This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nem2k
    have you noticed how there seem to be a lot of 2 parters with the same names now?
    like, before thered be 2 parters with different names ie Jolinars Memories, The Devil You Know, Summit, Last Stand
    'The Tok'ra, Parts 1 & 2'. That was in the second season. And technically, the pilot episode 'Children of the Gods' is part 1 and 2, what with it being a double length episode.

now we have just Evolution part 1, part 2, 4th horsemen part 1, part 2, redemption part 1, part 2, new order part 1, part 2....you get the idea
    We've also recently gotten 'Avalon, Parts 1 & 2', plus 'Origin' for part three. I'd say that last season's ep 'Threads' was a part three (and 3.5) to 'The Reckoning, Parts 1 & 2'. SGA's two mid-season two parters have had seperate titles, 'The Storm' and 'The Eye', 'The Lost Boys' and 'The Hive'.

Both conventions are in use, at the writers' discretion.

i really wish theyd stop doing that cos it makes it hard to remember the eps, and plus its just a plain lack of creativity when they could come up with cool names for each part
    Confusing? It simplifies things. Fewer episode titles to remember, and there's no confusion as to what episode finishes the story started by another one. As for the "lack of creativity", this is a television tradition that long predates Stargate, and will still be done long after the show ends its run.

a time to mourn

Comment

...correct!
      School is overrated.

Comment

'Memento mori is a Latin phrase that may be freely translated as "Remember that you are mortal," "Remember you will die," or "Remember your death". It names a genre of artistic creations that vary widely from one another, but which all share the same purpose, which is to remind people of their own mortality.' From wikipedia.

Hmmm.......

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit
          'Memento mori is a Latin phrase that may be freely translated as "Remember that you are mortal," "Remember you will die," or "Remember your death". It names a genre of artistic creations that vary widely from one another, but which all share the same purpose, which is to remind people of their own mortality.' From wikipedia.

Hmmm.......
          I visit that site often in regards to SG-1. Hmmm... but the title still reminds me too much of Season 6's Memento.

Mattathias

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit

Hmmm.......
            Some of us already knew that.
            But why do I get the feeling that the title could also be interpreted as Memento M-ori, and thus TPTB adding more nuances to the title? kind of: Remember the Ori, you are a mere mortal to them, they are your death, so remember you will be dead because of them. Or it is for all intents and porposes just aa catchy latin phrase (like all of them).
            If this title would have come when the Goa'uld were the main enemies in the Stargate universe this question wouldn't have come to even if later the Ori would have happened.
            Last edited by The Engineer; 26 January 2006, 04:33 PM.
            School is overrated.

Comment

I have an idea which I already told on a different thread. It's about the title of the 200th episode. I would call it:
              Deja vu:
              ------part 1------
              Let's say that the old SG-1 travels through the gate and finds a race of people who can predict the future not the exact facts only bits and pieces. And when SG-1 arrives this race has a glimpse of their future: their death because of some enemy that is or will be linked to the off-worlders. They do not know if the earthlings have met or not the doom bringers. They do not do if SG-1 is directly or not responsible for their doom. They do not know when and how. But they do know that the way they would handle the situation would save their future as a race. Inside the race 2 sides develope: one who thinks that telling nothing to the SG-1 and sent them back with a memory of a deserted place with no miltary interest whatsoever is the best course of action, the other one believes that it is better to tell them what they know. A decision is reached: the thinker side wins. But the other side sends someone to inform them the pieces they know: 2 stones, one silver device and a far away place, faith, hazard and a dangerous legacy with uninimaginable powers will bring destruction to them as long as they are not curious. The believer side implants this information as a program (not to act when the time will be right) in their subconscience to avoid deletion. SG-1 is sent back.
              ------part 2------
              Nowadays multiple blackholes appear in the Milky Way Galaxy. Some of them are real beachheads, others are decoy beachheads. The Human, Asgard and FJN can't take chances and investigate all the forming blackholes some with warships but beacause the growing number of beachheads they start sending SG teams. One of which is SG-1. Now the Ori try to established a beachhed nearby the race with visions from the future. The people are surprised to see them, again. And some of the members start to have a sense of deja-vu. BTW the decoy beachheads develope quickly engulfing the suns faster for the fleet or the SG teams or the Tok'Ra to establish if they are natural occured or not and no supergate parts are sent and no Ori fleet arrives later. Because SG-1 came early they are surprised to see that the sun and the blackhole are 2 different bodies: a confirmed Ori incoming beachhead. But because of the fact that the allied fleet is widespread from this part of the Galaxy the unthinkable happens. All SG-1 is left to do is evacuate the people, but they are billions much like Earth, to many for a gate to handle. The Ori come with the fleet in their solar system, apparantely the Ori did not established their beachhead so near to these people for nothing. During these moments some of the people have new visions, but more abstract like the previous ones, the most powerfull of them is "DESPERATION" and "UNEVIOTABLE DEATH". As their last act of free people they tell SG-1 their first encounter and their reason behind all their actions. SG-1 realizes that beacause of Daniel subconscious info all of the Ori tactics so far were for one reason: to be able to predict the outcome of their tactics and choose the best ones, because though ascended beings the Ori aren't able to predict the future. This is confirmed by the fact that the Ori fleet doesn't fire upon the planet but sends Priors and troops. They don't want to kill a possible fortune teller and start beaming people on board of their vessles. A decision has to be made: a few billions or a galaxy. The Human fleet arrives. Half of it hides behind one of the planets moons and leaves a weapon much like the one in Trinity. The other half engages the Ori. And in the same time Mark IX are beamed and detonated in the planet's atmosphere. The Trinity weapon detonates. The fate of the remaining Human or Ori fleet remains unkown. The SG-1 is back safely on the Beta site with some of the evacuees. One of them is the one who implanted them their info. None of them knows what happened with their homeworld. Daniel is puzzled and asks how did they reach a conclusion in how to handle SG-1 back a few years (tell/not tell) finds out it was a flip of the coin as this is their custom.
              School is overrated.

Comment

?
                For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

Originally posted by Hatcheter
                  We've also recently gotten 'Avalon, Parts 1 & 2', plus 'Origin' for part three. I'd say that last season's ep 'Threads' was a part three (and 3.5) to 'The Reckoning, Parts 1 & 2'. SGA's two mid-season two parters have had seperate titles, 'The Storm' and 'The Eye', 'The Lost Boys' and 'The Hive'.
                  Yeah, but they also had The Siege Parts 1, 2, and 3. Sort of voids all that, don't you think?

Comment

i really hope they think of a better title for the 200th episode than "200"....come on writers both seasons 7 and 8 had a lot of creative titles and some of season 9 too

Comment

They're only titles, does it really matter?

Comment

I wish they'd change the Memento Mori title - cause every time I hear it I immediately think X-Files!!
                        -

Comment

Originally posted by The Engineer
                          Hmm, interesting, what if instead of Evolution parts 1 and 2 we would've had Evolution and Evilution. Just playing with words here. But using names like (insert name) part 1 and 2 is TPTB's way of making a statement that the 2s are 2 faces of the same coin.

But as only for pt1&2 eps I doubt that we won't see different title names for two parters. Avalon and Origin is an exemple (ok, it's not a 2 parter, it's a 3 parter - rare flower in stargate universe, and it's Avalon pt 1 & 2, but we do have 2 different title names for linked eps). Half an exemple, but still an exemple.
                          I always liked the two parter season 8 finale of the x-files 'Essence' and then 'Existance'

Comment

Originally posted by Johnquixote
                            My favorite episode title ever was from Farscape. It was a three parter, but Farscape gives its epics individual names between episodes, but with an overall epic name. Long story short, the episode's title was, "We're So Screwed- La Bomba".
                            Farscape had great titles for alot of their eps though, "Back and Back and Back to the Future" and "A Clockwork Nebari".
                            Farscape's titles were often creative. "Eat Me", "Crackers Don't Matter", "The Way We Weren't" and "Won't Get Fooled Again" were also good titles that come to mind. They tended to use pop culture references a lot. Stargate seems to go the "mythic" route with many of their titles.

Comment

why does the title of the damn show matter if it's good it's good right?
                              BRING BACK THE NOX!!!!!
                              Also bring back Jack and get rid of that other guy whatever his name is.

Comment

Farscape enjoyed making puns and references to other sci-fi. In essence it acted as a spoof (a highly entertaining and sometimes dramatic spoof, but a spoof all the same).

Stargate is rooted in mythology, so we will get more mythology and latin titles. And sometimes just simple one word titles. But Stargate generally dosn't go down the spoof route like Farscape and thus is less likely to have cutsie titles.
                                Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Working...
                                X