Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ancients terraform galaxy? How old are they really?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Heaven
    Well sorry to disappoint you but without terraforming the chances of finding another planet suitable for human life in this galaxy are EXTREMELY low.

besides the lanteans were "spreading new life in a galaxy where there appeared to be none"
    That would be in reality. The show regularly operates outside that particular realm.

The idea that the Ancients are responsible not just for all life in this galaxy but the very basis of it would just be too much. It's bad enough as it is.

Besides the Milky Way is huge and it's not like these planets are right next door to each other. They are few and far between. We haven't even visited two hundred out of how many millions, perhaps billions of planets in the Milky Way.

if there were only 6 million planets in the entire galaxy, 1% of them would be 60,000. So the list of planets we have in the SG database with gates is tiny.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

In Frozen, they said that the Stargate was in ice that was as much as fifty million years old. IMO, that's an outside range for the age. Aiyana was estimated to have been frozen for three million years, which matches up with the "several million years ago" in SGA's pilot episode.

As for where humans were placed, there has been nothing in SG-1 that suggests the Ancients put humans on any other world than Earth. The humans we see were moved around the galaxy by the Goa'uld, who came to Earth in 8,000 B.C., and were run off about 3,000 B.C.

a time to mourn

Comment

Originally posted by MarshAngel
        ...or they claim they did but didn't because they lie, constantly, especially about things that make them look like all powerful gods.

I don't think the Ancients or the Goa'uld did significant terraforming. That's a lot of work. My wild guess is they took planets capable of supporting life in some way and did just enough to them so that they would comfortable for human life; as opposed to say, terraforming mars-like planets.

One of the reasons I think that is: in two cases, the planet with the solar radiation in First Commandment and the planet with the weather issues in touchstone, there were (likely Ancient) devices to maintain the conditions rather than change the planet itself. That doesn't exclude terraforming but there are apparently different ways of 'fixing' a planet.
        Well we know that the goauld steal technology and claim it as their own. There's no reason they didn't steal some terraforming device and use it on the planets with stargates on the Abydos cartouche. Outside of that, we don't know if they knew about the other stargates that jack programmed into the database when he had the ancient knowledge. There is a possibility that the goauld when they took the humans from earth, put those humans in a place which would be comfortable to them, so they wouldn't realise they were not on Earth which is why for example Abydos looks similiar to Ancient Egypt. Since Ra was the sun god for the ancient egyptians. So when he moved them from a desert to another desert they knew no different and carried on working as slaves for Ra.
        Do that for all the other ancient "gods" in the world and you soon see a pattern to how that planet would be.

Comment

Originally posted by Prior_of_the_Ori
          It would probably be thousands, millions is probably stretching it a bit.
          Yeah I highly doubt it's much more than thousands. There are other races in the galaxy during the reign of the Ancients: Asguard, Furlings, and Nox. The Nox probably had little desire for a large empire, and influence throughout the galaxy, but the Ancients definately, the Asguard atleast some, and who really knows about the Furlings. I imagine the Goulds came to power after the ancient's influence diminished, probably sometime near the outbreak of the plague, when they could move virtually unimpeded (scavenging technology, transplanting the new humans), throughout the galaxy.

Comment

Originally posted by bcharley
            "Planets" in the show are so similar since it's mainly filmed in the Vancouver area. I don't believe it's ever been stated that the Ancients were involved in terra-forming.
            Except by the Dakara device. And even then, lightly.

Comment

I always thought they just flew around the galaxy, looking for planets that could support human life and dumped a stargate there.

For some reason, im not sure why, i thought humans left earth through the stargate by their own accord. Perhaps it had something to do with the first episode with the Tollan. Someone asked why they were more advanced that us, and the answer given was something along the lines of

"The may have left earth before the ice age"

Still, i could have just formulated this in my mind, it may be based on absolutly nothing.
              An all new Stargate spinoff presents

Stargate: The B Team

The galaxy just got a whoooole lot crazier!

Comment

The Tollan didn't have a Dark Age.

Comment

Jeez just imagine the history tests an ancient kid would of had to take. hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by reiella
                    Except by the Dakara device. And even then, lightly.
                    When was it said that the Dakara device was actually used for terraforming?

Comment

Working...
                    X