S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
    I can just see it...his eyes glow, his voice goes deeper and he says "Luke Sam I am your father"

LOL, that would be funny. They should have done that in 200--but had Jack do it to Daniel.

Jackie gets a doop voice, "Daniel, I-am your father." long pause, "Sam is your sister and Teal'c is your mother." Teal'c lifts an eyebrow, "It is true, Daniel. Jaffa men are the carriers of the young."

Anyways, I read the third series latest update and they alot and sy NOTHING at all. Absolute waste of internet space. The whole article could have been condensed into one paragraph. "Cooper and Wright report that the next series will happen if the money is there." Ecuse me, one sentance.

Perhaps they know fans will take what little they say and make it into a production. (Like the save Weir thread) My god--that's embaracing.

We do know they are planning a 3rd series but the money is still in the air. We also know they will be using the 2nd movie, Continuum as a spring board. They also said it would be in the universe of SG-1 but it will Open up a whole new Galaxy. (Personally--sounds like load of crud to me)

I will take the wait and see approach to the 3rd series. The only GOOD year out of SGA was 1st season, when RDA produced it (I believe he had some hand in it)

After RDA left BOTH SGA and SG-1 tanked as far as under used cast and over used old plots. Though most of the better writing seemed to be on SGA.

I would have to agree that Jackson is not Daniel. Jackson is IMO partly due to Shanks wanting more of a action type hero. (I can understand that--if his kids watch the show he wan't to show off a little for them. Don't want you kid to watch the show and see Daddy as a whimp.) However, the Jackson character has lost Daniel in it's transformation. Charaters do evolve over time. Progress is part of story telling--but, it needs to be kept in character.

The show never addressed why replicator Oma asked Daniel if he knew why he was called AAron when he was ascended. I really was hoping for a plot out of that. AAron was Moses's brother. He carried a rod--makes you wonder!

On the plus side I have taken down notes on the nerdy "Vala" character we came up with and plan on using her in my own work. Think I might go with Verna or Vera. Have decided on a last name yet. But she will work out nicely in the second part of the series. (yahoo!)
    Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
      LOL, that would be funny. They should have done that in 200--but had Jack do it to Daniel.

Jackie gets a doop voice, "Daniel, I-am your father." long pause, "Sam is your sister and Teal'c is your mother." Teal'c lifts an eyebrow, "It is true, Daniel. Jaffa men are the carriers of the young."
      This would have made '200' a hoot.
      Anyways, I read the third series latest update and they alot and sy NOTHING at all. Absolute waste of internet space. The whole article could have been condensed into one paragraph. "Cooper and Wright report that the next series will happen if the money is there." Ecuse me, one sentance.

Perhaps they know fans will take what little they say and make it into a production. (Like the save Weir thread) My god--that's embaracing.

We do know they are planning a 3rd series but the money is still in the air. We also know they will be using the 2nd movie, Continuum as a spring board. They also said it would be in the universe of SG-1 but it will Open up a whole new Galaxy. (Personally--sounds like load of crud to me)
      In the words of Teal'c "Our reality is the only one of consequence" and I think our galaxy as well. One of the things that I liked the most about Stargate was the fact that it occured in the supposed here and now.
      I will take the wait and see approach to the 3rd series. The only GOOD year out of SGA was 1st season, when RDA produced it (I believe he had some hand in it)

After RDA left BOTH SGA and SG-1 tanked as far as under used cast and over used old plots. Though most of the better writing seemed to be on SGA.

I would have to agree that Jackson is not Daniel. Jackson is IMO partly due to Shanks wanting more of a action type hero. (I can understand that--if his kids watch the show he wan't to show off a little for them. Don't want you kid to watch the show and see Daddy as a whimp.) However, the Jackson character has lost Daniel in it's transformation. Charaters do evolve over time. Progress is part of story telling--but, it needs to be kept in character.
      Would it be nice to see an intellectual action hero - whoops - that's Sam Carter isn't it.
      sigpic
      Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
      My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue View Post
        I read BW interview stating that if rating had been better there would have been a S11. That statement just made me think about all the bad decisions made in S9 and how good the show could have been if the right decisions were made. I know they can't please everyone, but they lost 30% of their regular viewers and proceeded to piss off most existing fan bases. If they wanted to write a new show, they should have saved their great ideas for the third series and left SG-1 alone.
        I couldn't agree more. That was my attitude regarding the cancellation. I thought that if they did go ahead with a S11, chances were very great that it'd be more of the same tripe stuff and I probably wouldn't have watched anyway. Now, if they had left SG-1 alone and it'd been up to S1-8 levels of quality, I would have been a lot more broken up about it.

Comment

Agreed. I know that a change of character was inevitable considering all he's been through over the seasons, but he's almost completely unrecognizable to me...

The show never addressed why replicator Oma asked Daniel if he knew why he was called AAron when he was ascended. I really was hoping for a plot out of that. AAron was Moses's brother. He carried a rod--makes you wonder!
          Hee hee... I probably heard wrong but I thought she'd said "Arom" (sp?) which is what the people on that planet where he descended were calling him (though as it means naked one I guess it doesn't really have anything to do with what replicator Oma said...).

On the plus side I have taken down notes on the nerdy "Vala" character we came up with and plan on using her in my own work. Think I might go with Verna or Vera. Have decided on a last name yet. But she will work out nicely in the second part of the series. (yahoo!)
          Or Velma! Have her go around saying "Jinkies!" all the time or "Hey, my glasses...!" *gropes around for fallen/misplaced eyewear*

Comment

Originally posted by JessM View Post
            I couldn't agree more. That was my attitude regarding the cancellation. I thought that if they did go ahead with a S11, chances were very great that it'd be more of the same tripe stuff and I probably wouldn't have watched anyway. Now, if they had left SG-1 alone and it'd been up to S1-8 levels of quality, I would have been a lot more broken up about it.
            Yeah, I'm the same way. I'm not upset it got cancelled but I would have been if I was still enjoying it like the earlier seasons.

The thing that really irks me is I know that they are capable of producing better material so why don't they?????? Take the last episode I saw - Line In The Sand.

It was the first episode since "the new direction" that I will happily rewatch. Why? Due to a lot of elements being included that we (in general) have been complaining about being missing.

A team feeling. Nod to history. Good character moments. Standard type sci fi plot but decently executed. AND it came from the AM PdL duo that I have come to dread.

Was it the best eva!! No, certainly not but it was a decent episode. Some things could have been improved but there was nothing that really jarred me out of my belief zone. Hey, I even liked Mitchell as an officer in this and THAT is saying something. Like I've been saying for quite a while if they just make a little effort they can return to the quality of "Classic" SG-1.

Sadly it took them 32 episodes to get to this point and I'm not holding my breath that I'll get anymore eps of this calibre but I can sure hope.

My next worry is that with SG-1 (TV series) finished what are they going to do to Atlantis - did they actually learn anything or are we still going to have to blame magnets for everything
            -

Comment

I was shocked to hear BW mention ratings and not scheduling or advertising as the reason for no Season 11.I always laugh when people mention SG-1 went down hill when it was not shown on the same night with Atlantis and BSG.The ratings were bad for SG-1 and Atlantis when the shows were on with BSG.If SciFi has nothing to do with these DVD Movies there is no excuse for Bridge to not produce two good Movies.I always felt SciFi was the major cause of the problems with Season 9 and 10.I think SciFi was behind the Mitchell and Vala characters and the direction of the Shows in Season 9 and 10.

Comment

Oh, I agree regarding this latest episode. I even appreciated Vala more, which seems to be the norm now for her and Daniel whenever they aren't one half of Vaniel. It was great seeing her interact more with the other characters for a change. Sadly I know it's not something that they're going to reproduce for the remaining episodes, and it bugs me as well that they're capable of making better stuff but fall into this rut.

The things I've heard about Atlantis for next season (and seen so far of the rest of S3) don't sound too promising and it makes me worry that they'll do to that show what they did to SG-1. I guess there's an outside chance that I may be wrong, but it's still something I worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by ses110 View Post
                  I was shocked to hear BW mention ratings and not scheduling or advertising as the reason for no Season 11.I always laugh when people mention SG-1 went down hill when it was not shown on the same night with Atlantis and BSG.The ratings were bad for SG-1 and Atlantis when the shows were on with BSG.If SciFi has nothing to do with these DVD Movies there is no excuse for Bridge to not produce two good Movies.I always felt SciFi was the major cause of the problems with Season 9 and 10.I think SciFi was behind the Mitchell and Vala characters and the direction of the Shows in Season 9 and 10.
                  While those things (scheduling) may have been very minor factors, I always felt that this "new direction" for Seasons 9 and 10 was the main problem. I wouldn't doubt that SciFi was partly to blame for that. I thought I heard that someone (was it Coop?) loved CB and Vala after her appearance in Prometheus Unbound and had planned for her to come back again - then had the perfect excuse with AT taking maternity leave, etc. So I don't doubt the boys at Bridge had something to do with it, but it's possible that SciFi has some of the blame there as well.

Comment

I agree JessM that the "new direction" has been a problem more so than promotion. You can promote all you want, but if the show stinks people won't continue watching it. We die hards keep watching it waiting for those glimmers of the old spirit and stories, but not everyone is that patient.

Comment

The new direction is a result of a new show. They even wanted to change the name to Stargate Command--I wish they had. That way it would be easier to talk about Stargate without getting into season 9 and 10 as the reason for it's demise.

Simply the reason it changed dierction is becuase it was no longer SG-1. If the producers and writers had taken a year off between 8 and what became season 9 and properly retooled it and then placed it on the air under the new name and new direction it would have been far better.

The biggest mistake made was the lack of fore warning to the common veiwer. The only reason I knew about the chnages is because of these boards. there was no big campain everything had changed. For weeks on end, people were comming to the boards to find out what happened to Jack.

When the fans found out he left the show and then realized the show was no longer SG-1, as we knew it, many people just walked away. Only us "die hards" are still around. Still holding out a glimmer of hope that we will get one more "classic" episode before the final curtain call.

So--that covenant record the series just had to have was it's ultiment down fall. If they had waited and then released Stargate Command (providing the scripts were good) the new show could have been going into season 3.
                      Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                        Was it the best eva!! No, certainly not but it was a decent episode. Some things could have been improved but there was nothing that really jarred me out of my belief zone. Hey, I even liked Mitchell as an officer in this and THAT is saying something. Like I've been saying for quite a while if they just make a little effort they can return to the quality of "Classic" SG-1.
                        I think that Mitchell is always going to be a better officer and character if they don't try to force him as hero/leader and instead just let him be a member of the team, an officer who may not always make the right decision but whose intentions are good, somebody who is new to the team and trying to fit in, but who is learning as he goes.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

I read that MS said in the recent TV zone interview that he wished that Daniel and Vala had more interaction with one another in season 10 like they did in the beginning of season 9.

I have to admit, that is the last thing I would want, but I know MS loves to work with CB. I feel that there is already way to much Daniel/Vala relationship stuff on the show---I can't imagine having more of it---especially of the type they had in the beginning of season 9.

For me, Daniel/Vala can't carry the show -- they have been the main relationship in the show in season 9 and the first half of season 10 and the ratings went down. The team got lost in the shuffle and this relationship has been front and center until the second half of season 10 with episodes like Line in the Sand and The Road Not Taken. Finally, in the second half we may see a bit more team and a bit more balance between all the characters---one can hope.

Comment

i'm happy that the two actors like working with each other. But, from my cynical and jaded POV, there's already TOO MUCH Vaniel.

One of the main reasons i liked Line in the Sand....everyone had something to do. Vala had a pertinent part and set off a plot thread that i think will be very important. CAm and Sam had some good moments. so did Teal'c and the villager (he was the only one slightly short shrifted)

I look at the drama of LITS and then remember hte Camp that is Vaniel and wonder just how much one aspect would have altered the other. cause if LITS had been camped up...the eps woulda sucked.

I think it's a bit of the dichotomy that the show suffers from.

vala is put forth as the super smart ex-host, con artist...that perpetually acts like a spoiled brat.

cameron is this super duper action hero and wonderful leader...who's a goofball

In other words, the characters act the opposite of what they're supposed to be.

And we have hte oh so dramatic ori storyline...that's been camped up to the point of silliness. in LITS that didn't happen. Instead of a superficial 'ooh, the evil priors will hurt people' we got to know and see the people they were gonna hurt. And if you know and see them, then you care about what happens to them. (this is why i found icon boring. the story depended on the audience giving a fig about hte civil war on the planet. but none of the characters were more than superficial so who cared who 'won' and who 'lost'...they were shallow little disposible things)

We get TOLD that the story is one thing, and then get shown just the opposite.

and then TPTB wonder why we sit there and go HUH?????

What they're telling us the show is supposed to be doesn't mesh with what they're showing us
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                              i'm happy that the two actors like working with each other. But, from my cynical and jaded POV, there's already TOO MUCH Vaniel.

One of the main reasons i liked Line in the Sand....everyone had something to do. Vala had a pertinent part and set off a plot thread that i think will be very important. CAm and Sam had some good moments. so did Teal'c and the villager (he was the only one slightly short shrifted)

I look at the drama of LITS and then remember hte Camp that is Vaniel and wonder just how much one aspect would have altered the other. cause if LITS had been camped up...the eps woulda sucked.

I think it's a bit of the dichotomy that the show suffers from.

vala is put forth as the super smart ex-host, con artist...that perpetually acts like a spoiled brat.

cameron is this super duper action hero and wonderful leader...who's a goofball

In other words, the characters act the opposite of what they're supposed to be.

And we have hte oh so dramatic ori storyline...that's been camped up to the point of silliness. in LITS that didn't happen. Instead of a superficial 'ooh, the evil priors will hurt people' we got to know and see the people they were gonna hurt. And if you know and see them, then you care about what happens to them. (this is why i found icon boring. the story depended on the audience giving a fig about hte civil war on the planet. but none of the characters were more than superficial so who cared who 'won' and who 'lost'...they were shallow little disposible things)

We get TOLD that the story is one thing, and then get shown just the opposite.

and then TPTB wonder why we sit there and go HUH?????

What they're telling us the show is supposed to be doesn't mesh with what they're showing us

I completely agree. Line in the Sand gave me some hope. There wasn't anything campy about it. Some humor was thrown in, but it was just the right amount for such a serious tone. What Line in the Sand showed me is what the show could have been all along, but unfortunately has not been in season 9 or the first half of season 10. Well, maybe it will continue to be better throughout the second half. I hope so. I want SG-1, the series, to go out strong in storytelling and in characterization.

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc View Post
                                I read that MS said in the recent TV zone interview that he wished that Daniel and Vala had more interaction with one another in season 10 like they did in the beginning of season 9.

I have to admit, that is the last thing I would want, but I know MS loves to work with CB. I feel that there is already way to much Daniel/Vala relationship stuff on the show---I can't imagine having more of it---especially of the type they had in the beginning of season 9.

For me, Daniel/Vala can't carry the show -- they have been the main relationship in the show in season 9 and the first half of season 10 and the ratings went down. The team got lost in the shuffle and this relationship has been front and center until the second half of season 10 with episodes like Line in the Sand and The Road Not Taken. Finally, in the second half we may see a bit more team and a bit more balance between all the characters---one can hope.

I read that interview as well and was quite surprised to hear MS say that. I get that he likes working with CB and she with him, but fcol, what's fun/interesting for him isn't necessarily what's fun/interesting for the audience as a whole. The first 5 eppies in S9 were extremely Daniel/Vala heavy and even in S10, there's been far too much Vaniel for me. I couldn't have handled a S10 with Vaniel to the forefront like it was in the beginning of S9.

Totally agree with you. I'm not that much of a Vala fan, but I really enjoyed her for the most part, in Line in the Sand. I think both Daniel and Vala are much better when they're allowed to interact with other team members; when they aren't Vaniel.

Comment

Working...
                                X