No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess I was the opposite. I liked season 8...season 7, not so much mainly because of the way RDA's time was used. In that season I felt he was just inserted. Season 8, i felt that things were back to normal.

People have always had complaints and concerns about Stargate. There were things that some fans liked and some things they weren't fond of. However, none of these things actually prevented them from watching the show. Season 9, in my opinion, was totally off track for a lot of fans. It wasn't just one fandom that was upset over the changes, it was many different groups. I think that some or many longtime fans actually stopped watching. Is this just a ploy? I think it was always his intention to return. Many people had said he just needed a break. He said he missed the show. This makes sense. To have TPTB welcome him back makes good business sense.

I have no idea if they can return Stargate to what it used to be. I just think that RDA coming back is a step in the right direction. I guess i really don't care what their motives, if any, were.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
      If Jack of S10 is going to be anything like Jack in seasons 6-8, I'd rather he not be there at all.

Anyway, I think it says nothing but bad things that they're bringing him back for ANYTHING. First of all, it means all those psychotic jackholes waging war in order to get Jack back on the show "or else" are going to claim victory- which means that once again all those hateful stupid damn "campaigns" are going to be justified- and second, it says basically "We're so completely screwed that we can't function without Jack." It's a ratings stunt of the highest degree. All the fans who have stopped watching because Jack isn't on anymore will watch the eps he's in and that will give the show the boost it needs to get renewed yet again and then they can all pat themselves on the back for being so utterly fantastic.

They aren't writing Jack in because he fits the storyline- they're writing him in because they need him.

I think it's a terrible idea and that it's yet another example of TPTB debasing themselves and degrading the show for the sake of a few ratings points.

If I thought they had any actual REASON for bringing him back or if I thought they actually CARED about him/RDA/the fans, that'd be one thing. But I simply can't see it that way. As far as TPTB are concerned, the show is just a money-making franchise and Jack is a way to bring in more money. That's all.

The time for caring about the integrity of the show and its characters is long, long past.
      I agree - TPTB, IMO, are showing their desperation that thier "golden boy and girl" are not doing it for them - in fact IMO their "golden boy and girl" are hurting the show. Along with the bad, actually horrific, writing and storylines we have been fed.
      Last edited by binkpmmc; 29 March 2006, 08:24 PM.

Comment

I put this on another thread but I think it belongs here too. This is my response to someone who said that in the commentary for avalon 1 cooper says this is a new show well here's what I say to that lame excuse for the bad, horrible writing and the excruciatingly bad new characters:

"if they insist on calling it SG1 to glom onto the "longest running sci-fi show" crapola than I expect SG1 not some lame excuse for SG1 and I do not want to hear other lame excuses that this is a NEW show. Then call it a new show, change the name, explain the premise and move on but until they change the name and the characters I will expect SG1 and the high standards they set for 8 seasons (well 7 1/2) and that is not what we are getting, IMO. Now we get mediocre, sci-fi caricatures, lame goofy characters, low-brow humor, ridiculously out of place one-liners from a cowboy, flyboy and a show that is laughed at and openly mocked by many fans and a show that is but a shadow of it's former self.

I think this new show is lame and it is a joke - thank God for the remnants of the original SG1 in the BIG 3 otherwise this whole season would have been a bust and I would have been gone after episode zero since I wouldn't have watched this new show at all. I still watch for the BIG 3 and that's about it now. I will see what happens in S10 but if it goes like S9 (Jack or no Jack, Big 3 or no Big 3) I will be gone as I see it as a watse of my time waiting and hoping for something to return that is not coming back. I just have to fully break the habit of watching for the BIG 3 - those 3 characters that I became invested in and that I came to expect to spend Fridays with for most of the past 8 years (or tape and spend an hour with later) now I just get a tape from a friend and fast forward through most of the show and waste approximately 20-25 minutes most weeks instead of a full hour.

They are indeed doing a disservice to the 8 years (well 7 1/2) of making SG1 an intelligent, well-written drama by still calling this schlock SG1.

Comment

Here's another one that I think fits very well here:

The problem IMO is that SG1 is no longer different - it is one of hundreds of mediocre, or less than mediocre, sci-fi clone shows. It is not Stargate SG1 but unfortunately it still has 3 characters I have become attached too over the past 8 years and I have not yet been fully able to abandon those 3 so they ARE in fact the ONLY reason I still watch. If S10 continues on as S9 has then I will indeed be gone as I have realized that I am indeed wasting my time waiting and hoping for something that will not come.

I found it interesting that the ratings for the season finale, and the second to last ep, 1.8 and 1.9 respectively, did not even garner the same ratings that eps 1 and 2 got (2.1s) so it seems that the show could not even sustain, or capture, the same number of fans that STARTED watching at the beginning of S9 - they were not lured back by the promise of vala, big bombs, big ships, big battles, etc. Rather sad when compared to previous seasons - S8 eps 1 and 2 got 2.4s - the last 2 eps got 2.3 and 2.4 respectively.

Comment

Originally posted by STARGATE7777
            I have no idea if they can return Stargate to what it used to be.
            I've got an idea, it's called new writers and probably a new showrunner. The entire production staff of Stargate has become like Berman & Braga at Star Trek, they've been there for so long they've forgotten what creativity is (The spoiler for 200 proofs that without a doubt) and started thinking of Stargate as a money making machine.

RDA back? I could care less, let them focus more on the character development of the other characters in the show. Let's face it, we know little more about Sam/Daniel/Teal'c than we did in season 6 and we know even less about Mitchell. I think it would be a wise idea for the 200th episode to start with things like character development and continuity instead of what they're planning now.
            Signed,

Gregorius
            Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
            Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
              I agree - TPTB, IMO, are showing their desperation that thier "golden boy and girl" are not doing it for them - in fact IMO their "golden boy and girl" are hurting the show. Along with the bad, actually horrific, writing and storylines we have been fed.
              it's not as much the existence of the new characters. It's how they've been inserted into the show adn written.

cam is a horrible leader and so schizo that i'd be treating him for ADHD and checking to see if he's bi-polar.

Vala...is a fanboy fantasy and it seems that the show runner's adoration of the character/actress blinds them to the flaws in her character

the writers would be fine on thier own, although given the horrible plotholes and sloppy writing it's obvious that they're so overworked that they're aiming for quantity not quality...but coop....coop is a heck of a writer, he just doesnt' seem to have the long standing vision to keep a show on the straight and narrow

These boys seem so entrenched in their 'we're so great' fan club that they can't/won't see that what they think is so great is certainly not seen that way by a good chunk of the fandom
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                These boys seem so entrenched in their 'we're so great' fan club that they can't/won't see that what they think is so great is certainly not seen that way by a good chunk of the fandom
                I think that's the big problem.

If they don't recognize that people are unhappy with the direction the show has taken - the dropping ratings would certainly tip me off - then they are not going to take steps to rectify the situation.

A good few of the mistakes I think the writers have made; Sam not being in command; too much focus on Mitchell and Vala/too little focus on Sam, Daniel and Teal'c; few, if any mentions of Jack; too much of the plot centering around the Ori, etc, can be corrected and the show can be salvaged, at least to a certain extent, but that is never going to happen if the writers continue to convince themselves that their work is great and should be loved by all.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

what they really need is a good beta.

They need to step back, take a good critical look at what they write. Someone needs to read the scripts and and say 'umm, but how did they get out of the prison?????' and make them close the plot holes

It's like everyone is afraid to tell one of their friends that the work is subpar and 'good enough' is the only standard of excellence

sigpic

Comment

cam is a horrible leader and so schizo that i'd be treating him for ADHD and checking to see if he's bi-polar.
                    Wrong, so wrong. He's funny! He's the Joey of Stargate! Don't you know of the swing is themes that was made? We switched to the new exciting concept of Stargate Friends, so we can pull in the viewers that used to watch friends as well. Who needs a serious military person when you've got Joey leading a team.

Vala...is a fanboy fantasy and it seems that the show runner's adoration of the character/actress blinds them to the flaws in her character
                    Wrong again. She's the Rachel of Stargate Friends or the 7 of 9 of Voyager. She's cute and funny and has a remarkeble chemistry with Cam and Daniel. She adds new levels of humour and intelligence to the show, plus now we can explore exciting new story lines filled with relationship problems between the characters.

A good chuck of Fandom? You mean those nitpicking people that complain about the lack of good plots/storylines, character development and continuity? Who needs them when we can attact the mainstream audience. Besides Berman & Braga and George Lucas got away with it, and what they can do the TPTB of Stargate can do better.

[/sarcasm]
                    Signed,

Gregorius

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius
                      Wrong, so wrong. He's funny! He's the Joey of Stargate! Don't you know of the swing is themes that was made? We switched to the new exciting concept of Stargate Friends, so we can pull in the viewers that used to watch friends as well. Who needs a serious military person when you've got Joey leading a team.

Wrong again. She's the Rachel of Stargate Friends or the 7 of 9 of Voyager. She's cute and funny and has a remarkeble chemistry with Cam and Daniel. She adds new levels of humour and intelligence to the show, plus now we can explore exciting new story lines filled with relationship problems between the characters.

A good chuck of Fandom? You mean those nitpicking people that complain about the lack of good plots/storylines, character development and continuity? Who needs them when we can attact the mainstream audience. Besides Berman & Braga and George Lucas got away with it, and what they can do the TPTB of Stargate can do better.

[/sarcasm]
                      Oh so.....if cam is joey and vala is rachel, then sam must be monica, and jack is chandler and daniel is ross and teal'c....well poor teal'c is still in the corner saying 'indeed'

which means that, in the finale, monica will end up with chanler, ross will end up with rachel - didn't she sleep with joey though? - before marrying ross and teal'c....well maybe teal'c can put on a wig and be phoebe????

sigpic

Comment

what they really need is a good beta.

They need to step back, take a good critical look at what they write. Someone needs to read the scripts and and say 'umm, but how did they get out of the prison?????' and make them close the plot holes

It's like everyone is afraid to tell one of their friends that the work is subpar and 'good enough' is the only standard of excellence
                        Good point. I'm sure that plenty of fans would volunteer to act as sounding boards for ideas and to give an honest assessment of whether or not it is a good idea.

Maybe they should do what Xena did in the last season - invite a fanfic writer or two to write some episodes.

Comment

[QUOTE=Gregorius]Wrong, so wrong. He's funny! He's the Joey of Stargate! Don't you know of the swing is themes that was made? We switched to the new exciting concept of Stargate Friends, so we can pull in the viewers that used to watch friends as well. Who needs a serious military person when you've got Joey leading a team.
                          [/quote/

Excuse me while I get my catapult ready with a bushel of rotten tomatoes. NOBODY can be as dim as Joey (if we're talking the guy with the low-watt appliance IQ from the unfunny NBC sitcom)...

NEED BETTER WRITERS. It's like Stargate is getting populated by Jessica Rabbits....

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius
                            Fond as I am of Joey from 'Friends', he is not somebody I would feel confident entrusting with the weekly grocery shopping, let alone the fate of Earth.

Comment

Oh so.....if cam is joey and vala is rachel, then sam must be monica, and jack is chandler and daniel is ross and teal'c....well poor teal'c is still in the corner saying 'indeed'
                              *Nods* Almost correct, Teal'c move to Dakara and is almost never mentioned again by SG-1.

which means that, in the finale, monica will end up with chanler, ross will end up with rachel - didn't she sleep with joey though? - before marrying ross and teal'c....well maybe teal'c can put on a wig and be phoebe????
                              Now you've done it! Don't spoil the big ending where SG-1 defeats the Ori. It turns out the Ori can be defeated by love! So SG-1'll travel to the Ori Galaxy where their pureness turns the Ori into good Ascended. This way everyone'll be happy!
                              Signed,

Gregorius

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                                GREEN!
                                Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

Working...
                                X