Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First details on SG-1's 'The Shroud' (SPOILERS)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But, if the Ancients are evil -and I don't think they are- still, why would Daniel join the Ori? Why not just stay out of it or just continue to try and fight the Ori? It's not like the Ancients are doing anything to him or the rest of the galaxy. That's the whole point of their rules. They leave you alone. They don't try to make you worship them. No matter how disillusioned Daniel would be with them, I can't see why he would turn to the Ori. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

For it to make sense, to me, Daniel will have to believe the Ori are right. Because if he's trying to trick the Ori, the soft sell thing is blatantly dumb. You don't infiltrate a group and start messing with the principle ideas and attitudes and expect the members to not be a little suspicious. Going undercover means you're supposed to make them think you're one of them. Daniel is not a stupid man. So, it has to be real. And, I don't think he'd be convinced by some well spoken rhetoric, because he's set in his ways about the Ori. (this doesn't mean that other people can't be convinced by a good argument) I also don't think promises to him will help. Bringing Sha're back wouldn't do any good because Daniel in his right mind would reason that she'd just be coming back to be a slave to the Ori, and he wouldn't want that. He's not going to side with something (and I mean really side with, not just pretend to) that he feels is evil. So, he has to be made to believe they're not evil. And, the only way I can see that happening is if they break him. It's got to be something that trumps the whole murdering people. First, they have to break him to make his mind more subceptible to conditioning. Then, I could see the soft sell thing working. I mean, I could see Daniel doing it that way, without it seeming like him doing the poorest undercover job I've ever heard of. It could be maybe like the Ori not being able to change certain things about you. Or (and I'm not to crazy about this) the Ascended knowledge he has tucked away gives him the ability to not go totally over, although it can't stop him completely. Or, maybe this is planned by the Ori. They tell him to do it that way, for now. Ease the people in. But, later he'll do it the regular way. Maybe the Ori know the other members of SG1 are coming, and they want them to find out about Daniel becoming a prior, so they want to make it interesting. Why is this prior not following the usual M.O.? It's something to go check out. Why, it's Daniel! This may be too petty, but it could be a way to thumb their noses at SG1, who will have become a thorn in their side. So, what would it be like seeing Daniel so much like Daniel (except for the nasty makeover) but on their side. And, just knowing Daniel was one of them now could be satisfying. Plus, they could always send another prior along to do the usual way if Daniel's method doesn't work.
    I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by anonymous Ben
      Yeah, didn't see this one comin. Just hope they don't drop the ball and have it be a stand-alone episode where it gets wrapped up in an hour. Maybe he took a page out of Ba'al book and its a Dani clone... hah. Hopefully there's more to this episode than just trying to bring Jackson back to the side of good.
      No DaniClones. Sounds too much like a vacuum cleaner!

Comment

No more clones! Bah, that is so. . .like. . . YESTERDAY.

I'd like to see Oma involved somehow. Kinda miss the ole gal.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Suppose that an ascended being intervenes to depriorize Daniel. But everyone here has conjectured that it's Oma that does it. Now I have a far fetched proposal, but what if it isn't Oma or only Oma. What if Anubis is, partially or fully, Daniel's path to redemption and that the Ba'al of season 10 is a foreshadowing of the Anubis of season 10.

Comment

Originally posted by DetriusXii
            Suppose that an ascended being intervenes to depriorize Daniel. But everyone here has conjectured that it's Oma that does it. Now I have a far fetched proposal, but what if it isn't Oma or only Oma. What if Anubis is, partially or fully, Daniel's path to redemption and that the Ba'al of season 10 is a foreshadowing of the Anubis of season 10.
            Would be interesting to see Oma and Anubis put aside their personal eternal struggle to help stop the Ori.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Oh my!!!
              Aside from reading about when and where Adria came from, I've been avoiding reading the previews and spoilers and running commentaries... until I saw this topic!

I like some of the ideas - that maybe it's Adria behind all this.
              Vala rescuing Daniel sounds interesting, too!

I also like the idea of Daniel working undercover - getting on the inside of the entire Ori/Prior program, for greater purposes... But can he actually *fool* the Ori? Afterall, the Ori are so all knowing that they didn't know about earth and the milk way galaxy, until Daniel showed up and sought to speak to them. And the Ori and Priors seem to have had a special interest in Daniel for a long time. I do hope it'll be worth investing time and effort into.

So, can he truly shield his mind enough to hide his true motives, if his goal is to seek out their weaknesses and exploit it/them later?

Personally, I'd prefer him to ascend and bust them BIG time, and fighting - preferably along with Skaara and the rest of the ascended gang! But if this is what it takes in getting to that other point, may it be well worth the wait. Dang, I like the fancy wardrobe, but hate the *Prior* make-up jobs... poor Daniel!

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa

So, can he truly shield his mind enough to hide his true motives, if his goal is to seek out their weaknesses and exploit it/them later?
                Not if he's apparently doing the poorest job of being a real prior. It seems he failed prior 101.

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Comment

I know we've pretty much went through all possible (and some pretty far out) ideas.. and I'm absolutely loving it! I just need my Daniel fix, I guess. I was just thinking what the worst possible scenario for me would be.. and I just have to go with the Priorized Daniel being a clone. When the team finds out, the clone would just be another bad guy that needs to be eliminated. There would hardly be a conflict compared to saving a real Daniel.

Anyway, anyone else want to share your nightmare version of how this episode would play out?

Comment

Originally posted by nyxlily
                    Anyway, anyone else want to share your nightmare version of how this episode would play out?
                    My nightmare version? Well, since this will probably be an arc, not just one ep, my nightmare would be Daniel stuck like that forever. Or having to be killed by SG-1. Truthfully though, I just can't see that happening. I truly believe, sooner or later, SG-1 will be able to save Daniel and at least mostly return him to normal. However, I really do think this will have lasting effects on him for the rest of the series.
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

But, hopefully not so changed that he's not Daniel anymore. And, I mean, the things that make Daniel, Daniel.

My nightmare versions are pretty much the same. He stays a prior, he's the enemy forever, someone gets the crazy idea that character growth means stripping all his humanity and goodness and desire to help people forever and ever. Again, Joe said. He'd better be telling the truth. Or that he suffers and they skip out on the natural emotions and reactions that any good friends would have towards him. If the resolution of all this is a "funny" quip or scene or some big CGI battle, that doesn't deal with the emotional component that has to be a factor, I will not like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
                        But, hopefully not so changed that he's not Daniel anymore. And, I mean, the things that make Daniel, Daniel.
                        I think Daniel will still be the Daniel we have known, for the most part when this is all over. But, I just have a feeling he may have to cope with what he did as a Prior. Especially if he ends up killing anyone from the SGC or another world.
                        sigpic
                        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                        "...phu...ah..."
                        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I'm more than cool with him having to cope with having done something terrible. Coping means angst, it's a sign of humanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Technician
                            Well this is controversial.

Alternately, perhaps both sides are equally evil. Maybe the Ancients are no better than the Ori, in that they, too, feed off their worshippers, rather than helping them to ascend? So far the only Ancient we've seen that helped anyone to ascend was Oma Desala. Maybe the other Ancients don't want to help people to ascend for the same reasons as the Ori? Perhaps the shock of such a revelation about the Ancients might cause Daniel to join their enemies, as equally evil as they are.
                            Mmm... not really buying it. If both sides are evil, most chances are that Daniel would choose to go against both sides - and at any rate, not side with the side that actually kills people. Back to the endless Ancients\Orii - Shadows\Vorlons comparisment, back in B5 they turned to fight both sides when the Vorlons went mad. That's the only way it would make sense.

Pretty much what you said - it being a clone/ Adria. They already did the clone bit with RepliCarter. It's much cooler when it's Daniel himself, when these are the choices Daniel has to make, and deal with the consequences later (and oh, I'm all for it, especially if someone from the SGC dies in the process.)
                            Or, also been said, it really being Daniel and they brush the whole thing afterwards.
                            Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                            Yes, I am!
                            sigpic
                            Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                            Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                            Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by nyxlily
                              I know we've pretty much went through all possible (and some pretty far out) ideas.. and I'm absolutely loving it! I just need my Daniel fix, I guess. I was just thinking what the worst possible scenario for me would be.. and I just have to go with the Priorized Daniel being a clone. When the team finds out, the clone would just be another bad guy that needs to be eliminated. There would hardly be a conflict compared to saving a real Daniel.

Clone probably wouldnt be my nightmare situation, but I think it would be disappointing.....rather boring.
                              Nightmare would have to be if Daniel actually became bad and maybe joined forces with Adria and became the new evil to destroy. That would just be awful. It would totally betray the character. Im sure this wont happen though, I cant imagine they would do that to Daniel.

I think the Prior is going to be the real Daniel. How and why ? Im dying to know. Whatever he is doing and his reasons behind it , I believe, will be typical of Daniel in that they are for the greater good and totally selfless.
                              Attached Files
                              Please check out my Doctor Who forum at http://tardistales.proboards100.com/index.cgi

There are boards for the classic series and new series and much more.

Comment

Originally posted by JaneC
                                Clone probably wouldnt be my nightmare situation, but I think it would be disappointing.....rather boring.
                                Nightmare would have to be if Daniel actually became bad and maybe joined forces with Adria and became the new evil to destroy. That would just be awful. It would totally betray the character. Im sure this wont happen though, I cant imagine they would do that to Daniel.

I think the Prior is going to be the real Daniel. How and why ? Im dying to know. Whatever he is doing and his reasons behind it , I believe, will be typical of Daniel in that they are for the greater good and totally selfless.
                                Hi guys,

Haven't been on for a while for various reasons, mainly lack of Internet connection at home so I 'sneak' a look at work every so often (don't wanna push my luck!)

Well when I read the spoiler I was somewhat disturbed, being a complete Daniel obbssesive and all. I did like the idea of the 'contravesrial Daniel arc' invloving him going 'dark side', and guess this is as good as any. But hey, I'm shallow, I like to see my Danny looking lovely. But from hopefully a slightly more intellectual (ha ha) POV. I'd like to add my views to the many that have already been stated.

Well, here goes:

IMO The ONLY way Daniel would voluntarily become a true prior is if the Ori held something over him so massive it would hold galatic if not universal implications, he certainly wouldn't do it for some selfish reason, that's just not him, I mean this is the guy who deliberately exposed himself to a lethal dose of radiation, knowing he'd suffer a horrifically painful death just to save a planet full of idiots. For him to become a prior he'd have to truly belive that he was doing it for the greater good.

The fact that he's trying to convert using the 'soft cell' method inidcates that, as in the case of Garak, the priorised person does retain some of their core personality, but it will be interesting to see how he deals with people who just say no. Because, we've already seen that the Ori deal very harshly with those who do not fulfil their role as a prior (Garak busrting in to flame for example), and if they did that to Danny and Oma asceded him that would be such a cop out. If the idea is that Daniel feels he can lessen the subjugation of those who follow the Ori from the inside, well being incinerated would quickly scupper that plan, unless he knows that being killed while priorised would take him to a level if ascension that would enable hom to deal with the Ori on a level playing field, but Daniel becoming an all powerful being would again be a cop out, (part of the appeal of Stargate is the idea of a bunch of normal (and I use the term in it's loosest context :-) people taking on almost impossible odds and succeeding with sheer guts, determination and the unswerving conviction that they are doing the right thing). So, if the core personality remains, that would mean that if Daniel was forced to commit atricities in his role as a prior, and I can't see that the Ori would accept anything less, if he was returned to normal (please that they do), that would leave some pretty devastating emotional scars.

I must admit I love it when Danny goes 'dark side' (Absolute Power, even though it was a dream, for example.) But I sincerely hope it's not permenent or heralding the departure of the character of Daniel Jackson from the show. Cliched though it may be Jack and Daniel were, and still are my two fave characters, and I miss the J & D interactions like crazy. So, when they do bring Danny back to the 'light side of the force' I do hope Jack's there to help pick up the pieces (assuming TPTB remember that Daniel is a caring sensitive soul who will be screwed up by what happened). That's assuming they don't 'cop out' and give him a convenient bout of amnsesia, or it was a clone, or a 'surgically altered' prior being used to play mind games with SG1 and the SGC.

Anyway campers, that my two pennies worth, sorry it's a bit rambly, but I hope I got my humble views across.

'Hallowed is the Wonder That is Daniel'

Comment

Working...
                                X