S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    i don't mean that they need to be dark and gritty like bsg...but some character interaction and depth would be nice.

interpersonal conflicts, angry moments, confrontations...conflict.

the show DESPEATELY needed some conflict. cause with that gone all that was left was the story, and it's pretty weak (and hey without the characters, bsg redux woulda lasted about as long as the first one did)
    Yup, yup. Character depth is definitely missing...

My LJ

Comment

take b5 for example.

ivanova HATED the psi corp. hated it with a passion.

then comes talia. and, right before she corked it, they led on that talia and ivanova were involved. and even though they were together, there was still conflict. talia 'turned off' and left part of herself at the door - her badge, and ivanova ignored talia's work because she cared for the woman

then, after talia is gone, there is a continuing issue with ivanova and bester and the psi corp

but it was never played for a joke. they never played the 'psi cop is killed and ivanova is a suspect'...they just had that tension there and it gave her character some fantastic depth.

that's the conflict the show is missing.

cam basically demoted sam. no matter how you dress it up, she got demoted in favor of the hewo. sam, the officer, should have been pissed. she may understand it, but she'd still resent it. daniel and teal'c should be ticked on her behalf. there should be some tension between them. cameron being the victim of someone else's machinations. or cam being the instigator of the whole thing

instead, oh it's ok. he's so cute and funny and, well who can be mad at the hewo?????

bye-bye characterizations in favor of making sure that the new hewo is loved and adored by all

there should have been repercussions of cam's appointment. harsh feelings,t ension, a snotty word or ten. it's natural, it's normal.

what we got fed to us was not 'normal'...it was writers who seemed to know that cam's charactre was fatally weak who were so desperate to sell him that they warped the others to make him fit
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

i
        <snip>
        give these characters some depth. eps like Sateda should be the norm, not the exception. develop these characters, delve into what makes them tick, why they get along, how they get along.
        <snip>
        I must be the only person who thought Sateda wasn't very good except for a few character moments.

Spoiler:
        I felt like I was watching a video game that just kept sending more bad guys when I progess to the next level.

And when the team took out like 20 wraith in a few minutes.. So much for scary villians.

Weak.

An inherent weakness even

I just don't think a showrunner should take the time out to direct an ep of a show (especially one he's not even running.) Who's watching his show responsibilities while he's doing something someone else can? The ones who already have several of their own eps on their plate and other resposibilities/positions to fill also? {sarcasm} <sigh> Of course things are going like a well-oiled machine on SG-1. There is plenty of time to do other things. {/sarcasm}

Suse
        Last edited by suse; 21 December 2006, 08:32 PM.
        sigpic
        Mourning Sanctuary.
        Thanks for the good times!

Comment

take b5 for example.

then comes talia. and, right before she corked it, they led on that talia and ivanova were involved. and even though they were together, there was still conflict. talia 'turned off' and left part of herself at the door - her badge, and ivanova ignored talia's work because she cared for the woman

then, after talia is gone, there is a continuing issue with ivanova and bester and the psi corp

but it was never played for a joke. they never played the 'psi cop is killed and ivanova is a suspect'...they just had that tension there and it gave her character some fantastic depth.

cam basically demoted sam. no matter how you dress it up, she got demoted in favor of the hewo. sam, the officer, should have been pissed. she may understand it, but she'd still resent it. daniel and teal'c should be ticked on her behalf. there should be some tension between them. cameron being the victim of someone else's machinations. or cam being the instigator of the whole thing

instead, oh it's ok. he's so cute and funny and, well who can be mad at the hewo?????

bye-bye characterizations in favor of making sure that the new hewo is loved and adored by all

there should have been repercussions of cam's appointment. harsh feelings,t ension, a snotty word or ten. it's natural, it's normal.

what we got fed to us was not 'normal'...it was writers who seemed to know that cam's charactre was fatally weak who were so desperate to sell him that they warped the others to make him fit
          Very nice post Sky. This is definitely what was missing. And other than a passing nod it was brushed over in !) as well.

And added to because Vala just had to be a full-fledged member of SG-1. Oy.

Suse
          sigpic
          Mourning Sanctuary.
          Thanks for the good times!

Comment

take b5 for example.

i started to say that i wonder if the ptb ever read our thoughts here, but i think they DO because mitchell and vala were written much better in season 10.

i'm good with mitchell now, but i'm barely warming up to vala. while she's 'better' this season, there's just *so* much of her (and the daniel-vala) that i don't ever want to see her again. maybe knowing that the second half of s10 is only going to be more of the vala/daniel bulldozer... i'm already wilting here.

let the second movie (the time travel) have sg1 stop themselves from ever disbanding the team and ever meeting vala. that should take care of some of 'my' probs with the show anyways.

sally
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
              I must be the only person who thought Sateda wasn't very good except for a few character moments.

Spoiler:
              I felt like I was watching a video game that just kept sending more bad guys when I progess to the next level.

And when the team took out like 20 wraith in a few minutes.. So much for scary villians.

Weak.

An inherent weakness even

I just don't think a showrunner should take the time out to direct an ep of a show (especially one he's not even running.) Who's watching his show responsibilities while he's doing something someone else can? The ones who already have several of their own eps on their plate and other resposibilities/positions to fill also? {sarcasm} <sigh> Of course things are going like a well-oiled machine on SG-1. There is plenty of time to do other things. {/sarcasm}

Suse
              I figure the more he is off doing something else, the less of his "vision" is being inflicted on SG-1. That should be a good thing if it were not for the other pod people who replaced the other SG-1 staff.
              Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

cameron IS better. he's more even and less 'hyper boy on ritalyn'

but vala....vala will NEVER be more than an accessory for Daniel. Shanks seems to love he as his 'female partner' and i think that's all coop will ever allow her to be.

they are so obsessed with making sure that daniel is now half of a ship that vala will never be more than daniel's girl. they had thier chance with MM to make her independant and separate...and instead she's just the damsel in distress for hero daniel to rescue.

as much as michael may adore working with her, the obsession with all things Vaniel is really doing nothing more than pumping up daniel's ego while it turns vala into a door mat.

and another female character falls victim to the Frat Boy's 18th century view of women. they ain't nuthin unless they're promoting 'thier man'

and if the man decides to leave the show....hey, what are we gonna do with this woman??? they'll just get rid of her and find someone younger to attach to someone else

sigpic

Comment

what i don't get....ok, coop tells AT that 'you're too busy to direct' and that they can't take her out of an eps to direct....so he, mister show runner, who's in charge of the whole shooting match, can head off to another set and spend a week or more directing....and like you said, who's driving the car while he's gone????

i'm probably a little grumpy this morning, but i'm seeing a bit of a double standard and a 'eh, the're just actors' and AT (along with ms and cj who are also not allowed to write/direct) are kept in thier place while mister show runner sees that his fine leadership has pretty much sunk his ship and is seeking to take care of his own future. (ie now that i've lost my job running this show into teh ground, who cares, i'll just head over here and get another one directing/writing...oh and all those people that are now out of work cause of my leadership skills.....eh, they'll be fine)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                    i started to say that i wonder if the ptb ever read our thoughts here, but i think they DO because mitchell and vala were written much better in season 10.

sally
                    hades will freeze before they'd ever admit that a fan had a point. we're just dismissed, told that we jsut have issues and are too stupid to understand their greatness

sigpic

Comment

what i don't get....ok, coop tells AT that 'you're too busy to direct' and that they can't take her out of an eps to direct....so he, mister show runner, who's in charge of the whole shooting match, can head off to another set and spend a week or more directing....and like you said, who's driving the car while he's gone????

i'm probably a little grumpy this morning, but i'm seeing a bit of a double standard and a 'eh, the're just actors' and AT (along with ms and cj who are also not allowed to write/direct) are kept in thier place while mister show runner sees that his fine leadership has pretty much sunk his ship and is seeking to take care of his own future. (ie now that i've lost my job running this show into teh ground, who cares, i'll just head over here and get another one directing/writing...oh and all those people that are now out of work cause of my leadership skills.....eh, they'll be fine)
                      Well RCC makes me grumpy too. It seems a bit self indulgent to decide to *assign yourself* to directing when you've got all these other responsibilities. I wonder if he was best back in the days when he was a story editor(season 1?) . Other writers seemed to have good *science* fiction ideas. Maybe he just helped organize the scripts. Do we have the Peter Principle at work here? (or as Jack would say "failing upwards I see")

Comment

"In any hierarchy any employee tends to rise to their level of incompetence." ~ Core of the Peter Principle.

I think this applies to the current PTB.
                        Signed,

Gregorius
                        Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                        Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

and then some seeing as how it's augmented by a hearty case of hubris

sigpic

Comment

I see TPTB finally dropped the Season 11 dream and now what to make one Movie a year.Where were they with this idea after Season 8.W e could have enjoyed a couple of great Movies by now without Vala and Mitchell.Now we still have to wait to see if RDA is involved.If RDA is not involved there is a good chance the first two Movies may not sell then that could be the end of additional Movies.

Comment

I think there is a very good chance the first movie wont sell let alone the second. I guess the second is pretty garuanteed at this point (too bad, unless they intend to fix everything). I doubt seriously that they will have a movie a year.

After all if lack of advertising, switching show times and long hiatuses were enough to throw off all the real stargate fans who are desperatly trying to find and watch the show, what hope will they have of finding DVD movies that will likely not be advertised that well and will be hard to find. Unless of course every stargate fan has notifications from Amazon setup or something.
                              Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

I will have to see a Movie a year become reality before I believe it.I would love to see the second Movie get rid of the Vala and Mitchell characters and leave just the original team.The way things are going now I have very little hope for the first two Movies.Many of the Shows long time Fans may need to won over againa dn I'm one of them and I'm not sure TPTB are up to the task.So far both Movies sound more of the Same from Season 9 and 10 and the thought of more time travel worries me greatly.

Comment

Working...
                                X