No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There were some spoilers for the movie Continuum, which leaves me wondering about Vala

Spoiler:
    In the spoiler, Sam, Cam and Jack are transported back to 1939, and we know that Vala is to be Quetesh in that one. So that totally goes against Family Ties and the discussion we had about her age and how long she has been a Goa'uld. Her father would have had to have been much older, if even alive. So much for any continuity
    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Continuity? I think the stargate space time continuim is locked in the how come room with the Air Force advisor. Someone needs to push that vending machine out of the way, unbrick the wall and let them all out.
      Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

the military advisor is sitting on the contiuity while he's locked in the closet of 'Pesky baggage'

coop and the boys have been making it up as they go along for the past few years. I'm sure AoT will bear his mark of 'to heck with baggage, let's do what we want now and dang the consequences'
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
          the military advisor is sitting on the contiuity while he's locked in the closet of 'Pesky baggage'

coop and the boys have been making it up as they go along for the past few years. I'm sure AoT will bear his mark of 'to heck with baggage, let's do what we want now and dang the consequences'
          kind of like "damn the torpedos-full speed ahead?" or more like "don't panic," cried the Captain of the Titanic, "we're only stopping to take on a little ice."
          Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

It's amazing that after all these years they seem to think we won't notice. Or they just think we're freaks for noticing, I guess. I think of it more like a novel, where if events from earlier in the book suddenly didn't happen or they were referred to as happening at a different time--or characters mysteriously dropped out of a main character's life with no explanation, you'd notice and say "where was the editor?"

Comment

we're just people with issues that can't recognize thier greatness

sigpic

Comment

I;m just findin the whole "we aew now only making 20 eps a year so have time to craft episodes for character development on SGA" hilarious considering what we heard for the last two years was paraphrased"Doing two shows at once really works because we can share sets and save money. There is an enhancement of quality, not loss".

Yeah. Right. Perhaps the set wuality stayed high. But many of the stories for SG=1 *and* SGA blew. But SG-1 more.
                SGA OT:
                Spoiler:
                I'm not 'into" SGA enough to really get truly annoyed. Except about Rodney and/or Shep All The Time
                . As did the character development. What a shock.

I somewhat hope scifithinker saved the tapes for the last several eps. The brother doesn't own a tv so no watchie for susie. But it works out. I've been pub-crawling and white-water rafting.

suse
                Last edited by suse; 12 June 2007, 05:56 PM. Reason: Ack! Spelling! And this was without Happy Hour!
                sigpic
                Mourning Sanctuary.
                Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                  There were some spoilers for the movie Continuum, which leaves me wondering about Vala

Spoiler:
                  In the spoiler, Sam, Cam and Jack are transported back to 1939, and we know that Vala is to be Quetesh in that one. So that totally goes against Family Ties and the discussion we had about her age and how long she has been a Goa'uld. Her father would have had to have been much older, if even alive. So much for any continuity
                  Continuum discussion:
                  Spoiler:
                  How so? This is an AU right? How would her father's age have anything to do with it? If Daniel is there (and Shanks *is* in the movie) they have to get to the "present" somehow. I trust Brad Wright to have a somewhat logical explanation.

suse
                  Last edited by suse; 12 June 2007, 05:56 PM.
                  sigpic
                  Mourning Sanctuary.
                  Thanks for the good times!

Comment

it's all in the spin

last year, heck the last 3 years, yeah, it was all a saving of money and resources which will be so great.

now, of course, that sharing is why things were bad and they'll be so much better now that they ahve half the work

half of 'bad' is still bad...or baa or ad

in the end, whatever they do with the characters won't 'save' or 'kill' sga....it's the stories. and if joe and the boys are still trotting out the frat house 'humor' and copying homaging every other show under teh sun, atl s4 will be as poor as s3 was

these boys ilke their crutches. shep adn rod are the crutches on sga. shep hewo's, rod rants, liz stands quietly in the corner, teyla makes moon eyes at the guys and stands tehre to accentuate her tiny costume. ronon growls and is ready to kill all things wraith and it's predictible.

and as long as joe lets the boys keep their crutches, i don't see much hope for the show no matter how well cast it is.

good actors can make a mediocre script good, but they can't make junk great.

and as long as they think that lucius is a great character, i'm not holding out much hope

sigpic

Comment

it's all in the spin

these boys ilke their crutches. shep adn rod are the crutches on sga. shep hewo's, rod rants, liz stands quietly in the corner, teyla makes moon eyes at the guys and stands tehre to accentuate her tiny costume. ronon growls and is ready to kill all things wraith and it's predictible.
                      Unfortunately, that's true most of the time. And to get on my hobby horse, yet again, it's groupthink with no checks and balances. No one to say, maybe this Lucius character is "too much." No one to say "you know Teyla should be more than a wraith detector."

good actors can make a mediocre script good, but they can't make junk great.
                      Reminds me of a quote from the movie "All About Eve."

Lloyd Richards (playwright): I shall never understand the weird process by which a body with a voice suddenly fancies itself as a mind. Just when exactly does an actress decide they're HER words she's speaking and HER thoughts she's expressing?

Margo Channing (actress): Usually at the point where she has to rewrite and rethink them, to keep the audience from leaving the theatre!

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                        Originally posted by skydiver

It's amazing that after all these years they seem to think we won't notice. Or they just think we're freaks for noticing, I guess. I think of it more like a novel, where if events from earlier in the book suddenly didn't happen or they were referred to as happening at a different time--or characters mysteriously dropped out of a main character's life with no explanation, you'd notice and say "where was the editor?"
                        I couldn't agree more, jckfan!

Either they figure we won't notice, or
                        they figure only freaks would care.

I love your analogy with the novel! The scifi TV series is a long novel (or series of novels), with episodes as chapters. It all builds the saga.

Book authors are held pretty tightly to continuity and to honoring the tapestry that they build. Their fans demand it, love it when it's done properly, and howl in outrage at the mistakes.

So why aren't those who create scifi TV series held to the same standards and expectations? Why does it seem like the Stargate PTB scoff with impunity at the suggestion or reminders of these standards and expectations?

For some bizarre reason, viewers of audiovisual scifi are considered to be of less consequence, less importance, and lower intelligence than those who read scifi book series (or any fictional adventure series)? My experience is that they are often the same pool of folks when it comes to scifi.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                          Unfortunately, that's true most of the time. And to get on my hobby horse, yet again, it's groupthink with no checks and balances. No one to say, maybe this Lucius character is "too much." No one to say "you know Teyla should be more than a wraith detector."

what they need is a good beta

not one of thier own. not a friend who rubber stamps every script with 'cool!!!!!!11'

they need someone to sit down and give it a real critical run through adn go 'huh?' and 'how' and 'why' when they do stuff like...exploding tumors and love potions

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post

Spoiler:
                            I've decided Family Ties is like 200...meaning, outside of "reality."

But then, riddle me this my fellow Stargate fans:
                            Spoiler:
                            if all of 200 was "unreal", then how can Sam have a picture of Daniel from the wedding sequence in her office on Atlantis?
                            I'm just sayin'.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

i told ya..that pesky continuity

it'll get ya every time

sigpic

Comment

i told ya..that pesky continuity

it'll get ya every time
                                i was going to make a horrible joke right here, but i restrained myself.

yes, that was it.

but you see, continuity and canon don't matter, it just has to be fun. entertaining. besides, it's all a game anyway, right cammy?
                                sigpic
                                "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                                Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Working...
                                X