No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what actor wouldn't like it if they actually got to do more than stand in the background and just fill space?

back in the 'good old days' tptb were able to juggle all the characters. Even if it was a heavy daniel episode, such as FIAD, we still got to see how his situation effected his friends. When one was the focus, the other 3 were's shunted to the background and forgotten.

They haven't been doing that since coop took over. For him, it seems to be all or nothing. Grace, Lifeboat, Enemy Mine, all are examples of a focus on only one aspect of the show.

At least with LITS, the B plot had some true purpose. The characters that weren't the focus had something to do beyond just standing there and, wonder of wonders, they were allowed to interact with each other.

When we have hte Vaniel hour, we don't get much more THAN the Vaniel hour. Fantastic for the characters, the actors that play them and those that enjoy them. They have something to do when they come to work beyond just standing on tehir mark and trying not to fall asleep while others are the focus.

the show USED to be balanced. Each eps would have a little something for everyone. But we don't get that with Vaniel. If Vaniel is there, the show is all about Vaniel. But if Daniel is gone, then vala is free to interact with the others and it makes a more rounded show.

I loved the VAla bits in LITS. the smart con-artist got to come out to play since, i can only guess, flirty immature vala is only present when Vaniel is there.

Cameron got to be more than a cliche and we got to look into what makes him tick.

LITS shows that they still know how to make episodes like i enjoy...As did Uninvited. It's just funny that the absence of Action Jackson coencides with episodes that are more rounded and seem to have a broader appeal
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mapsc View Post
      One Sam heavy episode in 2 years. If I was AT I'd be happy too.
      I wasn't espousing that opinion (the more Sam episodes the better)
      I was pointing out the double standards.
      MS says he wants more Daniel, he's lampooned. There are places on the web where I won't go because of the actor/character bashing. I don't like to think of Gateworld in those terms.

FF Who's fairly sure there is something in the forum rules about respecting the actors, all of them, not just the ones you like.
      sigpic

Comment

Imagine how happy CJ would be if he had an actual episode. He hasn't had an episode in three maybe four years. I think that last real Tea'c ep was the one CJ wrote when Daniel went to Ascension land.

It would be neat to see an epi with just Sam and Teal'c. maybe the two stranded someplace. Teal'c out of Tetronin and Sam needs to find him a symbiont or Teal'c will die.

It would be intresting to see them act in a "drama" together.
        Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
          Imagine how happy CJ would be if he had an actual episode. He hasn't had an episode in three maybe four years. I think that last real Tea'c ep was the one CJ wrote when Daniel went to Ascension land.

It would be neat to see an epi with just Sam and Teal'c. maybe the two stranded someplace. Teal'c out of Tetronin and Sam needs to find him a symbiont or Teal'c will die.

It would be intresting to see them act in a "drama" together.
          I'd give anything for a Sam/Teal'c on the lam episode.
          Funny enough, I think there would be potential in a Sam/Vala episode too.

FF
          sigpic

Comment

Sam and Teal'c (speaking as an unapologetic sam/teal'c shipper/friendshipper.....all 6 of us i think ) is probably one of the most underutalized relationships on the show.

THere is such a fantastic connection between the two of them, but it's something that fans of it can only get every few years or so...and even then it's just a scene here or there. Sam and Teal'c are fantastic together but they are largely ignored

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Frostfox View Post
              MS says he wants more Daniel, he's lampooned. There are places on the web where I won't go because of the actor/character bashing. I don't like to think of Gateworld in those terms.

FF Who's fairly sure there is something in the forum rules about respecting the actors, all of them, not just the ones you like.

Actually, what I mentioned was that MS wanted to have more time with Vala in season 10, like he had in the first five episodes of season 9. I also mentioned that I didn't blame him because he likes to work with CB, but that I, as a viewer, do not want to see Daniel/Vala any more than I already do. I think too much Daniel/Vala with little interaction between Daniel/other and Vala/other has hurt the show. But in no way was this MS bashing. I just disagree with his preference for wanting more Daniel WITH Vala.

Comment

Sam and Vala would be good. Not Sam/Vaniel...not the immature little school girl with the pigtails. VALA, the ex host, ex system lord...tossing it down with the ex host, ex tokra.

the two of htem could be great together, because sam is everything that vala isn't and vice versa.

sam/teal'c and sam/vala are both the pairing of opposites.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc View Post
                  Actually, what I mentioned was that MS wanted to have more time with Vala in season 10, like he had in the first five episodes of season 9. I also mentioned that I didn't blame him because he likes to work with CB, but that I, as a viewer, do not want to see Daniel/Vala any more than I already do. I think too much Daniel/Vala with little interaction between Daniel/other and Vala/other has hurt the show. But in no way was this MS bashing. I just disagree with his preference for wanting more Daniel WITH Vala.
                  I agree with you, I also think too much Vala/Daniel is bad for the program, it wasn't your post I was talking about.

FF
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    Sam and Vala would be good. Not Sam/Vaniel...not the immature little school girl with the pigtails. VALA, the ex host, ex system lord...tossing it down with the ex host, ex tokra.

the two of htem could be great together, because sam is everything that vala isn't and vice versa.

sam/teal'c and sam/vala are both the pairing of opposites.
                    They had such a good opportunity, had they chosen to use it - a Tok'ra started a rebellion against Questesh and then she (and Vala) were tortured before the Tok'ra came to the rescue and removed the symbiote.

What if Jolinar had been that Tok'ra? Or Selmak?

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

i'm not sure it's really a double standard. at least the what i'm thinking of, if this isn’t what you (anyone) is saying…well then, i’m not speaking for you, am i?
                      most actors like their character to be used heavily. that doesn't seem to be what MS is saying. he likes Vaniel, and (perhaps in part because) he likes that it makes his character more like him and less like the character he's played for so long. (if i'm wrong about this, please point it out.) that, IMO, isn't what an actor should think. actors should fight for what's best for they're character (as long as they don't say, loose they're pay/job, etc). if AT thought like MS, i'd draw the same conclusion. but she doesn't. she likes Sam eps, but well-rounded ones (especially [all] character focused). she also wants Sam to Sam, and she's fought for that before. if MS did so, i'd respect him just as much. as for forum rules, i find what i say about him to be no worse--in fact, much better--than what many people say about TPTB constantly.
                      sigpic
                      "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                      Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

It's common for the actors to like best the episodes their character is heavily featured in.
                        I was just reading an interview with Amanda where she was saying that her favourite in the second half of this season is the upcoming Road Not Taken, a Sam heavy episode. I don't see anyone being critical of her for having that opinion; neither am I, if I was an actor, I would want episodes focusing on my character too (and I'm so looking forward to that episode, that would be three above average episodes in a row, not something I was expecting this season).

Gee, you mean AT likes it when she is the near sole focus of the show... Who would have thunk it?

FF
                        Exactly. MS being happy about the episodes doesnt mean the eps are any good, it just means that he likes to be focused on. Actors in general are actors because they like the spotlight. So it doesnt suprise me at all that MS said he likes the eps with CB. Eps that hightlight his character and which he may think makes the character shake its previous (successfull although he doesnt seem to see it that way) image.
                        Last edited by AGateFan; 20 January 2007, 12:40 PM.
                        Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Teal'c has been ignored for the most part since season 7 ior before. The good Teal'c scenes were Teal'c/bra'tac and Teal'c/Ray'tac--Teal'c/Jack.

They have never really had a good solid Teal'c/Sam episode in the ten years of the show.

Even in fanifics Teal'c is virtually ignored. The most I have written for him is when I had him in charge of a ship that was falling apart.

Just wish there was more depth to the character.

Sam had depth--a long time ago--in a galaxy far, far a way. They have sidelined her far too much this last two seasons. I used to love the scenes with Jacob and Sam. They had nice scenes...and so did Janet.

Seems like the show is really good at getting rid of the re-occuring actors that actually added depth to the show.
                          Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Exactly. I'm sure all actors have fun when their character is featured heavily, and there's nothing wrong with saying that. As has been pointed out, Daniel was featured heavily in FIAD, but we still got to see how it affected the other characters; Daniel got to interact with them all. I have no issue with some Daniel-centric episodes. The issue is the entity known as "Vaniel" which seems to exclude either of them having any meaningful interaction with the other members of the team.

So no, definitely not Michael Shanks bashing on my part, but yes, surprise that he would want more of the entity that seems like it takes over the show (for a segment of viewers), especially when he's been quoted before as saying his concern was what was best for the show; that the team was the important thing.

Comment

IMO, it up to the show runner to determine the allocation of character interaction so that one set doesn't dominate the show. I am sure each actor has his/her favorite pairing, but having Daniel only interacting with Vala and Sam only interacting with Cam and so forth make a very boring and uneven show. This is after all a show about SG-1, the team, not Vaniel or any other pairing.
                              Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue View Post
                                IMO, it up to the show runner to determine the allocation of character interaction so that one set doesn't dominate the show. I am sure each actor has his/her favorite pairing, but having Daniel only interacting with Vala and Sam only interacting with Cam and so forth make a very boring and uneven show. This is after all a show about SG-1, the team, not Vaniel or any other pairing.
                                Exactly. Every show runner is going to have his or her favourites, but they can't let that affect their judgement about what's best for the show as a whole.

Sam's my favourite character but if I had been show runner, I hope that I would have been able to understand that no matter how much I, or the Sam fans like Sam, they do not make up the whole fanbase. Better to provide something for everyone than a feast for a few and famine for the rest.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Working...
                                X