S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
    WWWaaaayyyyy Off topic... but you did bring up that Shep is da man.

I played a video game called GRAW (well thats the short form anyway) the character was named Mitchell, I found it disconcerting as I kept rooting for my own death . Just joking, it was ok because he was SCOTT Mitchell....

...... Still with me?

This fall I will be buying a game called Mass Effect, the main character is named John Sheppard he's only a commander, but still I feel much better about him (or her since you can customize, first name too one would assume) being in charge.

Odd that.... S9-S10 have even affected how I feel about characters with specific names.

Rooting for your own death....oh, the pain and agony that TV can inflict on a soul.

Now, to overcome such a tendicy to see Colonel Mitchell offed through a video game, repeat after me: "Go Scott!"
    Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by petemoretti View Post
      So apparently AT confirms Sam/Teal'c relatonship in her "Unending" comentary- So since Teal'c remembers he LOVES Sam now -guess Coop forgot to use the reset switch properly
      *walks runs off disgusted*
      Off-topic -Congrats to Sky on Sam/Teal'c becoming canon
      yay, i won, i won, i won....what'd i win????

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
      I don't see Teal'c telling her about any relationship they may have had, so I doubt they'll do anything else with it in the movies.
      honestly folks....the sam/teal'c in unending was implied on screen. those that don't want to see it, just sees two very close friends. Remember, teal'c is the ONLY person on the team that's never left her. throughout the whole series, those two have been left by the others.

if you ship doesn't swing s/t....dude, they're just two close and good friends

Originally posted by suse View Post
      Don't worry about it. It's only canon if it's on-screen. The commentaries don't really count.

suse

AT made some mention to that at AT2. I'm too lazy to look for the quote but it was along hte line of acknowledging the friendship that those two have...a frendship that has been MASSIVELY ignored by the writers for years. Sam and Daniel hasn't been acknowledged since he died, quite frankly. and evidentally couldn't be. but sam and teal'c has.

who else could sam turn to on the ship?

Spoiler:
      daniel had vala. landry is...ick. cameron blamed her for being trapped...and was quite the git. Teal'c is the only person that likely wasn't on her ass for getting them trapped, not to mention the only person, possibly other htan landry, that wasn't giving her crap at every turn for 'screwing up'

teal'c was the only person that she had.
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

well if it had to be anyone else-Teal'c is the one that I would support.

steady, loyal, observant, caring, loving-gee-how can a girl lose with that?
        Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
          On the other hand... I still hate ship but.... Tam (or Seal'c like silk ) would still make more sense then Daniel/Vala (wouldn’t happen) or even Jackson/Vala (the only time I have seen a relationship like they have is on COPS when people are being arrested for abusing each other).
          LOL! I just had to green you for this...so true!

And as for the whole Sam/Teal'c ship thing, Amanda was just messing about in the commentries. The nature of the relationship between the two is that of deep friendship. They're closer than any other two on SG1.

I think AstraPerAspera sums it up very well here. (Post from another thread discussing the same topic.)

Originally posted by AstraPerAspera View Post
          Chill, people...

Sam and Teal'c have a friendship and a bond that goes for 50++ years...who else is she going to turn to for support when Landry dies? Daniel's got Vala, and Cam...well, he had so much anger at Sam for such a long time, she'd never go there. Who comforted Sam when Jack was lost w/Maybourne? Teal'c. Who came to help Sam when Janet was killed and she had to write her eulogy? Teal'c. Who did she talk to when Daniel ascended and Jack was doing his way of the warrior crap? Teal'c. Who helped her try to find the Asgard when Jack was frozen in Antarctica? Teal'c. We're talking friendship here. The hugging, I'm here for you anytime you need me, type of friendship. Not UST.Not anything like that.

Period.

IMHO.
          Who else would she turn to? Sam and Teal'c are the closest of friends and their scenes in 'Unending' were the only ones that kept the episode from being complete trash. friends forever
          Last edited by Nikki; 22 July 2007, 06:42 PM.

(Credit to RepliCartertje for the beautiful sig and to Mala for smilies.)

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
            yay, i won, i won, i won....what'd i win????

honestly folks....the sam/teal'c in unending was implied on screen. those that don't want to see it, just sees two very close friends. Remember, teal'c is the ONLY person on the team that's never left her. throughout the whole series, those two have been left by the others.

if you ship doesn't swing s/t....dude, they're just two close and good friends

AT made some mention to that at AT2. I'm too lazy to look for the quote but it was along hte line of acknowledging the friendship that those two have...a frendship that has been MASSIVELY ignored by the writers for years. Sam and Daniel hasn't been acknowledged since he died, quite frankly. and evidentally couldn't be. but sam and teal'c has.

Spoiler:
            daniel had vala. landry is...ick. cameron blamed her for being trapped...and was quite the git. Teal'c is the only person that likely wasn't on her ass for getting them trapped, not to mention the only person, possibly other htan landry, that wasn't giving her crap at every turn for 'screwing up'

Oh, I like Sam/Teal'c for all the above reasons. And your stories. I was just pointing out to Pete about the commentary - which was apparently taken out of context anyway.

suse
            sigpic
            Mourning Sanctuary.
            Thanks for the good times!

Comment

honestly folks....the sam/teal'c in unending was implied on screen.
              There was definitely something there in "Unending", I just doubt that TPTB will ever revisit it.

Look at the way they treated Vaniel, which I would have thought was their pet pairing - they show them having a fifty-year relationship, sure, but under extremely unique circumstances and once they're back at the SGC, they make it clear that Vala considers Daniel to be, at best, her fourth choice out of a possible five, bottom of the barrel if she wasn't counting Sam.

those that don't want to see it, just sees two very close friends. Remember, teal'c is the ONLY person on the team that's never left her. throughout the whole series, those two have been left by the others.
              I hadn't thought of that before; Sam and Teal'c are the ones who've been there every step of the way. Daniel was gone in Season Six, Jack left after Season Eight and Mitchell and Vala arrived pretty late in the game. It's a shame that their characters were treated so poorly over the past couple of seasons. They both deserved better.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
              I think that Sam was pretty isolated on that ship, apart from Teal'c. They all were, really. They spent fifty-plus years together but there was very little team. Sam, in addition to having to deal with the loneliness of her situation, also had the burden of having to get them out of their situation, a burden she seems to have had little help with carrying.

I have to say that I loved the way Teal'c wouldn't let Sam be the one who stayed old. It was no surprise, of course, but it was very sweet.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                IMO the show doesn't kill off well liked characters for the sake of the story. Not even for a story device. TPTB kill off liked characters for one reason only--they like to shock the audience.

They like to see us "lemmings" go nuts when they kill off a likeable character. If the actor leaves for another job, the character can be written out without killing them. (Look at season 6--MS left).

Killing of Janet, Jacob, Carson were nothing more than a "shock and awe" device used directly on us--the viewer. I find it very distasteful to kill a character just to "shake things up" in any series.

The blatant disrespect for the actors and fans just proves to me that TPTB have no real idea what they are doing. The writing gets crappy, the directing laps, the acting get's old and they just decide to kill someone off to make it "real."

Well, if I wanted "real" I would be watching CNN right now.

Killing of any character just to get the fans in a frenzy is about as insulting as having TPTB thow you the "bird." It tells me that they don't really care about the people who watch the show or the people acting in the show. We are nothing but a bunch of "mindless lemmings" that have no idea just how difficult it must be to be a writer on this show. We must appreciate just how great of writers they are by their ability to shove mindless, incoherent deaths down our throats and tug at those emotional strings attached when a beloved character dies--for we don't know what death is. We have no comprehension that death happens everyday in this country and we must be show the affects of death on those immediatly affected by death.

Unwavered TPTB must show us that people really do die...HOWEVER, "no one ever really dies on sci-fi" as it was stated.

What they fail to grasp is that most fans are fully aware of just what death is and what it does to families. We tune in the TV to go through the gate and escape our own reality which is full of disappointments, death, and bad drivers on the road. I want to go to another planet and ESCAPE reality. I do not want to see a show where they must prove that it's real by killing off characters.

I do not want to see a show that will preach to me about right and wrong. I do not want to see a show where women are reduced to tight leather outfits and boobs. I don't want to see a show where a main character changes from the "moral Compass" to the "shoot first/let god sort them out" macho man.

I want a show where I can connect to the main characters to a point of those characters seeming to be real people and I want to go along for the ride.
                This was an excellent critique! It sure captured my feelings about a) Janet's needless death and b) the introduction of a fundamentalist religious sect trying to proselytize the world. I do watch CNN and the insanity of our present socio-political situation and the continuous march of reality to the drum beat of radicalism and hatred and never-ending violence find me needing to turn somewhere to rebalance.

As you say, we don't need another dose of "reality TV" being shoved down our throats on our favorite television show. We need escapism and entertainment.

By thinking how "in" and topical they were, the writers turned me off. Sometimes, in this bloody awful world, there is a cry for a "time out". Sometimes less is more. Sometimes a happy ending and a little bit of hope go a long way. Just sayin'.

Comment

"I think mathematical probability is on our side ..."

"Indeed."

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist View Post
                    It's interesting to me that the rerun block Stargate ratings have dropped so low that they aren't worth showing anymore at this time. I wonder how many other folks were impacted as I was with regards to how the last few seasons of SG-1 affected their appreciation and enjoyment of the earlier seasons (which were much more filled with hope and brighter smiles of anticipation).
                    personally? i think that has more to do with the earlier seasons being re-run to death. I mean, skiffy has aired them sometimes 3-4 a day for weeks on end.

and now that folks have dvd's within easy reach, or thier downloaded versions - off itunes or unbox of course - why watch an ad filled re-run when you can have your own on demand?

Ergo Landry's more important to Sam than Jacob!
                    How about Vala's, Daniel's, Cam's reaction to Landry's death??? Or were they trying to forge an AT S/T relationship?
                    I don't quite see that

with jacob she had days/weeks to get used to it...and this is after almost losingh im to cancer years ago, plus all the near misses over the years. I think sam had made her peace with it and accepted it.

however with landry

Spoiler:
                    it was her fault that he was dying. and she was his doctor - the only medic on the ship. so she had the double whammy of knowing that he was dying because of her, having to be the only one caring for him..

even though landry was her CO and jacob her father, landry's death was more personal to sam simply because she had very much a front row seat for it.

she also likely had cam blaming her, and likely felt that daniel and vala were blamng her and she was wallowing in guilt.

sigpic

Comment

If they could replicate anything on the ship why didn't they replicate a Goaul'd healing device, a sarcophagus or an Asgard pod. Or better yet start Landry on tretonin too!

Comment

Guys

I'm understanding that some things were maybe a bit exaggerated in the quotes about RCC. That maybe what was originally quoted was a bit of an exaggeration.

Look, i don't like his work any more than you do...nor do i have the best of opinions of him as a person nor do i really care for his attitude...but we do need to keep our comments focused on his work, not him.

sigpic

Comment

If they could replicate anything on the ship why didn't they replicate a Goaul'd healing device, a sarcophagus or an Asgard pod. Or better yet start Landry on tretonin too!
                          Maybe the subject was broached but Landry didn't want to linger on any longer.

Or else the writers never thought of that.

Comment

but where's the drama in everyoen living forever?

then there'd be no need for teal'c to go back using the rationale that he did -
                            Spoiler:
                            that he could tolerate it since he aged better

how would they rationally show time passing if everyone stayed the same?

It's also possible that the asgard materializer could just make simple stuff, not complex electronics

sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:

It's also possible that the asgard materializer could just make simple stuff, not complex electronics
                              Otherwise they could have made themselves some nice new ZPMs.

Tretonin and a healing device would be temporary measures, more to protect against illness and heal injuries than to extend life spans.

Teal'c should be older than Bra'tac now.

Comment

Spoiler:

I would think, since they were enemies of the Goa'uld, they wouldn't use their technology or make it.
                                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Working...
                                X