S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ahem!

I know that this is terribly off topic-but I have to, I have to.My daughter Zehava has been accepted Early Decision to Tufts University-School of Engineering-class of 2011
    Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

Originally posted by pittsburghgirl View Post
      Ahem!

I know that this is terribly off topic-but I have to, I have to.My daughter Zehava has been accepted Early Decision to Tufts University-School of Engineering-class of 2011
      Congrats pittsburghgirl and especially Zehava
      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
        I love your point about Adria. Even if you decided to make her young, why does that necessitate scantily clad? And actually most traditional cultures revere the elderly, so they could have had Adria age or appear to age to around 70, so that she'd be seen as a wise elder and therefore have more credibility with the average villager. Wouldn't that have been turning tv convention on its head?
        That would have been different - but it probably would have ruined their plan for Vala-the-sex-object if she'd had a seventy-year old (at least physically) daughter.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

yep, 'old' isn't sexy

adria's cosuming doesnt' jive with the Ori. they're all about prayer and purity, etc...yet i just don't quite envision cleavage and tight dresses when i think of prayer and purity (unless it's along the lines of 'he doesn't have a prayer of getting to home plate with her')
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
            yep, 'old' isn't sexy

adria's cosuming doesnt' jive with the Ori. they're all about prayer and purity, etc...yet i just don't quite envision cleavage and tight dresses when i think of prayer and purity (unless it's along the lines of 'he doesn't have a prayer of getting to home plate with her')
            If they'd kept Adria as a kid, I could see the whole "and a little child shall lead them" thing, and an older Adria would have had the wise elder thing, but the version they have doesn't fit with the Ori.

Comment

yep, 'old' isn't sexy

Just had to say Can't green ya again.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
                If they'd kept Adria as a kid, I could see the whole "and a little child shall lead them" thing, and an older Adria would have had the wise elder thing, but the version they have doesn't fit with the Ori.
                Well lord knows tptb need SOMEONE to lead them! Find a kid somewhere...
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                  Well lord knows tptb need SOMEONE to lead them! Find a kid somewhere...
                  Doesn't AT bring Olivia to the set with her? She can be executive producer for the movies.

Comment

yep, 'old' isn't sexy
                    Tell that to Lauren Bacall

The Adria costume looks more like what Vala wore as Q'tesh, which, of course, works for Q'tesh. I agree; you'd think worshippers of the Ori would not be swayed by a shiny gold dress.

That's it...shiny...

Comment

Ahem!

Wow! Awesome. And Engineering-go Zehava. Congratulations.

Comment

Ahem!

Yay for your daughter! Tuft program to get into, right? hehe sorry
                        Just kidding, you must be super - proud, congratulations to her and you!
                        Words have tremendous power. The right words spoken by the right people at the right times can lift up communities, transform lives, mend relationships, break hearts—even topple empires.
                        Quint Studer

Comment

WOW! thank you-all of you for the warm fuzzies you have sent for my daughter-you are a really great group.
                          Last edited by pittsburghgirl; 15 December 2006, 02:02 AM. Reason: can't spell
                          Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

yep, 'old' isn't sexy

The idea of purity and prayer most people in the Western World, or rather the parts of the world that are heavily dominated by Judaism, Christinaity and Islam, have is an idea that is derived from Judiasm and doesn't celebrate the body. From what I recall from my religion classes most of the religions do celebrate the body. Besides that, from a marketing perspective it's highly understanding why they'd pick a gorgeous looking woman to depict their religion. Woman would want to be like her and men would simply, to put it in PG terms, want to have adult fun with her, and this of course would be the other way around if the "chosen" would be an attractive male.

The main problem the writers introduced is that they based origin on medieval christianity and thus the current Adria leading origin isn't what most people expected a leader of a puritanical society to be, but, as I said earlier, as a marketing thing it's quite clever. Especially does it make sense if you want to convert people from a religion which celebrated beauty, the Goa'uld mythos, to puritanical society because it would give people something they recognize and feel familiar with.

That being said, most people, if not all, in this thread know that the reason they made Adria like that, played by a very attractive actress, is to target the main demographic which usually is a white male in the 15 ~ 25 age group, with a subdemographic of the "nerd" class.
                            Signed,

Gregorius
                            Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                            Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

if origin had been, let's say Hindu based, then yes, adria would fit right in. Kali and others are frequently depicted in clothing that is easily defined as scanty if not partially nude

but the juxtaposition of medieval - where folks covered up every part of their body - and adria's assets hanging out just doesn't jive. Especially with the overuse of the Medieval Village set and the puritanical mindset it implies, in 'reality' adria would be disbelieved and bashed because of her dress. If she really wante to appeal to the 'true' medieval mindset, she'd dress nicely but demurely, probably in white, the color of purity. A flowing white gown, playing into the image of angels and try to subvert a bit of christianity into her Ori

but yeah, marketing is that the nubile sexy female alien must dress sexily....even if it makes no sense to teh plot as a whole. Especially given that Women in medieval christianity are seen as pretty much worthless other than being baby makers. Adria would be immediately discounted for teh simple fact of her gender. If they really wanted to play into christiantiy and the medieval stuff, Adria shoulda been a He and they should have toyed with the 'second coming' aspect of it all...but again, that woulda taken away their marketing fun of 'sexy female alien'

And when they'er so predictible, they wonder why fans in general get bored
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

if origin had been, let's say Hindu based, then yes, adria would fit right in. Kali and others are frequently depicted in clothing that is easily defined as scanty if not partially nude
                                Very true and it would appeal far more to the named demographic than a medieval christianity based religion, they could've even incorporated some of the Hindu books (Although I strongly doubt the US censors would allow it, considering they are as puritanical as the medievals).

Anyway, I think we're in agreement on the fact that TPTB made a huge mistake by basing origin on medieval Christinanity and not explaining the choices they made for Adria clearly.

If they really wanted to play into christiantiy and the medieval stuff, Adria shoulda been a He and they should have toyed with the 'second coming' aspect of it all...but again, that woulda taken away their marketing fun of 'sexy female alien'
                                Not only that, it would also have resulted in protesting and lawsuits, sidenote question: Why does it seem like people don't take responsibility for their actions in the US?, in the current US political and social climate where the loudmouth, which in general are those people we see on TV here in Europe, consensus seems to be "You will not mock Christianity and you will obay our rules. If you fail to comply to this we'll sue and protest your arses by yelling "Think of the Children" and other populair credos until you bend to our will."

And when they'er so predictible, they wonder why fans in general get bored
                                Because, and this relates to my sidenote question, they don't take responsibility for their actions. They have the mindset of "It's not our fault, but <insert lame excuse>" or in other words, they're acting like toddlers pointing fingers at everyone except at themselves.
                                Signed,

Gregorius
                                Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                                Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Working...
                                X