S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
    I don't think that Vaniel is doing Daniel any favours either, but at least Daniel has had nearly eight seasons (cumulatively) plus a movie without Vala around in which to develop his own character. Vala has not had this chance.
    but daniel IS getting characters growth... to male lead, and who gets the girl. isn't that what has been wanted for years? [/sarcasm]

sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      i do have to say, devil's advocate

we fanfic writers may have 'better' ideas...but we also don't have actors saying 'i won't say that' 'i have a doctor's appt and can't be on set tomorrow' 'i don't want to spend 3 days in that suit'...or directors saying 'yeah, well we can't afford to blow it up' 'we don't have an hour to restage this shot' 'we can't afford the effects' nor do we have network execs saying 'yes, well she's so and so's sister, so she gets the role' 'your budget is ......'

and so on and so on

I am free to write teal'c as i see him. same with jack or sam or daniel or jonas. I have no special effects budget nor do i have a deadline to meet. I write what i want, when i want and my only quality control is the level i hold myself to.

we fanfic writers also have the luxury of hindsight.
      what's also nice about being a fanfic writer is we can actually have consequences to events. we allow characters to change.

i remember in one of the next gen movies, data receives an emotion chip. he progressed. but in another one of their movies, he was back to acting like he'd just gotten off the assembly line. i remember being struck then and saying, 'but he's beyond that behavior now! waaaaay beyond that'. the thing is, ptb don't *really* want their characters to change, which is why you rarely ever see one of them marry or get a permanent disability and such. nothing too big that a next episode can't ignore.

the thing with season 9 was that the characters 'did' change a bit, but with no explanation (as though their original behaviors were just figments of our imaginations).

sally
      sally

sigpic

Comment

i would LOVE to see the 'girls' off on an adventure

there's such potential there.

avante guarde vala, risque and adventurous. sam, who's a bit quieter adn stedier...but an adrenaline junkie at her core. vala envying sam her friends and place in the SGC, sam maybe envying vala the freedom to do and say what she wants

sam jointly wishing she had vala's control over the goauld toys and spooked that she has the control and ease of use

vala wishing that she had sam's acceptance and friends, while kinda liking not having hte responsibility

they'd be identitical opposites and it'd be great to see them interacting. i think it'd only enrich both of them
        as much as i don't like vala, give this scenario to robert tapert. he wrote xena: warrior princess, which is, to me, THE best female friendship storyline i've ever seen. tapert brought out some of the most haunting and beautiful... i think i might start rewatching xena now (might help fill the void of losing stargate sg1 two seasons ago).

sally
        sally

sigpic

Comment

With regard to what you mentioned about the time restrictions, Skydiver, I was under the impression that actors aren't allowed to miss taping even when sick unless it's an utmost emergency.

Comment

LOLOL

and teal'c is holding up that pants rack

although..Pants can be a good description of s10 to many viewers.

Only if they are 3 days old and "filled". Think Brit terminology here. .

suse
            sigpic
            Mourning Sanctuary.
            Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by Sum1 View Post
              It does seem like they do know what they ahve done. In "200", it seemed to me as though they essentially said, "We know we did all this crap, but we expect you to like it".
              That was the impression I got while they were rubbing our noses in it.
              sigpic
              Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
              My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

i would LOVE to see the 'girls' off on an adventure

there's such potential there.

avante guarde vala, risque and adventurous. sam, who's a bit quieter adn stedier...but an adrenaline junkie at her core. vala envying sam her friends and place in the SGC, sam maybe envying vala the freedom to do and say what she wants

sam jointly wishing she had vala's control over the goauld toys and spooked that she has the control and ease of use

vala wishing that she had sam's acceptance and friends, while kinda liking not having hte responsibility

they'd be identitical opposites and it'd be great to see them interacting. i think it'd only enrich both of them
                That would be great. I could see Sam and Vala playing really well opposite each other.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                  Only if they are 3 days old and "filled". Think Brit terminology here. .

suse
                  Or Baldrick's.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                    as much as i don't like vala, give this scenario to robert tapert. he wrote xena: warrior princess, which is, to me, THE best female friendship storyline i've ever seen. tapert brought out some of the most haunting and beautiful... i think i might start rewatching xena now (might help fill the void of losing stargate sg1 two seasons ago).

sally
                    I wonder if Mr Tapert could be coaxed into showrunning a spinoff showing the further adventures of Sam, Vala and Teal'c.

Comment

Originally posted by Sum1 View Post
                      With regard to what you mentioned about the time restrictions, Skydiver, I was under the impression that actors aren't allowed to miss taping even when sick unless it's an utmost emergency.
                      i'm not privy to how it works, but life happens. I know there were some scenes in a s9 eps and Sam was supposed to have some lines, but taping ran long, she had a doctor's appt, so she was written out and her lines given to someone else or omitted.

just like in small vics, MS had appendicitis and ended up in the hospital. the eps still had to be taped, so his lines wre distributed amongst the others and life went on. Same thing in, on the Indian one, when the arrow came through the window, it wsa supposed to miss everyone, but RDA's girlfriend gave birth, ,so jack got hit by the arrow so that jack could be written out and many of jack's lines were given to Sam

Life happens and the show adapts accordingly
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

i'm not privy to how it works, but life happens. I know there were some scenes in a s9 eps and Sam was supposed to have some lines, but taping ran long, she had a doctor's appt, so she was written out and her lines given to someone else or omitted.
                        I thought that was in S8--the famous Sam shows she knows how to use a fax machine scene.

You know if I didn't know how good SG1 *could be* I'm sure I wouldn't be so bothered by the state of affairs in S9 & 10. It would just be a typical so-so scifi adventure show--good for wasting a little time on a weekend afternoon.

I was rewatching some S1 cast interviews & RDA and DDS both talked about how this was a show about *people* and how they deal with extraordinary situations and new worlds etc. I know over the course of years, some things are going to change. But IMHO some of the wrong things changed.

Comment

you're right, it was s8 and full alert.
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I have a few quick questions... well they might not be quick... yeah, well anyway.
                            First question: Do the actors watch the final product?
                            (Cause if they read the enitre script they may feel like they don't have to actually watch it.)
                            Second question: If they don't what the show, are they told which scenes/lines were cut out of the final product?

I ask this because this might explain why some of them act like there is nothing wrong with the show. They might believe they have covered certain issues, but in reality the audience never saw it. For example, AT and CB might believe that their characters interact on a regular bases on the show. However, most of their scenes together are cut out. Hence when they go to convention and hear some negative feedback, or are asked certain questions might not know why.

Comment

I have to ask - has anyone else seen the photos for quest part 2 and was I the only one that laughed out loud when looking at those ridiculous photos? (you will either know what I mean or not - my guess is most of you will know what I mean when you see them).

It saddens me to be so embarrassed for those on this show after they put so much effort into it for so many years to see it cheapened to such a rag-tag bunch of sci-fi cliches. Looks like part 2 of season 10 won't be much worth my time either since it seems to start out on such an inauspicious foot.

Comment

Originally posted by Amanda Eros View Post
                                I have a few quick questions... well they might not be quick... yeah, well anyway.
                                First question: Do the actors watch the final product?
                                (Cause if they read the enitre script they may feel like they don't have to actually watch it.)
                                Second question: If they don't what the show, are they told which scenes/lines were cut out of the final product?

I ask this because this might explain why some of them act like there is nothing wrong with the show. They might believe they have covered certain issues, but in reality the audience never saw it. For example, AT and CB might believe that their characters interact on a regular bases on the show. However, most of their scenes together are cut out. Hence when they go to convention and hear some negative feedback, or are asked certain questions might not know why.
                                I have asked the same thing and have long believed this is one of the problems that TPTKSG-1 have. I have read quite a number of times by numerous members on both sides of the camera that they do not watch the final, as aired, episodes. I believe this is one of the things wrong. They (including the actors) go through life with their rose colored SG-1 (ooopss make that SGC) glasses on thinking what fun and frivolity it is since they seem to have fun making the show but at the end of the day -- cliche and caricature riddled mediocrtiy comes out on screen and they don't seem to realize it - or refuse to acknowledge it.

Comment

Working...
                                X