No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone--long time--hope the holidays treated everyone well.
    Read about the movies and my oh so not important opinion is that if it is nothing more than a continuation of S9&S10, I am not so sure enough of them will sell to keep MGM in the black.

But someone somewhere must think the numbers are there, which I dont believe for a second. The ratings for the second half of S10 should be interesting as well.
    Oh well--unless those movies contain the real SG1--I wont be buying.

Comment

Originally posted by pittsburghgirl View Post
      and that would make them differenet from how they are now? how?
      well...it would be a more isolated situation in which the could actually find the problem*. and they wouldn't be able to blame it on competition.

*if they LOOK which might end up being a tiny problem.
      sigpic
      "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
      Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by JessM View Post
        I'm not optimistic at all for movie 1 myself... Like sky I am a bit more about movie 2 because of Wright and Wood. Hopefully it won't be Vaniel-centric and we'll get some nice, long-overdue TEAM interaction.
        I feel the same way. S9/10 have not interested me, so 1st movie will likely go the same path. The 2nd I hope wll be better. But I won't buy these, as I won't get 9/10 either. Unless they do the unthinkable and the movies would actually be good...oh that was just a dream I had last night. At least maybe the dream will come true for the 2nd movie?

Oh how I miss the days when the team was front and center. Can't remeber the last time there was some decent interaction between all players...

Comment

i miss the days when i didn't have to dream about good stargate. in fact, i never had a dream of stargate being bad at all. ahh...naivete.
          sigpic
          "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
          Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by pittsburghgirl View Post
            and that would make them differenet from how they are now? how?
            Any new series would be an expensive venture, even more so if they are to bring one or more of the SG-1 cast over.

Even if TPTB think that the characters are perfect and wonderful, they will, I hope, have the sense to realize that if too few viewers share their opinion, Series 3 will not be a success.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by saberhagen83 View Post
              I feel the same way. S9/10 have not interested me, so 1st movie will likely go the same path. The 2nd I hope wll be better. But I won't buy these, as I won't get 9/10 either. Unless they do the unthinkable and the movies would actually be good...oh that was just a dream I had last night. At least maybe the dream will come true for the 2nd movie?

Oh how I miss the days when the team was front and center. Can't remeber the last time there was some decent interaction between all players...
              Before Season Nine (dis)graced our screens with its presence.

Comment

back in the good old days when the writers weren't allowed to only write this character or that character or these two, and let's ignore the rest

to thier defense, it's a pattern that started when rda's time was limited. and they reportedly had to do 9 months worth of work in 6, thus we got a lot of fractured filming. episodes deliberately written to have sam off here and teal'c off there and daniel off over there and it allowed them to tape 2-3 episodes at once, instead of one every 7 working days.

and the excuse of rda's schedule worked.

but now we have ben. who it has been said works all day, every day. he's there. there's no 21 days a month working or 3 days a week or off by noon on thursday to catch a plane. there's no huge amount of scenes shot with his standin, he's there, he's ready....and still the writers can't get over the 'oh no, can't have more than two actors in the scene at once, what will they do????' and the team is fractured to the point of not really being a team. they're just all wearing the same uniform

the writers got in a rut and can't get themselves out of it. complicate that with the obsession with Vaniel and the Bori...and you have a show with such a diminishing appeal that it died.

and, no matter who they try to blame, they have no one to blame but themselves. cause they did it. they killed the show. they turned 30% of its viewers away.

now if they'd jsut realize adn admit that, there might be some hope for the future. but i don't think the hubris will allow that.
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

If a third series ever gets a green light, there will have to be some major mind-set shake up. Everyone will have to re-learn how to write for an ensemble show, or it just won't make it.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    back in the good old days when the writers weren't allowed to only write this character or that character or these two, and let's ignore the rest

to thier defense, it's a pattern that started when rda's time was limited. and they reportedly had to do 9 months worth of work in 6, thus we got a lot of fractured filming. episodes deliberately written to have sam off here and teal'c off there and daniel off over there and it allowed them to tape 2-3 episodes at once, instead of one every 7 working days.

and the excuse of rda's schedule worked.

but now we have ben. who it has been said works all day, every day. he's there. there's no 21 days a month working or 3 days a week or off by noon on thursday to catch a plane. there's no huge amount of scenes shot with his standin, he's there, he's ready....and still the writers can't get over the 'oh no, can't have more than two actors in the scene at once, what will they do????' and the team is fractured to the point of not really being a team. they're just all wearing the same uniform

the writers got in a rut and can't get themselves out of it. complicate that with the obsession with Vaniel and the Bori...and you have a show with such a diminishing appeal that it died.

and, no matter who they try to blame, they have no one to blame but themselves. cause they did it. they killed the show. they turned 30% of its viewers away.

now if they'd jsut realize adn admit that, there might be some hope for the future. but i don't think the hubris will allow that.
                    I think that they needed to bring back some of the guest writers from the first five seasons when the show was on Showtime. Now I don't know if there are any contractual agreements between those writers and certain networks. But it would have helped to bring the current writing staff back into perspective. Plus, it's not like they would not have been familiar to the show. Hopefully they will think about that if they do get the third show.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                      There is nobody else to blame.

They knew what resources they had available to them in terms of actors and creative staff, Seasons Nine and Ten could have been very different - the good, workable suggestions for improvements I have seen on this thread and others are an illustration of this - but TPTB made their choice about the direction they wanted for the show, they cannot complain if their vision failed to appeal to enough viewers to merit renewal for Season Eleven.

It is not the responsibility of the consumers to keep supporting a product that no longer appeals to them, if they want to sell a product, it is for them to make it appeal to the consumers.

Comment

Originally posted by Amanda Eros View Post
                        I think that they needed to bring back some of the guest writers from the first five seasons when the show was on Showtime. Now I don't know if there are any contractual agreements between those writers and certain networks. But it would have helped to bring the current writing staff back into perspective. Plus, it's not like they would not have been familiar to the show. Hopefully they will think about that if they do get the third show.
                        I think that they definitely needed fresh faces in the writing department, if only so they could have someone there to ask the questions that needed to be asked.

Why is this guy being given command of the flagship team when he has no offworld experience? Wouldn't the other 26 or 27 SG team leaders be considered for, even offered the job before anybody considered giving it to a green newbie? When Sam comes back, how can Landry possibly justify not returning her to command, given Mitchell's lack of experience and the situation at hand?

Why on Earth would anyone let Vala into the SGC? Last time they ran into her, she hijacked the Prometheus and left all but one of the crew to die.

Why is the base commander's daughter allowed to serve as CMO? Isn't that a conflict of interest?

And so on...

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
                          *** snip ***

And so on...
                          TPTB: "It works for soaps."
                          Signed,

Gregorius
                          Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                          Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius View Post
                            TPTB: "It works for soaps."
                            Then I suggest that TPTB find a soap to work on and leave Stargate to those who will treat it better.

Comment

i do think they needed fresh perspectives.

cam and vala for example. both were needed in a way, the show's needed some fresh characters since the whole daniel/jonas mess showed that people didn't cotton too well to 'out of the blue new arrivals' (one of the harshest crits of jonas was him being intro'd in the same eps where daniel died...of course that was because MS quit so late that they couldn't rewrite/tape/edit preceeding eps, they were already in the can, so the writers can't be blamed for that)

yet, they knew that new characters are often open to a rocky welcome. but instead of preparing themselvs, hey let's mention a throw away character, let's establish major mitchell and sg23 on a mission as a toss away line, etc, they just kept going on status quo

and then, knowing that cam would have a rocky welcome, did they sit down and go 'mmmhm, ok, so just who is cam mitchell???' and flesh him out ahead of time?

nah

they just cut the writers loose and let everyone of them write cam as he wanted. and because of this, schizo cam shows up. solid one week, goofball the next, galactic screw up the next week and mister pity me after that.

how can we know how to receive him if they don't know how to write him?

It's like, even with coop's adoration of all things bori, they never sat down and fleshed out the whole season, they just all wrote what they wanted, had soem fun, homaged thier little hearts out...and then tried to cobble it all together in the end.
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Yes, I truly believe that adding Cameron and even Vala could have worked if TPTB had used a little common sense and taken their show a bit more seriously. Too bad they wanted "fun" and figured the audience wouldn't notice the nonsensical setup of season 9.

Comment

Working...
                                X