening in 2007 (second half of season), so it won't be for the majority of -this- season.. I understand where you're coming from, but if he's a real Prior, I'd rather that it last more than a couple of episodes as this is a MAJOR story/character development. Someone posted a speculation that it might relate to the season (hopefully not series) finale, so it -could- carry over on to the next season.. though for your sake, I hope not! What I want to carry over is the consequences of this arc.. and not glossed over like Sha're's death.

Comment

I think 3 episodes is a good sized arc for a major storyline. It's not the major arc, which is the fight against those blasted Ori, which needs to last (unfortunately) throughout the whole season. It's only a subsection of the arc, so I think 3 episodes can explore it, and then go into fixing it. And, the ramifications can still be felt after the actual "arc" is over. Especially if later on, Daniel visits a planet (as himself) where he had been a prior.

And, I don't want it lasting for the majority of the second half of the season. I don't want majority to be anywhere near this thing. Plus, I really don't want him evil at the end of the season. What if the show doesn't get renewed? I know tptb aren't worried about that anymore, but you never really know until the news is out and they actually say Stargate absolutely is coming back for another season.

Besides, if the whole thing is about him being a prior (I mean, if once he's not a prior that means the end of the arc) I feel that skimps out on the emotional aspect. I really hope the whole point isn't just to have him flinging the rest of SG1 backwards with his staff or anything like that. I think it should count as part of the arc after he gets de-priorized and realizes what's happened. So, he can be a prior for a few episodes and then the rest of the arc deals with him having to deal with it (and getting comforted) and going on with the fight. Maybe even having to be convinced to fight by the others. He could worry that if it happened once, it could happen again, and he's too dangerous to be going to other planets.

eta: I forgot why I came back to this thread. I know RDA is doing two episodes of SG1 this season. One is 200. Do we know what the other is? Maybe he'll be involved in this arc (not this episode) in some way to try to get Daniel back (emotionally). That's probably too much to hope for.
                              Last edited by Dani347; 06 June 2006, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Those are really good points.. and I completely agree with you in that I do NOT want the show to end with Daniel being evil. That would be a really disappointing ending and hopefully the writers realizes it. Like in Quantum Leap.. fans of the show will know what I'm refering to :/

I like the fact that this is an arc within an arc. Despite certain missgivings voiced by some, I have really high hopes for this episode.

Comment

Working...
                                X