S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by captain jake View Post
    Yep I mean it's completely unrealistic for people and objects to be lost in a war against unimaginable enemies...

No sarcasm intended at least I don't think any was intended.
    this is the anti thread for a reason...if you wish to pick a debate go to another thread.
    Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
      this is the anti thread for a reason...if you wish to pick a debate go to another thread.
      ME!! Debate... haha no that is not my intention at all.

this is the "For complaints and misgivings ONLY" thread. Therefore I complained and mis gave. (in a sarcastic tone of course)
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by captain jake View Post
        Yep I mean it's completely unrealistic for people and objects to be lost in a war against unimaginable enemies...

No sarcasm intended at least I don't think any was intended.
        Realistic, yes - personally, I consider bringing Daniel back to have been a huge mistake - but in writing terms, killing off characters for shock value or for the sake of change is a bad idea. Any short-term gains are outweighed by long-term losses.

The demise of Thor and the Asgard was sloppy writing - if we see SG-1 making use of Asgard tech in the movies, we'll know why the Asgard are dead.

Janet Fraiser - sending the CMO into combat was a pretty daft decision on Hammond's part. I'm sure that there are SG team members with field med training.

Beckett - Exploding tumours?

Jacob Carter - didn't need to die. Plain and simple. A casualty of the "end of series, let's go out with a bang" attitude.

Catherine Langford was old, but it would have been feasible for her to just give Daniel her collection, or at least part of it, to enable the "Moebius" storyline.

The stargate - not dead, but it may as well be for all the use it gets.

Jonas and Ford may not be dead, so I'll skip over them. Same with Weir.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Catherine Langford is the only person on that list that I am comfortable with dying randomly, and that is strictly due to age. Daniel should have never had to die because if they hadn't quit writing Daniel into team episodes in seasons 4 and 5 when they went the x-files/politics route, the actor wouldn't have had to leave for more acting challenges.

Jacob Carter never should have died because he was supposed to be an example on how gaining a tok'ra could be good for humans. And suddenly Selmak is on his/her last legs? Uh uh.

Janet shouldn't have had to die because not ONE of the replacement doctors held a candle to her acting. (And what was up with that? Lexa Doig kicked butt on Andromeda and was cardboard on SG1. It's like they forgot how to write *people* or something in nine and ten!)

The Asgard thing is unforgivable. They spent the first few years of the show creating these really cool races and cultures and worlds, and the more they moved away from the exploration theme, the more cultures they destroyed. In my happy Stargate world, they faked their deaths and moved to the same galaxy that the Abydonians were moved to because their deaths were uncalled for as well.
          sigpic Heliosphere- multi-shipper, multi-thunker

Comment

Originally posted by heliosphere View Post
            Daniel should have never had to die because if they hadn't quit writing Daniel into team episodes in seasons 4 and 5 when they went the x-files/politics route, the actor wouldn't have had to leave for more acting challenges.
            That was all but inevitable. Under the circumstances, archaeology and cultural studies was going to take a back seat to the military and technological/scientific sides of the missions, and just about everybody in the galaxy speaks English, so with Daniel's background, there wasn't going to be playing a huge role on missions.

The more people who found out about the stargate's existence, the more political/NID storylines there were going to be.

Once MS chose to leave, and his character was killed off, I think that TPTB should have stuck to their decision. It struck me that they were having difficulties integrating Daniel into the storylines in Seasons Seven and Eight, simply because the story had moved in such a direction that the character wasn't going to be playing a major role, so they had to force in Daniel-stories. Come Seasons Nine and Ten, they stopped writing Daniel full stop, and brought in Jackson.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

A few points:

AGateFan--I also like heroes who are heroes--the good guys. Perhaps they think it's passe, but in the current climate of "anti-heroes"--sticking the their guns of keeing SG1 etc heroes would be refreshing. That doesn't mean they can't make mistakes and maybe sometimes hurt people. But they try their best to do the right thing. IMHO.

On the realism of people getting killed in a war etc. Well Stargate has never been about total realism. If we were being realistic SG1 would have been dead in S1. I watch SG1 for good stories and I accept that they will miraculously get out of dire circumstances. But they will do it through ingenuity and some luck. Watching how they get out of a mess and how they struggle with the science, moral questions etc. is what brought me to the show.
              If I want a more realistic depiction of a war I'll watch a documentary or Band of Brothers. That's not what SG1 is IMHO.

Comment

If they really wanted realism then Sam wouldn't be SG-1...she's the head scientist. Daniel is the head archaeologist and wouldn't be SG-1. Teal'c was an enemy soldier and certainly would not be SG-1. Colonel O'Neill was suicidal in the movie and fudged his report about the death of Dr. Jackson in the movie and wouldn't be SG-1.

Kowalski should be SG-1 along with three no names who would work under Sam and Daniel. Teal'c would be a reoccurring character that would provide information on the jaffa.

Jack--wouldn't even be there due to his mental state in the beginning of the movie. He was sent because it was a suicide mission.

Once someone has shown suicidal tendencies--they usually don't like to give them a gun.

Comment

Its funny. They used to try to be "real" with regard to respect of the USAF and following regs as close as they could. They used to be "real" by having earth be "primative" and treated as childern by older wiser races. There was always the unreal, good old action adventure\hero aspect.

Now they try to be "real" by killing older characters and having moral-less people highlighted (since we alllll know real people lack morals). Of course the people with less morals are now regarded as the "fifth race" and are tooling the round the galaxy in advanced starships that apparently self multiply like rabbits.

Darker does not equal more real just more annoying (oh, so I guess its like real life that way).
                  Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

LOL...yep...multiply like rabbits.

For Stagate to be real...hm, Daniel would have a boss and so would Sam. A general like Hammond would hopefully be charge. Jack was never suicidal and Teal'c never took Daniel's wife--he would helped her escape.

Oh, we wouldn't have big honken ships, beam me up scotty technology, an IOA and the Gate certainly wouldn't be in Cheyenne mountain with NORAD.

SG-1 would actually be called a fire team--consist of 2 to 4 people. The Marines would be running the show with air force support, army support and navy support.

I doubt the base would be in Colorado...there are too many bases there. There is supposed to be a few underground bases that could used...one would be Wright Patterson AFB though unlikely due to the museum and school.

Area 51--to clich'e

the new area 51--nah

An aircraft carrier or island would be best...it would isolate the gate from the rest of the public.

So, the real gate would be on a US territory island somewhere out in the middle of the pacific ocean. The Navy and Air Force would be supporting branches while the Marines took point.

The Gate goes tropical...could be the new theme of the Stargate Command show.

Comment

The Gate goes tropical...could be the new theme of the Stargate Command show.
                      The scary thing is that it could happen. A good excuse to put them in shorts and tank tops--not the pesky full uniforms. Remember S8--season of the tank top?

Comment

Stargate goes Fantasy Island....just need the little person, Tattoo in the white jacket pointing and stating..."The gate, the gate."

Comment

Stargate goes Fantasy Island....just need the little person, Tattoo in the white jacket pointing and stating..."The gate, the gate."
                          Dr Lee?
                          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
                            Dr Lee?
                            no--Tattoo was the little person (midget) in the TV show fantasy Island--the 70's TV show. He would point to the air plane as it came in and yell: "Da plane, da plane."

Comment

no--Tattoo was the little person (midget) in the TV show fantasy Island--the 70's TV show. He would point to the air plane as it came in and yell: "Da plane, da plane."
                              Yes I know who tattoo is. Dr lee is the shortest goofy-ist looking guy on the show...and it doesnt help that they made him a goof in recent years. But I am wrong because surely Vala would play that part....she plays all the parts, even Dorthy.....what crp.

Comment

OMG... Vala as Tattoo.

Vala--dressed in a white tank top and shorts and wearing a straw hat kneeling by Daniel who is dressed a white suit and pointing to the gate.

"Dr. Jackson--da gate, da gate. Who is coming to have their fantasy fulfilled this week?

Comment

Working...
                                X