Jonas Quinn ... gone for good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
    Since speculation about such things is strictly forbidden by the rules of Gateworld, it doesn't really matter, does it? He's gone, he isn't coming back and WHATEVER the reason it sure as hell isn't going to change the fact that I miss him and resent the very abrupt manner in which Jonas was written out.

I know Shadow. I miss him too. Would have loved to see how he reacted about Atlantis and all the mysteries there.

Comment

Originally posted by GateGipsy
      It was both. They brought in Jonas, and presumably Corin put his all into what he had to work with. But they never gave him a chance to prove either himself or the character. It was as if they were saying 'well if we can't have Daniel then we're not going to bother', and then as soon as they got Michael back that was it, goodbye Jonas. And the line we were given at the time was that it was a) budgetary. Couldn't fit in that many leads on the budget they had and b) Jonas and Daniel were too similar.

Now, I am not going to complain about getting Daniel back. I am just happy to see him back on the show.

But with reason a) well, now we're getting five leads in season 10, Daniel, Sam, Tealc, Cam, and Vala. and then with b) Jonas and Daniel shouldn't have been alike. Jonas should have been given storylines that suited his character not ones that made him repli-Daniel.

So yes, it does feel like the actor was treated shoddily.
      What the writers SHOULD have done is not what they did: you never kill off a character and introduce his replacement in the same episode. Bad form. You'd think they'd learn by now. Just antagonizes the fans and does zip for the new character.

The thing with Jonas is that yes, he was repli-Daniel. Did everything Daniel did, etc. What bugged me about him is here is someone who is now considered a traitor to his entire world, yet he doesn't seem to show one inkling of remorse or regret or misery or anything. He's too busy watching the weather channel, or eating. It's like the guy was on vacation! Sorry, but if anything, he should have had a brief period (even part of an episode) where he actually moped about and said "I'm never going home." You never really got the impression it bothered him. Bad writing.

Comment

Originally posted by prion
        What the writers SHOULD have done is not what they did: you never kill off a character and introduce his replacement in the same episode. Bad form. You'd think they'd learn by now. Just antagonizes the fans and does zip for the new character.

The thing with Jonas is that yes, he was repli-Daniel. Did everything Daniel did, etc. What bugged me about him is here is someone who is now considered a traitor to his entire world, yet he doesn't seem to show one inkling of remorse or regret or misery or anything. He's too busy watching the weather channel, or eating. It's like the guy was on vacation! Sorry, but if anything, he should have had a brief period (even part of an episode) where he actually moped about and said "I'm never going home." You never really got the impression it bothered him. Bad writing.
        If he moped for part of an episode there would be a fair number who would have called him selfish for only caring about himself.
        He did mention not being able to go home in Nightwalkers, and for the effect of not being able to go home you have to watch the acting (rather than the writing ) of Shadowplay.

On the other hand his lack of moping, and his up-beatness was a major personality trait. So I'd say, not quite a repli-Daniel.

Comment

I never really saw Jonas as being a copy of Daniel. I don't know, how would a person coming from a society that pretty much lacks aviation act when going though a Stargate for the first time. Pretty much in awe. Yeah, Daniel was in awe for a while, but that wore off when he lost Shar'e. Jonas seemed to try so hard to be accepted by everyone. He had to earn his place on the team, whereas today they skipped that and went with the Mary Sue approach. Who knows perhaps Jonas did go though some soul searching, he was stuck in the mountain for three months before we saw him again. He just seemed like such a great guy, it's a shame that they haven't brought him back. At least Corin seems to be doing okay, he's going to be in that movie Nice Guys.

Comment

Even them mentioning him occasionally would at least be something.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I've always seen Jonas and Daniel as two different people as well. I'd love to see him back and on the team - there was so much potential there.

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
                Yeah that would be nice wouldn't it? They mentioned Daniel enough during season six, and they've mentioned Jack a few times in season nine. Landry being on the phone with him here and there. Selmac got a mention in Ripple Effect, though they handled that character's death horribly. They really made Sam look like she didn't even care about her own father's death. At least blame her absence on having to go see her brother and his family to get her head and heart straighten out.

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
                  That'd be nice. Not much to ask.
                  Janna Galaxy, Queen of The Gods
                  The Strongest Will Survive!
                  I'll Be The One To Save Us All!

Comment

I see Jonas and Daniel as two very seperate, very different characters too. Which is why it bugged me so much when they kept feeding Jonas Daniel lines. It bugs me when they do it to Mitchell too (give him Jack lines).

I thought Meridian was a brilliant way to bring in a character. It set up, or at least it seemed to, a really angsty, dramatic storyline. Seeing how that panned out had me excited about Season 6 despite the absence of Daniel. Then they never followed it up. Indeed, the Jonas that was in the season opener seemed like a different person to the one in Meridian. Revelations I and II are episodes I've frequently rewatched, because the Sam and MacKay storyline is just so good.

No we can't speculate about what went on behind the scenes with the actors and the PTB. But I have heard a PTB on the show say, completely privately and off the record, that the removal of Jonas from the show was not due to Corin.

I don't just think that Corin was treated badly. I think that Michael has been treated badly too, and ditto Amanda and Chris.

Continuity has always been an aspect of Stargate that attracted me to the show. It seems to have more consistantly recurring characters than any other show. I know it isn't reasonable to expect actors to always be available, but everytime someone from the pentagon turned up in Season 9 and it wasn't Major Davis, it just felt plain wrong. Even the tech guys who hang around in the control room are familiar faces, many of them have been on the show for years.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by smurf
                      If he moped for part of an episode there would be a fair number who would have called him selfish for only caring about himself.
                      He did mention not being able to go home in Nightwalkers, and for the effect of not being able to go home you have to watch the acting (rather than the writing ) of Shadowplay.

On the other hand his lack of moping, and his up-beatness was a major personality trait. So I'd say, not quite a repli-Daniel.
                      Doesn't have to necessarily mope but at least reflect.... the writers honestly didn't give him Jonas a lot of depth. He reminded me of a stereotypical boy scout who knew it all, could do it all, and was always cheerful. (Sometimes people who are always cheerful no matter what CAN be annoying <G>). And yup, I did watch the acting

Comment

I am disappointed Joans won't apparently be heard from again, I was kinda hoping to see how Langara would handle an Orii incursion.

I also don't like the way they are treating the character as if he never existed, it demeans both Joans as a character & Corrin Nemec as an actor.

Looks like the TPTB need a lesson on how to treat their fans; & if this is the attitude TPTB treat the people whom have helped make their show so successful; then the show, IMHO, is not worth watching. Without us watching it, the show would be overe by nows & wouldn't have made them the millions of dollars they currently enjoy racking in every year in related merchandise sales, etc.

I am glad of the direction the show has taken, but let us not forget those people, the actors, the fans & the characters whom have helped & continue to make the show great.

Comment

Just for the record, in case they have a radically change-of-heart, I liked both Jonas and Corin Nemec, and opportunity is being missed for not bringing him back in the form of Cameron Mitchell. He read and practically memorized every mission report from SG-1; somewhere there's a story that can be told (within all this Ori/Wraith madness). You would think he would want to meet this "Jonas" person. It would be nice to have acknowledgment that he's alive and well on screen since we last saw him. I read an interview with him at Sci-Fi Wire, and he's doing a movie for the Sci-Fi Channel called "SS Doomtrooper". He apparently enjoyed working on this project.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...ory=0&id=35213

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius
                            Jonas who? Sorry, I've never heard of this Jonas or his people. Furthermore do I wish to point out we're only at season 9 next fall and not season 10. I don't understand where people get the strange idea we had a season with a person named Jonas Quin

[/end TPTB response]
                            I understood the first portion of your message until you added in the wink at the end.

Comment

They havent talked about cassie either! This is a deliberate attack by the writers against the fans!!!!

Hahahaha, kidding.

Does anyone else thing people are over reacting?

Comment

I hope he comes back, even for just one episode.

Comment

Working...
                                X