Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

it happens sometimes.
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Silverwings View Post
        In an anti S10 thread? Yikes.
        All I'll say then is that 'lead' generally refers to slot in credits. RDA/BB @ #1 = both male lead and overall lead; AT @ #2 = female lead. Any further comment on that will demonstrate my general anti-ness
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
          All I'll say then is that 'lead' generally refers to slot in credits. RDA/BB @ #1 = both male lead and overall lead; AT @ #2 = female lead. Any further comment on that will demonstrate my general anti-ness
          I know what you mean. And I know what 'lead' means too. I was pointing out the 'on paper' versus the 'in deed'.

Meh. Doesn't matter.

suse
          sigpic
          Mourning Sanctuary.
          Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
            I know what you mean. And I know what 'lead' means too. I was pointing out the 'on paper' versus the 'in deed'.

Meh. Doesn't matter.

suse
            Meh, indeed. You'd think if they had to pay her they'd at least use her. What a waste of talent in S9 & 10 (with a few exceptions).
            I caught part of Prototype last night in the reruns on SciFi. They had Sam mostly standing around looking worried.

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post

Meh. Doesn't matter.

suse
              You and I know it. Do TPTB?

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
              Meh, indeed. You'd think if they had to pay her they'd at least use her. What a waste of talent in S9 & 10 (with a few exceptions).
              I caught part of Prototype last night in the reruns on SciFi. They had Sam mostly standing around looking worried.
              I thought they might have done more turn about eps. Take TRNT in s10. While there were many weak eps in s9/10, I think that was one of the strongest in the entire series. Carter was not even in the next one, but it didn't seem like she was missing. One good ep can make up for a lot of dross
              sigpic

Comment

they did a lot of that in s9 and 10. both sam and teal'c spent a lot of time propping up walls while coop's favorites got the run of the place

and it's not just amanda that got 'paper vs reality' poor ben was tagged as the lead of the show but had no plot arc or nothing beyond 'whumpable hewo of the week' most of the time

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                  they did a lot of that in s9 and 10. both sam and teal'c spent a lot of time propping up walls while coop's favorites got the run of the place

and it's not just amanda that got 'paper vs reality' poor ben was tagged as the lead of the show but had no plot arc or nothing beyond 'whumpable hewo of the week' most of the time
                  Yes, after a big buildup at the beginning of S9 they forgot about him too. That's the problem with 1 person being writer, director & overall producer. I noticed various people connected with the show left in S9 & 10.
                  I wonder if years later we'll of hear some behind the scenes dissatisfaction. Probably not now as people won't want to burn their bridges...

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                    Yes, after a big buildup at the beginning of S9 they forgot about him too. That's the problem with 1 person being writer, director & overall producer. I noticed various people connected with the show left in S9 & 10.
                    I wonder if years later we'll of hear some behind the scenes dissatisfaction. Probably not now as people won't want to burn their bridges...
                    Depends how close to retirement they are
                    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
                      ... Take TRNT in s10. ...
                      There were Teenage Retarded Ninja Turtles in Stargate? I really am forgetting S10.
                      Tilting windmills since... well... too long ago to remember...

sigpic

My portfolio and repository:
                      http://z13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/

Comment

Originally posted by Silverwings View Post
                        There were Teenage Retarded Ninja Turtles in Stargate? I really am forgetting S10.
                        Haha. The Road Not Taken. But I'm sure you knew that
                        sigpic

Comment

Mitchell and Carter never had a chance in S9 and S10. Both were plagued by "We don't what to write for them" and the former also by his lack of a true backstory.

I could've bought into Mitchell being the lead of the show had they given him a backstory like Ba'al pulling strings to get Mitchell in the lead of SG-1 so they wouldn't screw up his plans. It would've made for a nice arc as Mitchell would continiously be reminded of it by Ba'al's agents and when Ba'al tells him the truth he could've had a complete breakdown, in field, where the rest of the team has to help him get over it.

Anyway, Sam, poor Sam. She was plagued by the 8 years of history and her reputation as a strong woman. She couldn't be changed into Vala Jr. and fawn over all the male leads, and they couldn't get rid of her, so she became the techno-babble wallpaper.

Only in Atlantis S4, at times, we could see the strong Sam, the leader, where she stands up against Sheppard and leads the expedition. And despite not liking her introduction in Atlantis, I liked how she was in charge and was more like the old Sam again.

I guess the title of "The Road Not Taken" can be taken literally, it's the road they really didn't take with the writing for the most part.
                          Signed,

Gregorius
                          Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                          Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius View Post
                            Mitchell and Carter never had a chance in S9 and S10. Both were plagued by "We don't what to write for them" and the former also by his lack of a true backstory.

I could've bought into Mitchell being the lead of the show had they given him a backstory like Ba'al pulling strings to get Mitchell in the lead of SG-1 so they wouldn't screw up his plans. It would've made for a nice arc as Mitchell would continiously be reminded of it by Ba'al's agents and when Ba'al tells him the truth he could've had a complete breakdown, in field, where the rest of the team has to help him get over it.
                            I'd have liked either the 'my uncle got me this job' angle for cam, or the 'major mitchell that joins to lead then, when sam returns, has two choices, lead another team or step down to 'learn from the best'

the whole mart stu mitchell, ain't he so great? and why doesn't he walk on water yet, got on my nerves.

Anyway, Sam, poor Sam. She was plagued by the 8 years of history and her reputation as a strong woman. She couldn't be changed into Vala Jr. and fawn over all the male leads, and they couldn't get rid of her, so she became the techno-babble wallpaper.
                            sam also suffered from something that females on the show have for a few years....if they can't ship em they don't know what to do with them

vala, by and large, existed to be shipped with daniel. and that was the sole sum of her existence. she was daniel's arm candy with a little story arc tossed in that grew out of claudia's real pregnancy and scifi's insistence that she be in the finale, whether she be preggers or not

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                              I'd have liked either the 'my uncle got me this job' angle for cam, or the 'major mitchell that joins to lead then, when sam returns, has two choices, lead another team or step down to 'learn from the best'
                              I'd go with the first, the second makes no sense with other, more capable leaders - Ferreti etc. - leading the other SG teams. I can see a Maj. Mitchell being appointed to SG-1 but not as a leader but as a rookie who, as you stated, got the job because his uncle pulled some strings.

Or, he could've gotten a Tok'Ra symbiot, thanks to his uncle, as he was dying. Now that would've been a nice twist and would've added a little tension between him and Sam.

the whole mart stu mitchell, ain't he so great? and why doesn't he walk on water yet, got on my nerves.
                              *nods* All that was missing was a powerful Kirk ability, ascension, and he would've been perfect. He could've become the Leonardo DaVinci of SG-1.

sam also suffered from something that females on the show have for a few years....if they can't ship em they don't know what to do with them
                              And that's why I dislike ships. They tend to ruin shows and characters if not implimented properly.

vala, by and large, existed to be shipped with daniel. and that was the sole sum of her existence. she was daniel's arm candy with a little story arc tossed in that grew out of claudia's real pregnancy and scifi's insistence that she be in the finale, whether she be preggers or not
                              I know. Although I disagree with her being Daniel's arm candy, she was Action Jackson's arm candy. Daniel ascended in S5 and what came down in S7 was something else having his form.

Also, why on Earth do network executives think they're so important and "creative"? If the past should've taught them one thing it would be that trying to interfere with a show usually drags a show downhill.
                              Signed,

Gregorius
                              Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                              Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

I'd go with the first, the second makes no sense with other, more capable leaders - Ferreti etc. - leading the other SG teams. I can see a Maj. Mitchell being appointed to SG-1 but not as a leader but as a rookie who, as you stated, got the job because his uncle pulled some strings.
                                See, that could have worked. He got the job because of connections--my Uncle the Senator or something, but Cam isn't really a bad guy, and then learns from the best and earns his place on the team.
                                They still could have used the "enthusiasm" they wanted for Mitchell, but done it a hair more realistically.
                                It all goes back to the idea of the networks that the guy has to be the leader b/c guys won't accept a female leader.

(I find it interesting that my young nephew has just started watching Voyager and his favorite character is Captain Janeway. Networks would probably say, ah, but he's not a teenager yet.)

Comment

Working...
                                X