S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
    this might not be the right thread, but does anyone know why ms didn't sign on for a season 11? and i've heard it was his choice. i'm just curious.

sally
    I'm not exactly sure but I think he did almost the same thing last year. He didn't sign on for season 10 right away and there was all this talk about him being a "free agent." It was around the time that he was doing the guest role on CSI Miami. I think he'd gotten a few offers in LA and was thinking them over but then ended up signing on for S10 as well (the only reason I've heard him doing so was because CB was going to be there).

I'm thinking it may be the same thing with season 11. He's made comments about moving his family "south" and the feeling I got was that he wanted to spread his acting wings - maybe he felt he was stuck in a rut (but then again, would he feel that way if he enjoyed working with CB so much?) and wanted to try some new things.

I don't have much of an idea but I wouldn't be surprised if it was something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Amanda Eros View Post
      Maybe the foothold aliens got a hold of him!
      Now, that theory makes sense!

Comment

some of you guys are sick of mitchell and want him gone, where with me, i'm sick of vala, totally. her character, to me, has been a bigger discoloration on this show than mitchell could ever be.

mistakes aside, i still think mitchell can fit into the sg1 team (but NOT as sole sg1 leader) and show, but vala... unless the sgc is not run by the military anymore, there's no way vala would be allowed to be on an sg team. i'm still having trouble with her being allowed on the blasted base!

i also know my probs with vala are that i know that she and daniel-vala will dominate the rest of the show (all 10 eps we have left). and since the first movie will tie up the ori storyline, i know she and d/v will also be present and possibly dominate. when you don't like something, and that something DOMINATES the show...

sally
        That's how I feel... my problem is more with Vala than with Cam.

I'm really not looking forward to the first movie. Just speculating here, but if it's going to tie up the bori storyline, I'm betting
        Spoiler:
        something may happen to Adria - either she is killed or incapacitated in some other way... huge angst for Vala who knows the kid is evil but the maternal instinct thing kicks in and she gets really upset... Enter the second half of Vaniel who comforts her for the remaining hour and ten minutes of the movie.

Comment

mistakes aside, i still think mitchell can fit into the sg1 team (but NOT as sole sg1 leader) and show, but vala... unless the sgc is not run by the military anymore, there's no way vala would be allowed to be on an sg team. i'm still having trouble with her being allowed on the blasted base!

i also know my probs with vala are that i know that she and daniel-vala will dominate the rest of the show (all 10 eps we have left). and since the first movie will tie up the ori storyline, i know she and d/v will also be present and possibly dominate. when you don't like something, and that something DOMINATES the show...
          For me, I think that Mitchell as a member of SG-1 would fit, but never as any kind of leader, not yet at any rate.

I could just about buy that Vala's knowledge of Ori-dominated society and her connection with the Orici would justify her being on SG-1 - though more as a consultant of sorts than as a member - but I think that Vaniel has done her character a huge disservice. Remove Daniel from the equation, and the character is far more likeable.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

this might not be the right thread, but does anyone know why ms didn't sign on for a season 11? and i've heard it was his choice. i'm just curious.

sally
            no idea.
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
              And when it does, there's always a miraculous and conveniently timed rescue.
              deus ex machina, the unnamed fifth/sixth member of the team

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                deus ex machina, the unnamed fifth/sixth member of the team
                Cambo has the Fairy God Parents from Fairly odd parents
                Signed,

Gregorius
                Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius View Post
                  Cambo has the Fairy God Parents from Fairly odd parents
                  lolol

'all i want for christmas is my own sg-team'

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    lolol

'all i want for christmas is my own sg-team'
                    Cambo: "I wish I could be the hewo!"
                    Cosmo: "Cool! Can I make a new unbeatable enemy too?!"
                    Cambo: "Yeah! I wish an unbeatable enemy which only I can beat!"
                    *** Zap, Cosmo created the Bori, and the new SG-1 ***
                    Wando: "Are you sure this is a good idea Cambo?"
                    Cambo: "Of course, what can go wrong?"
                    Signed,

Gregorius
                    Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                    Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

The problem is by far more Vala than Mitchell. Mitchell would have fit better on nthe team if they gave him a lower rank then Sam and intro-ed him far ealier. Even if it was just one or two eps in season 8. Anything to get us familiar with him.

Vala has stolen the show. It's all about Vala. The show evolves around her. There is many issues with Vala. The first problem is having the character portrayed as being childish. The pig tails, the getting Daniel's computer password before her could give it to her. The general behavior--even toned down is childish.

The second problem was all the sex remarks that Vala made in the first 6 eps of season 9. Those episodes were crucial in establishing Mitchell and Landry and Vala. They ignored Mithell for the most part. Landry seemed to be back ground furniture and Vala was all over the place. They knew they were going to be brining her back for season 10. CB already stated she would do it. They had lots of time to explain where Jack went. Give Sam a better absense excuse and work with Teal'c and Daniel.

Garek and the Jaffa! I like Louise Gossett Jr. but I found the character to be more of a throw in. They could have used Bra'tac for more of the Jaffa problems than having him run to the SGC at the first sign of trouble.

The first 6 episodes were crucial in: A-establishing the new enemy. B-explaining the new people. C-establishing the relationships between the old cast and new cast. D-establishing the situation between the two shows that do tie in together. E-establishing the new "male" lead. F-establishing a new female lead that is likeable from the start. Can't establish a character as a lead that half the viewers hate. G-establish Landry as a leader. H-establish time frames. K-establish order of events...especially when they tie into another sister series. L-establish situations with old characters. Asgard, Nox, Furlings ect. All of these task were fallen short on by the producers and writers of the show.
                      Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                        The problem is by far more Vala than Mitchell. Mitchell would have fit better on nthe team if they gave him a lower rank then Sam and intro-ed him far ealier. Even if it was just one or two eps in season 8. Anything to get us familiar with him.

Vala has stolen the show. It's all about Vala. The show evolves around her. There is many issues with Vala. The first problem is having the character portrayed as being childish. The pig tails, the getting Daniel's computer password before her could give it to her. The general behavior--even toned down is childish.

The second problem was all the sex remarks that Vala made in the first 6 eps of season 9. Those episodes were crucial in establishing Mitchell and Landry and Vala. They ignored Mithell for the most part. Landry seemed to be back ground furniture and Vala was all over the place. They knew they were going to be brining her back for season 10. CB already stated she would do it. They had lots of time to explain where Jack went. Give Sam a better absense excuse and work with Teal'c and Daniel.

Garek and the Jaffa! I like Louise Gossett Jr. but I found the character to be more of a throw in. They could have used Bra'tac for more of the Jaffa problems than having him run to the SGC at the first sign of trouble.

The first 6 episodes were crucial in: A-establishing the new enemy. B-explaining the new people. C-establishing the relationships between the old cast and new cast. D-establishing the situation between the two shows that do tie in together. E-establishing the new "male" lead. F-establishing a new female lead that is likeable from the start. Can't establish a character as a lead that half the viewers hate. G-establish Landry as a leader. H-establish time frames. K-establish order of events...especially when they tie into another sister series. L-establish situations with old characters. Asgard, Nox, Furlings ect. All of these task were fallen short on by the producers and writers of the show.
                        They did a lousy job with the transition. TPTB pretty much failed on all counts.

Vala still rubs me the wrong way. She is just silly now. She a little girl in a grown woman body. I find that to be a real turn off.
                        Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

I think that was essential. Major Mitchell would have been far better liked than Lt Colonel Mitchell has been. There also wouldn't have been the same issue over Jack-vs-Mitchell comparisons if he had been brought in as 2IC instead of as leader.

Did they know for certain at the time they were making the first five episodes of Season Nine that they would definitely be bringing CB back as a regular for Season Ten?

I would have thought that even if TPTB wanted her back and CB was willing to join the cast full time, budgetary issues would still have to be sorted out. If cast costs increase, the overall budget has to increase too or else money has to be taken from another area.

With Vala, I think the sex jokes have to be removed altogether or, at the very least, heavily rationed - for example, if the writers use a sex joke in episode one, they've used up their allowance for the next five episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue View Post
                            They did a lousy job with the transition. TPTB pretty much failed on all counts.

Vala still rubs me the wrong way. She is just silly now. She a little girl in a grown woman body. I find that to be a real turn off.
                            Maybe there's been some kind of personality meld between Vala and her daughter - after all, Adria is only a few months old but in an adult body.

Comment

IMO S9 was just schizo. After the first 6 eps, it became a different show. The first six eps featured Vala/Daniel, so when she left it was like, ok now what do we do. Now they had to play catch up with Mitchell. They were all over the place with Mitchell's character. Then they threw in the Landry/Lam issues that were horrible. Don't know what to do with Sam, well write in a old admirer.
                              Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Funny thing is happening to me. I read here and see how many feel exactly the same as me on the exact same points: Vala (immature childish whorelette), Vaniel (waste of time, energy, space, etc.), Mitchell (uuggghh!! is all I can muster he's so pathetic), Landry/Lam issues (pathetic too but in a different sort of way); makes me realize that by stopping watching the show I really did the right thing. In my opinion what it boils down to is that the show really truly sucked in S9 and was no better in S10.

Comment

Working...
                                X