S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rogue View Post
    I needed a few "guinness drafts" to make through each "guinness book extra season" ep.

I like that "guinness book extras season". So they got their record and ruined the show in the process. TPTB must be proud.
    you only needed beer-it would take me a full fifth of Johnny Walker Black Label Scotch.
    Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      vala in LITS was 'real'....she wasn't a cliche to prop up j ackson's ego. she was a real woman, struggling with things she'd done and had done to her.

i really wish that we'd have had more jackson-less shows, not to be jacksonless, but to allow vala to be more than his girlfriend.

she had such promise and potential and iMHO, TPTB squandered it to promote Jackson and Vaniel
      Being Jacksonless would have been a happy thing in itself but I agree that Vala did much better when she wasn't surgically attached to his hip. Mind you, she didn't do too well with Mitchell at his reunion but she played well opposite Sam and Teal'c, and alone.

After seeing what CB could do when she was given some decent material to work with, wasting her character as an accessory for Action Jackson seems like even more of a huge mistake.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
        Noooo! This is going to haunt me in my dreams just like Janet/Hammond. Argh. That one purely Don's fault. He told me about how much he wants to draw Teryl in the nude (practically waggled his eyebrows) and then added, "but of course I see her and Amanda as daughters." Mixed messages anyone? Heh, gotta love him.
        do you know how he asked teryl to model???

WOMAN, I WANT TO SEE YOU NEKKID

in his texan accent

don is a lovely man...but he could charm a nun outta her habit
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

in his texan accent

LOL, I could just imagine Teryl's reply
          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
            LOL, I could just imagine Teryl's reply
            Something along the lines of: "Not in your life time."
            Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
              Being Jacksonless would have been a happy thing in itself but I agree that Vala did much better when she wasn't surgically attached to his hip. Mind you, she didn't do too well with Mitchell at his reunion but she played well opposite Sam and Teal'c, and alone.

After seeing what CB could do when she was given some decent material to work with, wasting her character as an accessory for Action Jackson seems like even more of a huge mistake.
              I agree, but I think she worked well with Mitchell as well...I'm thinking along the lines of their scenes in 'The Quest' and I quite liked their work in Bounty (reunion ep right?) as well. But I don't like her opposite Jackson; she's nothing but eye candy and just makes inappropriate comments and sexual innuendos.

(Credit to RepliCartertje for the beautiful sig and to Mala for smilies.)

Comment

in his texan accent

Hehe, oh Don. *pats his head*
                Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

I'm curious to hear what you all think. Let's say there would have been a S11, we know that MS would most likely not have taken part of that season. Do you think Vala would have worked better on the show? Or would she have been a "new" Sam? Meaning she would have been pushed into the background more, now that Jackson isn't around anymore?

I must say, thinking about that....I'm a bit split up. I like to think that I would have started to like Vala a lot more, cause we saw how they wrote her when Daniel wasn't around. But at the same time, I fear they would do the same to her as they did to Sam. With Jack gone they didn't seem to know how to handle her character. And at the same time, perhaps Vala's relationship with the other memebers of SG1 would have expanded and developed into something interesting. More friendship between Sam and Vala perhaps?

Hmm, maybe if Daniel AND the Ori left in S11...bring back Baal as the evil character he was in eps like "Abyss", improve the writing....maybe it could have been a decent season?

Comment

ok, so thinking on a jackson less s11????

i dunno if the vala we saw when jackson wasn't around would stay or not. we all have our opinions on coop's track record with female characters, and we have our opinions on how well he listens to his actors...so i just don't know if vala and sam would grow or if coop would find a new toy that he could play iwht and spin the show around and contiue to ignore the perfectly good ones he had in his hands.

seriously, how long could he have dragged the ori out????

they were too big, too bad, too undefeatable, yet no one likes to watch thier heroes lose every week.

hjonestly, without major retooling, i don't see how s11 could have happened. coop killed off too much of hte show's core.

now, to be fair, if they'd have known earlier that there'd be a s11, then the ori plot would have moved slower and perhaps be sustainable for antoher season, but still, given that he allowed cam to be written like a Janus character, ignored sam since she didn't have a boyfriend, made vala nothing but the girl friend and only let teal'c have stories when he was getting the crap beat out of him, do you really see it going on?

and would you want 20 more eps of Cliche of the Week?
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by saberhagen83 View Post
                      I'm curious to hear what you all think. Let's say there would have been a S11, we know that MS would most likely not have taken part of that season. Do you think Vala would have worked better on the show? Or would she have been a "new" Sam? Meaning she would have been pushed into the background more, now that Jackson isn't around anymore?

I must say, thinking about that....I'm a bit split up. I like to think that I would have started to like Vala a lot more, cause we saw how they wrote her when Daniel wasn't around. But at the same time, I fear they would do the same to her as they did to Sam. With Jack gone they didn't seem to know how to handle her character. And at the same time, perhaps Vala's relationship with the other memebers of SG1 would have expanded and developed into something interesting. More friendship between Sam and Vala perhaps?

Hmm, maybe if Daniel AND the Ori left in S11...bring back Baal as the evil character he was in eps like "Abyss", improve the writing....maybe it could have been a decent season?
                      If there had of been a S11 in my opinion it would not improve regardless of what character changes they made because the root problem was still there, Coop and the boys!! Until they address their own shortcomings nothing will improve substantially.
                      -

Comment

and would you want 20 more eps of Cliche of the Week?
                        True. And I think you are right about how they write the female characters on the show, we have seen that with Sam since S7. And that is what I would fear the most if there would have been a S11, that Vala would suffer the same thing and we still wouldn't get the kind of Vala that could have been. I feel it's a shame they don't have any female writers on the show anymore. I know they used to have in the earlier years. Did they leave as Coop took over? Or was it already just before or when they switched over to SciFi in S6 or so?

Obviously the show it self would possibly have needed some crazy changing in order to survive a S11, some cast, writing/writers and management. In it's current state I agree that it's a massive cliché, and often a parody of itself. And I was never really expecting a S11 anyway, and wouldn't want it the way it is now. I can always think about a possible S11 and what could have been done, but to be realistic changes that should have been done to the show should have been done in S10 after the dissapointment that was S9. They missed the window of opportunity.

Comment

Just because Shanks wasn't contracted doesn't mean he wouldn't be for S11.

However I'd rather have liked to get to know Jacksonless Vala. I liked what I saw of *her*. But I think they'd have just put her with Mitchell. "Limited gene pool" and all that... And that would have been the icing on the cake. By the end of S10 I *abhored* Mitchell and a like/distain for Vala. No thanks.

I'd like to believe they'd have developed the relationships and character pairings. I just don't think so. Indded, the only reason I'm giving SGA S4 is because I'm hoping the new showrunners - lacking the er, intense schedule of the last 3 years - can actually develop those characters. Well, that's the hope. I'd basically given up on getting more than nuggets of anything good on SG-1. Too much baggage re: Michell, Vala (Vaniel)and the (B)Ori and all that...

suse
                          sigpic
                          Mourning Sanctuary.
                          Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                            Just because Shanks wasn't contracted doesn't mean he wouldn't be for S11.

However I'd rather have liked to get to know Jacksonless Vala. I liked what I saw of *her*. But I think they'd have just put her with Mitchell. "Limited gene pool" and all that... And that would have been the icing on the cake. By the end of S10 I *abhored* Mitchell and a like/distain for Vala. No thanks.

I'd like to believe they'd have developed the relationships and character pairings. I just don't think so. Indded, the only reason I'm giving SGA S4 is because I'm hoping the new showrunners - lacking the er, intense schedule of the last 3 years - can actually develop those characters. Well, that's the hope. I'd basically given up on getting more than nuggets of anything good on SG-1. Too much baggage re: Michell, Vala (Vaniel)and the (B)Ori and all that...

suse
                            I think if the show was without Jackson and they still moved Sam to SGA then Vala would have been made into Sam for SG-1 and she would have been attached to Mitchell's hip.

The only new thing would a forth person for SG-1. Enter Ba'al...LOL.
                            Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                              I think if the show was without Jackson and they still moved Sam to SGA then Vala would have been made into Sam for SG-1 and she would have been attached to Mitchell's hip.

The only new thing would a forth person for SG-1. Enter Ba'al...LOL.
                              Well Ba'al on SG1 makes as much sense as Vala being on SG1
                              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Jacksonless S11 would have been very interesting. I'd like to have thought that we'd have gotten the Vala we saw in 'LitS' but I doubt it, as Suse said she probably would've been shipped with another character and that would most probably have been Mitchell. However, it would've been nice to have a 4 person team again, 5 just always seemed like too many and unnecessary.

Ba'al as the new enemy would have been fantastic! I probably would've tuned in just to support that one change - Ori out/Goa'uld back in. I hate the Ori! But as most of you said with Coop running the show I doubt things would have improved significantly, but it would've been nice to have a few episodes that were Sam-centric or Teal'c-centric, seeing as they were wallpapered.

(Credit to RepliCartertje for the beautiful sig and to Mala for smilies.)

Comment

Working...
                                X