S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rogue View Post
    I remember when it was first leaked that Sam would do half SG-1 and half SGA. I don't think TPTB were expecting such a backlash from the fans. I think its a shame that just because Jack leaves, they lose interest in the Sam character.
    Remember when the rumour was circulating that MS was going to star in the new spin-off, then the swift, ringing denial that any such possibility had ever been considered? Or when Sam was going to be in an unspecified, but low number of episodes in Season Four of Atlantis?

I sometimes wonder if they suggest possibilities like that as a way of testing the waters. Toss the grenade, stand back and watch the reaction.

If the reaction is positive, they go ahead with it. If it's negative, that's the end of that.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by Nikki View Post
      EDIT: Oh, and does anyone actually think that Jack would like Landry? TPTB obviously had Jack like Landry so that the viewers would accept him but IMO that's rubbish. From what we know of Jack I can imagnine Jack hating the guy.
      Originally posted by Silverwings View Post
      I'm not so sure of that. Landry's no Hammond, but he does have a sense of humor and dedication to his people. I don't see Jack hating the guy. I don't see grounds for a good friendship, true, but Landry is capable enough for the SGC big chair. (Which mostly means letting SG-1 do their thing, sadly enough.) I certainly don't think Jack has a reason to hate him, neither personally nor professionally.

At least, no more than Jack hates any form of authority.
      Jack would not forgive him for not listening to Carter when she said the machine to hide the village wouldn't be completed in three days, the result of which was nearly her death.

Beyond his basic fury over endangering a member of SG-1, he would lose all respect for Landry based on Landry's refusal to listen to his people and tell the IOC that the experiment wasn't possible at that time.
      sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
      May we all be so well loved.

Comment

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post
        Jack would not forgive him for not listening to Carter when she said the machine to hide the village wouldn't be completed in three days, the result of which was nearly her death.

Beyond his basic fury over endangering a member of SG-1, he would lose all respect for Landry based on Landry's refusal to listen to his people and tell the IOC that the experiment wasn't possible at that time.
        I'd imagine he's a bit more understanding than that, at least professionally. He's had his share of IOC encounters. Still, you're right that those events would be troubling. It also makes me wonder how much Jack actually does up there in the hallowed halls of D.C.
        Tilting windmills since... well... too long ago to remember...

sigpic

My portfolio and repository:
        http://z13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
          that's because, IMHO, if a woman aint half of a pairing, coop don't know what to do with her.

most of vala's scenes were with her on daniel's arm, and since jack wasn't there to ship sam with, i don't think he knew what to do with her, so he just ignored her as much as possible
          In Coop's defense, Amanda negated his vision of Sam/Cam
          /end sarcasm

Jack would have listened to Carter! In season 8 Gemini he listened to her and in the end blamed himself and not her for trusting RepliCarter

Comment

Originally posted by Silverwings View Post
            I'm not so sure of that. Landry's no Hammond, but he does have a sense of humor and dedication to his people. I don't see Jack hating the guy. I don't see grounds for a good friendship, true, but Landry is capable enough for the SGC big chair. (Which mostly means letting SG-1 do their thing, sadly enough.) I certainly don't think Jack has a reason to hate him, neither personally nor professionally.

At least, no more than Jack hates any form of authority.
            I agree I do not understand the hatred of Landry at all.
            sigpic
            My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
            poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

I think they made a Landry a bad example of a base leader,with all the dumb moves he's made; making a newbie leader of SG1, the fiasco mentioned above, not locking out Carter's codes when she was taken hostage on the base, appointing his daughter as CMO, making insulting innuendos to Carter about being involved with a boy...I'm sure the list goes on, but then I'd have to remember more about the seasons
              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Exactly. The problem with Landry is they tried to make him a character we were supposed to like, but made him do stupid things like that. Now, Bauer we would expect that from and hate him for it. With Landry we're supposed to overlook it? And don't forget he let *Vala* answer for Sam. (TPTB going for a laugh, I guess)

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                  I think they made a Landry a bad example of a base leader,with all the dumb moves he's made; making a newbie leader of SG1, the fiasco mentioned above, not locking out Carter's codes when she was taken hostage on the base, appointing his daughter as CMO, making insulting innuendos to Carter about being involved with a boy...I'm sure the list goes on, but then I'd have to remember more about the seasons
                  Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                  Exactly. The problem with Landry is they tried to make him a character we were supposed to like, but made him do stupid things like that. Now, Bauer we would expect that from and hate him for it. With Landry we're supposed to overlook it? And don't forget he let *Vala* answer for Sam. (TPTB going for a laugh, I guess)
                  Exactly! Well done and thank you! That's exactly why he's the worst leader of the SGC that we've ever had with the exception of Bauer (but then, we were supposed to hate him) Landry had no excuse.

(Credit to RepliCartertje for the beautiful sig and to Mala for smilies.)

Comment

i thnk jack would have understoodn landry's position in lits.

they didn't have time for safe and exhaustive field trials. sam said herself, you take calculated risks. her job is to present the risks and her boss' job to decide which risks to take.

landry didn't do it to personally get even wtih her. he made a decision and - had that generator not blown - it would have been a resounding success
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                      I didn't like his daddy/daughter issues.
                      Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

i had no issue with them in thier existence...but i did with how they were played out.

Lam trying to reconcile with her dying father over the PA????? dude, that's cold.

Perhaps another angle, if no one had known that she was his daughter from the getgo. only his superiors and cameron (since she and he reportedly had a history)

then it comes out. but it comes out quietly, her taking to him and holding his hand as he's dying or expressing her regrets or him asking her to tell her mother goodbye.

something a little more dignified than it was

sigpic

Comment

i had no issue with them in thier existence...but i did with how they were played out.

Lam trying to reconcile with her dying father over the PA????? dude, that's cold.

Perhaps another angle, if no one had known that she was his daughter from the getgo. only his superiors and cameron (since she and he reportedly had a history)

then it comes out. but it comes out quietly, her taking to him and holding his hand as he's dying or expressing her regrets or him asking her to tell her mother goodbye.

something a little more dignified than it was
                          What was the deal with Lam anyways? I have seen Lexa in Andromeda and in a few guest roles/movies, and she def. looked like someone who could act and wasn't just pretty-face material. But Lam was sort of... ug, I can't even define the character. Like a cold fish? Non-emotive? I don't know. Janet rocked the CMO position so great that I know it was going to be hard to follow that up, but Lam was like missing a core to her character or something. And it can't just be the limited screentime, because there have been characters with small amounts of time but had huge impact. It's back to the writing again I must assume.
                          sigpic Heliosphere- multi-shipper, multi-thunker

Comment

i can only guess it's teh writing. or maybe they were so afraid that lam would be compassionate like janet and so wrote her colder, just to make her different.

if they wanted her colder, hey why not play the 'competant and efficient but emotionally detatched' doctor card?

in other words, she's not cruel or mean or neglectful. but patients are just her job so there's no warmth or friendliness with her.

give her a different angle than trying to redo that 'doctor with a soft middle' thing they had with janet

sigpic

Comment

i can only guess it's teh writing. or maybe they were so afraid that lam would be compassionate like janet and so wrote her colder, just to make her different.

if they wanted her colder, hey why not play the 'competant and efficient but emotionally detatched' doctor card?

in other words, she's not cruel or mean or neglectful. but patients are just her job so there's no warmth or friendliness with her.

give her a different angle than trying to redo that 'doctor with a soft middle' thing they had with janet
                              I think they were trying to avoid writing another "janet" type doctor. Even the actress LD said the character was too cold.

I wonder if they had written her more like Janet it would have been far better than the detached doctor they came up with. I have had lots of experiences with doctors due to my daughter's Williams Syndrome.

Either they are young and hot to trot and think that I am over reacting when I tell them she has cyclic vomiting and that young doctor will "prove" me wrong only to find out 12 hours later that I was right OR they are relaxed "old hands" who now know to actually listen to the parents.

I think they should have made Lam a young, hot to trot doctor who was very smart but didn't really listen over the detached doctor they came up with.

True, there are doctors with bad bedside manners who really are in it just for the money, but most are very compassionate and a few even arrogant.

For the most part a doctor will spend may 10 to 15 minutes with you and if you don't get their attention and make them listen to you in the first 30 seconds they don't listen to you UNLESS you come there with a written account of everything you have been going through.

It's amazing just how attentive and respectful doctors become when you have a diary. Just keep a log of what is the current symptom, when it started. If it got better and than worse. Write it down and believe me you will be more valuable than all those references on their desk.
                              Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

I didn't 'get' Lam either.
                                There are more than two personality types for doctors, they don't have to be compassionate or cold, with no middle ground. Professional writers should be able to write subtle and interesting characters of all types.
                                And it was another example of their chronic underusing of their female actors; they seldom really stretched Amanda, particularly in later years. They didn't give Lexa anything to work with at all.

FF
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X