S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
    Yes, I truly believe that adding Cameron and even Vala could have worked if TPTB had used a little common sense and taken their show a bit more seriously. Too bad they wanted "fun" and figured the audience wouldn't notice the nonsensical setup of season 9.
    I think that the first step, particularly in the case of Mitchell, should have been to think of it as adding the new characters to an existing show instead of dismantling the show in order to rebuild it centering around the newcomers.

Am I the only one who found it utterly ridiculous to see the new guy, the guy who had never even seen the stargate before, not only being given command of the flagship team the moment he walked through the door but also badgering three quarters of the original team - people who, to the best of his knowledge, had chosen to leave the SGC of their own free will - to join "his" SG-1?

It would have been far more sensible, not to mention far more fitting, for TPTB to let Sam, Daniel and Teal'c be the ones to welcome Mitchell to their team.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
      I think that the first step, particularly in the case of Mitchell, should have been to think of it as adding the new characters to an existing show instead of dismantling the show in order to rebuild it centering around the newcomers.

Am I the only one who found it utterly ridiculous to see the new guy, the guy who had never even seen the stargate before, not only being given command of the flagship team the moment he walked through the door but also badgering three quarters of the original team - people who, to the best of his knowledge, had chosen to leave the SGC of their own free will - to join "his" SG-1?
      No, you're not the only one.

It would have been far more sensible, not to mention far more fitting, for TPTB to let Sam, Daniel and Teal'c be the ones to welcome Mitchell to their team.
      Yes, but that would have made *sense.*

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        are they allowed to do that anymore?????

interact

it's been so long since it's happened, i don't quite remember what it is :/

Sadly I doubt it very much... Almost forgot what it was myself until I heard someone mention it on another site.

I thought "what is this word? .... Oh yeah it's something that SG-1 used to do on a pretty regular basis some time ago."

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
          No, you're not the only one.

Yes, but that would have made *sense.*
          What is this "sense" thing you speak of. I havent seen it in my favorite TV show in several years.
          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
            What is this "sense" thing you speak of. I havent seen it in my favorite TV show in several years.
            TPTB": "sense" isn't that short for sex 'n simplicity?
            Signed,

Gregorius
            Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
            Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Originally posted by saberhagen83 View Post
              I feel the same way. S9/10 have not interested me, so 1st movie will likely go the same path. The 2nd I hope wll be better. But I won't buy these, as I won't get 9/10 either. Unless they do the unthinkable and the movies would actually be good...oh that was just a dream I had last night. At least maybe the dream will come true for the 2nd movie?

Oh how I miss the days when the team was front and center. Can't remeber the last time there was some decent interaction between all players...
              Yep, I don't see myself buying the 1st movie as of now (never really was interested in the whole Bori thing). I'm just slightly more optimistic about movie 2 than movie 1.

So true... it didn't seem like that long ago when we had

all together and there was real camaraderie (sp? my spelling stinks, lol), not this silly "Okay, Vaniel you're on one team, now you go play with the Bori... Wallpaper...er...Sam and Teal'c, you're on the other team - go ...do something else" stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post

I'm with jckfan55... you're definitely not the only one. It would have made more sense to me for Sam, Daniel and Teal'c to welcome him to their team.

Something was definitely skewed there. It's another aspect of hewo thing I guess. Since Jack was promoted and left to go to Washington, The Big 3 decided to split up and it falls on the hewo to get them back together again!

Add to that Vala's arrival and subsequent stay and I think all logic and reason went bye-bye in S9 (and is certainly not due back in S10).

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
                  I think Vala may have stolen it along with one of those "treasures" she was after ...

Comment

vala and cameron coulda been integrated quite well into the show...but ya know, they didn't try to do that.

they had two characters, and then warped the existing show to fit these two spiffy new characters...and then wondered why folks stood up and went 'dudes, what the heck is going on'
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JessM View Post
                      I'm with jckfan55... you're definitely not the only one. It would have made more sense to me for Sam, Daniel and Teal'c to welcome him to their team.

Something was definitely skewed there. It's another aspect of hewo thing I guess. Since Jack was promoted and left to go to Washington, The Big 3 decided to split up and it falls on the hewo to get them back together again!

Add to that Vala's arrival and subsequent stay and I think all logic and reason went bye-bye in S9 (and is certainly not due back in S10).
                      Yeah, I had a big problem with them breaking up the team so the team could built around Mitchell. Mitchell was not qualified to be leader of any SGC team, much less SG-1.

I also had a big problem with them ignoring Vala crimes against Earth/AF. In fact I wished they had not brought her in at the beginning of S9. They needed to establish Mitchell and it seemed that Vala was the center of attention.
                      Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue View Post
                        Yeah, I had a big problem with them breaking up the team so the team could built around Mitchell. Mitchell was not qualified to be leader of any SGC team, much less SG-1.

I also had a big problem with them ignoring Vala crimes against Earth/AF. In fact I wished they had not brought her in at the beginning of S9. They needed to establish Mitchell and it seemed that Vala was the center of attention.
                        Given SG's history of recasting the same actors in different rolls If Coop wanted CB so badly they could have given her a better character to play, one that would fit into the SGC. Maybe have her as the new CMO, an officer from one of the allied countries perhaps, and forget about that silly Landry/Lam nepotism. But as we know that's all stinky water under the bridge
                        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                          Given SG's history of recasting the same actors in different rolls If Coop wanted CB so badly they could have given her a better character to play, one that would fit into the SGC. Maybe have her as the new CMO, an officer from one of the allied countries perhaps, and forget about that silly Landry/Lam nepotism. But as we know that's all stinky water under the bridge
                          This is just an aside but I have a friend who's written a cross-over Farscape/SG1 series. In that, there is no Vala but CB's Farscape character (Aeryn) ends up thru the gate and after much turmoil, is made a member of the team.

Of course, that character is a born and bred soldier so...makes sense.

I like Vala, but, yeah, I get what the issues are.

Comment

at least to my tastes, vala would have been a better fit had they accentuated more of the 'ex host' and less 'sexy thief'

less superficial 'fun' and games with her hitting on daniel, and more digging into what makes her tick and what haunts her at 3am
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

More of a history and how it has shaped her as a person.

That would be better for me
                              sigpic
                              Spoiler:
                              President of the 'AFTU Writers Association'
                              President of the 'Count to 15,000 Legends' club
                              Forum Charmer
                              Forum Ambassador
                              Prince of The Hugglings

CURA STORY LINE, ATFU Pg 53 - Pg 804 (751pages)
                              VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT1, AFTU Pg 804 - 912
                              VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT 2, AFTU - Pg 855

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                                at least to my tastes, vala would have been a better fit had they accentuated more of the 'ex host' and less 'sexy thief'

less superficial 'fun' and games with her hitting on daniel, and more digging into what makes her tick and what haunts her at 3am
                                Originally posted by ACharmedAsgard
                                More of a history and how it has shaped her as a person.

That would be better for me
                                Agreed on both counts. For me, I don't mind the fun, and I don't mind the quips but, as long as they're masking something deeper, the way a cold exterior might mask something that the person wants to keep hidden.

When the quips and the fun are all there is, I think they're vastly underusing the talent they've hired to play the part.

Comment

Working...
                                X