Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will stay on for both shows until they wrap up, if TPTB continue along the same lines that they are now. I don't mind any of the major changes that have been made to characters/story arcs on both Atlantis and SG1 - maybe it wasn't so smart of them to do so many in S2 of SGA and S9 of SG1, which were airing pretty much at the same time, but they did it and its done. I also think, in all honestly, that the changes brings a new sense of freshness and continuality to SG1, and also deal with a couple of issues in Atlantis that were starting to get at me.

But there are A LOT of people who don't like the way one or both shows are going, don't like change being forced upon them, don't like change, period! They'll either get through this or change to some other show - but not me, I think unless something drastically bad happens and TPTB drop the ball, I'm there to the finales

Capt

Comment

I agree that RDA was getting seriously bored and that it showed, however, I think that they took him out way to suddenly. I mean, get rid of an old regular and add in THREE new ones and Vala all at the same time... it's a bit rough on the fans >__<

And it's true that they tried to fit years of developpement into one season, I think that's Atlantis' failing as well and why after only two seasons they have to come up with a new villain. They went too fast with the Wraith, as they are doing with the Ori. The Goa'uld were nowhere near as cool and scary as either yet they lasted for YEARS! I want that back more than anything else. The slow developing of the plot.

And I don't like Cam >.< He's funny and cute and everything but he's otherwise kinda 2D. I know, we can't know all about him from the beginning ( and I wouldn't want to) I just don't percieve there is more to him than to bring back something akin to Jack but not quite Jack. He's the funny man as Jack was as well as the military minded guy and quite obviously being made the hero. He shows up and suddenly everything's about him... It just gets on my nerves... Even when Jack was around and quite obviously the hero there was still plenty for the others.
      May our transmatter beams cross again...

Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

"Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "

Comment

But yeah...I'll probably still be watching by season 20 And maybe when I'm a little old lady I'll be watching a 3D version of "Stargate: The Next Generation" X-D
        May our transmatter beams cross again...

Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

"Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "

Comment

Originally posted by Harry the Hippo Gutterman
          The beautiful thing about stargate is it evolves. Some people are upset that RDA left the show. Sorry but I'm not. He lost interest in Season 6 and it showed through to season 7. Season 8 he was excellent in. I think it gave him new motivation on his character and added more realism. Forgive me for being blunt, but he's getting kind of old. In all reality would you be sending a 56 year old man into hardcore combat situations against Aliens as your point man? I wouldn't but maybe it's just me. Also I think Mitchell is a GREAT character. I Think people would have no problem with him if they had cast him as the lead in Atlantis, (I personally don't like Joe Flannigan he's just somewhat obnoxious to my eyes) but because he's replacing RDA he's having to take alot of Flak. The same situation happened with Jonas. Although I'm pleased DJ is back I think they pushed Jonas out the door too quickly. I really think he should have come back when the Orii originally arrived. The Tauri being the ones that defeated the Goa'uld and Jonas it would only be natural that Jonas would contact them.

Also everyone seems to forget that Jonas originally brought them the Naquadria, and helped save the World from Anubis twice.

P.S.

Anyone else ever wonder what Cargo can fit in a Cargo ship??? Must take alot of trips or alot of ships to build a Hatak.
          I am not upset Jack left--nor do I mind change as long as they stay true to the TEAM which they have not.
          Jack to old? OK--they would not send out nor make a leader out of someone with zero off world experience.

They want a show with BB and CB and I think thats great--they really should have made one.
          IMO they will do well to just make S10 happen and they seem to have to bring back that "Old" fellow in order to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by kazzyk
            IMO they will do well to just make S10 happen and they seem to have to bring back that "Old" fellow in order to do so.
            Well, season 10 is happening, so they must be doing well .

Incidently, they are not bringing back Jack just to make sure season 10 runs to completion. They only wanted him for the 200th episode (and rightfully so, because I am sure those who are proposing the only reason Jack is returning is to pass on the torch would be having a fit if he wasn't returning at all), he offered to do a couple more.

Why would they knock that back?
            Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil

Incidently, they are not bringing back Jack just to make sure season 10 runs to completion. They only wanted him for the 200th episode (and rightfully so, because I am sure those who are proposing the only reason Jack is returning is to pass on the torch would be having a fit if he wasn't returning at all), he offered to do a couple more.

Exactly. Also if you go to RDA's website and read the forum there a little bit, you can find out that not only doing more episodes was RDA's idea, but he also doesn't want to tie "loose ends" too tightly to have open doors for future season(s) or features. He WANTED to come back to the show and managed to convince his daughter that daddy needs to work.

Comment

<sigh> More of the same lumping everyone who isn't jumping up and down yelling 'Woohoo! S9 is terrific!' into the same narrow camp. Not all of us are turning off our TV sets just because Jack has gone. But, of course, it's easier to dismiss us that way.

S9 for me isn't SG1. For a variety of reasons. Way too many to go into in a single post. But a few of them:

Huge drop in quality in writing/characterisations.

Less character driven, more silly blowing things up, shoot 'em ups

Too much reliance on the easy solution of spaceships and transporters to get the team out of danger/trouble

A new villain which is bland, boring, characterless and doesn't scare me in the slightest

Too much time spent on boring Jaffa politics

Mitchell being written clumsily and inconsistently, to the point where I gave up on trying to like him before midway through the season. And believe me, I really did try. I wanted to like him. But the juvenile way he's been presented just grates.

The sudden drop in 'realism' - a switch away from realistic action/decisions that their AF advisor would approve to the John Wayne School of Hollywood fighting, with ridiculous macho posturing and totally ludicrous shooting that wouldn't work in real life.

The sudden drop in weight, depth, gravitis in scripts/dialogue to more lightweight shoot 'em up, quip from the hip nonsense aimed to appeal to immature teen males.

Please note that none of the above has anything to do with Jack or his lack thereof.

I don't disagree that all shows change. Change in fact, can be a welcome shot in the arm for a show that's been going for 8 seasons. But I've been asked to accept way too much change all at once. Change that strips away everything that made SG1 unique for me, that made it something special and a cut above other run of the mill SF shows. That's my problem with S9 and the show now.

It wasn't TPTB's fault that RDA/Jack were missing from S9. That was something they couldn't help. However, it was their decision to make the entire show about Jack for the past eight years, to make him front and centre as the leading man and put so much of the focus on him week by week for eight years. Usually when a show does that and then loses their leading man, they make sure that they emphasise all the other elements in the show that the fans also love and watch for, so that that jolting loss is minimised and you don't have such a gaping hole left behind him.

What happened instead with SG1 is that TPTB seemed to feel they now had the opportunity to ditch everything else that made SG1 unique overboard along with Jack. A very, very bad move if they wanted to keep their core audience.

It would have been way more honest for TPTB to have marketed S9 as a brand new show - the Stargate Command they apparently intended to call it at one point - because SG1 it ain't. It's become a parody. A farce.

And my main regret is that it was completely unnecessary. With a bit of thought and consideration they could have moved on without Jack in a way that still held true to SG1. Instead, they warped it into something new, something bizarre that bears no relation to the show I adored.

Albion
                Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Man, I can't wait for more seasons. I've enjoyed Season 9 even more than many of the past seasons. It's right up there as one of my favorites. I LOVE the fact we get to see so much more of the Jaffa now. And the Ori and their soldiers are so much more dangerous than the Jaffa and the snakeheads...So many more character and story dynamics going on than EVER before. =)
                  It feels good to be alive.
                  Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

I'll be watching this show until it's no longer on the air. Personally, I think it seems to just get better and better.
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I'll be watching forever, usually sci-fi shows need a season to get their bearings with characters, story, villains etc., and I think they did a really good job of that in season nine, I am very impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
                        I'll be watching this show until it's no longer on the air. Personally, I think it seems to just get better and better.
                        Cheers! My thoughts exactly

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil

I am willing to bet S10 is the last.

Comment

I'll be gald to watch the show to season 16 and beyond
                            Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

Originally posted by kazzyk
                              I am willing to bet S10 is the last.
                              Personally, I disagree. I think this show has the potential for several more seasons, at least. But, that's just my opinion.
                              sigpic
                              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                              "...phu...ah..."
                              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I personally was willing to be Season 8 was the last - and we have 2 more season above and beyond what I expected.

They have plenty more room to explore, and more stories to tell. Granted, I can't see it going beyond an 11th; but I am not going to say 10 is the end, simply because I don't think it's likely.
                                Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Working...
                                X