S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prion
    Excuse me while I get my catapult ready with a bushel of rotten tomatoes. NOBODY can be as dim as Joey (if we're talking the guy with the low-watt appliance IQ from the unfunny NBC sitcom)...
    Of course Cam isn't as dumb as Joey, TPTB doesn't want to estrange their fanbase now would they
    Signed,

Gregorius
    Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
    Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      it's not as much the existence of the new characters. It's how they've been inserted into the show adn written.

cam is a horrible leader and so schizo that i'd be treating him for ADHD and checking to see if he's bi-polar.

Vala...is a fanboy fantasy and it seems that the show runner's adoration of the character/actress blinds them to the flaws in her character

the writers would be fine on thier own, although given the horrible plotholes and sloppy writing it's obvious that they're so overworked that they're aiming for quantity not quality...but coop....coop is a heck of a writer, he just doesnt' seem to have the long standing vision to keep a show on the straight and narrow

These boys seem so entrenched in their 'we're so great' fan club that they can't/won't see that what they think is so great is certainly not seen that way by a good chunk of the fandom
      GREEN!
      Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

Oh so.....if cam is joey and vala is rachel, then sam must be monica, and jack is chandler and daniel is ross and teal'c....well poor teal'c is still in the corner saying 'indeed'

which means that, in the finale, monica will end up with chanler, ross will end up with rachel - didn't she sleep with joey though? - before marrying ross and teal'c....well maybe teal'c can put on a wig and be phoebe????
        Teal'c as Pheobe-you know there is a certain poetic justice to that observation. Phoebe was the only sane one of the group-and considering how really ditzy she was-she was the only one that saw things as they were.
        Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
          I agree - TPTB, IMO, are showing their desperation that thier "golden boy and girl" are not doing it for them - in fact IMO their "golden boy and girl" are hurting the show. Along with the bad, actually horrific, writing and storylines we have been fed.
          Sadly, I can't green you yet.

What you have said is true. The poor handling of Cameron and Vala's characters has lost them more viewers than they gained, whereas if TPTB had tried to integrate them into the show wothout taking away focus from existing characters instead of making it "The Amazing Cameron And Vala Show!... oh, and SG-1 are around here, somewhere", they would have been able to win new viewers from those who who were already fans of Ben Browder and Claudia Black without alienating the fans they already had.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

This is unbelievable: http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...07#post5099307

Apparently if you dont want RDA to come back for S10 you are both rude and do not deeply respect him
            Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
            - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod
              This is unbelievable: http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...07#post5099307

Apparently if you dont want RDA to come back for S10 you are both rude and do not deeply respect him
              Well, he's a saint to them And as Skydriver mentioned in the Anti-S9 thread some people can't make the distinction between actor and the character
              Signed,

Gregorius

sigpic

Comment

I too think that RDA's return is a ratings stunt. I am not so sure it is such a great idea. I wonder at why he even wants to do it????

I do agree with the poster that said TPTB know they have screwed up. They may not care much about the fans but they care about the ratings and fans make the ratings.

To some extent I think they are actually surprised that S9 did not catch on--egos being what they are and all.
                I am still not sure they ever planned going beyond S10 and now realize that S10 can not be justified without drastic action--enter RDA.

I mean--it really is about money. I dont think they have any intention of trying to put Stargate back together--they will continue on course with the hope of tossing in RDA to boost ratings to avoid being cancelled by the suits who care most about the bottom line.

I like RDA but I doubt he will be able to do anything to fix this mess. I would love to be a fly on a wall for some of these meetings.

Comment

Originally posted by EmmaPeel
                  I agree. Having said that, I don't think the writers should NOT do something they want to do just because some "psychotic" fans will interpret it as meaning *they* (and their compaigns) were responsible.

I have to laugh because the anti-S/J people are on another forum are going nuts because they are convinced having RDA back means they are going to have to suffer the pangs of ship again. So they already are gearing up to write their letters against the ship, as are those who want the ship, I suspect.

Like it or not, PTB seem to think WX kind of stuff is really funny and it seems as if they want to do what is fun for them (cast and crew) for the 200 eppy; a bit self-indulgent, but it *is* their show. And it would just make sense that they would ask RDA back for the 200 eppy -- at least to me. And if RDA feels 'energized' and offers to come back for a few eppies if they want him....come on, do you think they are going to say "no?" And if some wacko fan thinks *they* are responsible for RDA returning, what are you gonna do?

Having said *that* and being a big RDA/Jack fan, I am sorry he is coming back. It does all start with the writing for me. I thought most of S9 was very bad in that department and Jack coming back ain't gonna make the writing suddenly better. For selfish reasons, I would like him not to come back. I want the good memories rather than being confronted with the potential of being really really sorry Jack actually came back. Selfish of me, but there it is.

In spite of it all, I will give S10 a chance. Was going to anyway even though I am not at all enamored with Vala and Mitchell. And if it's bad, I can always walk away.
                  If the writing is as pathetic as this season and they denigrate the character of Jack O'Neill I will do what I did to Season 9 - I'll pretend it just doesn't exist.
                  sigpic
                  Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
                  My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                    Sadly, I can't green you yet.

What you have said is true. The poor handling of Cameron and Vala's characters has lost them more viewers than they gained, whereas if TPTB had tried to integrate them into the show wothout taking away focus from existing characters instead of making it "The Amazing Cameron And Vala Show!... oh, and SG-1 are around here, somewhere", they would have been able to win new viewers from those who who were already fans of Ben Browder and Claudia Black without alienating the fans they already had.
                    Now there's a concept - make Cam and Vala interesting - just give a little taste, add a dash of intrigue and have the audience beg for more.
                    sigpic
                    Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
                    My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser
                      Now there's a concept - make Cam and Vala interesting - just give a little taste, add a dash of intrigue and have the audience beg for more.
                      And while we're at it, we'll place them on a living ship that has a stargate. And we'll add puppets and some aliens.

Also we'll rename the series: "Stargate: Moya".
                      Signed,

Gregorius

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kazzyk

To some extent I think they are actually surprised that S9 did not catch on--egos being what they are and all.
                        I am still not sure they ever planned going beyond S10 and now realize that S10 can not be justified without drastic action--enter RDA.
                        i do think that they honestly feel and believe that what they created was fantastic and super and special. And in a way it was....but it was not seen that way by many of the long term fans, rather the new ones that are just joining the show and - no offense - don't know any better. Many of them never watched the older seasons and have no idea how much the show has changed and altered

I do think that some fan reaction has been a surprise to the boys. I think that, for example, they expected vala to be 100% embraced, and she hasn't been. the same with cam. I think that, while i'm sure they were aware that he would no more replace jack than jonas replaced daniel, i don't think they expected the backlash against cam's behavior.

Most folks have no issue with cam being in the show, it's how he acts that people have issues with.

Stargate has always existed in the 'reality' of the world. Sam and Jack and Daniel and the kids live in a real city and go to work at a real military base. And the show, until recently, always seemed to take great care in representing the military well...then comes cam getting a dream job not on his qualifications, but on who he knows. then comes landry and lam in the same base and other really blatant flouting of 'reality' and wow, imagine that...folks didn't like it.

And i think many that aren't fond of these bits aren't the new fans, ones that have come from antoher show that are used to totally suspending thier disbelief and not expecting the show to fit into reality....the ones that seem to take the greatest exception to aspects of the show are the long time fans. the ones that are used to and expect this show to fit into the real world.
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius
                          And while we're at it, we'll place them on a living ship that has a stargate. And we'll add puppets and some aliens.

Also we'll rename the series: "Stargate: Moya".
                          if there's a season 11, that's what i bet it'll be

some variation of this that allows them to mimick farscape without actually paying for the rights

sigpic

Comment

if there's a season 11, that's what i bet it'll be

some variation of this that allows them to mimick farscape without actually paying for the rights
                            The sad thing is I actually think they're capable of doing that, which wouldn't be a bad thing if everyone on the production staff would then be replaced by the Farscape team
                            Signed,

Gregorius

sigpic

Comment

they're more than capable. yes, i am a 'glass is half empty' person...but i personally think something like this is precisely why BB an CB were brought on board. Yes, both actors are talented (and their talents likely outstrip the cliche ridden scripts they deal with lately) however i don't think scifi hired them for thier talent. it was because of their fanbase and, totally my opinion, the fact that someone at skiffy seems to be in love with farscape adn wants to recreate it at all costs

If the once mentioned 'third incarnation' spinoff (joe M's interview with a german mag) is anything more than a red herring, i expect it to be cam and vala and tela'c going off on a ship

sigpic

Comment

they're more than capable. yes, i am a 'glass is half empty' person...but i personally think something like this is precisely why BB an CB were brought on board.
                                You're not alone

If the once mentioned 'third incarnation' spinoff (joe M's interview with a german mag) is anything more than a red herring, i expect it to be cam and vala and tela'c going off on a ship
                                Wanna bet it's either an experimental Asgard (Carter Class), a Furling , an Ancient or an Ori vessel? And they'll be lost in the Ori home galaxy, trying to find their way home.
                                Signed,

Gregorius

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X