S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
    Maybe they did; didn't RDA sometimes adlib or change his lines? Maybe he knew Jack better than they did.
    You know, I was thinking that too, but of course I have no proof and we may never know...but it does kind of fit.
    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Maybe they did; didn't RDA sometimes adlib or change his lines? Maybe he knew Jack better than they did.
      That's entirely possible. I just wasn't sure if he felt comfortable doing that once S9 came around, considering he was no longer an EP.

Comment

The Navy has commenced on the construction of the Gerald R. Ford a new top of the line aircraft carrier. It is estimated to cost 13 billion dollars and take 8 years to complete.
        So pray tell how does the SGC manage on their paltry budget? And what amazing work crews they must have - they work fast and they are cheap!
        I hate those &*%@#& space ships.
        sigpic
        Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
        My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser View Post
          The Navy has commenced on the construction of the Gerald R. Ford a new top of the line aircraft carrier. It is estimated to cost 13 billion dollars and take 8 years to complete.
          So pray tell how does the SGC manage on their paltry budget? And what amazing work crews they must have - they work fast and they are cheap!
          Clearly the SGC hosted a recruiting fair at the North Pole and were able to persuade Santa's elves to come and work for them - for extremely paltry wages, of course, but it was a step up from what they were getting paid before (nothing). Those little guys can make a few billion toys in a year so a couple of measly space ships should be no problem.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

How did the SCG survive so long without the space ships? How did they get they manage to get from planet to planet? Oh yeah that thing in the corner of the gateroom, the thing with all the cobb webs and dust. I wonder if Walter still knows how to dial out?
            Last edited by Rogue; 23 May 2007, 02:49 PM.
            Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue View Post
              How did the SCG survive so long without the space ships? How did they get they manage to get from planet to planet? Oh yeah that thing in the corner of the gateroom, the thing with all the cobb webs and dust. I wonder if Walter still knows how out to dial out?
              Of course he does. Walter loved being the boss of the 'gate - even if he did humour Hammond and let him think that he was in charge. It makes him sad that he doesn't get to use the gate anymore because now he's stuck dealing with Landry - and nobody deserves that.

Except maybe Lam.

Comment

Yes, old Babs has a lot to answer for.

My other theory, inspired by the Mitchell in "The Road Not Taken", is that it was a publicity stunt that went a little too far. Hayes was smart enough to know that the Stargate Program was going to go public eventually and that when it did, people would probably be pretty ticked off that it had been kept a secret for so long. He didn't have Weir as the face of the SGC anymore and Jack isn't exactly someone who's going to behave for the cameras, so he needed a new poster child.

A pilot who almost died trying to save Earth, who pushed himself to walk again to realize his dream of joining an SG team would be an excellent candidate and if Mitchell had been interested in being on an SG team, chances are some of the people he worked with would have been aware of that.

Maybe Hayes didn't expect Mitchell to specify SG-1, but wouldn't having the poster child on the flagship team be better still? There was an empty spot after all so at some point after "Lockdown", Hayes gave his blessing and let Jack know that SG-1 would have a new member once Mitchell was fit for duty.

Mitchell himself need not have been aware of why he was getting the much sought-after fourth spot on SG-1; he was being offered everything he wanted on a silver plate and wasn't about to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Was Sam deliberately transferred away so that they could go a step further and put Mitchell in the even more prominent position of leader of the flagship or was the timing of her departure just incredibly convenient? We'll never know.

I had to invent a new backstory for a story I'm co-writing and the only logical reason behind Sam's transfer to Area 51 that I could come up with is that she was there primarily to take part in the design and construction of a ship she was intended to command, a top secret project that had to be put on the back burner when Daniel was so helpful as to point out our galaxy to the Ori.

In the absence of an explanation that makes sense, I've adopted it as canon.

That's exactly what it was. Jack studiously avoided giving his own opinion on Mitchell and considering that Jack isn't exactly shy about voicing his opinions, I'd have to wonder what he really thinks about Mitchell.
                I actually wrote a very short "fan fiction" in a thread about Mitchell being brought in to be the "face" of the SGC since none of SG-1 are exactly fit for public consumption as they are so tied up in their jobs.

If I recall in my story Mitchell was made the face of the SGC and given a medal and Jack had drank a bit too much and was dozing off during Mitchell’s thank you address. Thus giving rise to the events in S9 which were actually just Jacks alcohol induced dream.

After Carter nudged O’Neill awake SG-1 decided to ditch the rest of the official “party” to go bowling. Hammond and Major Davis gave them the unhappy command look as they were sneaking out, until they were both invited to go bowling too. For some reason Janet wasn’t in this I don’t think....or maybe she was. I should really find that post and make it an actual fan fiction someplace.
                Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
                  I actually wrote a very short "fan fiction" in a thread about Mitchell being brought in to be the "face" of the SGC since none of SG-1 are exactly fit for public consumption as they are so tied up in their jobs.

If I recall in my story Mitchell was made the face of the SGC and given a medal and Jack had drank a bit too much and was dozing off during Mitchell’s thank you address. Thus giving rise to the events in S9 which were actually just Jacks alcohol induced dream.

After Carter nudged O’Neill awake SG-1 decided to ditch the rest of the official “party” to go bowling. Hammond and Major Davis gave them the unhappy command look as they were sneaking out, until they were both invited to go bowling too. For some reason Janet wasn’t in this I don’t think....or maybe she was. I should really find that post and make it an actual fan fiction someplace.
                  Please tell me that Jack recognized his prophetic dream for what it was and cancelled the whole thing.

Comment

Yes, I have brought those questions up in the past on a tech thread. the reasons why we are able to have mega huge space ships that we can turn out faster than a common car is because we have...drum roll...alien technology and all the free alien resources we need.

Needless to say...I was told we didn't need to ground any of the technology in reality because it's science fiction. And...keeping the show real would make it boring. The fact that it was the shows reality that made the show popular for 8 years didn't count.
                    Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post

I also wrote a fanfic about Mitchell, but I had him acting as the writers wrote him, only this time it showed how dangerous his actions were and that he had to face the repercussions of his actions. Something he has never had to on Stargate
                      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

rda said in an sfx magazine interview

'i hope it doesn't sound arrogant, but i know the voice of my character better than anyone'
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                          rda said in an sfx magazine interview

'i hope it doesn't sound arrogant, but i know the voice of my character better than anyone'
                          Well, no offense to RDA because I really, really like him, but... when the "character" is you, yeah I guess you do know the character better than anyone.

That's not to say that some of his choices with Jack weren't great, because I actually enjoyed a lot of what he did with the character. But, and again I mean this with the utmost respect, I think there's a fine line between acting and... acting.

But do I prefer his Jack over their Jack Wannabe(s)? Most definitely.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                            Yes, I have brought those questions up in the past on a tech thread. the reasons why we are able to have mega huge space ships that we can turn out faster than a common car is because we have...drum roll...alien technology and all the free alien resources we need.

Needless to say...I was told we didn't need to ground any of the technology in reality because it's science fiction. And...keeping the show real would make it boring. The fact that it was the shows reality that made the show popular for 8 years didn't count.
                            But see it *used to* have at least *some* basis in reality. That's one of the things IMHO that made it a cool show. Remember when they got Prometheus (after years) and it still had many limitations? You could hide one ship & the program to build it, but now they practically have a fleet and no word has leaked out? To build that many ships they'd have to be on a WWII war economy footing.

As far as consistency with the premise of the show--it was about going to other planets through the GATE not in spaceships. I thought they sometimes went a bit far with being able to run goau'ld ships, but having a whole space fleet (and don't get me started on beaming tech) is just not the show I started watching.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                              But see it *used to* have at least *some* basis in reality. That's one of the things IMHO that made it a cool show. Remember when they got Prometheus (after years) and it still had many limitations? You could hide one ship & the program to build it, but now they practically have a fleet and no word has leaked out? To build that many ships they'd have to be on a WWII war economy footing.

As far as consistency with the premise of the show--it was about going to other planets through the GATE not in spaceships. I thought they sometimes went a bit far with being able to run goau'ld ships, but having a whole space fleet (and don't get me started on beaming tech) is just not the show I started watching.
                              At least with stealing Goa'ud ships, it was still keeping in character with the show.
                              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                                At least with stealing Goa'ud ships, it was still keeping in character with the show.
                                Yes,they had to go through the gate and fight for one. Plus they always lost the ship somehow and were never able to keep one for very long.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X