Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They want more power to wipe out the Ancients.
    *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
    *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
    *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
    *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
    *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
    *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
    *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

I don't think its just to destroy the ancients. Definitly not... though they may hate them...
      My name comes from a Greek word that means a supernatural being halfway between a god and a human being (but not a demi-god). Though I am also the master of magic. Therefore... Stargate rules!!!

Comment

It's actually quite simple:

- The ori needs more power to defeat the ancients..

Why? Well first of all the ancients dont needs followers to believe in them they have reached (what i think) a higher stage of evolution in ascending).

And as daniel said: I think the ori are a long way of posing the ancients any threat!

So what do you want to know more?

Comment

Speculation: They can't get enough of it.
          School is overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by DestroyAscendedBeings
            Im trying to look from an ascended ori view, why do i need more power if im infinte with unlimited power. They must have their goals and motives (even before they new about the milky way galaxy) they were still wanting power.
            So why does Bill Gates want more money? Let me tell you why. It's for the kicks, much like power, and power is the ultimate drug.
            So what is the next evolutionary step from ascention if their is one?
            The next step? That's a tough one. Could be many things: descension, fuel for the Daedalus, reincarnation, retirement. The question remains without an answer.
            School is overrated.

Comment

maybe the Ancients are at a higher plane of existence ( by slight margin ) over the Ori and are denying the Ori that knowledge of how to get there.

Ori figured/smuggled info that having more followers drains power granting them that higher plane of existence. But since Ancients oppose Ori joining their club, they want to get there and fight them out ?
              This'll mean -
              1. ori didn't lie when they said ancients don't give ascension knowledge out
              2. ancients are slightly more powerful than Ori, hence Ori need followers to get more powerful.

Comment

It could be that the Ori are at the same level of ascension as Anubis, who was always described as being partially ascended, or at some other level lower than where the Ancients are. Threads established that there are different levels of ascension.

I have been assuming that the Ori predate the Ancients, that the Ancients are heretics or rebels of the Ori. But what if the Ancients created the Ori? If in the past the Ancients helped others ascend and several of these people were megalomaniacs like Anubis and eventually became the Ori.

At some point the Ancients achieved a higher level of ascension which they were unwilling to share with the Ori. The Ancients also decided that they would not assist others to ascend, that only those who could ascend themselves were worthy. So the Ori created Origin to get some kind of power boost from their worshippers either to reach the next level or to destroy the Ancients.

My main problem with this scenario is that it seems the Ancients would have destroyed the Ori before they really became a threat. But they could have just ignored the problem until is was too late... like with the Wraith!!! Or maybe an ascended being cannot be destroyed, only cancelled like Oma did with Anubis.
                Last edited by FrizzleFry; 12 March 2006, 06:03 PM.

Comment

I think they still hold a grudge against the Alterans for leaving them behind and turning on them...I mean they had a war and the Ori won but the ancietns got away and then hid the existance of the children of the ancestors from them...i mean they seem to care about there mortla worshipers in a sense...if that makes sense, So there main goal is revenge they want to gain enough powere to wipe them out forever.

Atheists vs. Religous the religious almost wipe out atheism and the few who survive hide and "corrupt" others so they other side goes after them but the survivors get away they would feel cheated in there victory so they would hope to wipe out there enemy no matter the cost...So the Alterans cheat the ori in there victory and they are so wrathful of that, that they would abuse there creation to achieve a total victory

"Their victims knew no peace until the Ori came and whispered to them"Sleep for the end draws near"and on that day all will rejoice when the Ori come and lay them low. "

Comment

Have you not been watching the show at all this season?

They believe they should be worshipped by the lesser evolution of humans. The act of a person submitting their will to them allows the Ori to actually steal their life force (think Wraith for a very simple analogy), making them more powerful.

The Ancients believe the opposite, that the lesser evolution of humanity should not have any interference from the higher evolution. This was the main split between the two camps. The Ori declared holy war, and the Ancients fled.

We don't know who ascended first, but since the Ori are afraid to come to Milky Way at this time. It's likely that the Ancients either ascended first, or because their ascension was the result of philosophical meditaiton and scientific research, they are more powerful.

Remember that ascension is just the beginning of the journey. If you know the candle is fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago. Ancients continue to reflect and research after ascension. It's likely that the Ori simply sit in Celstus and get worshipped, create the occasional thunderstorm to demonstrate their power and turn a few blind zealots into Priors.

The Ori have absolute power in their home galaxy. And they have a burning (literally burning) desire to see the Ancients destroyed. They don't want to share the power they have as ascended being with anyone, even their most devout followers. So they demand unconditional worship of their followers, so that they cannot come to ascension on their own.

Their desire to destroy the Ancients, and their desire to selfishly retain power are the two main reasons they demand absolute devotion. All of this has been made painfully obvious in several episodes, most notably Orlin's briefing in "The Fourth Horsemen part 1."

Comment

Of course I've watched teh show adn though the ori wish to destroy the ancietns they believe strongly believe that they are keeping humanity from falling into the hands of evil(i.e. the ancients)

"Their victims knew no peace until the Ori came and whispered to them"Sleep for the end draws near"and on that day all will rejoice when the Ori come and lay them low. "

Comment

Originally posted by Øsiris øf the Øri
                        Of course I've watched teh show adn though the ori wish to destroy the ancietns they believe strongly believe that they are keeping humanity from falling into the hands of evil(i.e. the ancients)
                        I don't buy that. The Ori know they're the ones in the wrong here. I have no doubt in my mind of that. They just have all of their followers brainwashed into thinking this crusade is a righteous one. The Ori are simply manipulating things in their favor.
                        sigpic
                        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                        "...phu...ah..."
                        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Hmm...I wonder, what if the Ori has Merlin's weapon, only to find out that it needs a lot of energy to make it work? It could be a safety feature, that only the Ancients (who I assume had greater energy when Merlin made the weapon) can use.

So now they have to charge themselves up so they can use the weapon on the Ancients!

Comment

Well that might work, except that I think Daniel said the device is basically a sort of ZPM but instead of providing power to do work in our plane, it radiates all that energy out into the dimension that Ascend beings occupy, effectively neutralizing. It was stated to be sort of like having two waves being out of phase and cancelling each other, but I think a more apt analogy might be radar jamming. By filling their dimension with static, it basically prevents them from being able to do anything.

Comment

I think it's straightforward. Power, for power's sake. Why does anyone want power? Let's say for a moment they destroyed the ancients. Would they stop wanting humans to worship them and just leave them to their own devices? I don't think so. They'll continue to conquer more galaxies to increase their power.

But as long as opposition exists, their power isn't absolute. As long as someone has the ability to stand in judgement of them then they aren't all powerful, and they really want to be. I don't think it's personal, yes they have history with the ancients, but destroying them is a means to an end. The Ori aren't true gods if there are other beings with equal power of a different philosophy.

I think they believe it's their destiny and their right as ascended beings to rule over ALL lower planes of existence. They don't want to be like gods. They want to BE god. absolute power = absolute control, no opposition.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
                                I don't buy that. The Ori know they're the ones in the wrong here. I have no doubt in my mind of that. They just have all of their followers brainwashed into thinking this crusade is a righteous one. The Ori are simply manipulating things in their favor.
                                Yup.

I think they are energy vampires....sucking the life out of their priors to become stronger. Every time they wipe out a race...they become stronger.

Makes you wonder, though...if they run out of beings to suck dry...will they just run down like a car out of gas?

Comment

Working...
                                X