No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BB has been in the business for a long time and I cannot believe that he was that naive during the interview-either that or he was on....well in the interest of not giving the mods heart failure-I won't fill in the blank.
    Last edited by pittsburghgirl; 20 December 2006, 10:17 AM. Reason: trying to be nice
    Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

Originally posted by BPC View Post
      I think it's me but I want to ask - does anyone else think Beau Bridges is living in a dream-world? See the excerpts from interview which I pasted here;

I know that MGM certainly, really values the Stargate franchise and they intend to make some movies with it. I don't know if that'll ever happen, but that's what their intention is. It made them a whole lot of money so I would imagine that would be an impetus for them to continue. We went out with very strong ratings, so that's a good feeling. It wasn't like we were weak in the knees there. I think the last show, the 200th, scored huge.

GW: I think 1.9.

The bold part is where I went HUH? Does anyone else know what he is talking about? One episode at 1.9, and THAT one had RDA and a milestone attached to it and the others all around 1.3, 1.4 and 1.5 and they were strong? After 2.4s? HUH??

Then there is the part he says:

GW: Yeah, the 200th episode. That was quite a milestone for the franchise. You probably, I would imagine, were feeling like "It's their 200th. I'm just kind of along for the ride."

BB: No, I felt good about being part of it, because eight years is a lot different than ten years. The show didn't kick into those groundbreaking moments until Ben and Claudia and myself came aboard. Speaking for myself, I enjoy it so much, and I feel that I am a part of that show now, and I always will be, because I was along for a good part of it. I think it's a wonderful show. And I think it'll go on in some fashion.

All I say again is HUH?? Somehow this sounds so arrogant that without his participation (and BB and CB there would be no show). Au contraire dear sir, there is no show without the first 8 years and you (BB and CB) were no where to be seen for ALL of those 8 years and in my book the arrival of, and handling of, the new characters and changes got the show axed. They were lucky to get 10 years and the only reason they got it (and BB, BB and CB were along for the ride without having really contributed to the success, was because Sci-Fi was desperate to get the US record bragging rights and they would have shown sh-t (and they did, in my opinion) to get the record). This kind of thing is so out there it is really hard to understand where this guy is even coming from, in my opinion.
      Yes definitly someones medication needs to be updated. JMHO.
      Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

I think it's me but I want to ask - does anyone else think Beau Bridges is living in a dream-world? See the excerpts from interview which I pasted here;

I know that MGM certainly, really values the Stargate franchise and they intend to make some movies with it. I don't know if that'll ever happen, but that's what their intention is. It made them a whole lot of money so I would imagine that would be an impetus for them to continue. We went out with very strong ratings, so that's a good feeling. It wasn't like we were weak in the knees there. I think the last show, the 200th, scored huge.

The bold part is where I went HUH? Does anyone else know what he is talking about? One episode at 1.9, and THAT one had RDA and a milestone attached to it and the others all around 1.3, 1.4 and 1.5 and they were strong? After 2.4s? HUH??

GW: Yeah, the 200th episode. That was quite a milestone for the franchise. You probably, I would imagine, were feeling like "It's their 200th. I'm just kind of along for the ride."

BB: No, I felt good about being part of it, because eight years is a lot different than ten years. The show didn't kick into those groundbreaking moments until Ben and Claudia and myself came aboard. Speaking for myself, I enjoy it so much, and I feel that I am a part of that show now, and I always will be, because I was along for a good part of it. I think it's a wonderful show. And I think it'll go on in some fashion.

All I say again is HUH?? Somehow this sounds so arrogant that without his participation (and BB and CB there would be no show). Au contraire dear sir, there is no show without the first 8 years and you (BB and CB) were no where to be seen for ALL of those 8 years and in my book the arrival of, and handling of, the new characters and changes got the show axed. They were lucky to get 10 years and the only reason they got it (and BB, BB and CB were along for the ride without having really contributed to the success, was because Sci-Fi was desperate to get the US record bragging rights and they would have shown sh-t (and they did, in my opinion) to get the record). This kind of thing is so out there it is really hard to understand where this guy is even coming from, in my opinion.
        I've gotta say that I was VERY surprised when I read that part of the interview, because that is the exact opposite of how Beau Bridges sounded when he was interviewed for the 200th Episode special that aired on SciFi. It's very disappointing to see how that POV may have changed. And I don't think any words were left out, because that entire last paragraph is chock-full of the same ideas... Very odd.

Yeah, I'm not so sure about all of that. Surely CB and BB and Beau Bridges contributed to the last two years of the series, but they're certainly NOT the reason why the show has lasted for ten years. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

Comment

It sounds like the man has put too much importants on his contribution to the Stargate franchise.

Yeah eight years is different than 10 but you were only there for 2. AT, CJ and MS were there for the full 10.
          Last edited by Rogue; 20 December 2006, 12:19 PM.
          Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Yep. I'd say this interview is more spin for the show.
            Last edited by LaCroix; 20 December 2006, 12:21 PM. Reason: syntax and spelling

Comment

I found that paragrapgh odd as well and did wonder if he missed his meds or if the inter-viewer did some late night typing.
              Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix View Post
                Yep. I's say this interview is more spin for the show.
                Thats is the main reason I don't read interviews.
                Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

So, there’s this wagon race. It’s a race US coast to coast. The wagon has a 4 man team with a cool sleek secondary support wagon on the side helping out from time to time.

Now the 4 man team has this wagon running so smooth it is far, far ahead of its competition and is even in position to set a record. Then in Ohio their support wagon suffers two tragedies among its crew and decides that this is a good stopping point as they have faith the team can continue and bids them farewell.

The 4 man team keeps going and just before they hit the state border of NY one of the team has a family issue and has to leave. Instead of bringing on just the needed replacement with the needed skill the sponsors decide that they can go even FASTER if they bring on a new fancy 2 man team with somewhat redundant skills to the three man team that are already there and for good measure they will throw the new support guy on the same wagon (why waste the money for a second wagon). Sadly the extra weight cracks the wagon frame and it slows way way down.

The competition starts to catch up but because of the momentum already built up by the hard work of the original 4 man crew (and support) the wagon only needs to coast to get the victory and the record. Now they do have to coast, they cant just break down, so a little effort is still required by the team. Thanks primarily to the excellent experience, skill and preparedness of the original three they are able to keep the wagon going just long enough to get to the shore and win the race in record time.

Were the 3 new people were physically on board the wagon when they set the record? Sure.
                  Did the 3 new people contribute to the win? They helped it continue to coast, sure.

Did they go out strong? Uh, no.
                  Did the 3 new people being there cause the record to be set? No. The early part of the race (the part where they got the big lead, built up all the momentum, earned and learned their experience) caused that.
                  Were the three new people even "along for a good part of it"? Not even. They were there for one state, when the wagon broke and slowed way way down. One can even say their weight caused the slowdown and caused them almost not to make the record. If it were not for the original team getting such a huge lead and getting so, so very close they may have failed. Thankfully (I guess) the momentum alone carried them across the line.

So like bandwagon jumpers not to be there when the hard work is done but then to jump on and take credit in the end. Probably would have pushed the original three off the wagon right before the finish line if they could have gotten away with it.
                  Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

guys, unless any of you have a personal link to Beau or can read his mind, you cannot know what his words really meant.

so let's calm down on the boiling in oil huh??
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                      guys, unless any of you have a personal link to Beau or can read his mind, you cannot know what his words really meant.

*turns off burners*

Comment

I don't really see any boiling in oil (unless soemthing has been modded that I missed) - just people like me commenting on what is publicly available information as quoted in an interview. I think I'm pretty intelligent and at least smart enough to understand what I read and what it means, I read newspapers and watch TV every day (news or whatever) and I can handle that pretty well so an interview by Beau Bridges is not that hard to figure out or understand.

Comment

I don't really see any boiling in oil (unless soemthing has been modded that I missed) - just people like me commenting on what is publicly available information as quoted in an interview. I think I'm pretty intelligent and at least smart enough to understand what I read and what it means, I read newspapers and watch TV every day (news or whatever) and I can handle that pretty well so an interview by Beau Bridges is not that hard to figure out or understand.
                          Well, to be honest, I personally was uncomfortable with the "medication" comments. Beyond that? I think it's a GW rule, not to discuss the state of mind of the actors.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post

I understand that you've got to do your moddly duties here, and I respect that.

However...

BB put the words out there. If he meant something other than what he said-well he's been in the business long enough to know better than to be obtuse when giving interviews. There is some element of personal responsiblity that a person giving an interview must take in how their words are perceived. He came across as very arrogant and if that turns people off him, and has people commenting on it-well he's got no one but himself to blame for that.

I trust GW-I don't believe the interviewer was attempting to put a negative spin on what he said. In fact, it seemed like the interviewer was trying to give him ways to positively spin his words.

On yet another hand...I agree that making allegations as to his chemical assistance, or lack thereof, isn't the fairest way to comment on his wording. However (again! I'm of five minds, you see) I do think that once he gave the interview, and GW posted it, that the words themselves, and the meanings behind them are fair game.
                            Last edited by Deejay435; 20 December 2006, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435 View Post
                              I understand that you've got to do your moddly duties here, and I respect that.

However...

BB put the words out there. If he meant something other than what he said-well he's been in the business long enough to know better than to be obtuse when giving interviews. There is some element of personal responsiblity that a person giving an interview must take in how their words are perceived. He came across as very arrogant and if that turns people off him, and has people commenting on it-well he's got no one but himself to blame for that.

I trust GW-I don't believe the interviewer was attempting to put a negative spin on what he said. In fact, it seemed like the interviewer was trying to give him ways to positively spin his words.

On yet another hand...I agree that making allegations as to his chemical assistance, or lack thereof, isn't the fairest way to comment on his wording. However (again! I'm of five minds, you see) I do think that once he gave the interview, and GW posted it that the words themselves, and the meanings behind them are fair game.
                              I agree. There are better and more gracious ways of answering the question.

Rogue

Comment

AGateFan I need to spread some green around before I can send you some for that post!

Oh dear, that seems to be rather unfortunate phrasing on Beau's part (look Mum, SEE I CAN be polite when I try ). I do really hope he didn't mean that as it sounds, because you know that 8 seasons that peaked towards the end at 2.4 is a lot better than 25 episodes to cancellation
                                -

Comment

Working...
                                X