Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find it quiet funny that they can clone but they can't fix their bodies. Why not ask us for help again, as it appears our knowledge of genetics is better than theirs.
    http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/9...sigcopy9ie.jpg
    The Alliance is born!!!!

Comment

seastallion well said

Comment

I'd like to add that perhaps it's a major security threat living in the ascended plane.

Arthur's Mantle Spoilers
        Spoiler:
        Merlin was able to devise a weapon that kills ascended beings. The problem is is that you can't really target ascended beings so whatever the weapon is it would have to be a weapon of mass destruction. They can phase in and out of our plane and it may be impossible to see them when they're not in our plane. So what if the weapon of mass destruction actually destroys the ascended plane? Anything existing in the ascended plane becomes phased back into our own universe. It would be poetic justice for dealing with the Ori where the gods literally fall out of the sky for the abuse of their power.

Comment

Originally posted by DetriusXii
          I'd like to add that perhaps it's a major security threat living in the ascended plane.

Arthur's Mantle Spoilers
          Spoiler:
          Merlin was able to devise a weapon that kills ascended beings. The problem is is that you can't really target ascended beings so whatever the weapon is it would have to be a weapon of mass destruction. They can phase in and out of our plane and it may be impossible to see them when they're not in our plane. So what if the weapon of mass destruction actually destroys the ascended plane? Anything existing in the ascended plane becomes phased back into our own universe. It would be poetic justice for dealing with the Ori where the gods literally fall out of the sky for the abuse of their power.

Not neccessarily... We still don't know enough about the weapon to really be certain of how it works. Just because you can't target an ascended being with the naked eye, doesn't mean you you couldn't target one or many with right sensor equipment attached to it. You might be right, but it could also have a range limitation. Perhaps it has a limited range, so if you take it to their galaxy it would be more effective. Maybe if they used it to shoot Celestis the so called 'city of the gods'.
          The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
          Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
          http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
          My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
          Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Originally posted by HRAMA
            Why have not these two poweful ancient races ascended yet? I wonder if they have or are part of the Others that Orlin joined after ascending again. Perhaps we will get lucky and this will get address in a futre Sg1 episode.
            Could be they're just not interested. Nobody *has* to ascend. Maybe the Nox have the ability, but are content with their current level of existence.

Comment

They simply don't see a point to ascending. They are already immortal (or virtually immortal, though the asgards may be running into a stump), they already have a great deal of power, and ascension is only one path that may lead to "good doings"

Comment

thor said they've barely scratched the surface of the ancient knowledge...maybe they aren't as advanced as we believe. just got some fancy tricks and cool ships

Comment

If the ancients were so advanced why did they lose to the Wraith? While Earthling(Terrans) blow them up so easily with a Human/Asgard Hybrid ship

I bet if the Asgard wanted to wipe out the Wraith they probably could.
                  For those who want peace, prepare for war

S.P.Q.R. Senatus Populusque Romanus

Comment

Originally posted by wolverine_nl
                    The Others are the Ancients that have ascended already and live on another plane of excistance (which we cannot comprehent probably).

The Ancients cannot interfere with us lower-beings, they are the Watchers. Orlin broke the rule, so he was banished to that planet, but he made up for his mistakes and The Other Ancients allowed him back to their realm, i suppose. (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

So the Others are not Nox or Asgard, But Ancients (Alteran, Atlantean etc)
                    Only some of the 'others' are Ancients.

Comment

Originally posted by dmayor09
                      thor said they've barely scratched the surface of the ancient knowledge...maybe they aren't as advanced as we believe. just got some fancy tricks and cool ships
                      Or it may be that the Ancients had a different focus to their technology than the Asgard and the Nox.

It's not unreasonable that some races might be more advanced in one area than another. e.g.: this race has absolutely scary biotechnology and maintains an essentially immortal population by means of cloning the bodies and then downloading the consciousness of the old body into the new one, whereas that one seems to leave weapons capable of destroying the entire galaxy lying under every third rock.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks
                        Only some of the 'others' are Ancients.

Quite correct.
                        The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                        Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Originally posted by dmayor09
                          Don't you get the impression that the asgard are to the ancients as we are to the asgard, meaning the asgard were advanced somewhere between us and the tolan when the ancients were around? That would partially explain why they had only scratched the surface, and maybe why they had not ascended yet.
                          Janus: “What is it you called them?” Dr. Weir: “ZPM, Zero Point Module.” Janus: “Yes” Janus: “They're designed to operate in parallel, all three providing power to the city simultaneously.” Janus: “However, used in sequence, it may be possible to sustain the power for the needed time.”

Comment

Originally posted by deadman
                            maybe they are incapable of it
                            Good point. Orlin did say the alterans were a race on the "path" toward ascension. Maybe some races are not on that path.
                            Janus: “What is it you called them?” Dr. Weir: “ZPM, Zero Point Module.” Janus: “Yes” Janus: “They're designed to operate in parallel, all three providing power to the city simultaneously.” Janus: “However, used in sequence, it may be possible to sustain the power for the needed time.”

Comment

Why would they want to Ascend? I mean, it seems like ascension is THE best course to take (e.g immortality, superpowers, etc). But why? It's likesaying going to McDonalds is better than going to Burger King, same food but different styles.

The Knox chose the "Natural" path. Like embracing Gaia & the soul.
                              The Asgard chose the "Science" path. Cloning, Warships, etc.
                              The Alterens (ancients) chose the "Spirit" path, embracing peaceful meditating religion. Increasing oneself. (Then are all ascended beings an introvert?) Like Buddihsm, sort of.
                              The Ori, contrasted with the Alterens and chose the "Outerworld" path, disrupting lives, creating Doci & Priors to convert people & convert them. Kind of like the Christian Crusades. (Notice Christian =Western religion & Buddihsm =Eastern religion!)
                              The Furlings chose, well who knows? They probably chose a "DowntoEarth Utopian" path but also a "if you agrivate us we will destroy your entire race & all your base belong to us (?) kind of thing"
                              Humans (us) will probably chose the martyr path, sacrificing ourselves over & over again until we agrivate the Furlings & they destroy us in a fierce & bllody masacre lasting 3.141595624 seconds... yay!

They're all perfect choices to embrace, even if our will probably lead to mass extinction but they are all different & unique. So, yeah... (2nd Post ever!)

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet
                                Why would they want to Ascend? I mean, it seems like ascension is THE best course to take (e.g immortality, superpowers, etc). But why? It's likesaying going to McDonalds is better than going to Burger King, same food but different styles.

The Knox chose the "Natural" path. Like embracing Gaia & the soul.
                                The Asgard chose the "Science" path. Cloning, Warships, etc.
                                The Alterens (ancients) chose the "Spirit" path, embracing peaceful meditating religion. Increasing oneself. (Then are all ascended beings an introvert?) Like Buddihsm, sort of.
                                The Ori, contrasted with the Alterens and chose the "Outerworld" path, disrupting lives, creating Doci & Priors to convert people & convert them. Kind of like the Christian Crusades. (Notice Christian =Western religion & Buddihsm =Eastern religion!)
                                The Furlings chose, well who knows? They probably chose a "DowntoEarth Utopian" path but also a "if you agrivate us we will destroy your entire race & all your base belong to us (?) kind of thing"
                                Humans (us) will probably chose the martyr path, sacrificing ourselves over & over again until we agrivate the Furlings & they destroy us in a fierce & bllody masacre lasting 3.141595624 seconds... yay!

They're all perfect choices to embrace, even if our will probably lead to mass extinction but they are all different & unique. So, yeah... (2nd Post ever!)

Actually, the Alterans were on a 'science' path themselves. While it is true, that both the Alterans and the Ori were both on their way towards ascension (being the same species and all...), there was a schism because of their different viewpoints on the matter. The Ori saw it as some sort of ascendency to 'god-hood' whereas the Alterans saw it as another step in the evolutionary path.
                                Spoiler:
                                Merlin, and the other Atlanteans had had every intention of rebuilding their empire on the physical plain. However, when they returned to Earth they found that all that was left was a harsh world, full of primitive humans. They felt that it would be impossible to rebuild with what they had left, so they gave up. Some wondered the Earth, seeking ascension in peace, while others joined some of the primitive civilizations helping them to become more developed and intermarrying with the locals spreading their genetic makeup among the more primitive humans.

As to the less than positive remarks concerning christianity... that isn't really all that fair. While I agree that much of the so-called 'christians' (I'm more particular on what I define a christian as, and many of they bloody tyrants of history aren't it), history has been less than 'saintly', it is unfair to judge the whole on the directives of some 'religious' despots. The Crusades were sent for all the wrong reasons, but do not forget, that it was the Islamic world that first attempted a hostile incursion into Europe first. A lot of people like to forget about that part of history, and just look at the crusades. The Islamic world spread across the Mideast, Northern Africa, and Southern Asia (militarily) while attempting to spread into Europe by way of Spain (which they controlled for years), and the Baltic region most famous for 'Vlad the Impaler' (Dracula). The Muslims tried to invade Europe but it was the Baltic peoples that kept them from invading further inward. The so called 'Eastern' religions were no less bloody than the western ones, it is just that in the western world we are not as aware of that history as perhaps we should be.
                                Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                                X