S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gatetrixer View Post
    Shanks did appear in two episodes in S6. Was it the same with ratings for both of them?
    If I remember correctly, MS appeard in these eps in S6:

Abyss: 1.5
    The Changeling: 1.7
    Full Circle: 1.8

Nothing spectacular there. Most of the episodes that season (at least half) scored 1.7-1.9 in ratings, although yes it did have a few 1.4 or so as well. So that pretty much says that MS doesn't do that much for ratings. I think it's a lot more to do with other programing, lack of interest and real life stuff that really do affect the ratings.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser View Post
      I for one thought the lack of advertising was a rather bogus argument so you will excuse me while I munch while I type.
      I agee. I think the "they didn't advertise" argument is over-used.

I only watch SciFi for Stargate and BSG - tried some of their other offerings and found them not to my taste. The only way I knew RDA was on the few episodes of SG-1 or SGA was from GW or by watching Stargate on SciFi. How would a casual viewer know to tune in? I've never seen SciFi ads on other stations. I use the newspaper to see what's on and channel surfing (over 100 stations) takes so long the show if half over by the time I find it.
      SciFi does on-air promotions on their own network very heavily. You may not watch their other shows, but other people do, as evidenced by the ratings published every Monday. Many of them are casual/once in a while viewers of Stargate. RDA usually gets prominence in the promos and those casual viewers would see the ads. They are certainly run enough.

BTW--whoever corrected me on the # of MS appearances from Season 6, Thanks. I guess I was a casual viewer myself not to remember more than one.

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant View Post
        I agee. I think the "they didn't advertise" argument is over-used.

SciFi does on-air promotions on their own network very heavily. You may not watch their other shows, but other people do, as evidenced by the ratings published every Monday. Many of them are casual/once in a while viewers of Stargate. RDA usually gets prominence in the promos and those casual viewers would see the ads. They are certainly run enough.

BTW--whoever corrected me on the # of MS appearances from Season 6, Thanks. I guess I was a casual viewer myself not to remember more than one.
        Yes, their self promotional ads are quite tedious and sometimes a bit misleading.

The Grace kiss was promoted so much I thought it would be a snog of monumental proportions but the kiss in the ad seemed longer than the kiss in the episode (too bad).
        sigpic
        Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
        My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
          Having tetronin become a addictive substance is a great idea. I wish I had thought of that one. I might even use that one in a fic...if I ever get back to writing any.
          well, the show already did that. the original tretonin, made from 'ground goa'uld' in The Cure was addictive in that it replaced the person's immune system just like a goa'uld did. once you started taking it, you had to keep taking it forever.

now the jaffa use a tok'ra made version - presumably not from ground goa'uld - but imagine what it'd be like if someone was running around handing out tretonin to all and sundry....limited aging, advanced healing, health, etc...and you just need an injection a day.

and i agree, cloning ba'al was a bone head idea and it changed the cool villian into a lampoon. baal USED to be sinister but now he's a joke (a cute joke but a joke none the less)

and yeah, the 'worship or die' bit...if coop hated the goa'uld so much, why echo them and their motivations??? he basicaly took the goa'uld, homogenized them into blandness, then tried to pimp them as the greatest thing since sliced bread. if he'd have given half hte attention to making them 'real' that he did telling us how wonderful they were, maybe they'd be more than a glorified plot device.

and adria???? IMHO adria was little more than compensastion....they had to tone vala down, so let's make sure that we can intro the scantily clad sexy bad girl to spice things back up
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser View Post
            Yes, their self promotional ads are quite tedious and sometimes a bit misleading.

The Grace kiss was promoted so much I thought it would be a snog of monumental proportions but the kiss in the ad seemed longer than the kiss in the episode (too bad).
            And then there was that ad for Heroes that made it seem as if it was Jack who was killed.

Comment

yeah, the ads seem to be deliberately misleading

I know that it's not unusual. in fact, i've seen network shows run differently phrased promos for re-runs...that try to make the eps sound like something new instead of a repeat

but skiffy seems to delight in making the promos as cheesy as possible

sigpic

Comment

They made stronghold seem like it would be a teal'c ep.
                They made Duet seem like it would be a Ronon ep.

They do that a lot now a days. Bait and switch. Not that its always bad, Duet was decent. But I was in no way prepared for the horror that was stronghold.
                Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

and last week the promo for LITS downplayed the sam aspect of it.

it'll be interesting, when it re-runs, if they make a promo that emphasizes the sam story part of it

sigpic

Comment

I always find myself tuning out the promo adds. They are never what is led to be.

But, the whole channel is not what it's supposed to be. ECW? Passions? Law and Order?

The channel really is hurting to put on decent programing. We have the creature feature and the campy originals along with the "newest" thing to torment us with.

The new scheduling was a disaster for the channel. They seemed to have forgotten that people are creatures of habit. One would sit down to watch their TV show at the same time, same night and same channel. If the show is not there--one would click the remote and see what else is on. It's almost like Skiffy forgot that there are OTHER channels to watch on tv.
                    Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

or like the folks that run it are ashamed of it, so are running anythinhg and everything but scifi to avoid acknowledging who they are.

scifi is not horror. it's not cheesy disaster movies. and it's certainly not law and order and wrestling

they don't like airing scifi cause it's so mocked and disrespected...yet while they have the power to change the perception of scifi, they don't seem to want to change it. they dont' seem to want to break that stigma that scifi has. if anything, they perpetrate it

scifi is its own worst enemy

sigpic

Comment

You know, I liked the movie Lake Placid, but now I see a commercial on SciFi for their original movie Lake Placid 2 and I just cringe
                        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc View Post
                          so disappointing to see such a great show go out on such a sad note with the ratings simply tanking - it really is too bad that they drove the show into the ground the way they did after season 8 did so well. I hope cooper is happy.
                          I'm disappointed that the show has gone from spectacular to craptacular but I can't bring myself to be disappointed about the falling ratings.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

i consider the ratings to be a 'told you so'

not that i honestly expect or expected tptb to listen to the ravings of a bunch of 'stupid fen with issues' (paraphrased) but there is a certain amount of satisfaction in having numbers support your opinion

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                              i consider the ratings to be a 'told you so'

not that i honestly expect or expected tptb to listen to the ravings of a bunch of 'stupid fen with issues' (paraphrased) but there is a certain amount of satisfaction in having numbers support your opinion
                              I understand that most of the season is made before the first episode is aired and by then it's too late for TPTB to make changes if, for example, the viewers don't like Landry's characterization or don't like the switch to Arthurian mythology but there are some things that they shouldn't have needed an oracle to predict that there was a better than fair chance that fans would not respond well to - demoting Sam, all but erasing Jack from the SG-1 history books, burning the SG-1 history books and dancing on the ashes, focusing almost exclusively on the shiny new characters and neglecting the established characters, etc.

I have no sympathy for TPTB in that respect.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

i'm right with you on that. I don't think there is very many that doubted that things were gonna change when RDA left and they basically bumped off other fave characters-but please-a little thought concerning the characters goes a long way.

they wouldn't have made Cam being more a bumbling fool had they called him Doofus McTwoshoes.

It was like-OMG-we have to come up with new characters fast-they won't notice.

uh guys-we've noticed.
                                Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

Working...
                                X