S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ses110 View Post
    I'm not the type of Fan who is going to stick with a Show or Movie no matter what just because I liked it in the past.
    I've never bought a Stargate DVD in my life. So, they really have to make the stories compelling for me to buy this one. I hope they know that.

The folks saying we have to buy these DVD's in order for there to be more miss the point that there shouldn't be more if the first two aren't good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      cameron IS better. he's more even and less 'hyper boy on ritalyn'

but vala....vala will NEVER be more than an accessory for Daniel. Shanks seems to love he as his 'female partner' and i think that's all coop will ever allow her to be.

they are so obsessed with making sure that daniel is now half of a ship that vala will never be more than daniel's girl. they had thier chance with MM to make her independant and separate...and instead she's just the damsel in distress for hero daniel to rescue.

as much as michael may adore working with her, the obsession with all things Vaniel is really doing nothing more than pumping up daniel's ego while it turns vala into a door mat.

and another female character falls victim to the Frat Boy's 18th century view of women. they ain't nuthin unless they're promoting 'thier man'

and if the man decides to leave the show....hey, what are we gonna do with this woman??? they'll just get rid of her and find someone younger to attach to someone else
      That's exactly how I see it. I guess it makes perfect sense that Michael enjoys working with her and enjoys the Vala character because it makes him front and center. Meanwhile she is like a cardboard cutout.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
        I think there is a very good chance the first movie wont sell let alone the second. I guess the second is pretty garuanteed at this point (too bad, unless they intend to fix everything). I doubt seriously that they will have a movie a year.

After all if lack of advertising, switching show times and long hiatuses were enough to throw off all the real stargate fans who are desperatly trying to find and watch the show, what hope will they have of finding DVD movies that will likely not be advertised that well and will be hard to find. Unless of course every stargate fan has notifications from Amazon setup or something.
        That's what I said when I first read the news. Really, how long can this "movie a year" deal go on? First there's the issue of the actors - would they be committed to doing this for a number of years (if that was actually a reality)? I personally don't think the first movie will sell very well. Oh sure, there are some die-hard fans who would buy it regardless of how bad it is (I know a few of these people), but I don't see it selling too well, at least not as well as it might if this had been done during, say, S7-8 time.

Comment

IMO the time to strike for the Movies was after Season 8.I think RDA would have loved to do Movies.RDA did not want to do a weekly series anymore and without the Jack character I thought there was little chance for the Show to be successful.

Comment

Yep, instead of strikeing while the iron was hot they waited and until it was all cold and set. Now they will strike it and likely break their hammer, if not their arm.
            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

It does make perfect sense.IMO SG-1 is not SG-1 if it is just focused on two characters.RDA could have easily taken over the Show but RDA made sure all characters played a big part in the Show.RDA knew how to be a team player.

Comment

There has been soo many examples of Shows continuing on past there prime and yet we still see TPTB all over not learning from mistakes others make.You have to have a feel for your own Show and have to understand what will happen if you lose a star Actor and character.If you end the Show at the right time you give yourself a chance at making successful Movies.Most Fans can tell when it time for a Show to call it quits.TPTB have to look at the big picture and forget any short term gain Money wise or they can destroy the future of there francise.

Comment

Originally posted by ses110 View Post
                  It does make perfect sense.IMO SG-1 is not SG-1 if it is just focused on two characters.RDA could have easily taken over the Show but RDA made sure all characters played a big part in the Show.RDA knew how to be a team player.
                  Yep, instead of strikeing while the iron was hot they waited and until it was all cold and set. Now they will strike it and likely break their hammer, if not their arm.

I gree with both of these comments. The fact that in season 8 RDA cut back on his time with the show, didn't hurt it. The first half of that season gave the show's rating of a 2.04. Now the first half of season 10 is a 1.54.

Not too many people will buy it, since something caused this gap in the ratings.

Comment

Originally posted by JessM View Post
                    That's what I said when I first read the news. Really, how long can this "movie a year" deal go on? First there's the issue of the actors - would they be committed to doing this for a number of years (if that was actually a reality)? I personally don't think the first movie will sell very well. Oh sure, there are some die-hard fans who would buy it regardless of how bad it is (I know a few of these people), but I don't see it selling too well, at least not as well as it might if this had been done during, say, S7-8 time.
                    The first movie is banking on fans wanting to know how the Bori conflict turns out. I personally could care less and I wouldn't buy it for the $19.99 price that most movies sell for. My kids will probably rent it so I will watch it then.

After the second movie, they will probably package them up together - 2 movies for the price of one.
                    Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Maybe they will package a bunch of extras into movie one. Like all outtakes from the previous 8 seasons. This would be low, but I could see them doing it.
                      Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

IMHO, the 'movie a year' will never happen.

movie #1 will be like 'legends of the rangers' a babylon 5 movie...that i found out was out on dvd when i found it in the bargin bin at Walmart.

IE no advertising beyond word of mouth in the fandom and the 'free' mgm newsletter that they mail out. Maybe a few 'win this dvd' contests with a few websites.

Movie 1 and 2 will happen. Enough stuff is down on paper that they're gonna happen. Atlantis s4 will happen. contracts have been signed.

series 3???? very, very doubtful, imho. By the time these two movies flop and mgm barely recovers thier investment in making them, about the only thing that'll get a series 3 will be if mgm finds a new creative team, maybe Ron Moore or the dude behind Heros or the guy behind Lost and can pimp them and hand htem the franchise to 'save'...thus trying to combine the flagging Stargate fandom, with its Farscape stragglers with the fandom of one of these creative teams who will check out Series three out of the curiosity of 'well, i liked his other work'

This whole 'movie a year' is just a carrot being dangled to keep fans' attention and hopes up. and talk is cheap. 'in the concept stage' simply means - l ikely - that the Frat Boys have been told 'well, we MIGHT consider it,b ut you need to come up with the show and then we'll talk about it'
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Maybe they will package a bunch of extras into movie one. Like all outtakes from the previous 8 seasons. This would be low, but I could see them doing it.
                          i see htem doing that more as a 'let's bilk more money from the fans by remastering all 10 seasons of hte dvd's with commentaries for every eps - the first 3 seasons don't have them - and outtakes, new specials'

it'll just be like Lucas, who is constantly repackaging the Star Wars movies to bilk more an more money from the same group of fans

sigpic

Comment

series 3???? very, very doubtful, imho. By the time these two movies flop and mgm barely recovers thier investment in making them, about the only thing that'll get a series 3 will be if mgm finds a new creative team, maybe Ron Moore or the dude behind Heros or the guy behind Lost and can pimp them and hand htem the franchise to 'save'...thus trying to combine the flagging Stargate fandom, with its Farscape stragglers with the fandom of one of these creative teams who will check out Series three out of the curiosity of 'well, i liked his other work'
                            *adds JMS to that list*

As for the third series, it should simply reboot the entire universe. The current PTB have screwed it up so much the last seasons with their inconsistancies and their Deus ex Machina solutions that creating a series in this universe would give even the best creative team a severe headache (The Ancients are the prime example of this).
                            Signed,

Gregorius
                            Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                            Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

it'll just be like Lucas, who is constantly repackaging the Star Wars movies to bilk more an more money from the same group of fans
                              Did you find their todo list or something?

B@B ToDo List:
                              - Beat B&B in the "How to destroy an establish Franchise" competition. [Almost done]
                              - Beat George Lucas in the "How do I keep milking my cow?" competition.
                              Signed,

Gregorius
                              Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                              Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

i would love JMS to get his hand on it. but i don't see it ever happening. he has too much of a wish to do HIS thing, and only his thing and will tell the network and thier 'suggestions' precisely what to go do with themselves

because of this, no networks seem willing to touch him, which is too bad, cause he's a great storyteller

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X