S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
    *shakes head* I thought it was the Christmas season, and what is Spacecast doing? Showing that gawd auful MM on thursday

well maybe I'll catch a rerun of ER instead
    Sounds like a good plan to me! MM is one episode that I can't bear to watch again...and def. an ep that I watched one time too many (aka once).
    Last edited by JessM; 20 December 2006, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
      I've gotta say that I was VERY surprised when I read that part of the interview, because that is the exact opposite of how Beau Bridges sounded when he was interviewed for the 200th Episode special that aired on SciFi. It's very disappointing to see how that POV may have changed. And I don't think any words were left out, because that entire last paragraph is chock-full of the same ideas... Very odd.

Yeah, I'm not so sure about all of that. Surely CB and BB and Beau Bridges contributed to the last two years of the series, but they're certainly NOT the reason why the show has lasted for ten years. Not by any stretch of the imagination.
      Ditto. I know they're his opinions and he's welcome to him... but the comment about the show not reaching these ground-breaking moments until CB and BB arrived left me scratching my head and wondering if I've been watching something else all along. He, CB and BB joined in the last 2 years. In the last 2 years, the ratings were not as strong as they were during S8. I don't see how they are the reason the show has lasted for ten years.

Comment

yes, i know he put the words out there. and y es, they don't exactly put him in the best light.

and yes, you can take issue with the WORDS. but some folks were getting pretty close to taking issue with the PERSON which was getting close to crossing that 'respect the person' line we try not to cross.

That's the meaning of my post.

Tear the words apart all you want, but the person is wearing kevlar and teflon and really should be left alone.

It is also impossible for a person to truly know his state of mind because y'all ain't in his mind.

I personally don't think someone iwth a career as long and varied as Beau's has gotten that way had he had a habit of shooting his mouth off and sticking his foot in it.
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I think there's a completely different interpretation to Beau's comments. In fact, I'm really surprised to see that people are taking his comments in such a negative way.

GW ask Beau about if the 2ooth was like this for him: "It's their 200th. I'm just kind of along for the ride." Which is kind of rude (though I'm sure not intentionally), implying that Beau had nothing to do with getting to the 200th, which isn't true. He was there for two years. Sure it's not the same as 10 years, but it's not nothing.

So when Beau said that eight years is different than ten years, he was talking about what a huge milestone 10 years is. Sure 8 years is a lot, but 10 years is more impressive, a real milestone. And when he said that he, Ben, and Claudia were there for those ground-breaking moments, he was talking about them being there in the tenth year and for the 200th ep. Notice how the question was about the 200th ep. He wasn't saying that they were there for everything big that ever happened on the show. He was referring to the milestone of the 200th. I think this is where the misunderstanding is coming from.

I got the impression from his answer that he was proud of being part of SG-1 during this time. That's all.

Has anyone ever heard Beau Bridges sound arrogant in an interview before? I haven't. I think this is a guy who is happy to be part of SG-1 and proud to be around during the tenth year.

Anyway, that's how I took his interview when I read it the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by BPC View Post
            [I]I think it's me but I want to ask - does anyone else think Beau Bridges is living in a dream-world? See the excerpts from interview which I pasted here;

Then there is the part he says:

GW: Yeah, the 200th episode. That was quite a milestone for the franchise. You probably, I would imagine, were feeling like "It's their 200th. I'm just kind of along for the ride."

BB: No, I felt good about being part of it, because eight years is a lot different than ten years. The show didn't kick into those groundbreaking moments until Ben and Claudia and myself came aboard. Speaking for myself, I enjoy it so much, and I feel that I am a part of that show now, and I always will be, because I was along for a good part of it. I think it's a wonderful show. And I think it'll go on in some fashion.
            Groundbreaking? Perhaps, but not in a *good* way. I'm not out to boil him in oil, I just disagree with the characterization as reported here.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
              Groundbreaking? Perhaps, but not in a *good* way. I'm not out to boil him in oil, I just disagree with the characterization as reported here.
              I do too, some of it just doesn't sit right
              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by ShardsofGlass View Post
                I think there's a completely different interpretation to Beau's comments. In fact, I'm really surprised to see that people are taking his comments in such a negative way.

GW ask Beau about if the 2ooth was like this for him: "It's their 200th. I'm just kind of along for the ride." Which is kind of rude (though I'm sure not intentionally), implying that Beau had nothing to do with getting to the 200th, which isn't true. He was there for two years. Sure it's not the same as 10 years, but it's not nothing.

So when Beau said that eight years is different than ten years, he was talking about what a huge milestone 10 years is. Sure 8 years is a lot, but 10 years is more impressive, a real milestone. And when he said that he, Ben, and Claudia were there for those ground-breaking moments, he was talking about them being there in the tenth year and for the 200th ep. Notice how the question was about the 200th ep. He wasn't saying that they were there for everything big that ever happened on the show. He was referring to the milestone of the 200th. I think this is where the misunderstanding is coming from.

I got the impression from his answer that he was proud of being part of SG-1 during this time. That's all.

Has anyone ever heard Beau Bridges sound arrogant in an interview before? I haven't. I think this is a guy who is happy to be part of SG-1 and proud to be around during the tenth year.

Anyway, that's how I took his interview when I read it the first time.
                This interpretation would certainly make more sense, although it isn't how I interpreted his words when I initially read them.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by JessM View Post
                  Sounds like a good plan to me! MM is one episode that I can't bear to watch again...and def. an ep that I watched one time too many (aka once).

is MM that 'mentos memorial', or whatever that vala-centric ep was?

sally
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                    is MM that 'mentos memorial', or whatever that vala-centric ep was?

sally
                    Momento Mori. Yup. Not that I have any intention of watching more than once. It was enough. All that good work CB did with junk material and all I remember clearly is
                    Spoiler:
                    Cam "the action hewo-man" popping a wheelie

and truly hideous fun to mock editing.

I laughed several times during the episode. But not because it was funny. At least in the way they meant it to be funny.

Suse
                    sigpic
                    Mourning Sanctuary.
                    Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by JessM View Post
                      Ditto. I know they're his opinions and he's welcome to him... but the comment about the show not reaching these ground-breaking moments until CB and BB arrived left me scratching my head and wondering if I've been watching something else all along. He, CB and BB joined in the last 2 years. In the last 2 years, the ratings were not as strong as they were during S8. I don't see how they are the reason the show has lasted for ten years.
                      Neither do I.

The original cast, the writers, directors and the episodes they created for the "old" show are the reason the show lasted as long as it did.

To be honest, I think that the Sci-Fi channel execs were so determined to reach their milestone that they would have continued until the end of Season Ten with AT, CJ, MS and a couple of completely unknown actors if CB and the two BBs hadn't been available.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                        Momento Mori. Yup. Not that I have any intention of watching more than once. It was enough. All that good work CB did with junk material and all I remember clearly is
                        Spoiler:

I laughed several times during the episode. But not because it was funny. At least in the way they meant it to be funny.

Suse
                        I was just bored.

The storyline had some real potential to develop Vala's character, and delve into her past a bit and it was wasted.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                          Spoiler:

Suse
                          Yep, same here... was not laughing with them, more laughing AT them in a "are you serious" way.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
                            Neither do I.

The original cast, the writers, directors and the episodes they created for the "old" show are the reason the show lasted as long as it did.

To be honest, I think that the Sci-Fi channel execs were so determined to reach their milestone that they would have continued until the end of Season Ten with AT, CJ, MS and a couple of completely unknown actors if CB and the two BBs hadn't been available.
                            You know, I wouldn't doubt that. I honestly didn't think the show would be renewed for a tenth season at first... then I guess it sort of made sense that SciFi would do it just so they could say they had ten seasons of the show (even though that network itself only had them for four seasons).

Comment

MM stands for
                              Majorly Mediocre

or Missed by a Mile

it COULD have been so good, but as with so much this year, they took the quick and easy way out, depended on quips and slapstick and fell on tehir Vaniel sword and the whole episode fell flat because of it
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Yep, it definitely looks like I'll have to find something else to watch tonight. I can't risk getting sick so close to Christmas
                                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Working...
                                X